• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sony was super smart pricing the digital PS5 for only $100 more considering it has way more horsepower and twice the storage. The only problem is actually finding one.

The PS5 DE is absolutely a better value than the Series S. More storage, power on par with the Disc Edition, and a more advanced controller. All for only $100 more.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Guess we'll see how it works out and how much room is actually saved by not having to download the higher resolution textures and what not.

Still, I think at this point it's hard to recommend the S over the X to anyone who's even remotely serious about gaming.
They've said it's 30%, but I imagine many games won't bother being repacked for it

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Same price as X, but with more storage :P
0.5TB more, but then you have the weaker hardware :p

I"m not sure that qualifies as a dilemma. It's so blatantly better to spend 500 on a series X than 520 on a series S plus storage.

My point exactly, outside of some very specific use-cases, getting a Series S over the Series X seems like a very bad deal in the long run. (or hell, even in the immediate launch period run if you have games like Destiny, Warzone etc on your play lists).

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
In this day and age, think most of us can download games absurdly quickly and that will just get better with time. Hell, I download and delete games off Game Pass all the time, it's no big deal.

Of course a next gen system that costs $300 will cut corners, its $300! I would expect that the second revision of Series S, when SSD prices decrease, will either increase the SSD to 1 TB or reduce the system cost to $200 or $250.

You can store 3 or 4 huge games at once with 364 GB, and if you play indies and smaller titles, you can likely fit over 10 games on that SSD at once. I have over 30 games installed on my Xbox One X right now and its only the 900 GB of space that the console has available.

You can also cold store the games on an external, cheap hard drive. You can get 4 TB hard drives for like $80.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose you could just plug in a cheaper USB drive for storage. Can a Series S play games from a USB drive? Or does it just act as cold storage?
I think Series S will still need you to play Series S/X games from the internal SSD. You can use a USB Drive for Xbox One games though

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the Series S allow for external hard drives /SSDs for next gen games, or same constraints as the Series X?
Also supports any proprietary external drive the Series X has and will have. Other kinds of USB drives supported for BC games.
You can easily reinstall games from disc without having to download 45gbs of data if it comes to that. Might make a difference for people with slow internet or data caps.
Another option is to use a USB drive to back up games you might not play for a while, and just move back when you want to.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Said before, when you take in to account having to buy extra storage, you might as well just buy a SX.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
The concern in here is cuttable!

It's not amazing and also not unexpected for weeks? months?

my 500GB X One had 32 games on it at one point. everything will be ok. MS has also stated that there will be 3rd party expansions available at different sizes and prices.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
In this day and age, think most of us can download games absurdly quickly and that will just get better with time. Hell, I download and delete games off Game Pass all the time, it's no big deal.

Depends on the file size. If we're talking 50GB - 100GB, for me at least it'll take several hours to download. We're not yet at a point where we can say downloading games digitally is worthwhile for the majority, unless you happen to be fortunate enough to have insane super fast speeds.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
thats enough for the 3 biggest games on my One X rn.

Rdr 2-- 121.1gb
Halo MCC-- 108.9gb
Destiny 2-- 108.7gb

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Was there meant to be more? you can also disable quick resume and save space that way. Alternatively you can get a cheap harddrive and just swap games between them.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Lol, how long before someone on the internetz expresses concern that the XSS is holding developers back from releasing 365+ GB games next gen.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Of course the bigger internal SSD the better, but whether it's a Series S, a Series X or a PS5, I honestly think an external drive is absolutely necessary at some point.
Yup, none of these consoles have enough space for me. Planning more storage for both PS5 and Series X.

Storage-wise it doesn't really matter to me if these consoles are digital only or come with a disc drive considering the games are installed either way.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
And that.... Really sounds like the final nail in the coffin, don't buy a series S era, just get a Series X or wait for a model with more storage.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Spending $200 extra to get more storage (which by nature of the SSDs is expensive either way if you need to expand the S's storage) and on top of that more power and an optional UHD disc drive seems like a no brainer here. Makes the X look like an even better proposition.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
I think Series S will still need you to play Series S/X games from the internal SSD. You can use a USB Drive for Xbox One games though
Yes, but that cheap cold storage can be used to recopy the game onto the internal SSD quickly. There are youtube videos of people doing exactly that and the speed of copying from cheap external HD storage to the internal SSD was very, very fast.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I wonder how much smaller the game sizes are on the S compared to the X and how many games casual gamers actually buy in a generation. I also wonder how long it will take for Gen 4 SSD prices to come down. I'm probably going to end up spending almost as much on storage as I did on consoles this generation.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it. I just bought the other day a 2TB external drive so I can store backwards compat titles on that. The main storage will be for Series X/S titles and considering Series S is going to be my secondary console I think I'll be just fine. Especially since Series S installs should be less than the Series X counterparts as it will download smaller resolution assets.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
I would imagine seen as the Series S isn't 4K, the games will be a smaller size than the Series X/One X

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Thats less space than a launch PS4, guess we need to find out how big nextgen games will be, they can be smaller or bigger. File size for the S could be smaller too since its not using high res textures.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
About what people were expecting no?

Definitely something to consider when purchasing but as someone that doesn't have loads of games going at once and doesn't mind shuffling stuff around when I need to (thanks Switch for conditioning me lol) it's not a deal breaker for me.

I definitely agree that if someone is getting an S and the expanded storage it kinda makes the X a no brainer in that situation.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine seen as the Series S isn't 4K, the games will be a smaller size than the Series X/One X
They'll probably still be PS4/XB1 range which are usually at least 50GB range nowadays, with the big service games being 70GB-100GB+. External HDD or SSD will probably be a must. I just hope transferring between a external HDD and the SSD is a lot better/faster, if it is be a pretty minor issue.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, that's really not that bad? We don't know the file sizes for Series S optimized games yet, and any USB hard drive will work for backwards compatible games as well.

You figure even if the average AAA next gen game is 100GB, that's space for three games and then some smaller indie games or backwards compatible games as well.

But isn't Spider-Man Miles Morales only 50GB on PS5? That's a decently sized AAA game content wise (assuming the same map as Spider-Man 2018 but higher quality textures) and still pretty small. Unless you have shit tons of games on your hard drive like a family sharing a console, 364GB is perfectly manageable.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but by how much. Official statements say "up to 30%". But we really need to see some examples and actions of that.

I have to imagine Gears 5 won't use the Ultra textures which the PC/XBSX version uses. Those textures are an optional 10GB download on the PC version, so that's 10GB short of an approximate .. what 100GB by now ? (I don't know what the current install size for Gears 5 is on Xbox One/X or Series X).

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
if for some reason u were just using it for Xbox exclusives. Thats enuff to fit
Halo MCC
Gears 5
Gears Tactics
Sunset Overdrive
State of Decay 2

and at least 1 Forza game

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the compromise of it being so affordable. It is what it is.

Transfer speeds even from external mechanical drives sounds perfectly reasonable, so that will do a decent job of mitigating this.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get why people are adding the 200$ proprietary storage to the price and then saying the series s is a bad deal, of course it would be if you did that, but nobody that's buying a series s as a budget console would ever do that. It's like saying a phone is actually cheaper if you buy it outright vs a plan, which is true, but it's hard to do that when you are poor. I've been poor most my life and there's always compromises that have to be made because of that, you end up making do with what you have. 300$ for a next gen console where I have to transfer games to a cheap hard drive is a pretty acceptable compromise.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
The PS5 DE is absolutely a better value than the Series S. More storage, power on par with the Disc Edition, and a more advanced controller. All for only $100 more.
Most casual gamers will never notice the difference in resolution, but they'll absolutely notice the difference in price.