• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
All digital with 512GB....

With games as big as they are? Even with some reduction in size due to less duplication?

Yeah nah that is way too small. For a digital console that's just asking for constantly redownloading if you want more than 10 games, and even less if you have a bunch of backwards compatible titles on there.

This is where their additional storage strategy comes in. If it's another 100 bucks down the road for 1TB fast additional storage, there will be people buying into that. And with deals happening from time to time even more so.

This looks really good.

It also shows 2 things though:
1. They really needed better names for their new consoles. People are confused even with a very clear message in that trailer:1440p, raytracing and next gen apparently isn't enough to not confuse people if Series S might be a beefed up One S/X instead of true next gen
2. That price is insane! I don't think anyone expected an entry price for Next Gen below 300 - to the point that they question if this one is even next gen.

If MS is able to sell the message that this is a true next gen console to the masses, it's gonna sell well and fast. Feels like a much better start into the generation then XBO.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
512GB sounds like enough for the market this is aiming for, I think. Not everyone has all their games installed, especially mainstream.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is this guaranteed to be able to play all the XbonxSX games? Or are there potentially games that are Series X only?

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
This would have been selling like hotcakes if they had a good looking Halo at launch. They can still do some great bundles at this price point, very low entry for next-gen and you can use all your old controllers etc to boot.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
All digital but only a 512gb SSD? That sucks so hard... I know MS has developed a novel expandable storage solution but this still sucks.

I'm even more interested in what the prices for those SSD Expansion Cards are going to be. I feel like those things are going to be expensive. It's probably part of the reason for the decent prices of these consoles.

Being all digital doesn't make much of a difference since you wouldn't be able to run the games directly of the blu-ray anyways. Considering the price I'm not surprised at all they went for 512GB nvme. Also, keep in mind that next gen games potentially will get smaller due to new hardware decompression and eliminated need for duplicating data on the disc to accommodate for slow HDDs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
All digital with 512GB....

With games as big as they are? Even with some reduction in size due to less duplication?

Yeah nah that is way too small. For a digital console that's just asking for constantly redownloading if you want more than 10 games, and even less if you have a bunch of backwards compatible titles on there.

Or you just plug a big external drive in for BC/cold storage?

We're gonna have to get used to doing that across the board. It's not like PS5 and Series X have monster SSD sizes either.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Ya know, I'm about to start selling a lot of junk in my house to be able to afford the new consoles. I had my sights set firmly on a PS5 and expected to have to save for it. I could actually afford an Xbox Series S if it launched tomorrow at that price. I don't even have a 4K TV yet, that was something else I was hoping to pick up in the next year. If only it had any big exclusives at launch this would have been a no-brainer for me.

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I'll take the series S with my PS5 :)
Great strategy from MS to go as low as 299€

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
You know what. This is actually a really enticing deal. 1440p ensures you're still getting a next gen experience, that is comparable but scaled down from the main next gen systems. Not many people will care about 4k necessarily. And at $299. This is going to sell, I think

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I bet It plays a lot of radio stations :p

Looks like I will get for the first time a xbox. After the ps5, and just for the exclusives/game pass

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not going to make any predictions but it's going to be incredibly interesting seeing how this sells, especially in the UK. £250 for the ability to play all next-gen games for the rest of the generation is a value proposition we simply haven't seen before. The downsides (digital only, 1080p-focus) simply won't be that big a deal for the many people here who simply play CoD, Fifa, Fortnite, etc.

However, the question is whether Sony's near-dominance in terms of branding, alongside its suite of massive first-party titles will be able to make up for the difference in value. Will people give up the ability to play stuff like Spider-Man, Horizon, Naughty Dog games, etc, alongside moving to a new eco-system, for a big initial increase in value?

Just, there's so many questions to be answered and I love it. This is the most interesting new generation I've experienced (though I've only really experienced three lol).

Right now, though, the only thing stopping me from getting this is the lack of disc-drive. As I'm getting a PS5 anyway and will be upgrading my PC as well I don't need the improved graphical capabilities of the Series X, but not having a disc-drive makes using the S as a 'backwards-compatability' machine that much harder. Games such as Forza Horizon simply won't be able to be played on the thing, for example.

Dec 21, 2017
Looks nice, I suppose.

Any All-Digital version is absolutely worthless to the actual cost of the superior disk drive model, though.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the SSD size. Can't you use an external HDD to "backup" games and reinstall them without downloading them again? I don't know how many games others play at once, but I'm fine with some, I don't need them all sitting on my SSD lol

Yes on external storage. From personal experience with the X1X and a 500GB SSD it means a lot of shuffling around. That said, if expansion SSD drives are reasonably priced it is not the end of the world. The biggest value proposition of this console will be BF2021 when, more than likely, you can pick it up for $250 or less with a game and/or Gamepass. That will be a good jumping point for many people.

Last edited:

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Had no plans on getting anything besides a PS5 but may get this down the line if there's anything interesting coming out. Great price, especially for someone like me who doesn't care about power and stuff like that much.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Allegedly you can switch within seconds back and forth between different games. Not just apps and games. It's my most wanted feature ever besides better graphics
That feature eats into storage space as it needs to do a RAM dump to the SSD. The OS either reserves a certain amount of space to be able to store several save states or it will depend on how much free space you have on the SSD with how many save states you can actively have.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Fun games are fun, obviously, but not worth 500 or 300.

As someone who's played games since the eighties I don't agree with you. It's reaching a point where AAA is more of a sale for people with no personal taste just following a trend.

Videogames are an entertainment medium not a desperate popularity contest.

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Really solid offering. I'm impressed and tempted - and I'm not even in the market for next gen consoles, or so I thought!
The 512 SSD is alright, you guys are really panicking, that's 5-10 games installed permanently, who plays more than 5 games every week? I'd say very few..

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for both PS5 DE and this, is it totally out of the question for sony and MS to come up with external optical drives? like if someone bought a digital only console but a few years later wanted to take advantage of the cheap used market for physical games.

Nov 8, 2017
Developers will always push visuals though. I don't even think every game on the Series X will be native 4K, by the end of the generation.

Oh even at launch they won't be all 4k necessarily. The scaling works out OK for most things I think. 1440p on PS5 should be 1560p on XSX and 900p on XSS. I think that's a decent turn out for such a budget system when even the chonky boys are only doing 1440ish.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why do they list resolution and frame rates? 99% of games won't be 120FPS and resolutions will be both above and below 1440P. Are they just referring too what the console will output to television?
No, 'cause it'll upscale to 4K and output 4K.

10GB RAM is a spec. 512GB SSD is a spec. "1440P" isnt' a spec in any sense of the word as the hardware will output 4K, it's a marketing checkbox number higher than 1080P IMO.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I really thought twitter was trolling with that design, it looks like Microsoft's adaptive controllers lol.

Xbox_Adaptive_Controller_V%26A.JPG
Oh man, I've been thinking all morning "this does look like something old Xbox related", but I wasn't sure what. This is it!

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Nah, if the price was $399, then yes, that'd be remotely possible, to test how cold the water is, so to speak. But at $299? Why would they destroy their "E3 2013 it's $399!"-moment on purpose?

They dont have an E3 this year. Absolutely every Xbox announcement from past few months has been shit on. I get they feeling that they maybe heard Sony were announcing price tomorrow and leaked out these details to select people. Allows them to get a bit of feedback, then make an official announcement.

If they were to do this via an event of livestream, i bet you the internet would be saying "What, no gameplay ?", "Where is Halo" etc. If they just make the announcement they lose the fanfare. Getting it out to the sites and people on social media builds way more hype people they pop in with a fancy new release video to confirm :)

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
512 GB makes sense to hit $300. I really like Microsoft's strategy for next-gen.

Gpu....4k. Series S is 1440 focused. I can barely tell the difference from the distance I sit from my tv between 1440 and 4k so this is a no brainier purchase when (if) I get a next gen box from MS.

I wouldn't count on many 1440p games as the generation goes on. The UE5 demo on PS5 was 1440p 30fps. Assuming it scales very well with TF, you would be looking at ~900p for an Series S version.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yes, it literally takes only like 4-8 mins to transfer a game
Thats right, your current external hdd will work as storage for your old games and they'll run off it , or as cold storage for next gen optimised games and they can be moved onto the ssd as and when needed.
Yes on external storage. From personal experience with the X1X and a 500GB SSD it means a lot of shuffling around. That said, if an expansions SSD drives are reasonably priced it is not the end of the world. The biggest value proposition of this console will be BF2021 where you can more than likely pick it up for $250 or less with a game or Gamepass. That will be a good jumping point for many people.
Thanks, so it's fine for me I guess. I'll take the insane speed of that SSD over more storage every day.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
not if they go hard on promoting it with game pass. cheap next gen console + subscription service for a huge amount of new and old games. that's gonna be irresistible for a lot of price-conscious consumers.
Was mostly thinking families buying games for present or loaning them from libraries.

I do agree that with game pass the value is very good.