• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
So, my X was fine last night when my son was playing Fortnite, but this morning, the the power button beeps like normal and lights up, but turns off 4-7 seconds later. I get no video signal to the TV, and the fans don't seen to kick in. I have 2 external hard drives, and they are seemingly cycling on and off. I'm guessing the power supply is shot and I'll need to have MS fix it, as it's out of the 1 year warranty period.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone had to send their Xbox into Microsoft for other reasons? How long did it take?

I'm really bummed out, because I had recently gotten into Fallout 76 and now I won't be able to play it for who knows how long.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unplug it, press the power button repeatedly, plug it back in and try that. If not, it could be faulty. I haven't had to send an Xbox in since RROD but I remember them being really easy to work with.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Have you tried unplugging it from the wall and letting it sit for 5-10 mins? Plug it back in after and it may go back to working as usual. Sorry to hear your system died, hope it works again.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
When I last sent in my One for repair, I had the option of immediately paying for a refurb as well as sending in my old console. The whole process took about 4 days. Sorry to hear about the hardware failure though, it sucks :(

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
So, my X was fine last night when my son was playing Fortnite, but this morning, the the power button beeps like normal and lights up, but turns off 4-7 seconds later. I get no video signal to the TV, and the fans don't seen to kick in. I have 2 external hard drives, and they are seemingly cycling on and off. I'm guessing the power supply is shot and I'll need to have MS fix it, as it's out of the 1 year warranty period.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone had to send their Xbox into Microsoft for other reasons? How long did it take?

I'm really bummed out, because I had recently gotten into Fallout 76 and now I won't be able to play it for who knows how long.
Do you have a Microsoft store near by? When I had issues I went there for an exchange. Or you can request an advance exchange if available I've done that as well.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That sucks to hear. The first thing you'll want to try and do is perform a USB recovery. It sucks, but luckily the Xbox keeps your saves in the cloud under the standard configuration. Outside of having to install your games again, you should be good.

If not then contact Microsoft support over the phone, not via webchat or internet. I've had much better luck speaking with an actual person then someone trying to manage 8 chat windows at once.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sounds like you definitely need get in touch with customer service asap. Hopefully, they can fix it without you paying exorbitant fee. However, as others have mentioned, it might contingent upon you being able to reach a local MS store.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you try disconnecting the external drives?

My xbox one x has problems with power cycling (?) of my external. I need to disconnect/reconnect the drive every time I launch it, or it won't recognize the drive. I guess it doesn't wake the external from sleep.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you unplug it from the back of the console too, it's supposed to reset the internal breaker. Otherwise unfortunately power supply problems are a fairly common issue across all Xbox One models.

OP
OP
Deadpool_X

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Yeah this was gonna be my question..if you haven't yet try powering it on with the usb drives unplugged.
Yeah, my first step was to unplug the external drives and the network cable. Same result.

Make sure you unplug it from the back of the console too, it's supposed to reset the internal breaker. Otherwise unfortunately power supply problems are a fairly common issue across all Xbox One models.
This is what I've been doing. I've plugged it into different outlets as well.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some really wonky hardware malfunctions with my Xbox. Something similar has happened to me before (multiple times.) Normally it works itself out if you disconnect it for ten minutes or so and let the power brick completely shut off. Then plug it back in and it should work. A hard reboot on top of it by holding the power button helps too.

My latest error (that seemed to be fixed with an update) was that every so often my external hard drive would disconnect.

OP
OP
Deadpool_X

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
That sucks to hear. The first thing you'll want to try and do is perform a USB recovery. It sucks, but luckily the Xbox keeps your saves in the cloud under the standard configuration. Outside of having to install your games again, you should be good.

If not then contact Microsoft support over the phone, not via webchat or internet. I've had much better luck speaking with an actual person then someone trying to manage 8 chat windows at once.
Just tried, no success. Power up chime plays, no signal to tv, then 4-7 seconds later, power down chime. Nothing ever appears on the screen.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Just out of curiosity did you connect it to a surge protector? I have had a similar issue once with my OG Xbox One, and I think it was because of a small power surge. I disconnected the power brick from the wall for a bit and then replugged it and it worked. The One S (and I assume the One X as well) have the power-supply built-in but hopefully the same thing will work. I would also suggest disconnecting all of the USB accessories you have while doing this, just to be sure it is not one of them. Also, I know this might seem strange, but turn your TV on first and set it to the Xbox One's input before turning on the Xbox; I have had issues with HDMI devices not functioning correctly with the TV power-state feature (where when you turn the TV on it turns the device plugged into the HDMI that the input settings are on; and similarly when you turn the TV off)

If anything call MS or go to a MS Store if you live near one, they have very good customer service in my experience. They serviced my first gen Surface Pro in 2016 long after the warranty expired and they replaced a malfunctioning second-hand Surface Pro 3 for my friend for free as well.

Hope it all goes well and you can play the games you want soon.

Gizmo

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Sorry to hear that OP. I had a similar situation with mine. Unplugging the power from the back of the console and doing a hard reset fixed it for me.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Theres a way to boot into a safe mode to do offline updates, repair corrupt os etc. If you can't even get to that screen then it's likely the power supply.
I
t's actually quite easy to replace the supply yourself but you have to make sure you buy the correct one. Microsoft sources slightly different psu, heatsink and fan but you can't mix and match as they fit together slightly differently.

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I had mine replaced at a MS store while in warranty when it simply did nothing even after trying the typical diagnostic steps. No beeps, no lights, no signal. Still, $249 is more than half the cost of a brand new one.