• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just tried the Forza 7 demo (Dubai) - holy shit! It looks insane! My jaw hasn't dropped like this in years.

The IQ and detail is on another level, and on my OLED it's just unbelievable. I mean, I'm saying this coming from GT Sport (Pro), which might have the upper hand in the lighting department, which helps in YouTube comparisons, but seriously when you actually see F7 on your own TV at native 4K and still at a locked 60fps it's on another level entirely. It's like looking through a window it's so crisp, silky smooth. In particular, when you go through the tunnel on the Dubai track and the HDR really gets a chance to show off, wow.

I think I'm going to have to pick up the full game! I haven't been this pleased with a console purchase in years.

And I was playing Doritos Crash Course and Doom XBLA earlier too, like it's so good to be able to play my old XBLA games again. Yes yes yes!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Had mine since launch, managed to get some decent time on it last night.

Assassins Creed Origins looks sharper but its a shame they didn't improve the textures, it looks sharper and loads a little bit faster is all I can say really.

Gears 4 looked ok, nothing mind blowing. I only played one of the very early levels though so maybe it gets better later on.

I do love how quiet the console is though, its so much quieter than my Pro its unreal.

Overall my opinion is that its not worth the £250 jump from the S here in the UK.

Really? ACO and Gears 4 are amazing in my view. They both look beautiful to me.

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyone here that has a problem with your X that it signs you out on a regular basis? I had this problem from the start and solved it by making a hard reset of the console and restart my router. But this morning it happened again. Yhis time I wiped my network settings and did the all over again and it seems to work fine now.

Anyone else had to deal with this?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've just tried the Forza 7 demo (Dubai) - holy shit! It looks insane! My jaw hasn't dropped like this in years.

The IQ and detail is on another level, and on my OLED it's just unbelievable. I mean, I'm saying this coming from GT Sport (Pro), which might have the upper hand in the lighting department, which helps in YouTube comparisons, but seriously when you actually see F7 on your own TV at native 4K and still at a locked 60fps it's on another level entirely. It's like looking through a window it's so crisp, silky smooth. In particular, when you go through the tunnel on the Dubai track and the HDR really gets a chance to show off, wow.

I think I'm going to have to pick up the full game! I haven't been this pleased with a console purchase in years.

And I was playing Doritos Crash Course and Doom XBLA earlier too, like it's so good to be able to play my old XBLA games again. Yes yes yes!

I fired up the demo to try out the rain levels. Damn that lightning is amazing. I have a 4k TV but no HDR, so I am sure I am missing something.

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyone here that has a problem with your X that it signs you out on a regular basis? I had this problem from the start and solved it by making a hard reset of the console and restart my router. But this morning it happened again. Yhis time I wiped my network settings and did the all over again and it seems to work fine now.

Not so much that I get signed out, but often when I'm starting games now I get asked to pick which account to sign in with.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I would say if you are happy with the Pro the difference in most games is not worth it. I am happy with how quiet it is compared to my very loud Pro, as silly as it sounds that is the biggest upgrade for me.

I bought the X for the same reason I bought the Pro, I want the best version of the games I play. Depending on the game the jump is either every bit that impressive or, at worst, still better than the Pro. If that's important to you it's totally worth the price, if not then you know the answer.

Thank for the reply. My Pro is quiet, so for me it is no problem, but maybe i am used to noise because i have kids :) And if the difference is there but not that significant, then i will wait.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Coming from a Ps4Pro, I was not ready for how small this unit is. Completely impressive. Now if only my games would download faster so I could actually at something...

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That was happening to me on my S for a period of time. It stopped after a while so i just tossed it up as something acting up on the system as its in the alpha ring for insiders. Because of that actually ill be keep my S as the "insider" console and my X updated to the more public releases. unless that stops me from being able to play sea of thieves but i have yet to test that out

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
That was happening to me on my S for a period of time. It stopped after a while so i just tossed it up as something acting up on the system as its in the alpha ring for insiders. Because of that actually ill be keep my S as the "insider" console and my X updated to the more public releases. unless that stops me from being able to play sea of thieves but i have yet to test that out
I'm no an insider though. I suspect it might have something to do with how I transfered my profile settings via an external HDD. Maybe that screwed up mu settings with the router. I just have to see if the problöem went away when I re-did the settings manually.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no an insider though. I suspect it might have something to do with how I transfered my profile settings via an external HDD. Maybe that screwed up mu settings with the router. I just have to see if the problöem went away when I re-did the settings manually.
i also did that with my external HDD and have had no issues...I know it may seem a bit extreme but have you tried removing your account from the xbox and then putting it back? not just the settings.
Could maybe also be an older Xbox One console that's connected to the internet? maybe it pings the servers to see if any new updates have gone up and that causes it to sign you out or ask what account you want to play as (i honestly dont know, im just trying to think of reasons why that happens.)

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Is anyone else having issues with the signal occurs only turning to Gray snow on the screen when switching out of games to the dash or closing games?

Seems to be happening more and more I have to switch inputs to get it to go back

The other thing I'm noticing if it doesn't go to snow about half the time it comes to the dash with very dark tones if I came from an HDR game.

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I transferred mine too with an external.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017

Ive had this a few times on my old XB1. I think this maybe me down to me linking my profile to the the elite controller. If my controller lost the connection it would sign me out. Quite annoying. Not sure how to fix it other than maybe remove account from that specific controller.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ive had this a few times on my old XB1. I think this maybe me down to me linking my profile to the the elite controller. If my controller lost the connection it would sign me out. Quite annoying. Not sure how to fix it other than maybe remove account from that specific controller.

My profile is linked to my elite. Last night I needed to change batteries....so controller went off. It didn't log me out.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the X today and holy fuck at Halo 5 and Gears 3. Totally different games now.

Are the 360 Enchancements done via firmware or patch?

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to think I just don't "get" HDR. I picked up the TCL P605 this summer as my first 4K HDR10 set. I first noticed with Everybody's Golf on the PS4 Pro that when it switches to HDR, I can see a bit more detail but the color tone looks "washed out" when I feel like it should look more vivid. I noticed the same thing when I set up my One X and booted up Forza Horizon 3. I am struggling to calibrate it because the TV only stays in HDR mode when HDR content is on screen, and I feel like I have an incorrect idea of what HDR should look like. I just feel... underwhelmed.

The closest thing I can find is at about 3:10 in this youtube video.

IF you have gears 4 you can split the screen in half showing hdr on and hdr off. The very first mission shows it off well because there is a lots of fires. Another option is to download the insects demo. This is a great tool that show the difference.

In terms of your tv, u need to make sure tour backlight is a high setting and colour tones are warm etc. When i had my pro, i wasnt convinced by hdr at all. Now i have the x, the gears4 tool and insects demo had converted me. Plus forza 7 looks incredible.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm loving this console so far. It's running unpatched games which chugged a bit on XB1S much smoother (e.g Agents of Mayhem and Elex are substantially better). But enhanced games just look awesome. Battlefront 2 is almost some generational leap level of improvement, it looks incredible. CoD WW2 runs rock solid and looks awesome. Not only that but it's really quiet too, even under load the fan is barely audible compared to my jet engine PS4 and PS4 Pro. I was feeling like the S was starting to really be pushed to its limits but this thing feels like a beast.

Only issue I have had is with my downloads - they keep stopping or going slow. I didn't have this on my S but when I go to My Games & Apps it seems the downloads have stopped. I spent 2 hours last night getting Battlefront 2 to about 20%. I turned off the system to have some food and watch TV for just under an hour, came back, and the download was completed. Anyone else having similar?

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am on the fence of buying one. But i have a PS4 Pro and my question is, is the jump that impressive or are some people just overreacting. Is it worth spending €500 in comparison to the difference over the Pro.
I've got a Pro but got my X on Tuesday - first time I've had an Xbox since 360. Look at my post history, I love the X and it feels like a huge leap to me. Honestly, seeing games (like Forza 7) at native 4K is on another level. Granted I have a 4K OLED, but I really can't overstate what a pleasure it is to see such super-clean IQ, and so much detail. Checkerboard looks nice, but the higher resolution adds to much depth and 'wow' to the image it's amazing. And even games like Gears 3 and Ninja Gaiden look unbelievable on the thing with superb IQ, and they look like new games. And it's so quiet - which makes it so much more enjoyable to play on compared to my Pro. I'm not sure if you had a 360 last gen, but being able to play your old XBLA and digital purchase should not be underestimated either. They all look a lot cleaner than they did on the 360 too with nice upscaling - even more amazing is my old saves still being there in the cloud.

Oh, and I forgot how much I missed the 360 controller. I'd got used to the DS4, but after a couple of days with the XBO controller, it's so much more comfortable.

As a hardware experience, it's leagues ahead of the Pro in every way that I can think. Only thing I would say is that the dashboard isn't very intuitive initially and quite a shock coming from PS4, but I'm getting used to it and there's certainly more of an online community feel in the way that it's designed, with online being a little more integrated in to the overall experience.

Last edited:

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Only issue I have had is with my downloads - they keep stopping or going slow. I didn't have this on my S but when I go to My Games & Apps it seems the downloads have stopped. I spent 2 hours last night getting Battlefront 2 to about 20%. I turned off the system to have some food and watch TV for just under an hour, came back, and the download was completed. Anyone else having similar?

My downloads tend to slow down too, it took about 7 hours altogether to download Forza 7 as the download kept slowing to a crawl.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I'm loving this console so far. It's running unpatched games which chugged a bit on XB1S much smoother (e.g Agents of Mayhem and Elex are substantially better). But enhanced games just look awesome. Battlefront 2 is almost some generational leap level of improvement, it looks incredible. CoD WW2 runs rock solid and looks awesome. Not only that but it's really quiet too, even under load the fan is barely audible compared to my jet engine PS4 and PS4 Pro. I was feeling like the S was starting to really be pushed to its limits but this thing feels like a beast.

I haven't noticed it stopping the downloads but I do have 150 megabit download internet and if I have a game running in background it crawls it about 15 to 25 if I actually quit the game from the home screen so no game is running it immediately bounces up to 150.

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
i also did that with my external HDD and have had no issues...I know it may seem a bit extreme but have you tried removing your account from the xbox and then putting it back? not just the settings.
Could maybe also be an older Xbox One console that's connected to the internet? maybe it pings the servers to see if any new updates have gone up and that causes it to sign you out or ask what account you want to play as (i honestly dont know, im just trying to think of reasons why that happens.)
If it starts again I will try that :)

No, my older Xbox is unplugged at the moment so it should not be possible.

I havn't linked my profile with a controller.

TechMaster

Oct 28, 2017

What OLED do you have?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
TV get, I settled for the MU7000, don't have the room for a nice OLED so I choose the best I can get for mixed usage. The Sony IPS panels are just a no-go for me.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I haven't noticed it stopping the downloads but I do have 150 megabit download internet and if I have a game running in background it crawls it about 15 to 25 if I actually quit the game from the home screen so no game is running it immediately bounces up to 150.
Maybe this is it as I was playing games at all times. I had no issues on my S downloading whilst playing a game as far as I'm aware, at least I didn't notice it? I have 250 down but my S used to hit around 180-200 regularly. Last night my X kept sitting at 15-25 like you say, but must have shot up when it was in sleep.

Same here, I sent you a PM as I have an off topic question

I have the B6, feel free to ask any questions, if I can help I'll try!

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017
I was having the same issue with the HDR looking 'washed out', also on an LG OLED here. I think mine is a 2015 model, so maybe the B6?? Anywho I figure it probably has something to do with calibration and fine-tuning, but for now I've just turned HDR off and have it set to 4k but SDR. Games still looking phenomenal thanks to how awesome an OLED makes things look, but I would certainly appreciate any tips/advice on tweaking my OLED in order to make the HDR look proper and not so washed-out.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire

I noticed when doing a system transfer that once I went into a game, the system loaded games slow (Zoo Tycoon took like 5 minutes to load a save, but it was never really a benchmark of coding anyway...), but also that the actual transfer speed dropped from 210meg/sec to 17meg/sec.

So its possible that the system doesn't like you transferring at big speeds when you are playing? I dunno?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I was having the same issue with the HDR looking 'washed out', also on an LG OLED here. I think mine is a 2015 model, so maybe the B6?? Anywho I figure it probably has something to do with calibration and fine-tuning, but for now I've just turned HDR off and have it set to 4k but SDR. Games still looking phenomenal thanks to how awesome an OLED makes things look, but I would certainly appreciate any tips/advice on tweaking my OLED in order to make the HDR look proper and not so washed-out.
2016 is the B6, not familiar with the 2015 model.

Is it all definitely set up correctly to display HDR - e.g all ticks in the Xbox Display settings check screen?

From there at least with the B6 I personally recommend using HDR Game Mode then turning up Dynamic Contrast to Medium at least. HDR Game is simply too dim without Dynamic Contrast enabled. There may be a marginal loss in detail but imo the overall image quality far makes up for it. Once you're in a HDR input you can adjust HDR settings, but I don't believe you can tweak them until you're actually in HDR mode.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the 4k patch downloads at all, I think my X is messed up or something. Game websites are reporting that rise of tomb raider is at 50 gbs while my tomb raider is at 30gb or so. I don't think my X is automatically downloading the 4k assets. I launch my game fine and it says in the Xbox site it won't launch unless you download.

You're not alone, I also have a 30GB DL, as doesTarkus.

Do you guys have the regular edition or the one that has the DLC? I have the regular, maybe the lack of DLC is what is causing the size difference. But 20 GB difference??

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My X isn't dead silent and I can hear some "whirring." Is the system defective in some way?

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I'm on a 1080p set, super happy with my decision to jump on board.

Not interested in 4k or HDR at all, just interested in my Xbox games running at a minimum of 1080p with none of the fucking shittiness we've been putting up with so far this generation.

If it's going to a a burden financially though, I dunno man - this is all easily ignorable spending for me, so easy for me to jump in.

I did not. I only deactivated the old one after my new one was in.

I'd say no. It's not worth it. If you have an existing xbox one at 1080p, you won't feel a difference at all. The $100 discount seems .. low? I traded mine at EBGames (here in Canada) and got $200 off the price of the One X, so even there it feels like you're getting the short end of the stick.

At best for you, a One S would be a worthwhile upgrade, but even that is negligible. You're not utilizing 4K, you're not going to see much benefit at all, and being strapped for cash, its def a need vs want right now. I'd hold out until you're in a better financial position, or are in a spot to utilize the extra power of the console.

I would say dont bother. The upgrade isnt huge without 4k. It is definitely better than anything else console wise, but imo without the 4k its not worth the money for the upgrade you get. Dont forget its new, everyone is excited and sometimes this means things get magnified. It was the same when the PRO released. My advice would be wait it out until it drops in price at least.

If you don't have a 4K TV and this would gobble up all your budget for other games, I say wait for now. I sold my Xbox One S to get the X and while I have a 4K TV, the difference doesn't seem THAT massive to me. I also decided to sell some retro gaming stuff that I honestly liked owning more than playing, and had I not done that and sold my S, I don't think I could have felt as good about owning the X. $500 is no small amount of money, IMO and its a very tough argument when you already own an Xbox One. While your older games will run better on it, I still don't think the difference is that big.

For example, Digital Foundry just did a video on Diablo 3 and they compared the X version to the regular Xbox One launch version. The difference just doesn't seem that big to me. Yes, it stays locked at 60 while the original hardware dips to 55 at times, but dude its 5 frames. Its really cool to see that on one of their videos, but I own Diablo 3 on the PS4 and I'm not selling that copy and buying it for the X just to get a few minor upgrades and 5 extra frames when shit gets wild on screen.

New gadget lust is powerful, but be honest with yourself about it and I think you'll want more games over a stronger box that will get replaced with a newer, stronger box in another couple of years.

*edit*

Unless you're like me and you decide to sell something else to help pay for it. Then by all means. ;)

Thanks guys, really !

I'll wait a few weeks in order to cool down my excitement :) if I can sell enough stuff (I'm getting rid of my hundreds of Dvds, Xbox and Play games) I might jump in. I do not care about a few fps but the resolution... it's really hurting me on OG Xbox. Actually I'm not playing games knowing they are enhanced on X and I do not intend to buy new games knowing that I'll have just a taste on OG. I'm already holding on buying games since Scorpio Reveal (well except for Andromeda because Mass Effect and the first Evil Within because no way it's gonna get enhanced) Enjoy your purchase ;)

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Today I noticed audio crackling while using a headset/headphones especially when playing BC-titles (Mirrors Edge, Deus Ex HR) but also in some Xbox One games and in the menus. Tried out different settings but nothing worked. Those noises can be pretty annoying.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone with Scorpio using the stand or not? I have mine set up but I will have to put it somewhere to stop the cat nudging it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've got a Pro but got my X on Tuesday - first time I've had an Xbox since 360. Look at my post history, I love the X and it feels like a huge leap to me. Honestly, seeing games (like Forza 7) at native 4K is on another level. Granted I have a 4K OLED, but I really can't overstate what a pleasure it is to see such super-clean IQ, and so much detail. Checkerboard looks nice, but the higher resolution adds to much depth and 'wow' to the image it's amazing. And even games like Gears 3 and Ninja Gaiden look unbelievable on the thing with superb IQ, and they look like new games. And it's so quiet - which makes it so much more enjoyable to play on compared to my Pro. I'm not sure if you had a 360 last gen, but being able to play your old XBLA and digital purchase should not be underestimated either. They all look a lot cleaner than they did on the 360 too with nice upscaling - even more amazing is my old saves still being there in the cloud.

Oh, and I forgot how much I missed the 360 controller. I'd got used to the DS4, but after a couple of days with the XBO controller, it's so much more comfortable.

As a hardware experience, it's leagues ahead of the Pro in every way that I can think. Only thing I would say is that the dashboard isn't very intuitive initially and quite a shock coming from PS4, but I'm getting used to it and there's certainly more of an online community feel in the way that it's designed, with online being a little more integrated in to the overall experience.

Some great thoughts Monty, I will admit to being down on MS all generation but the feedback in this thread and my underlying desire for new shiny consoles has me seriously tempted, especially given the BC catalogue and the design lab, good god some controllers look gorgeous. So tempted in fact I booted up my ageing Sunset overdrive Xbone just now for reasons other than skyping my parents, and have Beyond good an evil downloading now.

Which leads me to a couple of quick questions for Xbox Era, since I can't find a single point elsewhere and this OT is moving pretty quick.
  • Why am I finding it so hard to find a cheap copy of Forza Horizon 3? It still seems full price everywhere (especially digital EU), anyone have any suggestions. Likewise Gold.
  • I presume logging on to notifications of "randomname12345 is following you" is some kind of point selling nonsense and is best to report/block the users (they all have 0 gamerscore)
Cheers all!