• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it doesn't actually matter when compared to the One X. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha
I gotta say it's hilarious that people spent months insisting on peddling this meaningless measurement in TF as some universal indicator of power, and now are trying to tell people it does actually matter when compared to the PS5. Good grief. I hope this finally gets people to stop using TF seriously, but you just know it won't haha

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Things are about to get a hell of a lot more confusing for the general uninformed masses. You have the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S... and some are digital only, some aren't.

It's a mess. I have a hard time remembering which is which sometimes and I'd like to think I'm a hardcore and informed gamer, I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be for uninformed parents/grandparents this holiday season. Just look at the whole Wii/Wii U confusion.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
People with a « good PC » (ie : which would potentially offer a similar or better experience than Series X) are relatively few (less than 10 millions if we make a generous assessment based on Steam data) and it will take years for the whole PC gaming market to catch-up. In the mean-time, people who wants a next gen experience At 4K without having specific PC Gaming knowledge or PG Gaming Budget To spend immediately, will have an easy option with the Series X.

Note : I don't like to make direct comparison to PC Gaming, because I still think it's a thing of it's own, with specificities you will not have in consoles
I just think that many people will think twice to be a part of the Xbox ecosystem for 200 bucks more than a Series S.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because XSX is the "4K box" doesn't mean a game is using 100% of its GPU power, so 1440p may well be the case for many XSS titles. You can't assume every XSX game is using the full 12 TFLOP roof of that system to its max.

NPTinker

May 2, 2020
People on this forum are enthusiasts and forget that the average person buys like 4 full price retail games a year. They aren't precious about the game they haven't played in 2 years sitting on the hard drive like you are. 512 is fine.

A huge reason game files got bloated this gen are because they way data needed to be built in order to run not like dog shit on current systems. With the new SSDs and CPUs in place, compression will come back in a major way because it won't be a resource drain
more like 1-2 games per year tbh

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Good pricing, will be interesting to see PS5 pricing now. I'm surprised they're marketing 1440p considering it's 1/3 the power of XSX and there's no guarantee XSX will even be 4k60 in every game, but I guess they didn't want to market 1080p since that was last gen's resolution.

1440p is much more 4K screen friendly than 1080p, it's a significant visual improvement still, so it's a good target and with all the reconstruction techniques, it will often compare reasonably to 4K (even if distinction will be clear)

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So 200 bucks cheaper only because of a weaker GPU?! and all that the extra umph in Series X does is higher resolution? doesn't make any sense really.

Probably with a cheaper cooling system but still the difference in price is just weird.

1/3rd the GPU power, 6GB less RAM, 512GB less NVMe storage, no disk drive. Definitely adds up to close to $200. They made some really smart cuts to lower the cost but keep the next gen performance.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Things are about to get a hell of a lot more confusing for the general uninformed masses. You have the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S... and some are digital only, some aren't.

It's a mess. I have a hard time remembering which is which sometimes and I'd like to think I'm a hardcore and informed gamer, I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be for uninformed parents/grandparents this holiday season. Just look at the whole Wii/Wii U confusion.
Good luck buying a One X or a One SAD this Christmas.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all aboard even with the 512 GB SSD, but that's a tough blow given how game sizes have just ballooned as we've seen this gen. This means I'll have to upgrade my internet connection to that without a data cap to better manage space - but that's a me problem and a compromise I'm willing to accept given the price. (or better yet, I hope that game sizes shrink this gen)

I can buy a 500GB NVMe SSD with 2.2GB/s for 53€ right now.

Wouldn't this be similar to the Series X where you need to buy MS's own proprietary storage expansion device?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

xbox one is getting discontinued

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
£249 is insane.

That's the same price as an Xbox One S/PS4 slim is right now.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1440p is much more 4K screen friendly than 1080p, it's a significant visual improvement still, so it's a good target and with all the reconstruction techniques, it will often compare reasonably to 4K (even if distinction will be clear)
I get that, I just have my doubts they'll be able to hit 1440p with the same framerate in games where they're hitting 4k on XSX without other downgrades. We'll see though.

This is all assuming the 4TF number is real.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure this is the way they should have announced this product and rather go ahead themselves earlier, but this is a killer deal if packaged with Game Pass. Don't forget how many people are only playing Fortnite, Minecraft, Call of Duty and FIFA. This will be a strong argument for those customers. It's your entry option to the Xbox ecosystem alongside streaming. Brilliant pricing, and I guess it was only possible with 512 GB storage. Microsoft has also said you will be able to move games quickly between you SSD and your external harddrive. Haven't some people also said that next-gen games won't necessarily be as big in size?

And despite the leaks, I bet they will not announce the official Xbox Series X price for a while, putting the ball back to the competition.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
512GB storage makes perfect sense, as the Series S is positioned explicitly to provide a next-gen-like experience, as in the capacity to run all next gen games, at a price point that is extremely competitive when put up against both the Series X and the PlayStation 5. It is a small, affordable console.

While bumping up the storage capacity obviously does benefit a digital system in the most obvious ways, it also bumps up the price. Microsoft want to service two purposes here; firstly they do not want to cannibalise the sales of their own Series X, a system targeting the enthusiast gamer while also going head-to-head with PlayStation 5, and secondly keep the Series S price as far removed from the PlayStation 5 as possible.

The psychology of marketing is well developed and Microsoft want to avoid the issue of a Series S being a "cheap system" that's still within the ballpark of the PlayStation 5. If the PS5 seems more expensive, but only just, customers will be more inclined to invest a little extra more for Sony's offering. The further the gap between the two the more readily the Series S enters its own market demographic with a greater probability of becoming the de facto entry level, customer friendly priced "next gen system".

The 512GB storage will become a problem later on for obvious reasons, but there exist solutions for this already. Delete old games to play new ones. Or, if needed, buy an external drive. Customers buying this system are not likely to be hoarding 20+ games a year with no intention to delete them. They're economically conservative and making fewer, more careful choices in software. And while buying an extra drive obviously breaks the bank, that's something that can be addressed later. Like..12 or 24 months later, which is immediately more appealing than having to do it right out the gate (eg: systems with no storage at all).

Releasing a system that is more generous in storage but increases the market price to a tier too close to the PlayStation 5 defeats the entire purpose of the Series S. It also puts Microsoft in a position where the only solution is to cut the price and make a greater loss. Releasing a very affordable system now with lesser storage space that can be upgraded later is a much more sensible solution that permits Microsoft to aggressively market right out of the gate. Storage is an easy problem to fix, with a lot more flexibility. Pricing your console into a market tier it cannot compete in is not an easy problem to fix.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The design is somehow even worse than Series X, especially for a games console, but the price is great. MS really needs to show some next-gen footage running on these machines though. The fact that they keep advertising GamePass on every step isn't helping either because it takes the spotlight away from individual offerings and makes the games library feel generic.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
£249? I'm relieved to see that. Brexit had me worried they would just change the $ sign for a £ sign and leave it at that. And to be honest, with a no deal exit fast approaching I'm still not convinced we won't see last minute price bumps later this year. But for now, it's a great sign.

And it's an amazing price. I'm now expecting £449 PS5, and £399 PS5 digital. But even as a PS4 owner who is 100% digital, £249 is probably still going to win me over. I mostly game on my PC anyway, use my console for streaming TV and films more than for playing games, have a 1080p TV, and am already in the Game Pass camp through PC. And with Sony experimenting with releasing their first party games on PC now... I really don't know how Sony can compete with this.

That said, I love good and snappy UI design. So Sony can still win me over with that if it's significantly better (design and usability) than Xbox.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Isn't 512GB a bit low for an all digital machine, especially when thinking about possibly next-gen game sizes?
Here's my thinking: This is explicitly a lower-spec machine, for lower-spec gaming at reduced cost.

It could, theoretically, allow reducing storage requirements, very significantly, by optionally shaving off the topmost quality preset for textures. Most of the inflated storage size for new AAA games is in two things, textures and audio. Audio compression is not a good compromise, but reducing 8K textures to 4K will cut the amount of space they occupy by maybe half.

If it's an initiative Microsoft is willing to push, it could go a long way to making the XSS's smaller storage last longer.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

At the end of the year you have the Series S and the Series X.

The series branding is going to be the important distinguishing feature here. And it does its job.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Typically console upscaling is pretty good. But it won't even be remotely like DLSS. It won't look "higher res." One of the main reasons you want a good upscaler is so that stuff doesn't look like shit on a higher res screen.

Also with a console you can do custom things like ensure HUD and menus are full 4K if you want while the game renders at 1080p-1440p dynamic, or something like that.

I mean the xbox one x upscales to 1080p. We need to hear more of Microsoft has something more fancy planned because just a good upscaler is nothing to really get excited out.

Does sound like a decent Xbox to jump in with tho. Small storage size yes, but if it's not your main console and you use it just for some gamepass games and some exclusive stuff, maybe it could work for you.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo MS bite themselfs in the arse a little bit by marketing games for next gen as cross plattform. They now have a 299 next gen mashine, I dont get it.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
Day one, will get XsX at Christmas for the Oled.
Waiting now for PS5 price to decide if I will still buy it this year.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Tonight's leak apart, this might be the worst kept secret in the whole history of the industry. It's absurd how people knew about Lockhart and Series S since years ago.

Anyways, fantastic price for a next gen console, this will SELL.

You clearly don't remember the ps4 Pro which was fully leaked about 6 months before Sony announced it. They fully refused to acknowledge it existed as well