• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Goddammit I had already convinced myself to not pick this up so soon but then I had to come and read this thread and now I want to run out and grab one.

I love the 360/xb1 ones and have used them 99% of the time the last 15 years when using a controller so all the subtle improvements can feel huge to me.

Reading about improved rumble feel is a pleasant surprise.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
I'm gonna have to get mine replaced. It has the unresponsive face button issues as described in other posts, which isn't too bad in my case, but the biggest issue is that the d-pad is busted and can't do an up-right diagonal. Up-left works but is inconsistent, while both of the down diagonals work fine. Fingers crossed that the replacement works fine, because I otherwise like how the controller feels quite a bit.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to know if that's the case with all their controllers or if it's a just a bad batch of controllers, because my A button does the same thing. I miss some spins in Tetris Effect because of it. Problem is it's not easily reproducible. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not.
Yeah I would like to know that too. I have the same problem. First I thought it was just the A-button, but I've realised that all of them does it. Coming from the PS4 controller I think it's because the Dual Shock 4 has shorter travel for the face-buttons. Having not touched an Xbox controller for a whole generation, my fingers simply arent adjusted to it, so I'm very much in doubt whether or not this is a genuine fault in the controller, or simply just different design.

My controller has issues with the audio-jack as well, so I guess I'll send it in anyway.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it looks almost the same, it feels very different once you pick it up and play.

Everything about it is nicer, even if just a little bit, but it all adds up. The share button is very welcome.

I have small-ish hands btw.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's an improvement but it's very incremental. The face buttons feel basically identical, as do the analog sticks. And it doesn't really have any new features beyond the share button.

If you have XO controllers in good condition I wouldn't buy an XS controller, but if you need to buy new XO controllers might as well buy the XS ones.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for impressions from those who have spent some good time with it already, how does it compare to the One controller? Do you like it better? If yes I might grab one for my PC.
I have been using a 360 controller for PC up until I bought the Series X. The controller feels much better and can be used in both wired and wireless. I think it's worth it for PC gamers. I bought the wireless adapter, because I heard somewhere it works a little better than just using bluetooth.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
I just bought a shock blue one to use on pc. I'll echo what most are saying, small but excellent improvements. Love it so far. Haven't used the Dualsense yet though. I bought this instead for the battery life and simple plug and play functionality on windows 10. First I've heard of latency improvements are from this thread.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I'm very happy with the shape, the texture and especially the amazing d-pad, but I really don't like the non-clicky Xbox button (minor) and I am pretty sure my A and Y buttons are not registering 100%. Does anyone know if Microsoft sends a replacement or would I have to wait for a repair?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Agreed. Though I prefer a controller with six action buttons on the face for Street Fighter games, it's nice to know that I can finally use an Xbox controller for most other fighting games. The d-pad is a HUGE improvement over the one on the Xbox One controller.
That's all I needed to hear, considering the d-pad on the Xbox One is pretty crap.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Only messed around with it for a couple hours on PC so far, but my first impression left me expecting more of an upgrade.

D-pad is better, but it was so weak on the One, that its not a high bar.
Rumble probably is superior, but it feels similar. Then again One had solid rumble already and the games I was playing likely don't fully support this new controller.
Was expecting a more rubberized textured grip. Instead of the rough plastic. It's fine, but not overly impressed with that aspect to it.

Cant say it screams upgrade coming from a One, but the dpad feels better.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate how weak the haptics are when you hold down the xbox button. It's so meek I can barely tell if it's registered which is very annoying for turning off the xbox blind

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping some revisions make it's way to the Elite series 3 (as i still prefer my series 2 to the new controller). The new controller ain't bad, i just enjoy the weight, adjustable triggers, and thumbstick tension adjustment of the elite series 2.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to connect the controller to a PC without using blutooth? I Xbox One dongle won't work i guess?

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I find the new controller be just a little too small now, I have to claw my fingers to press the shoulder buttons or else I press them accidentally. Also the left click on the d-pad is significantly louder than any other direction for some reason. It feels nice with the new grips but I'm not sure why they made it smaller. Also my Venom battery packs no longer fit which means the matching charging stand is now useless too.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
These positive reports on the dpad are really tempting me to make this my next PC controller. Sounds like MS finally got it right after decades of trying.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is there any way to connect the controller to a PC without using blutooth? I Xbox One dongle won't work i guess?
The dongle included in the new pc bundle on the xbox website looks exactly like the Xbox One version in the pictures, and I doubt they changed the internals leaving it with the same outer look. I remember reading that MS future proofed the hell out of that thing back then. Old dongles should work fine but someone else could confirm.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's all I needed to hear, considering the d-pad on the Xbox One is pretty crap.
While I do think the Xbox One controller WAS an improvement over past Xbox d-pads, and I can see how some people COULD use the Xbox One controller's d-pad in fighting games, the d-pad on the Xbox Series X|S controller just doesn't require you to be quite so deliberate with your d-pad presses. I tested the Xbox Series X|S controller with both Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (because of how magic inputs work) and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and I found it very easy to reliable pull off moves that would've given me trouble on an Xbox One controller.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The d-pad is great for Tetris Effect Connected, so it has my vote.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Love it, the only reason I haven't picked up a second one is that I'm waiting for design labs to start making them next year.

Dec 21, 2017
I love the new controller, dpad is great. it feels great in the hand. Triggers feel like they have slightly less travel.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

There was a thread on it here recently, and apparently the XBO dongles (including the old rectangular one with hard edges) will work with the Series controller. There's no native compatibility with the share button yet though. Maybe through Steam?

Edit: the thread in question:
www.resetera.com

So my Series X controller came today -for PC- and it has bluetooth issues.

My controller arrived today. I paired it via bluetooth (using a USB Mpow Adapter Bluetooth 5.0) and it recognized it no problem. I tried a couple of games and everything seemed to be alright. However, after playing RDR2 for a while the gamepad started to disconnect and I was prompted on screen...

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I feel the changes to the Xbox Series X controllers have been downplayed in the console reviews. It's not as revolutionary as the PS5 controller, but we're speaking of the great and industry-leading Xbox One controller that now has been improved another time. The reduced latency input is instantly noticeable and a reason to use the new standard Series X controller even over the Elite V2.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I definitely like it more than the X1 controllers. The only thing I don't like, is that there's no system setting to make the Y-axis inverted by default like with the Elite.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Down the road, I'll get one I guess - for the foreseeable future I'm good with the One controllers I have for my PC.
I almost bit when I saw one for around 40 Euro - I love the feeling of new controllers. But my gaming budget is a bit slim after a new graphics card this month :D

The dream is they'll ad Gyro to either the next controller iteration or to the next Elite.

slammer

Nov 2, 2017
Bought the black and the blue one. The black one had a little better build quality and the rumble was slightly more intense, so I kept the black one.
Speaking of rumble: I noticed that my Xbox One Controller (Gears 5 limited edition) does vibrate MUCH stronger. Is this normal behavior or is it because I'm playing on Xbox One X (I don't own a Series S/X nor do I play to in the forseeable future)?
Other than that, it's worth every cent, playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is a dream with the new dpad, to the point that I can't tell anymore whether I prefer to play it with the DS4 or the new Xbox Controller. Also the slightly smaller size does wonders for my hands.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely better, but not by a whole lot. The added weight is an improvement, and I much prefer the new matte finish on the shoulder buttons and triggers vs the old glossy plastic. The dpad is also better IMO, though that might be subjective.

Overall, it's an improvement, but once you get as close to perfect as the Xbox One controller, improvements are incremental at best.

nillarilla

Feb 10, 2019
I've never had a controller hurt my hand as much as this one does - I just got a silicone cover for it because my suspicion is that it's because of how hard it is now.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Literally the only difference is the D-pad and texture, anyone claiming there's a "huge improvement" is brain dead delusional. It's effectively identical to the Xbone pads in practice.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
My experience with it (after I got a replacement as the first one had a dead vibration motor in the left trigger) is mixed. I am unfairly compairing it to my gen 1 Elite Controller though - I haven't held a regular controller in a few years.

Comparing the Series to the Elite:

Pros:
- lovely shape
- very comfy triggers, nicer shape than the Elite
- nice materials

Cons:
- "A" button clicks and sticks occasionally
- "A" and "Y" rattle a bit more than the more solid feeling "X" and "B"
- Trigger vibration is very subtle in comparison to the Elite controller
- Vibration in general is lower

I'd like the Elite with the new shape triggers. Hopefully an Elite v3 is in the works.

Oct 29, 2017
Would you care to share some pictures of it, please?

I use my Switch pro controller on PC, and was wanting to get a xbox controller. Guess I'll wait a little bit more.

Sadly I forgot to snap a photo before packaging it back up to return to Amazon! A replacement is being delivered this afternoon so we'll see if it's from the same batch.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
It;s definitely an improvement.

Do you guys feel the left analog stick is a bit taller than the one on xbone? That's the only thing that sticks (haha) out.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It feels great and overall an improvement over the already great controller from last gen

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a fan of the One's controller as I preferred the feel of the 360 controller. The new controller feels more like the 360.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
It's an improvement but it's very incremental. The face buttons feel basically identical, as do the analog sticks. And it doesn't really have any new features beyond the share button.

If you have XO controllers in good condition I wouldn't buy an XS controller, but if you need to buy new XO controllers might as well buy the XS ones.

This is where I am at with it. Coming off the new PS controller, its a shame the Xbox controller didnt implement any haptic feedback or anything new. TBH the only thing that has felt next gen to me so far (other than my first experience with 4k gaming) is the new dual sense.

However, I think the Xbox controller was already in a great spot to begin with. If it aint broke, dont fix it. We also have yet to see if devs will actually take advantage of what Sony is doing with their controller. It remains to be seen if its just a gimmick or if its the future.

So while Im not blown away by the new xbox controller, its just slightly different/improved from the previous ones and I dont think anyone is missing out by not getting one right away.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Might be the best D-pad I've ever used. I love the texture on the back and the triggers so far and overall it's more pleasant to hold than the Xbox One controller. Aesthetically, it's a gorgeous controller. It's going to be really fun to order the customer controllers when they open that program up again.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It feels almost as big of a leap as 360 to x1 for me.
I agree with this 100% but I thought the leap from 360 to X1 was tiny. Same for this one. It's an improvement but my main issues with the controller have been the same since the 360 launch and haven't changed one bit... the bumpers are still clicky (which I realize is a matter of preference but I dislike) and the dpad, while improved yet again and now actually quite competent if one doesn't factor in diagonals (surprisingly good for Tetris Effect, for example), is still unusable for some of the genres where it is most important (looking at you fighting games).

Basically, it's still a fantastic controller but it retains the flaws it's always had, imo.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The Series X|S controller has a lot of really noticeable improvements from the last gen Xbox controllers, and now I'd say it has the best form factor of any controller ever made. The shape, the material on the front and especially back, the feel of the buttons and the shape of the triggers, the D-pad. It's all second to none, and extremely comfortable to my hands. It's a shame that it's missing the haptics and adaptive triggers from the Dualsense, which are fantastic features that really improve the play experience as well, but hopefully those come later in a X|S controller revision.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Does this weigh more than the Xbox one controller?

My biggest problem with the Xbox controller vs ps4 is the weight. Hate how heavy it is. But I imagine a lot of the weight is from the AA's.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I skipped the Xbox One so I don't have experience with that controller, but honestly it doesn't feel very different to me than the 360 one in practice. It's just a controller to me -- if you like an Xbox controller, you'll like it.