• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox tweeted out the official page for the new controller, and on the page, there is an interesting bit about what seems to be multi-device support:

"Easily pair and switch between devices including Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Windows 10 PC, and Android. iOS support coming in the future.* "

This seems to mean that you can have one controller synced to multiple devices at a time and easily swap between those devices without having to re-pair every time. This is similar to the Stadia controller, where you can move around and seamlessly use the controller on whatever device you're currently playing on. Has this been a known feature for the new controller? I haven't seen anything about it until now, and it's IMO a really big one. I have 3 Xbox controllers (1 for my Xbox, 1 for my PC, and 1 for my phone) so to be able to use only 1 controller between them would be a game-changer.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be great. I use a single controller on my console, PC, and iPhone. It is kind of a pain to switch every time.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
yeah they mentioned a while back that they have internal memory to remember your devices now.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
I would be shocked if you didn't have to pair them after using them on console, because the Xbox uses a proprietary wireless format for controllers.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This would be really great, and makes perfect sense with Microsoft's larger plans to have their ecosystem exist between xCloud, PC, and Xbox simutaniously.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This sounds like a great feature and a good reason to upgrade my controllers. I hate using my controller with multiple devices because you constantly have to re-sync which each device.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
How will this work say I have my PC and Xbox in same room which one is gonna turn on when I press the button

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This has been known since March

Xbox Wire: What steps did you take to ensure compatibility and improved connectivity?

Ryan Whitaker:
Designing for compatibility and connectivity has a wide range of implications. Some improvements are completely invisible and work in the background. Others help define the shape of the controller.

First, we're supporting cross-compatibility between Xbox Series X and Xbox One consoles and controllers. They all work together with the same great Xbox Wireless Radio. Gamers can also play on more devices including PC, Android, and iOS. We're implementing Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE) so that pairing to these devices is much easier. The new controller also remembers multiple devices so switching between them is more seamless. And a USB-C port allows gamers to play and charge with a modern cable that's more readily available.

Xbox Series X: Making Gaming's Best Controller Even Better - Xbox Wire

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's a game changer for me, I always 2 xbox controllers, one for the console and other for PC, so when I wanted to use 2 of them in 1 device it was a pain in the ass

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
This is amazing if true. I switch between PC and Xbox fairly often. Currently I just dedicate controllers to one or the other so I don't have to re-sync frequently.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
How will this work say I have my PC and Xbox in same room which one is gonna turn on when I press the button

Everything turns on. ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!

sddefault.jpg

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I may pick one up just to have a better experience playing w/a controller on PC. My DS4 is super wonky when playing games like Forza Horizon on PC Games Pass.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's my one complaint with the current Xbox One controller - I use PC and Android with it and constantly pairing is a hassle. If this can cover both of those and the console I'll be thrilled.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Oo this will be great. I actually ended up just wiring my controllers because I got so tired of taking my controller up and down (only one of my controllers has bluetooth, and I'm using the Xbox adapter elsewhere with the Adaptive Controller in an appropriate use case, so I don't want to be pulling out the adapter frivolously).

Wired does work, though. But I would be very happy if I could be freed from sitting 6 inches in front of the screen. (I generally have in the past and probably still will.. but.. options).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how this would work, to be honest, unless there's a way to specifically tell the controller what to pair to at any given time. The two devices I would have it connected to are separated by about fifteen feet with only one wall between them, so it can easily trigger both systems from either room.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Killer feature. Always need to pair every time I move from laptop to my pc to my TV.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Xbox tweeted out the official page for the new controller, and on the page, there is an interesting bit about what seems to be multi-device support:

"Easily pair and switch between devices including Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, Windows 10 PC, and Android. iOS support coming in the future.* "

This seems to mean that you can have one controller synced to multiple devices at a time and easily swap between those devices without having to re-pair every time. This is similar to the Stadia controller, where you can move around and seamlessly use the controller on whatever device you're currently playing on. Has this been a known feature for the new controller? I haven't seen anything about it until now, and it's IMO a really big one. I have 3 Xbox controllers (1 for my Xbox, 1 for my PC, and 1 for my phone) so to be able to use only 1 controller between them would be a game-changer.
One of the best things about Stadia TBH. Freely moving around with the controller with no need to sync is a godsend.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Not sure how this would work, to be honest, unless there's a way to specifically tell the controller what to pair to at any given time. The two devices I would have it connected to are separated by about fifteen feet with only one wall between them, so it can easily trigger both systems from either room.

Yeah my PC is pretty close to my TV, so I'm curious how it would know whether I'm trying to play on my Xbox or PC. Either way, great news.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
that's a feature of the bluetooth 5.0 chip inside the controller if i'm not mistaken

unrelated but i highly recommend getting a bluetooth 5.0 adapter on pc.

fixed my latency and connection issues with the XBO and Switch Pro controllers

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This has been known for a while (at least I knew it) and its a fantastic feature espeically as someone that constantly goes between phone and Xbox.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Is it that big of a pain? Don't you just push the sync buttons? Takes a few seconds
For me it's less about how long it takes to sync and more that just turning on the controller in order to sync to a new device often turns on the previous device is was synced to.

For my kids, I ended up getting enough controllers for each room in the house so that they didn't need to move controllers around and resync.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
this is great.

however how do you determine which device the controller will pair/connect with when there are multiple? i'm confused.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For me it's less about how long it takes to sync and more that just turning on the controller in order to sync to a new device often turns on the previous device is was synced to.

For my kids, I ended up getting enough controllers for each room in the house so that they didn't need to move controllers around and resync.

yup, just turning on xbox controller automatically turns on the xbox if it's anywhere nearby. then its locked to that xbox. to get around this, i literally have manually walk over and unplug my xbox to use the controller on anything else such as an android tablet (small house). Annoying.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
This will be interesting to see how it plays out, I'd imagine that's more annoying than useful?
I want to turn on the controller to play on my phone, yet it turns on the xbox and vice versa. It's not like the device has the capability to select which paired device you want to use. Using wireless headphones on multiple devices is a huge pain in the ass that I actively avoid, I can't imagine this would play out any better.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is it that big of a pain? Don't you just push the sync buttons? Takes a few seconds
I'd take doing nothing over doing something.
Even using my controller with my PC or phone and going to turn on my Xbox with my pad and realising I can't is enough of an irritant to not use it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020

Okay, yeah that's a good point.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Yeah this is what I'm wondering too. Is there like a device switch or something? I've got a Bluetooth keyboard that has a dial with a 1, 2, 3 on it that I can turn to swap between paired devices, though not sure where something like that would go on an Xbox controller. Maybe if you hold the Xbox button and one of the face buttons (A, B, X, or Y) it will turn on with one of the pairing profiles? Idk, all I can think of.

I mean in the grand scheme of all the things in life that can be a pain, sure, it's negligible, but it can still be annoying. The worst is BE-BOO-BEEP!, the Xbox turns on. Then I have get up and go turn the Xbox off, and most likely find the remote and turn off the TV center too since it usually powers that on as well. Occasionally I can think it's synced to my PC, boot up a game, and low and behold it was actually connected to my phone in my pocket, so I gotta quit out and actually sync it. On top of that, pairing the Xbox controller over Bluetooth on my PC can be a huge pain in the ass, and occasionally doesn't work without rebooting or deleting shit out of the Device Manager or just unless the thing feels like working. I got so tired of it that I picked up the official dongle, so that's less of an issue for me now, but I know some people have the same issues on their setup.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017

Exactly. Multi pair sounds like a recipe for frustration.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Should be a standard feature of all controllers ... but good that there is some progress.