• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Fed up of reading about how the PS4 Pro is the better choice on NeoGaf... Good lord... Yes, Sony has games out now. Yes, they have games coming soon... But games don't exactly take 13 days to make. I'm sure MS has some things up their sleeve.

Anyway...

Seriously impressed if all the rumblings about noise levels are true. It was the one last thing I was worried about. Great stuff. Bit confused as to why most of my X updates haven't even started showing yet... I want them downloaded and done ready for transfer on Tuesday.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah! Microsoft is now processing my payment. Soon the X will grace my living room.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Oh another quick question. HDR is kinda hard for most people to tell. I've noticed a split HDR tool being shown in several videos... Is this an xbox level thing by any chance? Would seriously help the masses see for themselves what HDR is doing.

kingocfs

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Looking forward to grabbing this.

These last two pages are painful, though. Even if the X didn't have the hottest game on the planet coming to it in Dec, I'd still buy it since it's the absolute best place to play multiplats going forward. You know, most games.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fed up of reading about how the PS4 Pro is the better choice on NeoGaf... Good lord... Yes, Sony has games out now. Yes, they have games coming soon... But games don't exactly take 13 days to make. I'm sure MS has some things up their sleeve.

Anyway...

Seriously impressed if all the rumblings about noise levels are true. It was the one last thing I was worried about. Great stuff. Bit confused as to why most of my X updates haven't even started showing yet... I want them downloaded and done ready for transfer on Tuesday.

To be fair, you are excusing MS for their lack of first party games, because games take long to make? That's not a great argument.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anyway...

Not surprised that's what GAF thinks. I do feel like we achieved a good balance of people here. It doesn't feel like you are suffocating.

Zip Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Bit confused as to why most of my X updates haven't even started showing yet... I want them downloaded and done ready for transfer on Tuesday.

I ended up having to launch some of the games for them to grab the update (Halo 5) as they wouldnt show for me in the updates tab of the OS.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017

Anyway...

Sorry, but MS doesn't really have anything to offer over the PS4 Pro, yes it is the most powerful home console, there's no question about that, but it's going to be lacking in 1st party games that will ultimately decide it's fate (for reasons best known to themselves MS has all but bailed on 1st party development that aren't Halo, Forza or Gears) But that's not the reason I'm getting my XB1X. I want the best 3rd party offerings, and the BC is not something to be scoffed at either (something I think Sony will address with the PS5). The way it's going to work for me anyway is the XB1X for 3rd party stuff (and excellent BC), and my PS4 Pro for all the Sony 1st party stuff.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh another quick question. HDR is kinda hard for most people to tell. I've noticed a split HDR tool being shown in several videos... Is this an xbox level thing by any chance? Would seriously help the masses see for themselves what HDR is doing.
Most of the time I've seen this it's a mock up rather than a genuine thing. HDR's biggest issue (aside from how ludicrously hard it is to setup on PC) is that you can't advertise the content on a screen that isn't HDR. Something system level that could show a genuine split would be really helpful to demonstrate what's going on. Part of the problem is that many TVs process that single differently, so it'd be very difficult for the TV to be half in HDR mode and half not. Think about the sets that need you to boost the backlight levels etc. I'm not sure it's doable.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The only one I've seen is the gears of War 4 video by digital foundry. The divider is a specific setting in the gears menu so it's definitely not system wide unfortunately,.

To see the full effect you need a hdr TV and either:-

1. A hdr capable version of YouTube. Currently on some Samsung tvs and possibly the latest LG ones.

2. A patreon subscription with df so you can download the video and play it back via USB stick.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding load times, isn't the HDD the bottleneck when shoveling data into RAM? If they booth have HDDs how can it be almost 3x as fast. Crazy.

If only I had more time for gaming and a 4K tv :'(

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I hadn't read it yet, so thanks. Dude said he saw what sounds like a noticeable improvement in Dishonored 2, which makes me happy since I've still not played it yet. I still think Wolfie II: The New Colossus will be my breaking-in game.

Dammit, why's it gotta be stupid Friday?
giphya5sm8.gif

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Dolby Vision is in the cards at some point in the future. If it means paying 14.99 for the ability to use I would gladly do so.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
From The Verge:
One thing to note: buy an external drive for the Xbox One X. I ran out of space on the 1TB drive of the Xbox One X with around 14 games installed and 20 apps. Most Xbox One games are around 40GB or 50GB in size, but I've noticed the Enhanced for Xbox One X games are significantly bigger. Gears of War 4 and Halo 5 are at least 100GB, and Titanfall 2 is around 70GB. If you don't have a particularly fast internet connection you'll also be waiting hours to download these games.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey if anyone has got some canadian deals for external hdd I can use on X let me know. Gonna go to sleep but I'll see any replies and all that when I get up.

Ayrtonsenna84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Till the announcement of Scorpio,all Sony talked about was Power,how higher Resolution makes you a better gamer. The most important thing was better looking and Performer Multi Platform Games because the platform was seriously suffering from good exclusives.

All hottest topics were this Game is running at 900p on XO but 1080p on PS4 and under those articles,i witnessed,people tried to convince the Xbox fans how the XO a piece of Garbage is,this is why they choose a PS4 over an XO to be able to play the mp games with their best Forms on consoles.

Now the powerful one is Xbox but the Only and most important thing is exclusives. I can't believe how the narrative changed that quick. Pretty sure MS keeping somethings and will show em when they are ready.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see the load time comparison on GTA V. I wonder if the game itself is scalable at all or if Pro will still be the best console version.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Till the announcement of Scorpio,all Sony talked about was Power,how higher Resolution makes you a better gamer. The most important thing was better looking and Performer Multi Platform Games because the platform was seriously suffering from good exclusives.

All hottest topics were this Game is running at 900p on XO but 1080p on PS4 and under those articles,i witnessed,people tried to convince the Xbox fans how the XO a piece of Garbage is,this is why they choose a PS4 over an XO to be able to play the mp games with their best Forms on consoles.

Now the powerful one is Xbox but the Only and most important thing is exclusives. I can't believe how the narrative changed that quick. Pretty sure MS keeping somethings and will show em when they are ready.

wow, really? this sounds so console warrior bullshit... if you don't think 1st party exclusive games are important you've not been paying attention... they may not be massive sales drivers, but they are very important for a console's game library..

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Interesting that nearly every single review is harping on the dearth of first-party games and exclusives available.
Maybe this will be a slight wake-up call for MS to start taking things more seriously in the following generation,

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Excellent. Will read it later. The final word is solid.

"The Xbox One X sets a new bar for console performance. The team seems like they've gotten back to gaming as a focus, which is great to see. Gaming is always about more than just the hardware though, and any console needs a great set of exclusives to drive adoption. Microsoft has some of their own IP, such as Forza, Gears of War, and Halo, but they are still going to face some tough competition. They have the hardware now though, to drive console gaming to the next level."

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that nearly every single review is harping on the dearth of first-party games and exclusives available.
Maybe this will be a slight wake-up call for MS to start taking things more seriously in the following generation,
I sure hope so. I want them competing. The 360's amazing success is how you get a PS4 and Sony's better directive. They need to fuel each other,

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
To be fair, you are excusing MS for their lack of first party games, because games take long to make? That's not a great argument.

No, not at all. Its clear they have made mistakes and have planned things badly. Shutting down studios and having a focus on the wrong types of games, things like Scalebound and Fable? Those are mistakes. But games take time to make. So lets say a year ago, they woke up and went "oh, bugger me, PlayStation has quite a fair few good exclusives, how did we not see this coming? Lets make some!". Well, you wont be seeing or hearing about those games until next year at the earliest.

The whole "xbox has no games" thing is stupid. I have over 120 games for my xbox one. I have 12 for my PS4. How is that possible? I'm stupid? Blind fan boy? Nah, I just got the PS4 for the exclusives, but played the multiplatforms on xbox. I love the pad. All my friends and wife are there. We have multiple Xboxes in the house, so we can all play. Plus now, with the X, its the best place for those multiplatforms. Of course, I have Uncharted, Last of Us, Bloodbourne, Horizon and the like... I can't get those anywhere else... But I also have a really good PC. As a games designer myself, I kind of have to. Its the law.

So no, its on MS for fucking up and not making games at the right time. Its something they have always done. Look at Rare, one of the best devs in the business in yesteryear, who have been working on the same bloody game for half a decade and its still not out. The same team (though not people) who made some of the best games of my childhood... and they are locked away. But what do we know? They could be working on something else. you just don't know, its too early.

Mark my words... Next year is the make or break year for Microsoft. They will have the best console out, and will really need to impress. That's when they will start showing more off.

But they can make changes yesterday. The lack of ANY advertising of games that I can see is hurting them. I've lost track of the number of films I've seen that's had 3 or 4 Sony adverts before them. The lack of money hatting deals is also hurting them (although it makes me laugh that its ok now Sony is doing it, but when MS did it with COD, they were evil). Oh and the xbox one x price STILL stings. It should have been £399.99, or hell, take the damn hit and go £349.99. GANGBUSTERS.

Microsoft are in this position from their own doing. But people need to just shut up with the "xbox has no games" shit. Its getting old.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Guys, please stop taking the obvious bait.

Can we just agree to ignore any comments anywhere along the lines of "no gamez!"

Its ridiculous and BOTH sides of the "argument" look silly at this point.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft has done some black magic to the marketing and messaging around this machine. As someone who laughed at the X1, this thing just reeks of quality. I have literally no need for it, seeing as I have a PS4 Pro and a pretty good gaming PC. Still, it's calling me. Make the voices stop.

TechMaster

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever your opinion is on Microsoft I doubt anyone could argue they have build an impressive piece of hardware with the X

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
wow, really? this sounds so console warrior bullshit... if you don't think 1st party exclusive games are important you've not been paying attention... they may not be massive sales drivers, but they are very important for a console's game library..

While I would have agreed with you in the past, I'd be happy for my X1X to simply be my multi-platform console, with Halo and GoW. Anyway, I'm sure there will be exclusives in the future and I'm happy to wait.

The only concern I had was whether Sony would be trying to enforce parity between the pro and X1X, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
On
On Xbox if you take a screenshot it takes it in SDR so you can switch between the shot and the game in HDR.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't plan on buying an Xbox One X; I just wanted to give props to whoever thought of the thread title.

Beba

Oct 31, 2017
Holland
I think this is asked multiple times already... but I really can't decide what to do!!

I have a oled hdr 4k tv a xbox one and a ps4 pro aswell as a highend game pc. Although my pc is hooked up on a 1440p monitor without hdr support.

My project scorpio edition is sheduled for delivery 7-11 but I'm in doubt to cancel it. It seems the only beneficial about the one x is the best quality multi-platform games ( as I am not so much in to the MS exclusives atm)

And to satisfy the urge to buy every new piece of hardware as I really love gaming and consoles.

Most arguments are all over the forum.

I just hope this will help to make up my mind!

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I want it, I have cancelled, reordered, then cancelled, but I can't justify it right now. I'm enjoying the footage and I hope to see deeper breakdowns going forward. Seems like it will be a great place to play third party games.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
On Xbox if you take a screenshot it takes it in SDR so you can switch between the shot and the game in HDR.

Interesting hack I didn't think about. Only issue is for a while on my S, I've had this odd issue where games have taken screenshots and they have been seriously dark, to the point of them being near black... No idea why. I'm assuming its because the consoles in HDR mode on my TV (KS8000)

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding load times, isn't the HDD the bottleneck when shoveling data into RAM? If they booth have HDDs how can it be almost 3x as fast. Crazy.

If only I had more time for gaming and a 4K tv :'(

Apparently the HDD is one of those new fangled Shingle-mingle units, which has higher density data, I'm assuming that results in higher reads. I'm concerned about the way people are talking about that specific drive though, and failure rates.