• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I have two PS5 consoles along with the XSX and the XSS. I find I do most of my gaming on my XSS and I think it is a fantastic machine. I have it hooked up to a 4k monitor with VRR and games look amazing.

I also have an external 1 TB SSD attached and I can transfer games between my XSX and XSS using Network Transfer at gigabit speeds. Microsoft permits XSX|S optimized games to be stored on external memory so for stuff I may want to play any time this month, I have them on the external SSD. For games I have downloaded but I have completed and I am now waiting on future DLC, I store on an external 8TB HDD connected to my XSX. Works for me (I have very slow rural internet so I am hesitant to delete anything I have spent hours downloading).

Toasty

Oct 25, 2017
Sidewinder
I love it a lot. Would like a series X eventually but its a little beast and its dead silent. If you don't give a shit about 4k right now and maybe some raytracing stuff then I'd say give the S a shot.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I have two PS5 consoles along with the XSX and the XSS. I find I do most of my gaming on my XSS and I think it is a fantastic machine. I have it hooked up to a 4k monitor with VRR and games look amazing.

I also have an external 1 TB SSD attached and I can transfer games between my XSX and XSS using Network Transfer at gigabit speeds. Microsoft permits XSX|S optimized games to be stored on external memory so for stuff I may want to play any time this month, I have them on the external SSD. For games I have downloaded but I have completed and I am now waiting on future DLC, I store on an external 8TB HDD connected to my XSX. Works for me (I have very slow rural internet so I am hesitant to delete anything I have spent hours downloading).

and here I am cant even find a next gen console to buy šŸ˜­

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It's great. I lent my PS4 to my brother since I'm not touching it very much after buying it. I bought a 1080p in 2019 and I don't pretend to buy a new one until this one breaks. Things will get better regarding RT and performance in general as the devs adapt to the console. We have Outriders at 4K60 and that Dark Souls-like game at 4K30! And that Ghost Recon game runs at the same resolution as the PS5 (1440p30fps, but without the performance mode unfortunately). So don't buy this bullshit about "Series S being dropped in 5 years" or "it'll hold back this gen". Get one and have fun! And don't forget about Microsoft Rewards so you can get free stuff "working" for Microsoft for 5-10 minutes a day. Oh, and Game Pass is great! I can only praise this console.

(I don't work for Microsoft)

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Upgraded from a One S and own a Gaming PC, currently without a GPU:
I am loving it.
Great value in my opinion.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'm curious to know what previous owners of a One X and a 4k TV think of it.
Having just experimented with Deliver Us the Moon's 4k/30 and 1080/60 modes last night, I can tell you that I saw no notable difference in sharpness on my my 65" 4k TV between 4k and 1080.

I don't doubt that there are people who are highly sensitive to that stuff, but I think (1) the vast, vast majority of people wouldn't notice they're playing at 1080 in-game, even if they could tell the difference in a static side-by-side comparison, and (2) I suspect a lot of people's TVs are set up such that the size-to-viewing-distance ratio theoretically renders the step-up to 4k meaningless.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Will you be okay with only 400 gb of storage? Obviously different people will have more/less severe opinions on that, but it's really the biggest question to ask yourself.
Yeah this really depends on the person. I have over 50 games on my One X but most are tiny, like small indie games and classics that I always have installed like Crazy Taxi and things like that. But then two or three juggernauts take up most of the space. Many of the games on Gamepass are surprisingly light and bigger games like Gears 5 or Master Chief Collection now let you erase parts to save space.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is so goddamn annoying seeing this attached to the Series S. Cheaper and being digital only does not equal that, are we to say that the Digital PS5 should only be for PS Plus Collection????
When the PS Plus Collection includes literally hundreds of quality games, including all 1st party exclusives day one, then sure.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
I purchased it as a tertiary console and for what I expected to get out of it (Xbox exclusives through Game Pass) it's been great. Last weekend I finally got Retroarch on it as which has also been a blast.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Will you be okay with only 400 gb of storage? Obviously different people will have more/less severe opinions on that, but it's really the biggest question to ask yourself.

I use a 2TB external HDD, which I had lying around. This solves any issues with storage, since even Xbox Series games can be stored there for later play. Moving games around is quick and painless, specially since it can be done in the background while you play other stuff. A 2TB can be purchased for about $50.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Bought my GF the console along with my Series X, and she absolutely loves it. Its a great little travel companion too.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I've been enjoying the one I was able to snag from a store back in December. I use it as secondary console to play co op games with me wife. Although I've also found it makes a pretty good Rocket League and Apex Legends console.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to grab a Series S the other day, traded a PS4 Pro for it and it will be my girls console to share and god it's really fucking cool seeing them use the console, especially since literally every game they play fits within the Quick Resume queue. Graphics are quite nice for the resolution, speed is impeccable obviously. BC games look damn nice as well.

I'd say if you aren't fussed about resolution, it's a good get.

When Series X|S only games start releasing, you're going to feel that small SSD.

IMO, all of these consoles are hurting for storage off the bat, I'd say a cold storage extended HDD is bare minimum on all of them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so I'm in line for a Series S All Access subscription and I could use some advice.

I was planning on buying a Series X at launch and so got two years of Game Pass in advance by converting, and after deciding against it figured I'd just eat the few months I lost and eventually get one later. Now I'm kinda just taking the opportunity in front of me, and that's for a Series S, no idea when Series X is gonna be available and I'm not sure I care. I don't notice shit like frame rate and 4k graphics or whatever. Am I significantly impacted in any way by a Series S or am I just too used to one way of buying games?

Also I was about to sign off on it but it says my loan is for $1200 Canadian, at a rate of $50 a month, and that can't be right for the Series S All Access can it?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Also I was about to sign off on it but it says my loan is for $1200 Canadian, at a rate of $50 a month, and that can't be right for the Series S All Access can it?

that's way too much for the S.

the Series S is $29 Canadian per month. Series X is $39 CAD per month. How did they come up with $1200?

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a plasma tv I'll own until it dies so 1080p is fine for me. Plus, I own it for gamepass, so it's perfect for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's way too much for the S. Sure they didn't ring up the X for you instead ?

It can't be that either. The X should only be $40 a month according to the page, and that comes out to $960 for the console and two years of All Access.

I've never taken a loan before so I dunno if this is how it works.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
Alright so I'm in line for a Series S All Access subscription and I could use some advice.

I was planning on buying a Series X at launch and so got two years of Game Pass in advance by converting, and after deciding against it figured I'd just eat the few months I lost and eventually get one later. Now I'm kinda just taking the opportunity in front of me, and that's for a Series S, no idea when Series X is gonna be available and I'm not sure I care. I don't notice shit like frame rate and 4k graphics or whatever. Am I significantly impacted in any way by a Series S or am I just too used to one way of buying games?

If you're already setup with 2 years of Game Pass I would just buy the Series S outright if I were you. They've been readily available here in Canada and yeah, that $1200 doesn't seem right to me. By math I'm getting a cost of around $860 for 2 years of Game Pass and the console.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It can't be that either. The X should only be $40 a month according to the page, and that comes out to $960 for the console and two years of All Access.

I've never taken a loan before so I dunno if this is how it works.

Xbox All Access is zero interest, so
It should just be monthly rate * 24.

also, at $10 extra per month, might be worth it to just get the X.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're already setup with 2 years of Game Pass I would just buy the Series S outright if I were you. They've been readily available here in Canada and yeah, that $1200 doesn't seem right to me. By math I'm getting a cost of around $860 for 2 years of Game Pass and the console.

I would, but none are available and honestly it might be easier for me to eat the $100 odd I spent on Game Pass then blow over $500 in one go for a console.

mojo2

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I bought it for game pass too. Ended up upgrading to X because I found one, I've got a nice 4K tv and I wanted more storage because of game pass lol. Concerning gfx, I can't really see much of a difference as of now. But the bigger ssd alone is worth a lot, add in disc drive and shit loads of more power and the X seems like the better deal, don't it?

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

Go for it. I skipped Xbox One because of the PR fiasco that happened in 2013 and I don't have any regrets buying the Series S. I don't know about the loan though, there's no All Access where I live. Talk with their customer support maybe?

justdoitshia.0.0.png

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox All Access is zero interest, so
It should just be monthly rate * 24.

also, at $10 extra per month, might be worth it to just get the X.

This is for Series S and I'm sure as hell not paying this much money for either console. I don't even understand why it's coming out this high. It should only be just over $700.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed one as I couldn't wait until the X or PS5 would be in normal supply. I don't like the limited space, love the complete silence from it (especially compared to the jet engine level sound from the PS4 and PS4pro).

Great games on Gamepass, currently going through Ori and the Blind Forrest.

Jul 26, 2018
I've purchased both Series S and a budget Samsung 4K TV for my sister for Xmas. Massive upgrade from her One S, standard 1080p TV.

She loves it. Sometimes playing games, uses it as a media to watch TV/movies, etc. Makes me think that a extra $200 Series X is a overkill for her. She barely even plays high demanding games. And when she does, mostly her BF plays it and she watches.. bahaha.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm pleased with the positive reactions to the Series S. There seems to be a lot of FUD around it because it's the lower powered console out of the bunch, but it seems like it has its target audience and is fitting in for them perfectly.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I own an X but at times I wonder if I should have just gone with a PS5 + series S because the value of GPU is so great and I feel the series S specs would have been good enough for me because most games still look amazing on the S

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Make sure you have zero interest in physical games. For example if you want to play Watch Dogs 2 to take advantage of 60 FPS, it is $50 digital, but under $10 used or $15 new for a physical copy. Do this a few times and you are not saving any money.

You just wait for a digital sales. Most of the time you don't have to wait long.

Oct 25, 2017
I own an X but at times I wonder if I should have just gone with a PS5 + series S because the value of GPU is so great and I feel the series S specs would have been good enough for me because most games still look amazing on the S

I bought an X, but I think the S is a better bet a more people. For console gamers who don't really care about bleeding edge graphics and they only buy a few games a year the X doesn't really make much sense.

Also, if they become more "hardcore" (or whatever) and they want to play more games, Gamepass works really well with the S.

edit -

Because comment such as that devalue the system as if you don't have game pass it's not worth buying which couldn't be further from the truth. The system kicks ass with game pass or not

Ahh I see. I agree with you.

(but the S with GPU is a killer combo lol)

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S with Gamepass is a killer combo. What's the problem and what does the PS5 DE have to do with anything?

Anyway lol at "so goddamn annoying " for something so trifle.

Because comment such as that devalue the system as if you don't have game pass it's not worth buying which couldn't be further from the truth. The system kicks ass with game pass or not

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
At first I was lukewarm on it, then it hard shut down because of temps three times without the fan even getting loud.
But since I put it in horizontal position after those shutdowns, it's been running perfectly for me. It even looks better in horizontal now that I've gotten used to it.

Here's hoping that we won't be getting too much 900p in future more demanding DRS titles.

Sep 15, 2020
First xbox and I had a lot of fun with the cheap 3 month game pass promo.

I love being able to download games before purchase.

Streaming on it had some issues but figured it out for now I think but my ISP is also crap so some days are good some are bad.

drzzrd

Nov 29, 2020
It's not supposed to come out to $1200 Canadian oh my god. I know it has Game Pass, I'm saying it's trying to charge me more than it actually costs.

That's not how much it actually costs. Read the entire terms, that is a placeholder open loan for $1200. You don't pay anything until end of the first month and it will be adjusted accordingly. It pre-approved the loan amount for $1200 to expedite the process, how do you think you got approved so quickly?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I had not thought of this! - of course I have not travelled in a year but the XSS would be great to use in hotel rooms during business travel.
Its a hilariously tiny console that can fit into pretty much any bag. We only took it up to our vacation spot In the mountains this past holiday, but it was fun using it as a streaming device and couch coop machine during a few heavy rainy days.