• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic is Microsoft's free implementation of spacial surround whereas Dolby Atmos is a paid solution created by Dolby. Both work in all games when using headphones, but there are a very small number of games which have been designed with Atmos in mind and have been fine tuned specifically for it.

I got an expensive pair of Audio Technica ADG1X's recently as a gift (awesome gift) and originally they felt a little flat to me. I was underwhelmed and feeling upset for my partner who gifted them to me. I think the issue is I'd adjusted to the 'fake' enhanced sound of cheaper headphones with overly strong bass etc. I switched on Dolby Atmos and watched some of the 'test' videos and was absolutely blown away, the purchase was completely redeemed. I've been using them in games over the past week and a half and they're just incredible with Atmos enabled. The clarity is amazing but Atmos enhances the Bass a little to hit that sweetspot for me, whilst also letting me pinpoint exact locations of footsteps in games like CoD with crazy precision.

So for me Atmos was a big improvement and I'll absolutely pay the small license fee when my trial is up. Try both out, see which you prefer / which work best with your pair of headphones! There's a 30 day trial for Atmos but Sonic is free forever.
Agreed, Dolby Atmos is a game changer with headphones, I am not buying the speakers yet because of my small room so headphones are great for me. When I bought my RX800, or any Plantronics gaming headset (I first got the RX400 but took it back because I hate wires and RX800 is the truth), it comes with a free dolby code, I have used it and I am truly impressed with my TV/X1X/RX800 set up.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
With my Astro A50 I felt Dolby Atmos is a bit...hollow? I don't know how to describe it when playing Overwatch.

Am I doing something wrong?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well my Project Scorpio Edition X just arrived from Target. Now I have to spend the rest of the day deciding if I'm going to keep this or just return it.

As an owner of a 1080p TV and with how frankly lackluster MS software output looks for the future I just don' know if this is worth keeping. Really not sure what to do

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well my Project Scorpio Edition X just arrived from Target. Now I have to spend the rest of the day deciding if I'm going to keep this or just return it.

As an owner of a 1080p TV and with how frankly lackluster MS software output looks for the future I just don' know if this is worth keeping. Really not sure what to do
You'll still have a better resolution than 900p and lower on games using dynamic resolution, and great downsampling on patched games, better texture filtering, less jaggies, faster loadings and better framerate.

EDIT : can't you try it and then decide what to do ? I don't know how it works there, but here in France we can use and return such products during the first 14 days if it was ordered online.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll still have a better resolution than 900p and lower on games using dynamic resolution, and great downsampling on patched games, better texture filtering, less jaggies, faster loadings and better framerate.

Well most games I play aren't 900p anyways as PS4 is my main platform.

Idk it's just I already own a Switch and a PS4 so between those 2 I have more than enough good games to play but I bought an X kinda just out of old school Xbox fandom. The 360 is my favorite console ever. But I'm really second guessing the purchase now.

If MS even had 2 heavy hitting exclusive games on the upcoming horizon I wouldn't be second guessing it but as of now I'm not sure if there is a single announced exclusive I'm excited about. PUBG isn't my sort of thing either so I'm bit unsure exactly what I would be using the X for.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I did the first 30 waves of Terminus Firefight in Halo Wars 2 last night. The game looks super clean, though the enhancements weren't immediately apparent (and there are no damn video options in that game), but after I pulled up an old Game DVR from my base Xbox, that's a nice little bump. Ran beautifully even when there were multiple encounters off-screen and on, not that there were problems originally.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

Idk it's just I already own a Switch and a PS4 so between those 2 I have more than enough good games to play but I bought an X kinda just out of old school Xbox fandom. The 360 is my favorite console ever. But I'm really second guessing the purchase now.

If MS even had 2 heavy hitting exclusive games on the upcoming horizon I wouldn't be second guessing it but as of now I'm not sure if there is a single announced exclusive I'm excited about. PUBG isn't my sort of thing either so I'm bit unsure exactly what I would be using the X for.

Judging by what you have said, you definitely should return it. I love the console, but I actually like Microsofts limited stable of exclusives, I think it's a great platform for 3rd party games and backwards compatibility, and I prefer their online infrastructure. However, those things don't seem to matter to you, so why would you keep it? Unless you have a LOT of free time, your hands probably will be full with the Switch and PS4.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by what you have said, you definitely should return it. I love the console, but I actually like Microsofts limited stable of exclusives, I think it's a great platform for 3rd party games and backwards compatibility, and I prefer their online infrastructure. However, those things don't seem to matter to you, so why would you keep it? Unless you have a LOT of free time, your hands probably will be full with the Switch and PS4.

Yeah this is where I am leaning too. Thanks for the honest opinion. I love Halo, Gears, and Forza but was really disappointed with Halo 5 and seeing stuff like Fable slip off to the wayside I just don't know how much I would use it. Playing maybe 1 or 2 games a year on it doesn't seem to justify the price tag (for me of course).

Going to take the rest of the day to think about it before I make my final decision, but I just wish MS software output was at a similar level it was during the 360 days. It if it was I wouldn't even debate holding onto it.

Oct 27, 2017

Good reasons to keep the X:
- Excellent BC of 360 games, some like Halo 3 are now 4k + HDR and look quite amazing
- Patched back catalog of games (Quantum Break, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc, the list is quite extensive)
- All muti-plats run better on it anyway

Of course, I absolutely understand your situation, I tend to buy all new consoles, and often realise one of them was a bit redundant.. I didn't get a Switch this time as I am struggling for time, I even briefly sold the PS4 for a couple of months but caved in and got a Pro just for GT:S (well that and it allows me access to all the exclusives).

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to be back to using my Elite controller. After the PS4 Pro came out I basically moved to playing all multiplats on PS4 and while I do like the DualShock 4 (still my preferred TowerFall controller) I missed using the Elite. I would be all over an Elite-style DS4 if Sony ever put one out.

tl;dr - the X1X is an excellent $500 accessory for my $150 controller lol

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
So I had purchased those Turtle Beach Stealth 600's a couple of days ago. After 2 nights, they are going back. There's a constant hum/electronical tone in the left cup. I went a-Googling and it appears to be a "thing," and that alone means I won't be playing the replacement lottery.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been using Windows Sonic with my Turtle Beach Elite Pro headset, I notice a difference for sure. The sound is louder and just crisper. I think I may go ahead and break down and buy the Dolby Atmos instead for future support.

I also bought the Razer Wildcat controller since amazon has it on sale for $78, regularly $150. My elite broke a long time ago and I just never replaced it and a few friends rave about this controller, though it is wired sadly.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really Xbox One X related, but funny imho.
The new NFL Controller are great marketing.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a bug with recording voice while recording gameplay? I have the checkbox enabled but it's not picking me up.

Heads up on this, Halo 5 doesn't support HDR unfortunately but it still looks gorgeous.

Really? And here I thought HDR was making it look that way. So 4k does seem like a big jump. Some were telling me HDR matters way more.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up my One X from Gamestop after cancelling my Amazon order due to delivery delay. What an awful experience it was transferring data from my OG Xbox One. First, the OG system couldn't be recognized so I had to re-initialize it while preserving apps and data, and then during the transfer process the system shut down and I couldn't get the transfer to resume where it left off. Eventually I threw my hands in the air and downloaded everything from Xbox Live. Definitely use an external hard drive if possible.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody by chance using their Xbox One X on a Samsung C27HG70 monitor? It's 1440p, freesync 2 compatible, and has HDR. I'm really curious how the One X looks on it.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
'Hard' reset my device by unplugging. Some games are still starting up the dropping to the dashboard after about 5 seconds. Anyone have this issue then we're able to fix it? Also, in the enhanced thread there was a link to a Reddit thread with game sizes. I looked at Halo 5 and my install is less than what is listed in the thread. Seems like my console is not downloading the 4k stuff and that may be why it's not loading. Dunno

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
So I had purchased those Turtle Beach Stealth 600's a couple of days ago. After 2 nights, they are going back. There's a constant hum/electronical tone in the left cup. I went a-Googling and it appears to be a "thing," and that alone means I won't be playing the replacement lottery.

damn, I just bought one today. Tried a 5 minutes and didn't hear anything strange. Did you hear it from the get go or after a few hours using it ?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Did you update the firmware?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
'Hard' reset my device by unplugging. Some games are still starting up the dropping to the dashboard after about 5 seconds. Anyone have this issue then we're able to fix it? Also, in the enhanced thread there was a link to a Reddit thread with game sizes. I looked at Halo 5 and my install is less than what is listed in the thread. Seems like my console is not downloading the 4k stuff and that may be why it's not loading. Dunno

Before unplugging your device did you power it off by holding the power button for roughly 30 seconds? That's what I did to fix my issues. No problems since.

To clarify on what my issues were: games crashing/freezing occasionally, Xbox restarting when launching a game, periodic black screens, sluggish UI and inconsistent download speeds.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's sad to hear. Thought they fixed it for good.

Last thing you might wanna try: disable 5hz wifi or change the channel in your router. These headsets connect via a 5ghz channel so worth a try.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, Dolby Atmos is a game changer with headphones, I am not buying the speakers yet because of my small room so headphones are great for me. When I bought my RX800, or any Plantronics gaming headset (I first got the RX400 but took it back because I hate wires and RX800 is the truth), it comes with a free dolby code, I have used it and I am truly impressed with my TV/X1X/RX800 set up.

I would love to know why the RIG 800LX are so expensive in the UK. $149 turns into £183 on Amazon.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad to hear. Thought they fixed it for good.

Last thing you might wanna try: disable 5hz wifi or change the channel in your router. These headsets connect via a 5ghz channel so worth a try.

Disabling the 5 gig band would impact a few more of my devices than it's likely worth, tbh. I'll stick to patiently waiting for the Lucidsounds.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just wanted to ask anyone am I remembering things incorrectly when I thought that Gone Home Console Edition has some frame rate issues on one? Just booted it on X and it's like 60fps solid.
Then again it may just be remembering my original playthrough of the PC version.

Also have to say I agree with John about Homefront, game is a crazy jump in quality from what it was on One visually.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game running HDR? Then your TV will switch from HDR to SDR mode, wich means a black screen for a second
My TV does this and a pop-up in the corner stating SDR or HDR mode

That's the TV switching from HDR to SDR when switching from the game to the dashboard, not the HDMI cable.

Yes my games were running HDR. Thing is, these black flickers would persist even after switching back from the game to the dashboard and would flicker constantly. As if the TV never got the signal to stop trying to switch back to standard mode. The only way to get out of it was to turn off the console. I mean, it must be a cable issue right?

FA!S

Nov 12, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm still on the fence, I have an OG Xbox One, I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV. But I don't know if they bump from Pro to X is going to justify €500.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Before unplugging your device did you power it off by holding the power button for roughly 30 seconds? That's what I did to fix my issues. No problems since.

To clarify on what my issues were: games crashing/freezing occasionally, Xbox restarting when launching a game, periodic black screens, sluggish UI and inconsistent download speeds.

I did not do the power button thing, but I don't see why that would matter. I will try that though. I am not experiencing any of the issues you are talking about. I'm just running into issues launching some games where it starts up then about 5 seconds into loading it drops me into the dashboard. I'm talking about loading the game so the title screen then it stops and not 5 seconds into the playing the game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
god FFXV have legit near 0 frame pacing in the high quality mode is so goooooooood.......game is so clear and looks amazing.

I know most around here probably hate FFXV, but I love all the content updates, the multiplayer expansion and the story DLC.....its honestly been an amazing season pass compared to what other companies have churned out. The game has constantly been keeping me coming back and playing it.

I just want them to fix the damn summons.......hoping they do something with DLC in the future

Last edited:

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017

Help me understand. You buy the headphone which support Atmos but you cannot use Atmos until you purchase a license? How do you apply the license? Does it follow the headphones or do you have to purchase a license per device you want to listen to?

edit: Are these any good? "LucidSound LS35X"

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I did not do the power button thing, but I don't see why that would matter. I will try that though. I am not experiencing any of the issues you are talking about. I'm just running into issues launching some games where it starts up then about 5 seconds into loading it drops me into the dashboard. I'm talking about loading the game so the title screen then it stops and not 5 seconds into the playing the game.

I've always been asked to do that when I had random issues on Xbox One in the past:

Physically power cycle the console
  1. Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will turn off.
d83b708b-3e55-4468-af83-cdf0d3171de7.png

1. Turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on your controller.
    Note If you don't see the green boot-up animation when the console restarts, repeat these steps. Make sure that you hold the power button until the console completely shuts down.
Important If your console is in Instant-On power mode, the above steps will shut the console completely off. Instant-On mode, or the ability to turn on your console by saying "Xbox on," won't be enabled until you restart the console.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/power-cycle-console

Worth a shot. Good luck.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Gift it to me as an early Xmas gift! Why didn't you order one if you weren't interested? It seems like it' going to be the place to play multiplatform games but as you mentioned, regarding exclusives there aren't many unknown as of yet.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Really? And here I thought HDR was making it look that way. So 4k does seem like a big jump. Some were telling me HDR matters way more.

The higher resolution seems to be making the bloom more pronounced, maybe that is what you're seeing?

Higher resolutions can make a huge difference, as we see with Halo 5, but I agree that HDR can make an even bigger impact if implemented properly.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on the fence, I have an OG Xbox One, I have a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV. But I don't know if they bump from Pro to X is going to justify €500.

no, the bump from Pro to X isn't going to justify it i don't think.

you have a console that will do a decent job at third parties, and let's be honest outside of one or two franchises there's not much to play on Xbox exclusively [I bought my machine pretty much just for high res Halo].

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I m

Do you only play first party games? Because every third party game is going to be better on the X, that alone should be reason enough to keep it. I only have a 1080p tv too and the difference over the base Xbox is very, very noticeable.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Help me understand. You buy the headphone which support Atmos but you cannot use Atmos until you purchase a license? How do you apply the license? Does it follow the headphones or do you have to purchase a license per device you want to listen to?

edit: Are these any good? "LucidSound LS35X"

My understanding is Dolby Atmos works on pretty much any headphone (almost at least). I believe you just have to pay to get a headphone license, one time fee.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow Final Fantasy XV is sooo good on the X, looks incredible and no frame pace issues or anything, super impressed by it tbh! I waited to play this until the X launch, it took a while until I understood the fighting but it's great now that I'm getting the hang of it. Played it with japanese voices at first but with the way the characters talk with each other I thought I missed a lot of the smaller nuances by only understanding the texts. I'm only a few hours in but I'm really loving it so far!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Who cares about the Microsoft output? The 50 other games you play in that year, the multi platform titles, will be significantly better on the X as on the Pro, that matters, or at least should.
If you have a PS4, there is no reason to still play multi platform titles on it. Your thought should rather be if you keep your PS4 for first party titles or not, not the other way around.