• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be a known issue with the X (although sounds like maybe you had it with the S too?). There's multiple reports of it on /r/xboxone as well. It's happening to me - it happened basically every day since I got it on Xmas, then was fine for the past week until last night. Like you mentioned, a hard reboot fixes it. I've also had luck going into network settings and disabling Wifi altogether, but then you have to re-enter your Wifi password so it almost ends up being faster just restarting the console.

I really truly hope this is fixable with a firmware update and doesn't require a hardware fix.
Yeah it's definitely not X only. All of my friends that had the issue are on original Xbox Ones

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any issues with external hard drives on the X? The one I transferred over from my OG went bad after a few days of usage with the X, but it was an older drive so I figured it just died. Got a new one though and that has failed now after a couple weeks of use.

Could just be bad luck but wanted to see if anyone else has hit this.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone have any issues with external hard drives on the X? The one I transferred over from my OG went bad after a few days of usage with the X, but it was an older drive so I figured it just died. Got a new one though and that has failed now after a couple weeks of use.

Ive been using an 2GB external and i have no real issues.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Hey, we all know that Project Scorpio / Xbox One X has a 6 teraflop GPU (that's 6,000 Gflops) right?

But what about the original 2001 XBOX with its Nvidia GPU?

Lets have a look at Microsoft's GDC 2000 XBOX announcement and the specs Microsoft gave us, and then what the final retail XBOX actually had.

GDC 2000 slides:

4hCEyV8.jpg
qcSkXZr.jpg

140.1 GFlops for the XBOX GPU huh? Pretty damn good .. Yeah right, I don't believe you.gif !!

But now lets A.) take away the fudged Nvidia Flops (aka NvFlops) and B.) see what actual floating point performance was with the final clockspeed of the real GPU, from a good source...

81OjgSL.jpg

weq7iyk.jpg

1wrZvFn.jpg

What is Xbox One X / Scorpio Engine GPU again?... 6,000 GFlops (6TF).

And the 'real' figure for the OG XBOX GPU: 21.6 GFlops.

So Xbox One X GPU has 277.7 times the raw floating point performance of the original XBOX GPU.

Obviously we're not taking into account the vast differences in architectures between Nvidia's NV2A (XBOX GPU) which was a hybrid of NV20 (GeForce 3) and NV25 (GeForce 4 Ti) and AMD's Polaris architectures, which also spans more than a decade and a half in time. Just the raw, single precision fp32 performance.

Bonus Edit! It is pretty well-known and accepted that Xbox 360's ATI designed 'Xenos' GPU pushes 240 GFlops, which means Xbox One X GPU has exactly 25 times more raw floating point performance of the 360's GPU :)

Note: This is purely for fun!

Last edited:

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having an issue with the Xbox One X turning off during the 4K/Scorpio bootup intro? It's happened twice now. Both times, I turned it back on and it was fine. Hopefully, it just needs to be fixed in a system update.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I can't get my Xbox One X to auto download games that I trigger from Xbox.com I don't know why it's not working. My console is in standby so it should download. Anyone have this working on their XOX?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, something is off. Should be able to access the content asap.

You have to have unlocked the first (second?) festival location. It's not immediate on a new profile, but it can be done in like maybe a half hour. When you hit that point, you get a radio call and it pops up on your map, and you'll also be able to fast-travel there from the pause menu (on the Hot Wheels/Blizzard Mountain tabs). Your save file keeps you in whichever zone you were last in, so once you get the profile to Hot Wheels, you won't have to worry about getting back there manually.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I had one die on me, used in a PS4 for six months, then repurposed it for the X, and within 2 months of using it on the X it stopped being recognized (to be fair, the Xbox struggled to recognize it to begin with, leading me to believe it was already defective, until I formatted on a Mac of all things and copied a bunch of junk data to it first). The replacement has been working fine the past month.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but new version of the Elite Controller is starting to pop up. Obviously a rumor for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if true.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/...lite-controller-update-design-features-rumors
An anonymous poster claims the new version will include a USB-C port for charging, Bluetooth support for Windows 10, three-level Hair Trigger Locks, longer key travel for the paddles, and a three-profile switch.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I love this console. Super luxurious with the elite controller. Silent. What a machine.

Just wish there was more X enhanced software.

LiKellow

Nov 13, 2017
Liskeard, Cornwall
Anybody else having an issue with the Xbox One X turning off during the 4K/Scorpio bootup intro? It's happened twice now. Both times, I turned it back on and it was fine. Hopefully, it just needs to be fixed in a system update.

I had this issue. I found that when I powered on the Xbox One X and then used my remote to turn on the television, the remote powered off the console. Probably doesn't help, but it could be something to look out for.

TehPwnerer

Oct 30, 2017
Welp it appears the HDMI connection on my X died sometime in the last two weeks. The system powers on and registers input from the controller, but the signal from the HDMI cable is non-existent. Just went through all the steps of swapping cables, swapping tv/monitor, direct HDMI connection to tv, hold power button for 10 seconds and power down, hold power button and eject button together and wait for second beep to power up in low resolution mode, and nothing works. Just flat out no HDMI signal anywhere or on anything. Think I'm hosed and will have to send it back to Microsoft unless anyone here knows anything else to try. Has this problem been seen before? I swear every piece of electronics these days is just liable to crap out at any given moment. Nothing is reliable. It's really getting old.

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
Welp it appears the HDMI connection on my X died sometime in the last two weeks. The system powers on and registers input from the controller, but the signal from the HDMI cable is non-existent. Just went through all the steps of swapping cables, swapping tv/monitor, direct HDMI connection to tv, hold power button for 10 seconds and power down, hold power button and eject button together and wait for second beep to power up in low resolution mode, and nothing works. Just flat out no HDMI signal anywhere or on anything. Think I'm hosed and will have to send it back to Microsoft unless anyone here knows anything else to try. Has this problem been seen before? I swear every piece of electronics these days is just liable to crap out at any given moment. Nothing is reliable. It's really getting old.

I've heard of several with that exact problem. I wouldn't call it widespread but this seems to be one of the more common failures

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Hey, we all know that Project Scorpio / Xbox One X has a 6 teraflop GPU (that's 6,000 glops) right?

But what about the original 2001 XBOX with its Nvidia GPU?

Lets have a look at Microsoft's GDC 2000 XBOX announcement and the specs Microsoft gave us, and then what the final retail XBOX actually had.

GDC 2000 slides:

4hCEyV8.jpg
qcSkXZr.jpg

141.1 GFlops for the XBOX GPU huh? Pretty damn good .. Yeah right, I don't believe you.gif !!

But now lets A.) take away the fudged Nvidia Flops (aka NvFlops) and B.) see what actual floating point performance was with the final clockspeed of the real GPU, from a good source...

81OjgSL.jpg

weq7iyk.jpg

1wrZvFn.jpg

What is Xbox One X / Scorpio Engine GPU again?... 6,000 GFlops (6TF).

And the 'real' figure for the OG XBOX GPU: 21.6 GFlops.

So Xbox One X GPU has 277.7 times the raw floating point performance of the original XBOX GPU.

Obviously we're not taking into account the vast differences in architectures between Nvidia's NV2A (XBOX GPU) which was a hybrid of NV20 (GeForce 3) and NV25 (GeForce 4 Ti) and AMD's Polaris architectures, which also spans more than a decade and a half in time. Just the raw, single precision fp32 performance.

Bonus Edit! It is pretty well-known and accepted that Xbox 360's ATI designed 'Xenos' GPU pushes 240 GFlops, which means Xbox One X GPU has exactly 25 times more raw floating point performance of the 360's GPU :)

Note: This is purely for fun!
Awesome post! I like learning stuff!

Ohhhht

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe not the best place to ask but does anyone have any spare xbox live codes they would be happy to give away? A 48 hour one would be fine. Thanks ERA.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Yeah it's definitely not X only. All of my friends that had the issue are on original Xbox Ones
I had it on my original Xbox One ages ago. It went away with some update eventually, but now has also reppeared for me on the X. It's even more annoying now since going offline and online in the settings doesn't seem to fix it anymore. Gotta do a reset every time.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just pull the power plug for a minute. Should reboot afterwards. I had this happen twice shortly after I got the console, then never again. Probably some incomplete update.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds like business as usual for my PS4 Pro but I haven't experienced it with my Xbox yet. It just sounds like handshake issues. Often it'll be triggered by the order in which you power things up.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The only HDMI issue I (thought I) had on my Xbox One X is when I would start getting flashes of static every time I tried to watch Netflix, HBO Go, or anything else which activated HDCP.

But then it turned out to be a problem with my receiver, not my Xbox at all. And simply power cycling my receiver fixed it.

So it might be worth checking on whether your receiver is acting up too.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I want to sell my S and use the money to pick up an X, but it hasn't been an easy sell. I might've also made a mistake when I traded in the controller that came with it (for a good price during a promotion), because I didn't think ahead enough. Now the only controller I have for it is a custom one, which is inscribed. It's seen some use over the last year, but looks almost new because I'm careful with my things and don't eat or drink while gaming. I'd sell it without worry, but can't because of the inscription. Any ideas on how to cover or take that off without damaging the controller itself much?

I'll probably have to pick up a used one off of Craigslist or something, hopefully for $30, then sell it alongside.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Hi guys

I recently went from possibly sometime wanting an Xbox One X to a definite purchase once I have the money to do that. Normally around a launch of a console I keep track of console faults just so I can monitor if they are more frequent but with this era of hardware refresh I have not.

If I were to go pick up an Xbox One are there any common or major hardware faults that I have to be aware of?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Hi guys

I recently went from possibly sometime wanting an Xbox One X to a definite purchase once I have the money to do that. Normally around a launch of a console I keep track of console faults just so I can monitor if they are more frequent but with this era of hardware refresh I have not.

If I were to go pick up an Xbox One are there any common or major hardware faults that I have to be aware of?

None that I have read/heard of. This system is built like a tank and it shows in the quality of it

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys

It's been a pretty flawless launch from a hardware/software stability perspective. Buy with confidence!

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I managed to sell an unopened, fat Xbox One I had bought in Paris in order to purchase an X, which just arrived to some major retailers in my country (Argentina). That said, the excessive price (about $950, after all taxes) made me reconsider. I will now wait for a few months for it to drop (to, at least, around $710-$750: electronics are expensive here) given that AC: Origins is probably the only enhanced title I am anxious to play.

I have seen giant ads in several neighborhoods of Buenos Aires.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017