• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sure. I also don't think anyone will max out the Series S storage at launch outside of trying a gotcha moment. The options are gonna be widened up sooner than later.

It's expansion storage. Sure 128GB/256GB(119 Gib/238Gib) might seems small but it's an option for those more budget conscious. And regarding your second statement, it is concern trolling when it comes from the same individuals ever since the console announcement, to the point that i see these individuals in every thread about the console, either good or bad news, with the same argumentation. It's tiring, to the point i'm starting to hesitate in seeing any thread about Xbox Series S because these same "arguments" will arise from the same individuals.
Regarding the SSDs, it comes down to whether it's worth manufacturing that many SKUs and having that many on shelves. A 119GB proprietary device just isn't going to sell enough to be worth producing; the percentage of expansion is too low to market. There's a reason there are less than five 128GB NVMe drives on Amazon right now, and none of them are produced by the major brands.

Regarding the second part, if you aren't using the report function (there are zero reports against this thread, btw), how can we take a look at it?

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, that's crazy low and you add in the 1tb expansion and at that point you might as well get a XSX.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The console advertised as coming with 500GB should have had at least 750GB? 🤔
I think if it had an advertised 750GB SSD, 600 GB remaining after the OS and such, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. As it stands, I feel like I'd rather just pay the extra 200 for the x. The extra 500gb internal storage alone is worth at least $100
I think series s could be 250 by next holiday

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, that's crazy low and you add in the 1tb expansion and at that point you might as well get a XSX.
This console isn't intended for those that would need the 1TB expansion though. That's kind of the whole point.

Ya'll expect a next-gen console at $299 with no compromises. The whole point of this console is it's for those that want a modern console but don't need 4K or to store 20 games on their system. AKA the vast majority of consumers out there.

364 GB isn't going to satisfy most gaming enthusiasts like those here, but it was never intended to impress that demographic.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk, I know for some folks $300 is what they can afford and from that point of view it's great that the Series S exists. Same for parents with younger kids.

For almost everyone else, this feels like a bad value proposition. A Series S and one of the 1TB drives costs more than a Series X. 364 GB will fill up quickly even if they are delivering you lower res textures.

Combined with the fact this seems less of a 1440p machine and closer to 1080p, and it's losing RT features on some games, and it lacks a disk drive...

Even if I were stuck, I'd rather save up the money for a Series X.

If someone buying a ps5 or a Series x thinks to avoid buying a storage expansion, they should prepare for a hard wake

Series S data assets will probably be slightly smaller and probably all next gen console storages will be able to storie very few games

Digital or discs doesnt make a differenze being forced to install them

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Hmm. Might as well go for a Series X if you add the cost of the extra storage...

Edit:
Basically you are getting what you paid for. If you wanted to play COD seriously you'd benefit from getting the X instead.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Off-topic metacommentary
I know it's different posters and all but i love how easy it is for narratives to form.

Quick resume is not a big deal as people are playing a game at a time.

Series S HDD space is a big deal as people need many games on their console.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Expected. I'll store one game at a time on the internal as needed, then delete or move to an external hard drive for storage. I very rarely replay games so I'm not sweating it.

Dont get me wrong, not great, but as I have less and less time to keep up with games, this and Game Pass is passable for my ever-encroaching casual gamer lifestyle.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is also external storage. The Series S is the value option, it isn't going to be the most convenient.

The whole thing about the "Netflix of games" is that you don't have to download it.

Is it? I thought it is about having a subscription service providing access to content and not just streaming.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I am starting to think the form factor of the S is its huge win so far. When it was announced I thought it was a brilliant way to get something at a price point that wasn't possible this gen, but a 399 PS5 digital edition with the new controller, double the storage space, and no compromise on power seems like a better value proposition, but I love how small the S is.

Then again, nothing is forcing you to juggle 10+ games at a time, cold storage is cheap, and with reduced assets 364 might be more like 455 or 500 for next gen games. Not sure what to make of it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
At this point a PS4 is a better value for $300. Disc drive, 1tb hd, also has 1080p games, and ftp games dont require ps+. The console market is very competitive at that price point especially when you bring Switch into the equation. I think Series S will be ok if they just increase that hd size to a full tb though.

A soon to be obsolete overpriced console is a better value?

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Should be enough for casual player that only buy COD, FIFA/Madden and play Fortnite.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
That's gonna be a problem, but there's really no way around it if they wanted to hit $299. For the casual market it might be fine.

Nov 23, 2018
Well, it's a $300 next-gen machine. The fact that there's a $300 next-game machine is incredible. Also, transferring games across storage devices is easy.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
For a digital only console... not great.
To be fair, none of the consoles are great in this respect. The Xbox Series S at least will have the ability to only download the lowest quality assets through the smart delivery mechanism, so that will help out some. But I don't see any of these consoles really doing a great job at storing a lot of games. We should expect to do a lot of HDD <---> SDD game swapping/storage management.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Or you can just do what many do now, use a regular HD as storage to transfer back and forth to the internal. The Xbox allows up to a 16 TB external drive.
I didn't say that the SSD was the only storage option, but the plug-and-play functionality of the expansion card is there for convenience as is the digital-only aspect of the console. You get a cheaper machine because of less storage and no disc drive but you then lose much of the convenience that you would have to buy back by plugging in a $200+ expansion. The only reason that expansion card is propriety is for the hot-swapping, when they really should have gone with the same solution as PS5 and just accepted that you have to restart your system once every time you change out the drive. In the long-term I think that would have worked out as the better solution but they wanted hot-swapping.. whatcha gonna do? The amount of space seems ideal for the current library but it's not so much and as games get bigger in the future, they'll take longer to transfer back and forth and you'll be able to manage even less at once. Series X feels like the better investment.

I know it's different posters and all but i love how easy it is for narratives to form.

Quick resume is not a big deal as people are playing a game at a time.

Series S HDD space is a big deal as people need many games on their console.
There's a pretty sizable difference when comparing cold boot times vs. quick resume (seconds), and the amount of time it takes for you to transfer games from a slow-ass HDD to an SSD then boot it up from scratch (minutes). I'm not sure if a quick resume state is kept if you delete the game from your machine.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Does the Series S allow for external hard drives /SSDs for next gen games, or same constraints as the Series X?
You can move them onto/off of external HDD and SSD so that you can free up room on your internal SSD, but they can only be played from the internal SSD - i.e. if you want to play them, you'll first have to move them from the external drive to the internal drive.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
They should make 500GB or even 250GB expansion drives and sell these for cheap.
Add a 250GB drive, and your available space is already close to being doubled.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They are probably making the Series S to rack up all that sweet dough they are gonna make off the proprietary SSD cards.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the worst things about these new consoles.
Yet it is alao the best thing about these consoles. I'll take less space for speed, everytime.The only cost effective way to give us more space would be to put a SATA SSD into these consoles instead, and in 3 years people would be complaining.

The Series S is going to be a 1080p next gen machine doing 60fps games with light fast load times. That's pretty great for $299.

Nov 28, 2017
For all the storage memes that Warzone has become, has any influencer who has access to an XSS, downloaded the "Series S optimized" version (not the transferred from X1/X1X HDD data) of it to check the final size on this SKU?

Is the XSS/XSX SKU out on the store with reduced storage footprint, without duplicate data and using their new custom I/O solution instead, for asset streaming?

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say that the SSD was the only storage option, but the plug-and-play functionality of the expansion card is there for convenience as is the digital-only aspect of the console. You get a cheaper machine because of less storage and no disc drive but you then lose much of the convenience that you would have to buy back by plugging in a $200+ expansion. The only reason that expansion card is propriety is for the hot-swapping, when they really should have gone with the same solution as PS5 and just accepted that you have to restart your system once every time you change out the drive.

I think the hot swapping convenience really comes in to play more when you consider a household with a multiple Xbox consoles. You effectively have a memory pool allowing you to quickly share games between them.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They are probably making the Series S to rack up all that sweet dough they are gonna make off the proprietary SSD cards.
The theory is it shouldn't need much extra storage on the Series S, as most of the space will be taken up by textures/videos, which can be half size as on Series X without quality loss, thus half the storage should be mostly fine.

Microsoft made Smart Delivery specifically for cases like this, where Series S gets a different version of the game than on X rather than including assets for multiple devices or highest-resolution devices in one download.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
oof that is pitiful, doesn't help I'm a digital hoarder. Using 4TB exernals on my PS4 and XB1 at the moment and I've had to clean the fridge a couple times to free up space. It looks like it will be a real PC experience this year with me keeping track of my 'main' games on the SSD and archiving the rest to HDD

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
With that much space taken up already I feel it's somewhat deceptive to have 512GB on the box... There are probably bigger examples of device taking up space for its OS but man as someone getting an Xbox Series S I wanted at least 400GB usable.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Ah well, it is what it is.

If they gave the Series S a 1TB SSD it would have been perfect. That would have given it functionally more capacity than the Series X.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
With that much space taken up already I feel it's somewhat deceptive to have 512GB on the box... There are probably bigger examples of device taking up space for its OS but man as someone getting an Xbox Series S I wanted at least 400GB usable.
Why is it deceptive? Every console will give you less than the full listed capacity

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Why is it deceptive? Every console will give you less than the full listed capacity
I understand that and acknowledged that I just feel this gap between listed and actual storage to be greater than previous generations.

Where is the limit for conversations sake? If a console listed 1 terabyte but had 400GB of useable storage is that going to far? Or is that expected as well?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point a PS4 is a better value for $300. Disc drive, 1tb hd, also has 1080p games, and ftp games dont require ps+. The console market is very competitive at that price point especially when you bring Switch into the equation. I think Series S will be ok if they just increase that hd size to a full tb though.
That $300 wont get you into the gen, and the HDD size doesnt prevent you from playing new games like your suggestion would. Really bad advice.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
A tiny amount of space, but even the PS5 and Series X barely have much more. It's going to be tough this generation.

Deleted member 70824

Banned
Jun 2, 2020
I understand that and acknowledged that I just feel this gap between listed and actual storage to be greater than previous generations.

Where is the limit for conversations sake? If a console listed 1 terabyte but had 400GB of useable storage is that going to far? Or is that expected as well?
Ahh ok, I understand what you mean

Edit: Hit reply too soon XD

I guess the potential saving grace with the Series S will be smaller install sizes than the beefier consoles.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It still has at least a couple years of sales in it and is likely to see a price drop this holiday... so... yeah.

Lmao.

If you can convince even one person that they should pick up a PS4 this year, when it's going to have zero first party support going forward and likely dropped from most, if not all 3rd party AAA releases... be sure to let me know.

People in this thread are suggesting Series S is maybe not a good deal when you can spend $100 more and get a PS5 and you're telling me $300 for 7 year old soon to be obsolete tech is a better deal.

All of this because of a few hundred GB's difference in storage space?

Is this somebody's troll account?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite small but it is also a 1080p - 1440p console so i don't expect installs to be much larger than they currently are now.. it is abudget console and I guess S owners will jut learn to swap games btw internal storage and a HDD or SSD.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Ahh ok, I understand what you mean

Edit: Hit reply too soon XD

I guess the potential saving grace with the Series S will be smaller install sizes than the beefier consoles.
If the sizes are truly smaller that will be fantastic. I bet Microsoft will do their best to have smaller sizes for their games but a franchise like Call of Duty I don't expect it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Lmao.

If you can convince even one person that they should pick up a PS4 this year, when it's going to have zero first party support going forward and likely dropped from most, if not all 3rd party AAA releases... be sure to let me know.

People in this thread are suggesting Series S is maybe not a good deal when you can spend $100 more and get a PS5 and you're telling me $300 for 7 year old soon to be obsolete tech is a better deal.

All of this because of a few hundred GB's difference in storage space?

Is this somebody's troll account?
PS4 is still getting games like next Horizon and potentially other first party titles that are cross gen. The new focus will be PS5 but Sony isn't done with the PS4 the moment next gen starts.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why are the first few posts on Era often the same post? Is there like a Twitter feed that gives people posting ideas or something? :)
I've just felt the pain of installing Call of Duty on my SSDs in my computer already and it really just kinda do be like that

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 is still getting games like next Horizon and potentially other first party titles that are cross gen. The new focus will be PS5 but Sony isn't done with the PS4 the moment next gen starts.

It'd be a bad gamble to assume they're going to release more first party titles than are already announced.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
On a positive note, the series s will support quick resume for every game you can instal to it at the same time.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how everyone is taking what is literally the biggest size game out there, putting it on the S and saying: "See OMG it's not enough!". Look, Cod is so damn big it's bothersome on a 1tb hard drive already. That game is like literally the worst metric by these things should be measured. You can fit a heck of a lot of games on there and having an S out there for purchase is great out there as an option.

Like this thing is so small you can fit it in a backpack and take it with you easy on trips. I might get one as an extra for the living room as my media player/gaming machine to play with my wife from time to time as I will game mostly on my Series X on my desk.

And I will get an Series S for my son as well to replace his OG Xbox. None of those two players I mentioned care one bit about extra storage space. And buying a 500 dollar machine for them isn't even worth it. Not to mention that a 299 machine will be great in many places of the world were prices for these things are crazy to begin with.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how everyone is taking what is literally the biggest size game out there, putting it on the S and saying: "See OMG it's not enough!". Look, Cod is so damn big it's bothersome on a 1tb hard drive already. That game is like literally the worst metric by these things should be measured. You can fit a heck of a lot of games on there and having an S out there for purchase is great out there as an option.

Like this thing is so small you can fit it in a backpack and take it with you easy on trips. I might get one as an extra for the living room as my media player/gaming machine to play with my wife from time to time as I will game mostly on my Series X on my desk.

And I will get an Series S for my son as well to replace his OG Xbox. None of those two players I mentioned care one bit about extra storage space. And buying a 500 dollar machine for them isn't even worth it. Not to mention that a 299 machine will be great in many places of the world were prices for these things are crazy to begin with.

but it's the single best selling game year after year unless a new rockstar game drops

not like it's some niche indie title that will be ignored

odds are a TON of people getting a series s will buy COD and run into storage problems basically immediately

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
but it's the single best selling game year after year unless a new rockstar game drops

not like it's some niche indie title that will be ignored

odds are a TON of people getting a series s will buy COD and run into storage problems basically immediately

Microsoft has mentioned that games may be smaller on the Series S as they won't need 4K assets, so we have to see how that actually turns out.