• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Series S in general is almost overtaking Series X in overall sales i believe in Japan? I saw that somewhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can you blame them, tho? It's a declining market.

And their positioning has been trending in that direction since the PS3.

Like I said, the market is declining for a few reasons, and SOME of those reasons are out of Sony's control while others are 100% wounds of their own making. If Japanese consumers felt like Sony was even attempting to appeal to them in any way, the sales wouldn't be as dismal as they are. There's just absolutely zero reason for a Japanese consumer to buy and hold onto a PS5 right now, and outside of FFXVI, there isn't even any reason coming down the pipe for them either.

And in this particular situation, where there is absolutely zero effort being expended by Sony to make the platform appealing, I place the blame more on their shoulders than on the consumerbase's. Japanese players shouldn't be expected to buy an overpriced, oversized piece of hardware when they have nothing to play on it whatsoever. Of course they're gonna prioritize the Switch over that.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, the market is declining for a few reasons, and SOME of those reasons are out of Sony's control while others are 100% wounds of their own making. If Japanese consumers felt like Sony was even attempting to appeal to them in any way, the sales wouldn't be as dismal as they are. There's just absolutely zero reason for a Japanese consumer to buy and hold onto a PS5 right now, and outside of FFXVI, there isn't even any reason coming down the pipe for them either.

And in this particular situation, where there is absolutely zero effort being expended by Sony to make the platform appealing, I place the blame more on their shoulders than on the consumerbase's. Japanese players shouldn't be expected to buy an overpriced, oversized piece of hardware when they have nothing to play on it whatsoever. Of course they're gonna prioritize the Switch over that.

It's an issue of tradeoffs. Sony could do that, but it would mean either creating another platform, which has a lot of risks or changing their strategy of going for cutting edge tech.

The price and size of the PS5 are a result of trying to build the best box they could at that price point.

At the same, the PS5 is still getting all the Japanese software.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Can't see FFXVI selling more than 200-300K in its first week......if that much. Will come nowhere close to remake of course.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Switch appeals to the handheld crowd as well though. The dedicated console market is shrinking / has been steadily shrinking AFAIK. Sony's approach to Japan just makes it shrink faster.
I don't understand what's the need for this handheld vs home, it is a dedicated machine that plays videogames, and their games are all 60usd, not like before where some could be 30-40usd, etc.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
87d.gif

Maybe he bought one?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's an issue of tradeoffs. Sony could do that, but it would mean either creating another platform, which has a lot of risks or changing their strategy of going for cutting edge tech.

Or they could actually try to make and secure some software that appeals to people in Japan. Timed console exclusivity on FFXVI alone is not enough to keep interest in the platform afloat.

They don't need to change their entire strategy, they just need to prove they actually have a commitment to getting and releasing games people actually want to play. It won't make them the top platform in Japan, but they're used to that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Japan preferring Series S over the X is interesting- I know it may just be stock issues but favouring the digital console and with the way Switch has done so well with portability, may suggest that when Microsoft properly releases Xcloud it could do quite well in Japan

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Japan preferring Series S over the X is interesting- I know it may just be stock issues but favouring the digital console and with the way Switch has done so well with portability, may suggest that when Microsoft properly releases Xcloud it could do quite well in Japan

Price, size, and availability. It's a killer combo. The Series S is easier to stock at retailers, it takes up markedly less space, AND it's much cheaper.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Series S is so interesting to me cause it's priced basically like home consoles used to be before HD consoles iirc (though I guess it's probably offset by being digital only). I'd be curious to see how well a PlayStation made with a similar goal would do in Japan, and other places.
(Really I'd love it if Nintendo made a $300 home console that was as powerful as it could be for that price and just played the same games as the main Switch, like the opposite of a Switch Lite)

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I may be wrong but do physical Xbox games even sell there? probably no point on getting a Series X for disc games so might as well get the cheaper option.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Because PS5 normally sells 15k-30k depending on the stock constraints. Last week it was obviously very little stock which makes this basically a joke tweet and not something to actually draw any insight out of other than PS5 wasn't in stock last week.

Though I guess people are trying really hard to take something away from a week of basically no stock out of context when they can easily look up the other weeks if they want. Whatever have fun with it.
065.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I may be wrong but do physical games even sell there? probably no point on getting a Series X for disc games so might as well get the cheaper option.

Physical is a big part of Japan but Xbox Physical is absolutely a hardcore-only market. Games are rarely printed for Xbox there and most have come to terms that they'll need to import if they want physical. That aspect hasn't changed since the X1.

Dec 11, 2017
I wonder how much of it is bought and sold to other countries. I know 80% of our stock comes from Japan lol.

Most PS5s and XSXs bought in Japan are being re-sold. There's virtually no Japanese console market outside of Nintendo and the diminishing returns of what can be sold on PS4.
The Japanese software charts do reinforce the narrative that around half of all Japanese PS5 consoles sold leave the country, but for the Xbox it's hard to know because Japanese software sales charts will practically never track anything Xbox because of Game Pass and the best selling Xbox console being digital only.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I may be wrong but do physical games even sell there? probably no point on getting a Series X for disc games so might as well get the cheaper option.

Physical/retail is king in Japan.

However, Xbox retail shelf space is presumably very limited (I haven't been since the Series consoles launched because of the pandemic but during last gen you'd be lucky to find more than a handful of Xbox discs in major stores) so it probably doesn't make a great deal of difference.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Series S continuing to pay dividends. Starting to feel like stock issues will hinder this entire generation.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Price, size, and availability. It's a killer combo. The Series S is easier to stock at retailers, it takes up markedly less space, AND it's much cheaper.
Yeah that's why I think the fabled xcloud puck will also likely do well as it will be small, specially if the advertise that you can continue from your TV to on the go with your phone. Like it won't probably do as well as the Switch as it has a long history of Nintendo investing in Japan behind it , but it will be a "console" that will tick a lot of boxes on what Japan seems to want in its market

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I do think some of the posts in this thread are taking the wrong message from this news. It isn't that Xbox is somehow going to take over either Switch or PS5 (That will literally never happen). It's more so just impressive that Xbox is in a spot where it has a weighty enough niche that this can even happen.

If things were like last-gen, the XSS and XSX would've sold a combined 20 units that week and that would've been a high mark lol.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I do think some of the posts in this thread are taking the wrong message from this news. It isn't that Xbox is somehow going to take over either Switch or PS5 (That will literally never happen). It's more so just impressive that Xbox is in a spot where it has a weighty enough niche that this can even happen.

If things were like last-gen, the XSS and XSX would've sold a combined 20 units that week and that would've been a high mark lol.
The news here is not really about Xbox at all, it's about Playstation 5 stock turning into a being a disaster for Sony.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, although the title of the thread certainly didn't help.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
"No stock" doesn't really change how crazy it is. If anything, it's crazy that they let interest in PlayStation there decline to the point that they would someday send so little stock that the Xbox would outsell it.

Japan is likely the only country where the PS5 is currently ahead of the PS4 lifetime to date. It's just a week of low shipment after they put out a larger stock for Golden Week, where they did about 25k per week.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Haha, not a title I expected to read. It's been what, 13 years?

Microsoft should have some fun with it though "Xbox Series sells twice as many consoles than PlayStation 5 in Japan!!"

Those numbers seem so small across the board. Supply issues are insane huh??

People are having a chuckle at it. The thread title is also right, but we all understand the context.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
If any Xbox were to connect, it'd be the small, cute S. I'd be more interested to know how Game Pass adoption is going there. To me, that's way more important and likely. Japan has like top 3 digital infrastructure no? If cloud-based games will work anywhere, it'd be places like Japan or South Korea where they've got the capabilities, plus motivating factors like their not wanting the big 'ol consoles themselves.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
No, he said: "Though I guess people are trying really hard to take something away from a week of basically no stock out of context"

No one is doing this, everyone knows.

It's just a fun thread.

I dunno, I'm seeing plenty of "Sony has abandoned Japan" posts even though, comparitively speaking, Japan has likely had the best percentage of PS5 shipments when compared to the PS4 as any country in the world.