• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dippa

Oct 29, 2017
Kotaku Australia's got a separate Xbox Series S review up as well: Xbox Series S review up as well:

Even without the benefit of the disc drive (and access to cheap Xbox 360/Xbox One games that will go sale from November onwards), the size, look and library of the Series S can be very compelling.

And just imagine a year from now. Microsoft will start bundling the console with two or three games and a three month Xbox Game Pass subscription. By then, you'll have a new year's worth of FIFA, Madden and other EA games courtesy of the EA Play integration. That's a powerful retail pitch, and the sheer volume of games even gives Xbox ammunition when competing against something like the Nintendo Switch.

Phil Spencer's core pitch as the head of Xbox has been the expansion of the gaming market, beyond its traditional core audiences. That doesn't just mean in avenues that include features like streaming games to your phone -- which we can't test in Australia at the time of writing -- but also by making gaming more accessible at different price points.

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a great option for those of us with kids getting into gaming. My son is still too young, but if I was looking to add a second console for him, as someone already in the Xbox ecosystem, this would be a great addition.

Options are great. More fun for everyone.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
What is interesting about the S is that the price can be almost impulse buy territory, it wouldn't surprise me to see many people buy an S just for Starfield, for example.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Seems this size issue isn't just a problem with third-party as we learnt yesterday with the new Call of Duty:
Microsoft has promised that Xbox Series S game install sizes will be around 30 percent smaller than the Series X, but I've noticed Gears 5 is 76.4GB on both the Series S and Series X.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
*comes in to post his review*

*Sees it's the third entry in the OP*

:)

Also, written review is here if you'd prefer to read words rather than watch video that kept me awake until TWO IN THE GODDAMN MORNING :P https://www.nextgenbase.com/xbox-series-s-review/

Edit: Throw questions at me if you want, I'll answer as many as I can :)

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is a great option for those of us with kids getting into gaming. My son is still too young, but if I was looking to add a second console for him, as someone already in the Xbox ecosystem, this would be a great addition.

Options are great. More fun for everyone.

I teach at an elementary school, I'm expecting a lot more of my students to have a series S in a year or two than a series X. It's price point is just an incredible value.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How is RDR2 and others old gen games on Series S? I mean they are on 900p Xbox One S base resolution or upscaled to 1080p?
Everything I've thrown at it so far has hit pretty much a solid 60. I'm not in a position to be able to pixel-count, sadly. I also don't have RDR2 on Xbox. But, given performance of other titles, I'd not worry at all.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think it's alright as a budget product.

As a budget product it's inherently going to come with a set of flaws. For the average person who just wants to keep playing new games for the lowest possible price, then it makes sense. Someone happy with an Xbox One or PS4 will probably be fine with 1080p-900p games and potentially lower frame rates as long as they get to play the new stuff.

Anyone going yikes when a Series S game runs at a low res is probably the same kind of person who is shocked when their $200 Moto takes garbage photos and chugs under load.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Reviews looking good, I am going to keep my Series S preorder as my second Xbox Series. My biggest concerns were noise, heat or substandard loading/quick resume. It looks like we're all good on those fronts.

I am getting a Series X for my mancave but this will be in the living room to play party games with the family (i.e. Octodad, Overcooked, Tetris, Crash Racing, Soul Calibur, etc.) and it looks like it will be more than enough. I actually dug up my old 360 and my son has been playing Oblivion on that, he can now continue on this and I'm sure he'll appreciate the cleaner image, faster loading and probably better performance. I noticed a few old 360 titles I never got around to and some being added in EA Play/Game Pass that I would like to give another shot to. This machine looks like a great way to experience those games.

I would like to see some more back-compat testing on it, hopefully more stuff comes out throughout the day.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Best review so far with loading tests, framerate tests, noise and heat tests etc

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Here is my outlet's review:
"For players on a budget or not obsessive over 4K graphics and the highest FPS out there will find a lot of value from the Xbox Series S. It's an open door into Microsoft's next generation of games for a cost-efficient price point."
Xbox Series S

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
What is interesting about the S is that the price can be almost impulse buy territory, it wouldn't surprise me to see many people buy an S just for Starfield, for example.
Exactly.

The Switch Lite Day1 at 199€ (and 30€ credit) was an impulse buy for me.

Same could happen with Series S, PS5 being my main console for the next generation.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Seems this size issue isn't just a problem with third-party as we learnt yesterday with the new Call of Duty:

I don't know why we should expect cross gens games to bother with series S specific files sizes. They are built on last gen compression and largely BC enhanced and I doubt developers have the time or money to optimize for just the S alone like that.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously only a small thing but it's good that 4K isn't actually walled off in anyway. You can still get 4K media content (and games too technically).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Also, written review is here if you'd prefer to read words rather than watch video that kept me awake until TWO IN THE GODDAMN MORNING :P https://www.nextgenbase.com/xbox-series-s-review/

Regarding quick resume: do we know the size allocation? So for bc games you can use quick resume with more games? And what about 360 games? Also you don't happen to own Dark Souls 1 on my 360? ...

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This will also be posted in the PS5 review thread when it goes live.

Recently there has been an increase in inter-community sniping and general meta commentary about the gaming forum. Complaints regarding it have continued to increase and the threads are both being made increasingly unpleasant by a minority of users who think it's acceptable to retreat to the safety of their community OT to gloat or antagonise other members/communities from afar. This is unwanted by the vast majority of our members and it needs to stop now. In the interests of community cohesion such posts will be moderated harshly from now on. This includes embedded tweets/images from "Fanboy Accounts" even as a joke. That content is not needed here. Any such platform warring, hostility, or trolling will be met with a ban. And it would be a shame if that ban made you miss the launch of the new platforms.

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding quick resume: do we know the size allocation? So for bc games you can use quick resume with more games? And what about 360 games? Also you don't happen to own Dark Souls 1 on my 360? ...

Size allocation - not sure. I would suspect it dynamically uses whatever you've got free on your drive.
360 games - work without problems. Played through a few and quick resume looked like it worked fine.

And sadly not, not a Souls fan!

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been out of it for a while with Xbox and I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death. BUT...

I have a xbox one S and primarily use it for BC 360 games. Is there any benefit to upgrading to the series S for this purpose?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Size allocation - not sure. I would suspect it dynamically uses whatever you've got free on your drive.
360 games - work without problems. Played through a few and quick resume looked like it worked fine.

And sadly not, not a Souls fan!
Thanks! One last thing: Gamepass trial was included? I heard it's not a code anymore you have to enter but you redeem it somewhere in the settings?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of it for a while with Xbox and I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death. BUT...

I have a xbox one S and primarily use it for BC 360 games. Is there any benefit to upgrading to the series S for this purpose?
Series S still get for some games extra upgrades. Like that 60fps Fallout 4. :)

Winstano

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! One last thing: Gamepass trial was included? I heard it's not a code anymore you have to enter but you redeem it somewhere in the settings?

Not sure on that - full disclosure, MS included a GP subscription in the review pack, so it was already redeemed for me

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Do we have info on how the Series S is gonna run 360 games, compared to the one S or One X?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Backwards compatibility seems...way better than expected? Sub 1080p Xbox One games get boosted to 1080? I assumed only dynamic resolution and fps games would just hit ceilings more often. That's really surprising.

Okay, this has got me even more excited. There's so many games I've been looking forward to jumping into from this past generation but was concerned about how S would handle them. That Ace Combat 7 footage running at 60fps on Series S instead of the 40ish on Xbone is so good.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

Straight questione

Is this the best choice for me, playing on a 1080p TV screen, being interested in Gamepass and considering how I will wait for a cheaper and smaller Ps5 slim version once at least three great Sony studio exclusives Will be available (probably Christmas 2021 or Spring 22 for me)?