• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I think Series S will start being easier to get fairly soon, it was never designed to grab the launch consumer and despite that has still done really well..certainly way better than I thought it would this early.

Series X however I'm expecting to be constantly instantly selling out through the rest of 2021..that and PS5 I just don't see being easy to get till 2022.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
In some areas, yes. In other areas, no.

If you want faster load times and frame rates it is clearly better. If you are looking for pure resolution, it is a step down.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured it came down to. Thanks for that info. I'll pass, and do my best to not impulse buy it lol.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Loading times alone have made this new series of consoles worth it for me. Going back to my switch to play hyrule warriors has been painful.
Same. I only have a Series S so far but the loading times have more than made it worth it for me. I had to wait 30+ seconds on my One X for Fallout 76 to load everytime but on my XSS it's down to a couple seconds.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Still in stock it seems. I am tempted by it because of game pass and not sure when I will bother to upgrade my PCs 960. Plus my tv is a 1080 and I don't know when I will upgrade.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Havent seen xsx or ps5 on any shelves, but there were always many xss consoles at all electronic shops ive visited, and they are readily available online, atleast in my country. Wonder how the split is looking and if it was worth it to cripple an entire gen for this thing

Nov 9, 2017
Havent seen xsx or ps5 on any shelves, but there were always many xss consoles at all electronic shops ive visited, and they are readily available online, atleast in my country. Wonder how the split is looking and if it was worth it to cripple an entire gen for this thing

Wow, guess they should have made more Series X

Oct 29, 2017
Still in stock it seems. I am tempted by it because of game pass and not sure when I will bother to upgrade my PCs 960. Plus my tv is a 1080 and I don't know when I will upgrade.
I impulse bought an S two weeks ago when I saw it in a Fred Meyer. I have a 1080 TV that I'm not updating any time soon either. I think it's worth it at the price point.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
If the Series S played discs there wouldn't be any doubt in my mind that it would eventually outsell the Series X. I still think it probably will, but the lack of disc compatibility is a complicating factor.

Enthusiasts don't get it but there are a whole lot of people out there who don't want to spend $500 on a console, especially when a $300 one plays all the same games.

I agree. I mean it's the reason that keeps me from getting one. MS should have released a digital only Series X, like the PS5 digital, then gave a disk drive to the Series S.

Oct 27, 2017
Considered getting one to replace the One X in my liviing room, but I think im going to pickup an AppleTV and dedicated Panasonic UHD player instead.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Long term I think the Series S will live and die by the Switch Pro. If the Series S is as good or better than it, 3rd parties are gonna support it just fine as they'll also want to be ok the switch pro. If the switch pro is more powerful - might be rough for the series S.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is hard to be a budget machine without a disc drive. I mean people were talking about wanting to try Watch Dog 2 with the new 60 fps boost. It is about $15 new and around $10 used, yet it is $50 for a digital copy.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I probably would have bought in on this if it had a disc drive and replaced my One S with it, as the fans are getting a little loud on it. Someday I'll probably just get a Series X.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
It is hard to be a budget machine without a disc drive. I mean people were talking about wanting to try Watch Dog 2 with the new 60 fps boost. It is about $15 new and around $10 used, yet it is $50 for a digital copy.

gamepass. to me this is the ultimate budget console.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I grabbed one. I had $100 in Best Buy credit so I was waiting for them to have stock.

This is my first Xbox system and for years I swore I would never buy an Xbox. Crazy timeline I've found myself in.
Enjoy! And definitely give Game Pass a shot for a month or so. I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff (including unexpected gems) you'll like! :)

Oct 27, 2017
I probably would have bought in on this if it had a disc drive and replaced my One S with it, as the fans are getting a little loud on it. Someday I'll probably just get a Series X.
I agree. $349.99 and with a disc drive would've been a day 1 buy for me. I like the idea, but being cut off from the second hand game market is a deal breaker for me. It will be interesting to see how XSS/PS5D do once they're readily available with consumers considering they lose out on used games.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
A disc drive and Gamepass aren't mutually exclusive. Gamepass is a good deal, but it is very limited in scope, especially compared to the disc market. That might not always be true, but it is the way things are right now.

oh, i think it'll be limited compared to the disc market for quite a long time.

my point was that if you have a console you can play games on without even buying games, that's about as budget as it gets :D

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
They have been available since last night actually, which is certainly a first since launch. Kind of surprised XSS lasted that long without being sold out. Surprising scalpers haven't bought it out, maybe not as popular on eBay anymore?

Edit: And yeah, people are still underestimating importance of used physical market for budget gamers. You can easily get great PS4/Xbox One games on the cheap and play them on modern platforms. XSS forces one to stick to digital sales and GamePass. So as stated above, if you want to try out Watchdogs 2, you have to wait for the next Ubi sale, can't just get it from eBay/Amazon/GameStop.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
They have been available since last night actually, which is certainly a first since launch. Kind of surprised XSS lasted that long without being sold out. Surprising scalpers haven't bought it out, maybe not as popular on eBay anymore?

The scalper margins on the S were never that large compared to the X even when supply was more constrained. When I preordered I got both consoles, sold the S here for cost but was curious as to what the prices were going on ebay. Usually somewhere in the 400s right after launch

I was always going to get the X for better backwards compatibility, but part of me wants an S just for curiosity's sake. I adore how small it is, and am curious to see if it can be viable for the whole gen.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The scalper margins on the S were never that large compared to the X even when supply was more constrained. When I preordered I got both consoles, sold the S here for cost but was curious as to what the prices were going on ebay. Usually somewhere in the 400s right after launch

I was always going to get the X for better backwards compatibility, but part of me wants an S just for curiosity's sake. I adore how small it is, and am curious to see if it can be viable for the whole gen.
Ahh, that makes sense. It's certainly less desirable product to early adapters and folks budget conscious won't pay the scalper fees.

I am also kind of tempted to get it mainly for kids to play Minecraft and other kids games on GamePass (or cheap on Xbox sales).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy! And definitely give Game Pass a shot for a month or so. I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff (including unexpected gems) you'll like! :)

Yea I'm looking forward to trying Gamepass. That is half the reason I am getting one. The other half is that my brother has been begging me to get an Xbox to play Halo together for a long time.

I almost picked up a One S last year but I figured it would be better to wait and future proof my purchase a little bit.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Damn shame there isn't a version of this with a disc drive for a smidge more. I only really want one for Original Xbox/360 exclusives in BC but I'm not interested in purchasing my whole ass collection again digitally.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Ah awesome, been wanting an S in stock, finally caught it. I've got a PS5 for high end stuff but been wanting a Series S for 360/X1 BC games.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is more a BB complaint than anything else, but I hate how it seems like the "Ship to Store (only)" thing is a way to make it seem like an item is available, but it effectively isn't for huge swaths of the country. It seems like it would be less work to just allow delivery, even putting aside that we're still in a pandemic.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is more a BB complaint than anything else, but I hate how it seems like the "Ship to Store (only)" thing is a way to make it seem like an item is available, but it effectively isn't for huge swaths of the country. It seems like it would be less work to just allow delivery, even putting aside that we're still in a pandemic.
I wonder if the ship-to-store-only stipulation is some kind of a scalping prevention method?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long term I think the Series S will live and die by the Switch Pro. If the Series S is as good or better than it, 3rd parties are gonna support it just fine as they'll also want to be ok the switch pro. If the switch pro is more powerful - might be rough for the series S.
Nope. Cant release games on XSX and not Series S. It will be supported just fine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the ship-to-store-only stipulation is some kind of a scalping prevention method?

Assuming I'm understanding 'ship to store' correctly (is it 'collect in store'?) then I'd guess they want you to come in so that you might buy something else while you're there too.

They know people will come in to collect these things. Might as well get them through the door and maybe you'll buy a Game Pass gift card or some games or something or a controller while you're there.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Assuming I'm understanding 'ship to store' correctly (is it 'collect in store'?) then I'd guess they want you to come in so that you might buy something else while you're there too.

They know people will come in to collect these things. Might as well get them through the door and maybe you'll buy a Game Pass gift card or some games or something or a controller while you're there.
They limit you to outdoor pickup only for the consoles.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. Indies generally publish on either Nintendo or everything. Multiplatform AAA are generally PlayStation + Xbox, and *maybe* Nintendo depending on hardware requirements and the flexibility of the title. This is how it's been since the Wii, and I don't expect this to change with the Switch Pro.

Also, the chance that the Switch Pro will be as powerful as the Series S is slim to none, just like the Switch is not nearly as powerful as a PS4/XB1. Remember, the Series S doesn't have to be portable. But, Switch Pro will certainly be the most powerful portable gaming platform ever made.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Well there goes that theory lol

It sucks too, depending on your area, because they won't ship to every store. Like, I can't quite figure out in my head how their stock system works if some items can't be shipped to their own permanent locations. I originally thought it was a way to save on shipping for low-margin items (vs. paying for individual residential shipping).

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I almost want to buy one just so my gf will stop using gaming pc as her person monster train console.(She doesn't normally play games but she loves monster train)

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Yeah I'm expecting brand new consoles for Xbox at the very least in 2023. Not a new gen, but taking the concept of mid gen refreshes and blurring the "next gen" line even more by going more PC like.

No way. More like 2023. will be the year we get out of the cross-gen phase (ok, I'm exaggerating, but not much). Also, generations are good for developers and MS "bluring the next gen" line is just their marketing talk. Of course they all believe in generations. In 2023. they'll be able to sell these consoles with higher profit margins. And developers will get really comfortable with the hardware and best gen 9 games will start coming out.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean not in stock for immediate pickup today or not in stock at all to purchase? It's showing up buy now for a pickup on the 25th at multiple locations for me in the Bay Area.
It says not available for delivery, and not available for pickup within 250 miles (and "only available for store pickup"). If I add it to the cart and go to checkout, it says no longer available for pickup at the store you selected. "

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It says not available for delivery, and not available for pickup within 250 miles.

That's weird because I'm seeing pickup in Gilroy, San Jose, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, San Carlos, Soquel, Union City, San Francisco, Emeryville, San Rafael, Vallejo, Tracy.... Even more locations than that. I can't see how it's not available within a 250 mile radius of the Bay Area.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird because I'm seeing pickup in Gilroy, San Jose, Milpitas, Sunnyvale, San Carlos, Soquel, Union City, San Francisco, Emeryville, San Rafael, Vallejo, Tracy....
Yeah, mine said that until I tried to actually buy it. However, I tried again a few times to check out, and it finally worked, will be available for store pickup next Thursday.

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
Pulled the trigger. Apparently it went through because I got a confirmation email.

I figured I'd have to wait a lot longer to get a shot at one of these.