• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardware looks great, I do wonder though if MS can ever actually come out with some new IPs to counter their rivals?

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It seems reviewers mostly only had access to Gears, KI and Forza in time to write their actual reviews which makes it a pretty timid review in progress. It'll be interesting to see how things are on Tuesday and by the end of the year.

I'm surprised people couldn't test Wolfenstein?

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinect adapter is back in stock on Microsoft.com. People are price gouging on Amazon right now.

Although I guess the $40 normal price is price gouging as it is.

Spitz

Oct 27, 2017
I want it now Microsoft. Watching the Digital Foundry video of Gears 4 on my 4K HDR TV right now.
Assassins Creed and Forza 7 are waiting on my Harddrive.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
More substantial improvements across the board and not just a handful of updated first-party titles that really take advantage. I thought that was basically the pitch for the XBX.

This shouldn't be a surprise given what people thought would happen with the PS4 Pro and then what reality was. There's no real reason to think that this system would change all that.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One X review: A surprising amount of power in a very small box (PCWorld youtube video)
I haven't watched the entire video yet, but one thing I heard him say so far is that "this is quieter than I ever remember the Xbox One being. It's pretty much whisper-silent. (but then) Not exactly silent, but pretty damn close"
Oh yes I hope this report is true! There was one report last night that it was kinda loud, which would be such a bummer now that I've gotten used to XB1.

Gah these next couple of days are going to be brutal! Reports everywhere and still a few days until I'll get my own hands on this beauty!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
"The Xbox One X impresses with its power, slick visual design and more importantly with the general attitude Microsoft is showing in their development of this machine. You can tell they're eager to see Xbox fighting fit and competitive again.

As they seek to set their disastrous start to the generation right the Xbox One X feels important and worthwhile. Make no mistake – if you pick this machine up you'll immediately feel the difference and the benefits, even on a 1080p display. With that said, this upgrade still also feels like a mere stepping stone to bigger, better things next generation. Still, Microsoft can rest assured they've built a brilliant technical marvel and one of the best mid-generation console upgrades ever."

That's a nice summary I think. Last line should be shortened and put into a future ad ;)
"Brilliant technical marvel and one of the best mid-generation console upgrades ever."

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
from reddit

AnandTech

If you are a console gamer, there's going to be little to not like about the Xbox One X, except maybe the price. It's a steep jump, since the Xbox One S can usually be found for close to $250, and that generally includes a game, whereas the Xbox One X is $499 right now with no games included. But even if you don't own a 4K TV, the Xbox One X is going to provide much better visuals than the S, even though both will output at 1080p, thanks to the downscaling of higher resolution graphics on the X.

ArsTechnica

If you're already satisfied with the games on your old Xbox One, $500 is a lot of cash to part with for graphical improvements and tweaks for a subset of the same available games (and if you don't have a 4K and/or HDR TV, the value proposition looks even worse). And if you're looking to buy your first console to go with your new 4K TV, you should probably decide between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X based more on their competing software libraries (and prices) than any sort of overwhelming performance difference. If you want the best-looking versions of games like Halo, Gears of War, and Forza Motorsport for much less than a 4K-capable PC, though, the One X is here for you.

CNET

Xbox One X lays a credible claim to the title of most powerful game console ever, but it has an uphill battle for your gaming dollar, especially if you already own an original Xbox One.

GameInformer - In Progress

The review embargo for Xbox One X is up, but Game Informer's verdict is still undetermined, and won't be posted until I spend more time with the console and its games. Microsoft sent us an Xbox One X last week, giving us a nice runway leading up to today's embargo, but a number of games I've deemed essential for weighing in on the performance of Xbox One X are currently unavailable for review.

Gamespot

If you game on a 1080p TV and don't have any plans to upgrade to a 4K one, the Xbox One S is going to be a better fit for you. While you will get some graphical enhancements with the X, you don't really get your money's worth if you don't have a 4K HDR TV. But what if you already own a 4K HDR TV and an Xbox One? In this case, I'd only recommend getting the X if you have the disposable cash to spare for the increased visual fidelity and performance benefits. If you have a 4K HDR TV, don't have a current gen console, and are looking to purchase one, however, the Xbox One X is a great choice.

Engadget

Ultimately, the Xbox One X offers some major performance upgrades that gamers will notice -- especially if you're coming from an original Xbox One. But it's also a bit disappointing since it's coming a year after the PS4 Pro, and it doesn't offer VR yet. For Microsoft fans, though, none of that will matter. It's exactly what the company promised: the fastest game console ever made.

IGN - In Progress

The Xbox One X is a very impressive collection of hardware crammed into a sleek case. It runs cool and quiet as it delivers impressive performance in the enhanced games we've been able to test out so far. It's hard to believe Microsoft exclusives like Gears of War 4 can look so good and run so smoothly on a box that costs less than half of what you'd pay for a high-end gaming PC. Plus, it caters to home theater enthusiasts with 4K ultra-HD Blu-ray playback and Atmos sound.

PC World

Forgive me for repeating myself, but this is a long review and I want to make sure you didn't miss the most important point: The Xbox One X is the best price/performance ratio on the market at the moment. Sure, you can build a PC that outperforms it at every turn—some of you reading this probably have. But native 4K gaming for $500? And in a form factor this small and this quiet? That's pretty incredible, especially when you consider the jump from the original Xbox One—probably Microsoft's low point for console engineering.

The Guardian

Multiplatform titles will almost certainly look better on Xbox One X than on PS4 Pro, sometimes very noticeably (and elements like increased draw distance and smoother frame-rates can have a palpable effect on your gameplay experience), but is it worth the extra £100? That's a conversation you need to have with your aesthetic standards and your wallet.

True Achievements

Should you buy this console? The answer really comes down to two things: affordability, and your existing setup. There's no doubt that £450 or $499 isn't cheap as far as a new console goes, but then the most powerful console ever made was never likely to be. For anyone upgrading from a vanilla Xbox One but who already owns a 4K TV, you'll instantly see a huge difference — it will be like going from a CRT to HD all over again.

The Verge - 8.5/10

The X does offer the best graphics currently possible on a console. If you don't care about Sony's exclusives then the Xbox One X will be the best console to play all the cross-platform games coming out. If you already have a large stack of Xbox One games and you're using the original console, this is going to be a nice upgrade if you own a 4K TV.

Windows Central - 4/5

After experiencing a game with Xbox One X enhancements, particularly in 4K, it's simply hard to go back to standard HD. There are no doubts about the hardware potential. It's just that as of writing, it's hard to know for sure how much waiting you'll have to do to see the console and that expensive 4K display achieve their money's worth.

Wired - 7/10

The Xbox One X is what the Xbox One should have been at launch: a well-designed practical console that, like the Xbox 360 before it, makes a generational leap in graphics. If it had been, perhaps Microsoft wouldn't find itself in the situation it's in now: a games company with a brilliant bit of hardware and so very little to play on it.

XboxAchievements.com

Sure, the Xbox One X is expensive and you're only going to get the true benefit out of it with a 4K TV, but if you've got that disposable income, we can't recommend it highly enough. Like we said, if Microsoft can pull their finger out and deliver some truly original first-party experiences, then the platform holder will be in a good place. If not, we've still got those third-party titles to keep us warm at night.

Paul Thurrott: https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/143087/xbox-one-x-first-impressions-4k-era-arrives

"For now, know this. The Xbox One X is the real thing. It's not hype, it's not trickery, and it's not a baby-step forward. Sony may have rushed out a sort-of 4K console last year, but one could very easily make the case that the Xbox One X is first true 4K console. The first 4K console that matters. And I couldn't be more excited about the future of this platform."

These guys go into a lot of detail fan noise, weight , load times etc

https://www.trueachievements.com/n30374/xbox-one-x-review

"It isn't just in graphics that improvements can be noticed, though. When playing Assassin's Creed Origins, players could transition between the game's protagonist, Bayek, and his scout eagle Senu smoothly and seamlessly on the X, whereas players will experience some loading on the original console. Like GOW4, the draw distance here is much improved too thanks to there being no need to compensate for a smaller amount of pixels."

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More substantial improvements across the board and not just a handful of updated first-party titles that really take advantage. I thought that was basically the pitch for the XBX.
I think we should wait and see what patched games will offer. But keep in mind that the automatic free updates for unpatched games are way beyond what the competition is offering, which ranges from Xbox One titles, 360 titles and OG Xbox titles.

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge
Xbox One X:

GOOD STUFF
A lot of games will get a power boost, with support for Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One titles
4K Blu-ray drive
Small and well-designed hardware

BAD STUFF
You need external storage, 1TB isn't enough
Not enough exclusive 4K-enhanced games
One S' HDR and 4K Blu-ray support means you'll need to really want 4K games for that price

PS4 Pro:

Good Stuff:
4K gaming looks great
Only $100 more than the PS4 slim
A year before Project Scorpio

Bad Stuff:
No 4K Blu-rays
Not exactly "true" 4K
Few Pro Enhanced titles at launch

tenor.gif

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Paul Thurrott: https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/xbox-one/143087/xbox-one-x-first-impressions-4k-era-arrives

"For now, know this. The Xbox One X is the real thing. It's not hype, it's not trickery, and it's not a baby-step forward. Sony may have rushed out a sort-of 4K console last year, but one could very easily make the case that the Xbox One X is first true 4K console. The first 4K console that matters. And I couldn't be more excited about the future of this platform."

This article reads like an ad.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think we should wait and see what patched games will offer. But keep in mind that the automatic free updates for unpatched games are way beyond what the competition is offering, which ranges from Xbox One titles, 360 titles and OG Xbox titles.

I'm sure they are, but people are mostly looking to play current gen games regardless.

Sherbert

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is not even officially out for another 4 days. There have been about 4 patches drop today alone. Obviously Microsoft only has control over their first party and then they have to certify the 3rd party patches for over 70 games.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to some Assassin's Creed and Witcher 3 comparisons. The Gears of War visual mode footage, from Digital Foundry was promising. I'm not surprised that the performance mode couldn't hold 60 fps. Probably the CPU.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

No problem, these get access to better hardware, too. I've yet to see it but especially a free 16x AF will be a huge upgrade to IQ, considering how bad it was and is with current gen titles.

Sure, but the reviews seem to gloss over most this difference so far. We'll see in a while.
Also, I don't feel the Verge review is that shocking. I mean, there's more than a year between the two devices and expectations do change. I'm also sure pricing plays a big role.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sure, but the reviews seem to gloss over most this difference so far. We'll see in a while.
Also, I don't feel the Verge review is that shocking. I mean, there's more than a year between the two devices and expectations do change. I'm also sure pricing plays a big role.

Also different reviewers. I don't necessarily see a problem with their score.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Huh? The review summary doesn't reflect that at all. i think Era knows what is pro and contra as we are enthusiasts but the summary from the Verge doesn't really reflect that with their points.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This article reads like an ad.
I can't rightly remember, but isn't Mr. Thurrott the guy who's been critical of Microsoft often in the past, especially the Xbox division? Or am I remembering that wrong.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the Verge review thing that's been quoted. As Hoo-doo points out, it's a year later. Also, it's 100 dollars more, and Playstation consoles have more exclusives which can only be played on their consoles which could make them more appealing to some people.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
The reviews dont seem to be talking about existing titles that have uncapped framerate or dynamic resolutions. My understanding is those titles should run / keep higher resolutions and framerates right?

Texture filtering improvements not default?

I also assumed 30 or 60fps 'locked' titles should hold those respective framerates way way better than a standard One S.

Patches for 4k res or textures make sense but I would be shocked if existing titles can not take advantage of the power unpatched..

I recall reading a reason the ps4 pro didnt do that out of the box was the way the hardware was designed. Now this could be a 'tales from my ass' but I recall reading it was build with the additinal
Hardware literally build on top of the existing platform and that then required the software to bridge the gain. As in standard software literally couldn't access the additionalhardware layer?

I was under the impression the One X was rebuild from the ground up so the hardware so could brute force the software much like a PC could.

Would love to be educated on this!

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reviews dont seem to be talking about existing titles that have uncapped framerate or dynamic resolutions. My understanding is those titles should run / keep higher resolutions and framerates right?

Texture filtering improvements not default?

I also assumed 30 or 60fps 'locked' titles should hold those respective framerates way way better than a standard One S.
gotta wait for DF for these details. These reviewers aren't going to notice stuff like this

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't rightly remember, but isn't Mr. Thurrott the guy who's been critical of Microsoft often in the past, especially the Xbox division? Or am I remembering that wrong.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that Verge review. As Hoo-doo points out, it's a year later. Also, it's 100 dollars more, and Playstation consoles have more exclusives which can only be played on their consoles which could make them more appealing to some people.

So we have blaming people, a reiteration of a point that does not address the review summary of the Verge and an attempt to list wars, all in one post and loosely connected, if at all.

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Metro Review:

"The Xbox One X isn't going to revolutionise gaming, and it's absolutely not the start of a new generation of consoles. But it is the most powerful machine currently available and a much more convincing argument in favour of mid-generation upgrades than the slightly half-hearted PS4 Pro"