• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I half Ultimate and I feel like i am wasting half the money bu not owning a xbox. But I don't want invest 500 bones right now. Basically is a Series S good enough to get into the ecosystem. My last xbox was a 360

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I have a PS5 but bought one few weeks ago to use it with my 1440p monitor + gamepass. Havent turned my PS5 on since i got it. I love it.

Oct 29, 2017
Its been great. I don't have a 4k TV and a PS5 and XBX are impossible to find (I stumbled upon the XBS in a grocery store one day) so there have been no apparent downsides to me yet. I also really wanted to play Like a Dragon.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My experience is definitely different as the Series S is my secondary Xbox that sits in the living room while my Series X is in my entertainment room but I really enjoy it. It really is just a Series X with less processing grunt to throw at games. Even on the 4K set in my living room, most games scale incredibly well to the display and look just fine.

I'm obviously glad that I have my Series X, but the Series S is an incredible piece of kit and the price is perfect. I'd jump in.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love mine.

it's sexy
Plays games well
Only 300 bucks.
Tiny so I can move it room to room super quick and take it with me when I travel without concern.
Plays BC games well too

buy one

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Series S as a secondary console paired with my Series X. I think it's fantastic and outside of DF analysis videos with 400% zoom, it comes surprisingly close to the Series X in visuals.

$299, paired with Game Pass? Phenomenal deal, particularly for casual gamers, parents buying a console for their kids, or as a secondary console.

I do think that if you're really into games and graphics are really important for you, it shouldn't be your primary console. It's not going to wow you the way the Series X or PS5 do. But as an in into the Xbox ecosystem? The best value in gaming when paired with Game Pass.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
My friends who play a lot of Switch are jumping on board the Xbox ecosystem with the Series S and loving it. It's surprisingly powerful for how cheap it is, it's small, and if you have Game Pass it is the perfect way to enjoy everything Game Pass has to offer without dropping tons of money on a Series X or high-end PC. Highly recommended!

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's great apart from the storage capacity. I just bought one of the expansion cards because I was sick of only being able to have 3-4 games installed.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
Will you be okay with only 400 gb of storage? Obviously different people will have more/less severe opinions on that, but it's really the biggest question to ask yourself.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you have zero interest in physical games. For example if you want to play Watch Dogs 2 to take advantage of 60 FPS, it is $50 digital, but under $10 used or $15 new for a physical copy. Do this a few times and you are not saving any money.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna get an X after initially wanting an S, kinda flip flopping.

I feel too hesitant to give up physical media. It's not like those games I download are gone, I can just redownload them later.

Oct 29, 2017
Don't own one myself but my brother does and we talk about it frequently and compared to my Series X.

Long story short he's thrilled with it. He's less of a "power user" / didn't already have an enormous game collection, so the reduced storage space and inability to play discs aren't deal breakers.

The main reasons for wanting a Series X over a Series S are being a stickler for 4K or already owning a big collection of Xbox 360/One disc games.

Oct 25, 2017
Will you be okay with only 400 gb of storage? Obviously different people will have more/less severe opinions on that, but it's really the biggest question to ask yourself.

True. However, it's worth noting, standard external hard drive drive will play XB1, 360 and OG XB games. Also, you can store Series X/S games on an external drive and transfer them over when you're ready to play.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you have zero interest in physical games. For example if you want to play Watch Dogs 2 to take advantage of 60 FPS, it is $50 digital, but under $10 used or $15 new for a physical copy. Do this a few times and you are not saving any money.
You're right that of course you won't be buying physical games to play on this. It should be primarily be used as a Game Pass box.

With that said, Watch Dogs 2, for example, is on sale all the time digitally. I think it was last on sale last month for $11.99.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up as a stop gap en route to next gen and to basically use as a gamepass box as well as getting access to the 360 backwards compatibility titles on the MS store.
So far? it's fit the role perfectly, I get the loading time boost and access to the few next (current?) gen titles coming this year.
Never had a PS4 Pro or One X in my household, just the basic versions of those platforms so it's also like getting one of those upgraded versions plus a bit extra.

My only gripes are of course, the space limitations, and one that's more a MS thing but you could say while gamepass itself is a great deal, the actual deals on the MS store are noticeably less bargain worthy than PSN/Switch deals.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
As the owner of a One S, I'm wondering the same thing. It's kinda disheartening to know that Xbox One X might deliver a better performance for some games (might be mistaken, please correct me on this if I'm dead wrong) since most games on Series S still run the base One S version of those.

For example, I know there's a patch incoming for Control, but having to deal with the "out of memory" error messages while playing it, and knowing I might get those in the Series S kinda soured me on getting one. XSX is definitely out of my immediate budget right now and I'm really invested on the Xbox ecosystem, so I'm still keeping an eye on it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Series X but space quickly became an issue. If you pick one up, keep in mind the majority of games on Gamepass are X1 and those run on a usb drive. I picked up a 1tb ssd drive and a 3.1 usb and just offload all bc games to it (and some Gen9Aware games like Sea of Thieves) - the loading diff is minimal.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Small, quiet, plays games nicely and 360ish GB of space is enough for a few game pass games at a time. Fits in my entertainment centre nicely when my son hasn't nicked it to play Roblox.

chiptoon

Nov 15, 2017
I have one at my desk connected to a 1080p BenQ monitor. I think it's a really great console if you're not mainly a living room gamer. My 4K TV actually belongs to my kids and essentially always has some family friendly show or movie streaming. The system has really snappy load times, controller feels great, and it looks great on my monitor. If you're setting the right expectations, then I don't think you'll be disappointed however I do want to mention one thing. Currently, the Series S only plays the One S versions of games for BC unless they have been optimized. Keep that in mind if you're planning to player older games.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
I hope they add the ability to let me attach a disk drive at some point, but otherwise I love mine.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
True. However, it's worth noting, standard external hard drive drive will play XB1, 360 and OG XB games. Also, you can store Series X/S games on an external drive and transfer them over when you're ready to play.
Wait, hold on. You mean that for example, I can have FIFA21 XBS/X on the main storage and keep playing my other old stuff from my current 2TB USB HDD? I was on the idea that you had to have the expensive memory card and you could only play the games on the SSD, so you had to juggle stuff left and right.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on. You mean that for example, I can have FIFA21 XBS/X on the main storage and keep playing my other old stuff from my current 2TB USB HDD? I was on the idea that you had to have the expensive memory card and you could only play the games on the SSD, so you had to juggle stuff left and right.

Yes. The load times might be a bit better with the SSD, but it should work. You can play XB1, 360 and OG XB games directly on an external HDD drive. You can also store Series X/S games on an external drive, you just can't play them. Once you're ready just transfer Series X/S games over to the SSD.

Oct 29, 2017

That is correct. Only native Xbox Series X|S games have to be played from the SSD. Anything else can be played from an external HDD, just like on Xbox One. You just don't get the load time benefits.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Still really enjoying it, and the support has been solid. Even a couple of the titles that were missing features (like the 60 fps mode for Valhalla) ended up having them added later. Most games that support it, I've been playing in 120 fps. It feels like a sleek little workhorse.

That being said, the $200 difference vs. a Series X is easily accounted for by the disc drive and storage space difference. I think if price (and availability) isn't a factor, the Series X is the better deal.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that works great. I keep all my BC games on an external USB drive.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy.
Yes. The load times might be a bit better with the SSD, but it should work.

The best thing about use a external unit (even a external HDD) is the times are still better than in the last gen consoles. Doom 2016, running on my Series S and a external HDD, load faster than my PS4 and very close if it was stored at the internal SSD.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I'd waited until more MS Studios games released. Probably should have just gone for the Series X too.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
That's great to know. Most of my backlog is from the older XB1 catalog, but having the 60fps version of Destiny 2 along with new stuff would be great. Thank all of you for the info. :)

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy.

The best thing about use a external unit (even a external HDD) is the times are still better than in the last gen consoles. Doom 2016, running on my Series S and a external HDD, load faster than my PS4 and very close if it was stored at the internal SSD.
And honestly, you can always just invest into a USB SSD drive for pretty cheap. You can get a 1TB USB SSD for like $100.

That's what I did. I store all my BC games on the USB SSD and all next-gen games on the internal. Best of both worlds.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. I have a 5TB USB HDD plugged into my Series X and it's full of Xbox One, 360 and OG Xbox games. I only stick native Series games (and games I play a lot - to take advantage of the SSD loading times) on the internal.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about getting one for my game room but also want to wait till it comes with a 1 TB SSD.

Dhruvenator

Aug 29, 2019
As the owner of a One S, I'm wondering the same thing. It's kinda disheartening to know that Xbox One X might deliver a better performance for some games (might be mistaken, please correct me on this if I'm dead wrong) since most games on Series S still run the base One S version of those.

For example, I know there's a patch incoming for Control, but having to deal with the "out of memory" error messages while playing it, and knowing I might get those in the Series S kinda soured me on getting one. XSX is definitely out of my immediate budget right now and I'm really invested on the Xbox ecosystem, so I'm still keeping an eye on it.
Series S should be outperforming One X everytime. Only think that makes this tricky is that the one s configurations drive the approach for series s upgrades. So don't expect 4k resolution but definitely expect better frame rates

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I have a Series X but space quickly became an issue. If you pick one up, keep in mind the majority of games on Gamepass are X1 and those run on a usb drive. I picked up a 1tb ssd drive and a 3.1 usb and just offload all bc games to it (and some Gen9Aware games like Sea of Thieves) - the loading diff is minimal.
Want to piggyback off this comment regarding the external HDD:

Given that games will be increasingly next-gen only and be required to run off the internal SSD (or official expansion card), I would suggest that if you supplement your storage capacity with an external HDD you pay the extra money (or sacrifice a TB of space) and get a 1 TB external SSD rather than a traditional HDD. I moved RDR2 from internal to external the other day, and it took like 40 minutes to move. I was dumbfounded, as I would have expected a straightforward migration to be a lot quicker.

Thus, given you'll be managing your internal storage a lot more on the S, speeding up that process is going to be well worth it. (Assuming you don't end up simply playing-then-deleting your games.)

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
You can tell in the My Games and Apps screen. There's a little notation where a game is on the external and can't be played. But most games can be played off an external platter-based HDD. For them it's no different than playing the game on the XB1.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I half Ultimate and I feel like i am wasting half the money bu not owning a xbox. But I don't want invest 500 bones right now. Basically is a Series S good enough to get into the ecosystem. My last xbox was a 360
Just nabbed ultimate. Hadn't used my Xbox One in over a year. Good library. Games play and look great. Can't justify jumping into a Series S/X or PS5 yet. I say wait until the library beefs up and you find content that moves you. Lately, when I get that itch to buy? I look at my backlog and put the money into the stock market. GME to the moon and all that....

Oct 25, 2017
It is so goddamn annoying seeing this attached to the Series S. Cheaper and being digital only does not equal that, are we to say that the Digital PS5 should only be for PS Plus Collection????

The Series S with Gamepass is a killer combo. What's the problem and what does the PS5 DE have to do with anything?

Anyway lol at "so goddamn annoying " for something so trifle.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Awesome. I have a 1080p TV and the games look great on it. I bought a cheap external 1TB HDD, so I have more than enough space to store all of the games I'm playing right now and then some.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very satisfied with my purchase though i'm also not one who needs the highest FPS or graphic fidelity. The console is silent and loading times are super quick. It's just a neat little console.