• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
1440p120 with raytracing must be really powerful though. Of course, that performance is probably just for games with simpler graphics. Guess it's too early to tell.

I don't think they're advertising that. It can do 1440p, 120 FPS and RT. Not necessarily all at the same time. That kind of hardware is in an entirely different price class.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
£250 is obscene, I've been wondering if I can justify a next gen purchase now that I have a kid limiting my gaming time... but £250 is so affordable.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
It's the same type of hardware, but from what I've heard, all of the hardware except the CPU will be lesser in some manner.
13.5GB -> 7.5GB of usable RAM, half the SSD storage and GPU, no disc drive. Less USB slots even.
According to rumored specs, the CPU is the only thing that remains exactly the same.

I'd expect the lower specs of the S will affect more than just the resolution. Graphics schmaphics. If games don't run great with the bells and whistles on, developers can always get a bunch of headroom by targeting 1080p instead of 1440p. Or 30fps. Or lower some settings (like raytracing.)

But that significantly lower amount of RAM could affect game design.
Because of 4K->1440p, the S will use less RAM for video, but it seems implausible that it will use 6GB less.
So less system RAM for games.

That's the only thing I don't like about the S. Otherwise it's a smart idea that looks to be executed well.
Probably if they matched the RAM it'd have to have been $399.
I thought I understood from Posts here the whole point of the S was 1080p upscaled to 4K if you wanted it too and in that scenario the ram was perfect?

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Console wars over a series of posts
All Xbox first party games are on PC, so if that is your excuse for "no gamez" why are you here? Just to ruffle feathers?
No, my PC is not as good as it used to be. I just guess the announced games are not for me, even tho I'm interested on Halo. Need to see how Fable turn.

Good. I'm delighted you got to play a fantastic game.
It really is, indeed.

Bleeding Edge, Grounded, Flight Simulator, Ori, Minecraft Dungeons, Gears Tactics, Wasteland, Wasteland 3, Battletoads, Tell Me Why...

Like come on...
BE dont look very good, sadly. Grounded looks interesting. FS, not for me. Minecraft and Tactics games don't interest me. Isn't Wasteland on other consoles too ? Battletoads looks good and TMW is not for me.

They are not 3rd person action/adventure games, so obviously they are not *games*.
Iol

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Storage will really be an issue, not complaining that the Series S only has 512 GB, I mean even the 1 TB in the Series X and the 8xx on the PS5 will be not enough. That's at least the case for me, I'm already annoyed at my Gaming Laptop with 512 GB SSD, so much that I'll just add an extern SSD with lower speed soon, but that will be more than 100 Euro again.

I guess the "special" SSD options for Xbox and Playstation will be hm...at least 100 or 150 for 1 TB, if not more, that's really annoying. Yes, you can buy or use an external HDD and swap games out, but that's still annoying for me ;) Wonder how much space there will be available in the end (system software, etc.) with the pre-installed game on PS5 ...that's not going to help. maybe 700-780 or so useable SSD space on the PS5 in the end?

Well you can't have everything, fast SSD and big storage, for the price there just needs to be some drawback and let's be honest, we even got 5xx GB versions with cheap low end HDD with 5.400 rpm.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
that's seriously insane. i was set on the series X but for £250? jeez that's some deal.

i think i'd be fine with 512GB drive but it would be nice to eventually see a 1TB version. 2TB would be too far (unless prices come crashing down) because it is a budget model after all.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Wow. £250 is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Selling this as a GamePass machine (regardless of the relatively small SSD) is a different enough strategy from Sony's that this could really pay off for them.

Though this all comes back to my original thought which was, if MS are so keen on opening up the XBOX brand to a larger (and for all intents and purposes) new audience why aren't they making more of an effort to lure them in with new gaming experiences rather than just rolling out all their old properties like HALO and Forza which are big with the OG Xbox crowd but just aren't pulling in new audiences?

This looks like a pretty attractive mass market system. Curious to see if it pays off for them.

This is where I'm at. A smaller, cheaper machine should increase their market share but it does also throw up the question why bother with the Series X at all? Yes, the SSD will be much larger and improved specs but I'm still not sure that bifurcating their platform like this is the way to go. Launching with the S Series means that they could make it a mass market machine like the 360 compared to the PS3 and then introduce the X Series later on.

As you say, we shall see.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Digital only at 512.....yeah thats the catch. I'm sure they'll be able to save on the file size but even many games this gen stretched close to 100GB and the upgraded storage will be very expensive at launch. For the mass market this is insane though

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
1440p120 with raytracing must be really powerful though. Of course, that performance is probably just for games with simpler graphics. Guess it's too early to tell.
Lol wow, xbox's marketing already working wonders I see. This machine won't be able to manage 1440p with 120fps in anything except the most basic indies and older games. The GPU has about 1/3 the power of the Series X, never mind any of the new stuff from nvidia. Put raytracing on as well and I think 1440p30fps might be optimistic. They listed these things but they won't happen at the same time.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'll ask again since it got buried before;

This is 4th Gen, right? So it will play everything the Series X will be able to play?

What will the Series X have that this doesn't?

EDIT: Answered a bunch now, thank you! :)

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Just catching up on everything that happened while I was asleep lol.

While I've got my eye on the XSX (Although this will come after PS5), the XSS is at a very good price point and for the UK this makes the competition a lot more interesting! Microsoft clearly want to do well and this price point is an appealing proposition for the more casual audience.

Things just got a whole lot more interesting! :)

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
We will see so many low res games next gen on this thing.. 1440p as target means down to 720p with third-party games and everybody knows it. Just look at the current gen.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Lol wow, xbox's marketing already working wonders I see. This machine won't be able to manage 1440p with 120fps in anything except the most basic indies and older games. The GPU has about 1/3 the power of the Series X, never mind any of the new stuff from nvidia.
They never even mentioned 120fps with ray tracing the trailer literally just saids it has directx raytracing support. If the consumer gets shafted it should be on them for not reading

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
😊 this is playing out just like I thought it would - a lot of people who were disinterested in xbox now considering it because of the low entry cost + gamepass.

This will be a lot of people's secondary console (if not their primary) and that will improve MS penetration this gen.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018

This is 4th Gen, right? So it will play everything the Series X will be able to play?

yes this is a next gen console. it will play games in 2026/27.

and so far the Series X just has the extra storage capacity and performance needed for 4k. at least that's all i can tell. here the S is £250 and if the rumored X price is true then it will be £450. i think the extra £200 is worth it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
All the kids who will inherit the old 1080p TV from parents moving to 4k, plus the accessible price and the UK being a strong market for Xbox

It might go in my bedroom together with the old dumb 1080p TV

I'm not sure what 4K TV adoption is like here in the UK. However, even then, I can't see there being that money people who care that much about a 4K resolution that the lack of it on Series S would be that much of a downside even if they do have a 4K TV. The amount of people still buying DVDs should be evidence of that lol

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing value. After one generation, ill have an xbox again one way or another. That's for sure

Digital Foundry comparisons just got a whole lot more interesting.
I was thinking the opposite lol. Next gen comparison will have a lot of 800% zoomed in stills to even see some minor differences between PS5, XSX and XSS

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I don't think a 512gb ssd is a catch. It's been explained before how you can still attach USB HDDs/SSDs to these things to transfer games in and out from your backup library when you need them. Ultimately XGP will fill up a 1TB disk quite early on next gen and Xbox are going to have to go in pretty hard on this messaging.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. Series X has a 3x more powerful GPU, 16GB vs 10GB RAM, double the SSD storage space and a disc drive.

They never even mentioned 120fps with ray tracing the trailer literally just saids it has directx raytracing support. If the consumer gets shafted it should be on them for not reading
Yeah like I said these things won't be happening at once, this ad is very clever in making series S seem a lot more powerful than it actually is.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Do people complaining have an idea how expensive fast SSD storage still is these days? Buy an extra SSD-card thingy and you are good. You can't expect a 250,- console to come with storage that's worth more than the console lol

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When this comes out in the UK on Xbox All Access for £20 or so with Game Pass Ultimate, it's gonna do very, very well

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I wasn't expecting any official responses from anyone on this website, thanks.
You're welcome, though I'm not sure why you think people won't respond to statements about companies needIng to do things they've already done, I thought I was on a discussion forum not a blog. 😁

Aug 13, 2020
Microsoft should troll Sony and ONLY release the XSS now in November for the 300USD. For now, there is absolutely no game announced which would really profit from the power of the XSX and if they now release both, they might damage the XSX sales, as no one buys it anyway. Better delay XSX Release until proper games comes and smash then Sony. The 300USD XSS would likely already kill Sonys sales until then.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
You do know that the console is launching in 2 months too. It's not like Microsoft released a lot of game this year, nor last one. I mean, what's for the line up ? Lol
BE dont look very good, sadly. Grounded looks interesting. FS, not for me. Minecraft and Tactics games don't interest me. Isn't Wasteland on other consoles too ? Battletoads looks good and TMW is not for me.

So did they release games this year or not? I'm confused with your stance.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Was tempted to get one, especially with the great xbox BC capabilities. I only have 360 games physically, is there any fancy license transfers etc I can do or do I need to fork out for an X with a disc drive?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best console design ever from Microsoft imo. And a great price! I'm still going to start with a ps5 next-gen but if Series S performs well I could see this becoming an amazing game pass machine.
I can see this being Microsoft's crown jewel for next gen. The series X is more powerful but they don't have the games (yet), series S is much more appealing and if it can play the third-party games good enough, coupled with game-pass, it has all the potential to be a hit. It all depends on the marketing.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should troll Sony and ONLY release the XSS now in November for the 300USD. For now, there is absolutely no game announced which would really profit from the power of the XSX and if they now release both, they might damage the XSX sales, as no one buys it anyway. Better delay XSX Release until proper games comes and smash then Sony. The 300USD XSS would likely already kill Sonys sales until then.
Hurting themselves to troll Sony. And this is why you don't make important decisions.