• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
How are everyone's console setup? I'm too paranoid to stand it vertically because I'm afraid of accidentally tipping it and putting a hole in my floor.

I've got it horizontally on my display case, but it doesn't have a window/door. It's enclosed from the back and side. The sides of the shelf isn't warm at all, but the back of it is pretty hot. I've been reading about people getting having bricked consoles and I'm thinking I might move it out in the open where my PS4 Pro is.

Insanexer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of today has been spent updating games, playing them for 1/2 hour, and then updating the next one haha! My external on the S was full, so I wasn't able to get everything updated ahead of time.

I started with the Insects demo. Super cool. Will be a neat showcase when I have people over. Forza 7 is mind-numbingly awesome, so crisp and clear. Super Lucky's Tale is again so crisp and clear, and so colorful (I beat the first level and had a good time, this will be a lot of fun). Sonic Forces is also super crisp and clear, I really don't know how else to be describing these games other than that! Just vibrant! Finished the first two stages of Sonic and after all the hubbub I had a good time and the graphics are outstanding. Tried out Halo 5 for a few minutes, looks better than I ever remember it looking. Crisp and clear haha!

I moved on to Assassin's Creed Origins, which I was saving until the X came out. I have no idea what is going on (only played for 1/2 hour), but the graphics were sweet! Booted up Killer Instinct and that is a niiiice looking game too! Noticed the Definitive Edition is on sale for $20 so I picked that up to have everything.

Still have yet to try Gears 4, Dead Rising 4, Quantum Break, and Recore (ummm I think the patch for this is not out yet?). But over the course of the night I will get to everything!

Now I'm waiting on my disc copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider to install, and the demo of The Surge (I have heard good things about this!). It's on sale too so I might get it if I like it.

So impressed with everything. I mean it helps that I have a huge backlog of games built up, and it is just great that so many have been updated.
Where do I get this insects demo at?

KeyzerSoze

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I just picked my jaw up off the floor for the first time in 10hrs. The games look outstanding, ESO in particular was staggering to me. Not a jaggy in sight!! I am so glad that they made digitally purchased movies from the MS Movie store convert to 4K if an upgrade exists for a movie that you own. Mad Max and Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 are awe inspiring.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I bit into the hype. The gears 3 example really put me over the edge. Can't believe how great it looks on the x. Ordered the Scorpio version on amazon cuz... why not!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ya'll are making this wait even harder. Was Gamestop doing any trade in promotions for the S towards the X at all?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how quiet this console is.

It's in the middle of applying the update patch and I can't hear any fans or any HDD activity. Yet it's at 90% installed already.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon.com has scorpio editions available

FYI
Yeah I know. Unfortunately, importing is a real pain in the ass in my country, like, a seriously shitty experience. Plus I really want an official local warranty from MS, and they are supposed to launch the X here (Argentina) mid December, regular version only. Still absolutely excited!!! Even without the Scorpio edition ;)

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ya'll are making this wait even harder. Was Gamestop doing any trade in promotions for the S towards the X at all?

they sent an email to customers who preordered it

● Get $200 guaranteed for Switch or PS4 Pro toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X
● Get $150 guaranteed for Xbox One S, PS4 Original or Slim toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X
● Get $100 guaranteed for Original Xbox One toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X

sith ewok

Oct 31, 2017
I'm at GameStop, I can swear I've seen it elsewhere though.
Thanks for letting me know.

I finally picked up my scorpio preorder and was able to get the last elite controller with the double deal (preorder discount plus controller trade in bonus). Waiting for my daughter to finish watching a movie so I can set it up. It's moments like that that test your patience as a parent. lol. The Scorpio system is so pretty. Holy cow.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly some of these BC comparisons between Xbox One S and Xbox One X are amazing. The visual upgrade is very clear even in small YouTube videos.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
they sent an email to customers who preordered it

● Get $200 guaranteed for Switch or PS4 Pro toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X
● Get $150 guaranteed for Xbox One S, PS4 Original or Slim toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X
● Get $100 guaranteed for Original Xbox One toward the purchase
of a new Xbox One X

Does anyone know if this is still going? I can't resist it I have to have one of these things and wanna trade my S.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys return it?

I had the same issue. Amazon delivery. Box was too big. A single piece of barely crumpled paper for padding inside. Corners all crunched from the stop and go of the delivery truck. If I could leave a comment about it with Amazon without frustration I would. But in the end, it's just a box. I cracked it open and my console is running great. Won't even think about it again.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I never notice sweat on the players in Madden before guys go pop this in it's incredible

I've never seen anything like this before

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if this is still going? I can't resist it I have to have one of these things and wanna trade my S.

you had to have preordered it.....I think

because they gave me a code to use

anyone who wants the code from me can have it....I think it will work

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Fired up some Gears of War 4 tonight, looks great. TBH, I don't have a great mental frame of reference for how it looked on my OG XB1, but it does look really nice on the X.

The only issue I'm having is overscan. When I was playing GOW4, I noticed that the picture was being cut off when the leftmost part (the icon) of an objective was partly obscured. Does the game (or system) have any setting to fix this? I don't recall having the problem with the regular XB1.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
That isn't the correct stand; this one is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KXL7N5/?tag=era0f0-20

Can anyone with the Scorpio Edition tell me whether the included vertical stand seems to allow any airflow through that side of the console? The reason I ask is because the aforementioned stand that I ordered for the regular edition hasn't shipped yet, and I still kind of want to stand it up on its side to play it in the meantime. I'm curious as to whether just standing the console on its side blocks airflow anymore than the vertical stand in general would.

Darklor01

Nov 2, 2017
I️ can't get game mode and hdr on at the same time. It won't let me ‍♂️

You can not turn on HDR+ in game mode, but HDR 10 runs in game mode. You do need brightness at full, but you can choose other options as you wish. HDR+ not the same thing as HDR. You can have HDR without HDR+.

HDR+ can be turned on outside of game mode.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played Assassin's Creed on it so far. Looks really sharp, but the frame rate seems hitchy. I needed a showcase for the new system, but I kind of wish I had gotten it for my PC for the 60 fps. A patch for a 1080p/60fps mode probably isn't in the cards, is it?

I also tossed in the UHD disc of Wonder Woman, but it doesn't strike me as significantly better looking than a normal Blu-ray. Probably not the best example, but it and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are the only UHD disc I own.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a few people in this thread with consoles that suddenly wont turn on. Has anyone managed to get there console to turn on again?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a weird little issue. Played Forza 7 for about an hour (which DAMN, looks so good, I specifically only played like 30 minutes at launch day waiting for the X, and glad I did) and it is the first game I have gotten to check out. I spent the entire afternoon installing new games and updating those games and existing ones.

Anyway, wanted to check some COD out, Quit Forza 7, and all I had was a gray screen. I could HEAR that I was moving around on the dash, but I could not see anything. No biggie I thought, I will switch inputs on my receiver and go back, that will kick it in. No dice. Same gray screen but I could still hear everything.

Well I used my noggin and since I have Kinect hooked up already I said "Cortana Open Call of Duty," and sure enough that worked. COD launched.

That seems to have kicked everything into working again, but I got a tad bit freaked out after reading about the very small handful of users whose X died on them after a few hours of use.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just unboxed mine. Really impressive console. So small and dense.

Unfortunately my controller is pretty
scuffed on one side. Probably won't bother trying to replace it or anything, but a bit bummed :/

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Wow first game I try (COD WW2) and it looks so sharp and amazing on my C7. Gonna spend all night testing all enhanced games lol.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Saw like 10 or so people picking up their X tonight when I was returning a game to Best Buy. Kinda crazy to see 'em selling like that even at night.

Darklor01

Nov 2, 2017
I've only played Assassin's Creed on it so far. Looks really sharp, but the frame rate seems hitchy. I needed a showcase for the new system, but I kind of wish I had gotten it for my PC for the 60 fps. A patch for a 1080p/60fps mode probably isn't in the cards, is it?

I also tossed in the UHD disc of Wonder Woman, but it doesn't strike me as significantly better looking than a normal Blu-ray. Probably not the best example, but it and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are the only UHD disc I own.

Most mid-range to high end TVs do a really good job of upscaling Blu Ray to 4K. It can look that way. They do that on their own.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't the correct stand; this one is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KXL7N5/?tag=era0f0-20

Can anyone with the Scorpio Edition tell me whether the included vertical stand seems to allow any airflow through that side of the console? The reason I ask is because the aforementioned stand that I ordered for the regular edition hasn't shipped yet, and I still kind of want to stand it up on its side to play it in the meantime. I'm curious as to whether just standing the console on its side blocks airflow anymore than the vertical stand in general would.

Yeah, if you don't use a stand it will definitely be more constricting than with. Just how significant that proves I have no idea. The stand does have a section that sticks up that partially blocks the fan area, but it's pretty small compared to the total area of the grating.

Here's an example -- the marked red area being where the fan grating would be if it was sitting on the uprised section:

m99nU0f.jpg

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I can't hear the damn thing for the most part.

So far I've played

Halo 5: it looks absolutely amazing. This is the way the game was suppose to be. It's looks stunning at times.

Assasins Creed Origins: I skipped the PC version for this one. No regrets whatsoever. I am surprised by how good this looks for its size. Bravo to Ubi Soft.

Diablo 3: Game just looks super sharp, nothing special IMO.

Forza 7: Looks just as good as my PC with a 1080Ti.

Gears 3: I can't believe that they were able to go back and make this look so good. Very impressive work here.

Overall, worth every penny. My gaming PC has been moved back into my office. The console has impressed me way more than I thought it would. It's so freaking quiet.

Good job MS. Now get those exclusives out to take advantage of this thing.

Edit:

Playing on a 4K LG B6 OLED.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm so glad this is apparently selling well. Here's hoping this ignites the Xbox brand again. I do have a PS4 Pro and a Switch too, so in the end I'm glad this year has been awesome for console gaming in general.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
My internet is so dam slow :/. This update is taking forever :(. Wish we could have preloaded it to the external like all the games lol.