• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I mean, it's essentially the same, with a WAY better d-pad (at least, this one works) and the grips which feel nice.
Not having any additional features for developers to use like paddles, gyro, or haptics is a huge miss but who knows, maybe they'll release a different pro controller in 3 years if the DualSense picks up a lot of steam. Would just have liked them to push it a little more. Controllers make such a huge difference.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's perfect by virtue of fixing the shitty dpad. Everything else was already great. The only thing that can make it better would be adding paddles, gyro and taking some cues from the dual sense haptics.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Yes, it's an amazing controller, and undisputedly the best pack-in controller for an Xbox. It feels high quality in a way even X360 and X1 pack-in controllers haven't since the OG Xbox (but better). Everything feels tight, it has a nice heft, the grips feel great, and the share button is an excellent and well positioned addition. The Dpad feels great too, but jury is still out on if its good for 2D fighters. I wil say it did great with Tetris.

I will also say that it feels perfect in my hands. It's a bit slimmer, feels closer to an X360 controller in size, but just has a beautifully sleek shape.

I have yet to try the PS5 controller, so I can't compare to that, but I am much more impressed with it than I expected.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Bumper buttons are a night and day difference between my OG one controller. Everything else are little improvements which all add up to a great controller.

teraMEL0S

Oct 27, 2017
I did want to add that I think the bumpers are the best they've ever been on an Xbox controller. I don't often see people complain that much about the Xbox One controller bumpers, but I always disliked the hollow feel and glossy texture to them. I definitely love the dpad, too.

The matte finish on the entire controller feels wonderful. It feels very comfortable and easy to hold.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I can only compare to the 360 one but i can say it's got the best sticks of any pad I've tried. It feels amazing to play a racing game and being able to do super slight turns to correct your direction ever so slightly. I've never been able to do that so effortlessly with any gamepad before. The dpad is great but it can be quite noisy.

The only real negative i have is that the light of the logo is too bright. I wish it could be turned off or dimmed down.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's subtle changes. Like, extremely subtle.

If you're used to using an Xbox controller you'll instantly notice that it feels different. But if you're happily using one then I wouldn't rush out and replace it either.

The d-pad is great. It's better than the d-pad on the Elite v2 (which is annoying because that's still the controller I'm using). It's got the great textured triggers that the PUBG controller and the Elite v2 had. It's got the share button. The back, where you're fingers grip it, is textured. It feels really nice and premium.

It is slightly smaller which I actually don't like as much. I've got big hands. 🙌🏼

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The vibrations are wayyyyy smoother and you barely notice them anymore, not because they're bad, but because they feel so natural.

Besides that, the screenshot button is a gift from heaven.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I like it! (only bought the controller, for PC usage). I'm not sure whether I prefer its D-pad over the Xbox One's, though.

My right bumper is clicky while the left bumper is mushy / not clicky. Anybody else experience this?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought one for PC use only.

It feels really nicely made, but I can't bear how loud and clicky the dpad is. It's so noisy that it dominates the game audio.

I am returning the one I bought.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Even coming from an Elite 1 controller to this new one feels like an improvement. It's a solid controller.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels heavier (more dense) then Elite V2 too. Didnt expect that.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I like it more than the Xbox One controller, but still don't fully like it more than the elites, so I really haven't been using it for a lot of games.

I do think it feels better in the hands, though. I love the dpad. I wish they'd sell these "faceted" d-pads with the raised cardinal directions for the elite pads now. It feels really grippy to me, without feeling "sticky" at all, which I kinda like, too.

This reminds of of something I heard Jeff Grubb say a while ago about it, and I guess I'd have to agree. The weight of the controller feels mostly in the grips where your hands are in the new Xbox Wireless controller were on the Xbox One controller, a lot more weight is in the middle areas of the controller. I think he's right when he said that was something that makes it feel better.

I can only compare to the 360 one but i can say it's got the best sticks of any pad I've tried. It feels amazing to play a racing game and being able to do super slight turns to correct your direction ever so slightly. I've never been able to do that so effortlessly with any gamepad before. The dpad is great but it can be quite noisy.
This is something where I could never agree with people who like the 360 pad over the Xbox One pad too, although I never related it to racing (even if it makes perfect sense). The 360 sticks have like almost a "hump" of resistance before you can make tiny adjustments with the sticks. I found that infuriating in first-person shooters since I play with higher sensitivities.

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Compared to the older standard Xbox controllers it feels way better. Less hollow, more tight. Close to an Elite even I would say.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using it on PC and it's a massive massive improvement over the 360 controller and dualshock 3 (The last two I used). Everything about this controller is a massive upgrade. I love the bumpy plastic which actively feels good to the touch, to the amazing dpad that has a clicky feel (in a very good way) and finally has good accuracy (they f'd up the 360 dpad soooooo bad).

It's a great controller. It also just looks really nice. I have the white one and it's very clean looking.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's definitely an improvement but I have a love/hate relationship with the new D-pad. From a pure control point of view, it's probably the best D-pad I've ever used as it's really clicky and responsive, perfect for 2D platformers and fighters. But on the other hand, because it's so clicky, it's also LOUD. And I'm afraid I'll wake up the house at night playing twitchy indie platformers.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that I'm suddenly head shotting everything on Gears 5 at a higher difficulty. Don't know how a placebo could make me do that, but everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose.
Yeah I kind of expected not to notice the latency drop - I'm just not that good! But Gears 5 on the XSX was immediately noticeable compared with the 1X.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I had the 1X, didnt play it too much. I'd be hard pressed to tell you its that much different. Feels almost 90% the same to me, dont really use the share button. I guess the grip texture is different and a very different clicky D pad. Its a decent controller overall.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's my new favorite controller. Easily. The texture on the grips is insanely good, and it's also on the triggers. I play a lot of puzzlers, so the dpad is important. MS got it right this gen while Sony fumbled theirs. Also a fan of the MS stick layout since most games are played with the left analog stick, so putting it in the neutral resting place for your hand makes the most sense, and its the most comfortable. Also the audio stream sent to the XSX controller is so much better than what the Dualsense is getting.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All three of my new controllers have an A button that sometimes doesn't register unless you hit it dead on, which is clearly a manufacturing issue, so not for me. If I press it slight to the right, which is where I naturally press it with the slope of the controller, it registers 60% of the time.

And one of them doesn't even always register the A button even when I press it dead centre unless it's a very firm press.

I bought an Xbox One X just last year and had this issue through a couple controllers, did a few replacements and it's a bit better now but I'm convinced the quality control for this is super funky even for Xbox One controllers. I rarely see it mentioned though so I feel like I'm from a bizarro world. It's definitely a thing though.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I bought an Xbox One X just last year and had this issue through a couple controllers, did a few replacements and it's a bit better now but I'm convinced the quality control for this is super funky even for Xbox One controllers. I rarely see it mentioned though so I feel like I'm from a bizarro world. It's definitely a thing though.
There's definitely something off with the big spongey buttons. They have a lot of "play" in them. On one of the controllers, for example, I can press the button lightly down without it registering, and then register the button repeatedly by slightly changing my pressure on the button without actually letting it release back up.

So, in other words, there's too much movement in the buttons before they make contact at the bottom to register the press.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I very quickly went from it's ok and I'm not sure about the dpad, to using the DualSense and thinking this was the new hotness for comfort, then going back and realizing the dpad is amazing after a short introductory period. The controller overall is much more comfortable than the DS and somehow a good step up from the One and my Elite v1.

Oct 10, 2020
Definitely improvement. Grips and overall more robust. More bulky in a good way. But looking at dual sense I would have appreciated some sort of innovation. Xbox's series is a bit cheaper so... happy with both

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
The refinements all add up to make the best controller they've ever made. Hoping we get a haptics revision over the course of the gen. That said I love it, as someone who primarily plays on Xbox the changes stuck out to me.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the new d-pad. It is clicky but mine is not much louder than the last one and definitely quieter than a keyboard, so it should not be a shock for PC gamers.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They also changed the weighting of it, and now it feels incredibly good in the hands. The XB1 controller just felt off to me.

It's pretty good and surprisingly the d-pad is awesome, the clicky sound is kinda loud and annoying though.

Agreed on the noise. I could live without that, but otherwise it's the best dpad I've ever used outside of the Vita.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
I do like the rubber grip compared to special edition and the feel of the triggers are nice.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've never been keen on the Xbox controllers and this one feels very similar to the Xbox One controller to me. The main issue for me is everything is so damn loud. Clicks and clacks all over the place. Even the thumbsticks are loud when you get them to the edges.

Still enjoying the system a bunch though!

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I bought one yesterday since I wanted a new controller for my PC and can say I'm really liking the feel of it. This is my first Xbox controller though so I can do a comparison for you.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I still definitely prefer my elite series 2 over the supplied X controller. It's just such a premium well built controller I can't use anything else, well except my scuffs.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Definitely feels better than the standard One controller but like not by a massive amount either. If you really hated the the old one this won't change your mind.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's very minor IMO.

The Dpad is a big improvement, having a dedicated share button is kind of handy and the. Textured handles/triggers are a nice addition.

I still prefer my OG elite though mainly because I prefer the weight of that thing.

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
All three of my new controllers have an A button that sometimes doesn't register unless you hit it dead on, which is clearly a manufacturing issue, so not for me. If I press it slight to the right, which is where I naturally press it with the slope of the controller, it registers 60% of the time.

And one of them doesn't even always register the A button even when I press it dead centre unless it's a very firm press.
Thought that was just me, the second controller I ordered I don't get this issue though luckily.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Can the Share button be disabled? I've accidentally pressed it a lot while playing COD and it's annoying as fuck.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked one up to use for my One X and for some light PC gaming since my old Xbox One controller was on its last legs. The new one is great. It feels much more solid solid, the bumpers feel better, and the biggest improvement by far is the d-pad. I played some THPS 1+2 with it and the difference is night and day. It's totally worth an upgrade if you need a new controller. It might not have any fancy next gen gimmicks (gimmick here not being a negative term), but in every way that really matters it's a better controller than the previous Xbox One edition.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Wow, so it still have the SAME problem of every Xbox One controller out there... shame on MS for not fixing this A button crap :/

I mean, other then that I love my One S controller, have it for years but the A button is such an issue on game where you have to hold it to run or even platforms that use double jump.
I'm lucky that on my controller it's less pronounced but on other controllers is even worse... is the dpad of Series controller softer at least? Dpad on my One S is way too hard to press.