• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
My XOne X is normally very quiet, but certain games make it spin up quite loudly:
Wolfenstein II
Doom Eternal
Bloodstained

I kind of understand the first two...
I don't understand the last one ... 🤨

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I finally finished Devil May cry 5 today on Gamepass, have the Scorpio edition One X that is still whisper quiet. Sounds like there may be some dusting in order in your future or something seriously wrong with your console.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
My launch Project Scorpio was basically silent, i had a warranty repair and the one I got back (also Project Scorpio, in late 2018) is louder but I do sit at a desk less than 2ft from it and use open back headphones and I can only hear it in certain games randomly when there's no audio playing, never over any game audio. It hasn't got any louder over time but I wouldn't describe it as loud at all

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
My XOne X is normally very quiet, but certain games make it spin up quite loudly:
Wolfenstein II
Doom Eternal
Bloodstained

I kind of understand the first two...
I don't understand the last one ... 🤨
I read that some Bethesda published games gave it an issue. I noticed it with Wolfenstein II when we first got the one X. A quick read made it seem a common issue.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Got pets in the house? I was a little lax and dog hair got in. Gave it a good cleaning and it's back to normal. So there's hope.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I'm hundreds of hours into Forza Horizon 4, and I've never heard the fan spin up, not even once.
Definitely get it looked at, if possible.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Mine isn't too bad, but some games like RDR2 will crank it up a notch

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Same experience for me, It was quiet for about a week and then started to gradually get louder. My PS4 Pro is only slightly more annoying bcause it has more of a high pitched whine, but it is just as loud. Maybe the thermal paste is crap, I don't know.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
must be nice having a quiet xbox X like all of these folks here.

both of mine have been loud. even replaced the paste on my second one, and it still roars.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I was under the impression the One X is not meant to have the fan issues the ps4pro does.

Both are ridiculously loud.
Something is clearly wrong with his console. All the Xbox One X from my friends or mine are whisper quite and in my experience only got slightly louder playing RDR2 for a long time. Meanwhile my PS consoles and the Pro of my friends are loud.

The fact that Cerny acknowledged the issue goes to show that PS4/Pro being loud is common. It's a issue they obviously worked on with PS5 and I hope they finally got their console silent.

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing DMC V on my brother's One X and this thing sounds like it's about to jet off to Mars.

I was under the impression the One X is not meant to have the fan issues the ps4pro does.

To the point I can hear it over my headphones.
You are more likely to get a louder noise output from 60Hz games tbf.

Gears 4/5 made it noticeable to me but also RDR2.

Everything else is quiet.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
A loud One X is not normal. Your brother should replace it, OP.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One X is known to be super quiet, as in I don't even hear anything.
So this means a problem with your console, too much dust inside your Xbox or not enough ventilation.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing DMC V on my brother's One X and this thing sounds like it's about to jet off to Mars.

To the point I can hear it over my headphones.
The console seems to be faulty, mine is super quiet even playing RDR2 and more.

Also played DMCV and no noise.

The loudest it was, was during the Avengers beta this weekend

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds a lot like my problems with the Xbox One X. Soon after it getting loud like that (like maybe 2 weeks), I had 2 second screen freezes in games like Mafia 3 and then emergency shutdowns due to heat after an other week.

I send it in and when it returned to me, it said "replaced dried out thermal paste" on the report. Have actually seen cheap thermal paste a lot as a complaint.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally could not hear mine when I had one. My PS4 Pro is pretty quiet too, but the One X was on a whole other level of quietness.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I use mine all the time and it's so quiet it might as well be off.
I have two, and neither make a sound.

But then maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it (I can definitely hear my PS4Pro, however).
I bought my Xbox One S off a guy who said it was way too loud and was going back to OG Xbox One.

But you're hearing it through headphones, so :O

Crax

May 21, 2018
Mine has recently started to being a lot more audible than some months ago. Have removed dust several times, but doesn't help. I'm so ready for the Series X.

SRV

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
That sucks, my X was whisper quiet. I hope the XSX and PS5 both stay quiet after a few years. My PS4 Pro is a fighter jet in disguise and I'm not joking when I say that alone is worth the price of next-gen for me.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It surprises me that these consoles don't feature removable dust filters over all the vent areas that you can just clip off, blow or wash the dust off and then pop back on. Would be a far better solution for everyone.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Scorpio Edition has the same issue sadly. Am thinking about changing the paste (any advice on type is always appreciated), but curious to see if I'll be able to trade in my Scorpio Edition towards paying for the series X... In which case I don't think I should change the paste, because trade-in might not be possible then I guess.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had the same problem with the console.ine was the Gold Rush BFV Edition so not that old. It was much much louder than my Pro and that's why I sold it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine goes wild with Witcher 3 BaW.

But it's whisper quiet for everything else.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
must be nice having a quiet xbox X like all of these folks here.

both of mine have been loud. even replaced the paste on my second one, and it still roars.
I've thought about repasting my Scorpio Edition, but my fear is always that the time and likely frustration won't make a difference. And my X isn't even loud, but I've considered it as a side project.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Mine sounds only with certain games, specially the not very polished ones (like recently ooblets) but I think is more or less normal since right now is summer in my country. Most of the time the console is very quiet.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is silent 99% of the time.

Does yours have enough ventillation, OP?

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Don't think I've ever heard mine. It's not my primary though so doesn't get as much use generally. But yeah nary a peep whatever the game.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Never had this problem and I'm using a Scorpio launch unit. I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 at the moment and while the console is louder than usual it's still nothing compared to my PS4 Pro.

Vegetom

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is also a jet engine. No warranty anymore. Opened it up last week, there was almost no dust. Didn't go any further to look at the thermal paste, but I think that's the problem.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Xbox One X is supposed to be whisper quiet. If it isn't, send it for repairs because it's broken.

If you are out of warranty, open the box and replace the thermal paste. There are a lot of video instructions how to do it, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5y0psWNk0

I've had mine since release and I can't tell if the console is even powered on while playing, it's that quiet.