• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
At the very least 750gb. To me PS5 digital is the better deal
I depends on what a person's budget is, there are so many if's and buts to consider. It breaks down to people making a educated decision on what works for them and what they can afford. Some of the responses here come off trolling or insincere. If you knew the drive was only 512GB why say your going to return your Series S and it should have been 750GB?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It could be worse as next-gen game sizes aren't massive right now, but they will be. Buying that console, you just gotta hope that the price of the proprietary SSD expansion drops faster than proprietary tech historically has.
Or you can just do what many do now, use a regular HD as storage to transfer back and forth to the internal. The Xbox allows up to a 16 TB external drive.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
thats enuff room to fit
Assassins Creed:
Origin
Odyssey
Valhalla
Syndicate
III Remaster
Black Flag
Revelations
Chronicles Russia & China

or

Halo:
MCC
Halo Wars 1 & 2
Spartan Assault

or

Gears of War:
1 Ultimate edition
Judgment
Tactics

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
I find that people always use the largest games they can find when trying to say storage won't be enough.

Call of Duty Cold War - 100 GB
Fortnite - 30.6 GB
Rocket League - 17.4 GB
GTA V - 70.1 GB
Rainbow Six Siege - 58.1 GB
Apex Legends - 39.2 GB
Madden 2021 - 42.6 GB
Minecraft - 395 MB
Roblox - 320 MB

~358.7 GB

That's 9/12 of the most popular games on Xbox right now (you'd have to juggle the other 3), with a little over 7 GB left over for apps + captures. The most recent numbers I could find for either PS4/Xbox attach rate were from PS4, which had 9.6 average attach rate through the end of 2018 (the first five years of the consoles life). There is definitely a bit of ERA bubble mentality going on here once again.

I think we need to maybe wait to see what install sizes look like for the first batch of full next gen titles before we declare that the sky is falling for the Series S.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wow .. that's a paltry amount of storage ..

The dilemma is that buying an expanded storage card will make it the same price as a Series X ..
The moment a Series S owner considers the expansion card, is the moment DJ Khaled pops out of nowhere with "Congratulations, you played yourself."

I struggle to find any financial or technical logic in a Series S + expansion SSD.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost twice as much though. Also, PS5 DE is a lot more flexible when it comes to expanding storage capacity, not to mention it's a lot more valuable in terms of price VS specs.
Thing is that the audience the XSS is targeting isn't the sort that will likely do even the minimal research to choose the correct type of nvme.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
For the people that this console is made for that's plenty but overall yeah it's low. I'd rather have a 500gb ssd then a larger hard drive though so thank goodness they didn't leave it out.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I really think that Xbox needs to keep up with the messaging that, yes while the Series S SSD is small ; having an external hard drive (Or SSD!) for having a ton of games already installed, and then just moving them over in a process that takes about as long to make a sandwich, ~7 mins or so, really shouldn't be a dealbreaker for a system that is already positioned as the 'Value and/or Game Pass' console.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
I knew before I even clicked on the post it would be full of 'COD...' posts.
Why pick the largest game when the average size of an Xbox One game is 40GB?

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
About same as OG XBOX One 500GB it was about 300GB so ill not be shocked

This chip going get use alot

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Everyone jumps straight to COD to prove some point but that stupid game is the outlier. Most "big" games are 50-80GB not 250GB
pretty sure the only point people are trying to make is that Activision should get its shit together and release a game that doesn't require 500 petabytes of storage

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
A digital console needs to spend more time downloading games than a disk one.

Also, wouldn't you also need double the space (or at least some percent higher) for the package you're download to get extracted ?

This was certainly a thing (and often an issue) downloading games on the PS4.

Gears 4 is 117gb. Gears 5 is 64

Is that Gears 5 size the current size factoring in all the since-released patches ? or just the launch size ?

IIRC Gears 4 didn't start at 100+ GB either. It was also in the 40s or 50s at launch.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Also, wouldn't you also need double the space (or at least some percent higher) for the package you're download to get extracted ?

That was only PS4 and because it had a stupid ass downloading system.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew before I even clicked on the post it would be full of 'COD...' posts.
Why pick the largest game when the average size of an Xbox One game is 40GB?
Not only that. A lot of "concerned gamers" posts here are questioning "wHy BuY a XbOx SeRiEs S + eXpAnSiOn StOrAgE wHeN tHe XbOx SeRiEs X iS cHeApEr? Ps5 DiGiTaL iS a BeTtEr DeAl" disregarding the fact that MS will assuredly launch more expansion storage of differents sizes and prices, like 128/256/512 GB or even 2TB. These "concerns" have been happening since the day the console was announced.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Flexible in the future yes, right now there are no official drives aside from one they say should work that costs the same as the drive for Series X/S. If it is still a concern I suggest spending more for the Series X, instead of an additional stick drive, which will offer the largest SSD of all the next gen consoles.

As I said before, the Xbox Series S has Smart Delivery which might mean smaller sized installs than they will be for Series X/PS5.
Who told you that? We'll know soon enough the reality.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The moment a Series S owner considers the expansion card, is the moment DJ Khaled pops out of nowhere with "Congratulations, you played yourself."

I struggle to find any financial or technical logic in a Series S + expansion SSD.

Seems more likely for someone on a budget that it would make way more sense to get a regular external HDD for their storage needs.

The Expansion SSD is more of a luxury get for now.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Is that Gears 5 size the current size factoring in all the since-released patches ? or just the launch size ?

IIRC Gears 4 didn't start at 100+ GB either. It was also in the 40s or 50s at launch.
thats patched up size on the One X. (just reading from my game library and sorted by size). So im sure most sizes will be smaller for the S

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not only that. A lot of "concerned gamers" posts here are questioning "wHy BuY a XbOx SeRiEs S + eXpAnSiOn StOrAgE wHeN tHe XbOx SeRiEs X iS cHeApEr? Ps5 DiGiTaL iS a BeTtEr DeAl" disregarding the fact that MS will assuredly launch more expansion storage of differents sizes and prices, like 128/256/512 GB or even 2TB. These "concerns" have been happening since the day the console was announced.

Yet those people will also say the deal gets worse all the time.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No, Xbox downloads right in place. You don't need 500GB free to install a 250GB game. 😉

Yeah, that would have been a nightmare.

*copy USB SSD to continue installation*

thats patched up size on the One X. (just reading from my game library and sorted by size). So im sure most sizes will be smaller for the S

Nice, that's actually very impressive that its a bigger game but at half the size.

They've 'announced' that they will make cards for different sizes, but those won't be available at launch, or launch window, or for a while at the earliest.

It's a genuine concern.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think it's fair to bring up COD because its a popular game that a lot of people play and will install on their next gen system, but it's not the end all deal breaker.

iPhone is similar in that the iPhone 12 comes with 64GB for $830 and the iPhone 12 pro has 128GB for $1000. The Pro in addition to doubling the memory includes a better camera setup but you have to decide if the extra features are worth it for the difference in cost.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Everyone jumps straight to COD to prove some point but that stupid game is the outlier. Most "big" games are 50-80GB not 250GB

Not to mention we've already been told XSS games should be about 30% smaller than XSX titles.

Assuming 50GB average title size for XSX you'd get 10 games or equivalent on the XSS, 16 on the XSX and 13 on the PS5. The PS4 has an attach rate of 9.6 games per console so the average consumer might actually scrape by the whole gen without any uninstalls (if really lucky).

People really need to get some perspective. Most games are no where near the size of Modern Warfare and most gamers aren't juggling double digit numbers worth of games at once.

Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have more storage... I'd happily pay another hundred dollars for a 2TB XSX. But most people even on Era won't so I'd rather designers maximize power and cheap out on storage space. I can at least expand that myself.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
At first i was thinking about the series s as a secondary console, everything i heard about it since just tells me that it will have problems later in the gen.
Anyways thank god that the series x looks like a great console, i will just buy it later.

Price Drop

Oct 30, 2017
I think the useable storage for the XSS is expected. There are a ton of games that are sized below that of AAA titles. Even at an average of 50GB per game you can have six to seven games at once, plus with XGP there will be a lot of trying out and deleting games. I'm sure next year there will be a cheaper 512GB Seagate Expansion and the 1TB will fall in price to make it a more reasonable purchase.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why in the world would you buy or sell a 128GB or 256GB proprietary SSD for more storage space in this modern era?

Pointing out that Series S + Expansion SSD is a bad value is concern trolling now? The term has lost all meaning.