• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It feels almost the same to me, but that new d-pad is pretty nice. I like how clicky it is.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I got a bit of discomfort in my thumbs due to its small size. I don't appreciate the fact that they downsized the height of the thumbsticks along with the rest of it. The left stick doesn't feel as high as the old ones, but i can pull it out a little, so perhaps its defective in some way.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
hard to say without taking into account of durability, but it feels better. slightly smaller, better fit, clicky d pad, lots of tension in sticks, better bumper shape, better textures throughout, feels more solid, (apparent) improvements in latency, and a share button. but yeah, probably safe to say its an improvement

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything feels great. I went in expecting to hate the D-pad, I'm a pretty big D-pad snob, and... I actually really like it.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
Controller feels great. I find the plastic feels better, Dpad is nice and clicky, size is great and the textured triggers and bumpers is super nice. I think the texture on the bumpers kind of helps highlight where you are supposed to "bump" with your finger. I think I've been doing it wrong for years.

It sucks not having the fancy triggers. But everything else is just so good.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Love the changes. I have officially retired my elite V1. D-Pad is amazing, weight, texture, size are near perfect.

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love it, there are tiny changes to the shape that make it really nice to hold but still very familiar. The texturing is really nice and the DPad has been incredible imo. The share button and USB C are nice additions too, and I like they stuck with removable batteries over a hard to replace battery pack.

I don't know if this is a widespread issue on them but the white controller that came with my Series S doesn't give feedback when I push the DPad up-right diagnonal, but the Black one that came with the Series X was fine, it's not breaking and Microsoft have offered to replace it but it was a disappointment for me.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Favorite controller I've used. The changes are slight, but it's a great refinement on an already awesome controller. Only thing I'd like added is one back paddle for certain games.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Is the improved latency noticeable on an Xbox one?
Does the rumble still make a lot of noise?
Also, does anyone who accidentally input diagonals with the one's pad not do it anymore with the new one?

It's about time Microsoft lets users configure the strength of rumble via global interface because most games do not have that feature and generally it's way too strong in every fricking game.

I only have one controller for my xb1 and I'm not gonna get a series for some time still but I may be interested in getting that beautiful blue new controller.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, it's a range of minor ergonomic improvements that gives an overall sense of noticeable improvement. No one thing is seriously changed from what we're used to, but taken all-together, I think the controller ends up feeling more like a unibody shape that I personally find more comfortable to hold, and the new disc-esque dpad is awesome IMO.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's great. Love the textured back, triggers and bumpers.

The dpad design is also awesome but the clickiness is annoying loud.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
As others have said, the D pad is god tier. It's probably the best in a controller since the Saturn. My one complaint is that I wish there were some more buttons. I basically refuse to play shooters without paddles. But even without them, I would love there to be 6 face buttons instead of 4. Doing that would make it the best fighting game pad in history.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I like the textured style it has going for it. I also like the dpad very much. So I guess like for it is marginally higher than the previous controller.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Subtle but a huge improvement. Great weight distribution, texture in the back and triggers, and the bumpers are much more integrated into the design.

Just about the perfect controller IMO, especially for someone who greatly prefers offset sticks.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
If this had paddles I'd immediately use it over my Elite V2. I'm definitely going to use it for fighting games until I can pick up a PS5.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm liking it so far, but I'm curious how well the dpad will hold up in the long run. I had the dpad on my XB1 start double tapping inputs after awhile.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the bumpers really good? Because I've always found the bumpers of the One controller awful, feeling cheap and almost broken, and a big downgrade from the 360 ones. So I'm a bit wary when I see people here saying they were any good and praising the new version.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
At the very least, I wish they added a gyroscope & an accelerometer. But otherwise, it's more of a refinement of what came before, which isn't a bad thing.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
its definitely better, very curious what they do with the Series 3 Elite controllers.

Its my fav of the basic controllers atm tho, gotta try Dualsense to see how that goes, personally was not a great fan of the DS4 altho its miles better than DS3

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Aside from the super useful share button, the gold tier dpad and the improved wiress signal what I do like the most is that it has a rougher texturized sides in comparison to the original S controller and the non slippery glossy bumpers and trigger feels super nice for being held longer periods of time (also the triggers have a softer end-cushion).

PD: I still don't know whare you people get that the controller is smaller or the analog stiffer. I think they are exactly both the same in that regard. Here is a comparison with a teardown.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
Oh yeah. It's the best standard controller for any console. They kept all the best things from the previous GOAT and made them better.

Lizard Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
I must of gotten a dud, my Series S controller had a broken down input. Feels mushy and it won't register inputs, especially down/left & down/right. Sent for a replacement but microsoft returns has to receive the broken controller first so I can't play anything except Rock Band 4 for 2-3 weeks.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Excited to see the Xbox Design Labs open back up next year - presumably with Series X|S controllers.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Defs a step up for me. The triggers and the back texture feel more premium. Still using the Xbox button then pressing x,y for screenshots/videos so hopefully will learn to use the share button more

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of feels like a side step from the One S/X controller for me rather than any step up or down, just kind of remixed. I like the dpad and the share button, but i feel like the texturing on the back feels a little cheap and the triggers are a little stubby. It's kind of a wash haha there was nothing wrong with the previous pad though so that's a fine place to be!

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. The dpd is very very nice. (Never had an elite controller). Feels super responsive and satisfying to use

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is so different about the d-pad? Is it still clicky in the same way or they changed something? I really wish it was membrane based...

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The the new screenshot button, the shape, the triggers and also the slightly higher stiffness of the sticks are awesome.
I was on the fence for a clicky d-pad, as I like softer but still assuring d-pads (think old nintendo d-pads on the first day of use), but having tried it now, I like it. It's not directly clicky, there is a short moment of tension building up before the click and and it's not too hard.

What I thought I'd love for sure is the texture on the grips, but actually, I don't. It's grating and plasticky. Not TERRIBLY so, but enough that I'd prefer it without... I wish they made the grip shells interchangeable and you maybe could get a slightly noppy fake-leather one or one that has this soft of some gaming mice.

Nov 21, 2017
Mind you that I haven't tried Dual Sense yet, but the new Xbox controller is the best controller I have used to date. It is perfection in physical form. The size and weight are absolutely spot on. The d-pad is a big improvement. The triggers are better. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a step up. Enjoying how clicky the d-pad is, and much prefer the matte plastic over the One's d-pad.

Oct 30, 2017
it's fantastic. far better than the elite 2 unless you really need the paddles. great d-pad for once and everything just feels super tight and refined.

unfortunately mine has a dead stick so i need to RMA, but the fact i'm even bothering to do so when i have the elite 2 says it all.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Here is a comparison with a teardown.

Watching this video and trying to figure out if I can swap the face buttons (I prefer the Nintendo layout) but I don't think it gives a clear enough look =\

Does anyone know whether the face buttons can be swapped or are they designed to only fit in their specific positions?

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Watching this video and trying to figure out if I can swap the face buttons (I prefer the Nintendo layout) but I don't think it gives a clear enough look =\

Does anyone know whether the face buttons can be swapped or are they designed to only fit in their specific positions?
I don't think you can. The xbox buttons are molded to the shape of the controller that means for example that the B button slightly slanted to the right.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What is so different about the d-pad? Is it still clicky in the same way or they changed something? I really wish it was membrane based...

It's got a deeper action but in a good way. I dunno how to describe the difference (describing d-pads is so difficult!) but every action is deliberate (no accidentally hitting the wrong direction) yet it doesn't feel too clicky/hard to press.

I guess I would say that my Elite dpad always feels like it's slightly wiggly in the housing (a factor of it being removable/swappable I suppose) but this one feels incredibly sturdy and locked in place.

It's both soft and clicky. Just feels right.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I hardly notice any difference to be honest, a bit better grip is nice though. Still havent made up my mind on the D-pad since Ive only played Valhalla with it so far and theres not a lot of use for D-pad there.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
PD: I still don't know whare you people get that the controller is smaller or the analog stiffer. I think they are exactly both the same in that regard. Here is a comparison with a teardown.

Yeah, Ben Heck did a great teardown of the controller where he documented everything and found that aside from a couple of minor changes to the D-Pad and the switch to USB C internally it is using identical components to the current XOS one. Which is a shame since the build quality of those controllers is hit and miss, particularly the bumpers.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
I don't think you can. The xbox buttons are molded to the shape of the controller that means fo example that the B button slightly bends to the right.
Ah that's a real shame. Obviously makes sense from an ergonomics perspective but makes modding trickier.

I can't be the only person in the world who'd like a button swap so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a mod kit.