• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the X? As you should be. Your cables must be certified for HDMI High Speed or HDMI Premium.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/11/22/best-4k-hdr-experience-xbox/#hzCROEjY626e8FKO.99

This was exactly my thought too. I have a somewhat complex case where everything is going through a 4K switch box to the TV, then TV ARC back to an AV receiver. The only way to get everything to work without flickering, random black screens, and full HDR was to ensure all HDMI cables in the chain were "certified 4K"cables. I can personally vouch for the excellence of the monoprice brand cables.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
I'm very sure that I'm using the 4K cable that came with the One X. I haven't replaced it at all. Still has issues with flickering and screen sometimes not even showing anything at all.

Probably doesn't mean much but I have a PS4 Pro with the highest settings available on that one but I have had no issues on that one at all.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sure that I'm using the 4K cable that came with the One X. I haven't replaced it at all. Still has issues with flickering and screen sometimes not even showing anything at all.

Probably doesn't mean much but I have a PS4 Pro with the highest settings available on that one but I have had no issues on that one at all.

Cables can be bad. It's the first and cheapest place to troubleshoot.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
Duuuuude! If you haven't yet, go to Settings > Personalization > Theme & Motion and turn off smoother transitions. It still has some motion to the menus but it's waaay more responsive.

I don't know what method for the smoothing effect they were using but it's a total failure because it makes everything hang a bit before it responds to you.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up my x the other day, the fact that argos had a deal on at 449 with AC:O and Pubg chucked in swung it.

Haven't played it that much, but FM7 looks utterly glorious, and I'm happy that Nascar 2 now runs at 60fps, where it ran at 30 on the one.

Plus, it's really, really quiet.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting. Also be sure the HDMI port you are using on the TV actually supports HDMI 2.0 ( i'm not sure about Sony, but a couple other brands only have this on one port out of the three or four).

On the Xbox itself, try this, in this exact order:
1. Change your settings to display 1080p, then reboot with 1080p mode, not 4k.
2. Set colour depth to 10-bit
3. Select tv connection to "auto-detect",
4. then checkbox 24 hz, checkbox 50 hz, checkbox HDR, and the last step is to select 4K.

You should hopefully have all checkmarks displayed. If you're getting a message that 4k itself is not supported, then there something going on with your TV itself.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
TK6QosE.jpg
Decided I earned an "I survived 2017" gift for myself so I picked up the beauty last night.

Transferred all of my stuff over from the S with ease, now I'm downloading all of the 4K updates.
Can't wait to see Halo 5 and Gears 4 running in 4K later tonight.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Duuuuude! If you haven't yet, go to Settings > Personalization > Theme & Motion and turn off smoother transitions. It still has some motion to the menus but it's waaay more responsive.

I don't know what method for the smoothing effect they were using but it's a total failure because it makes everything hang a bit before it responds to you.

Thanks! That's much better.

Now if my in limbo RE4 Achievement could just unlock, I'd feel a lot better about getting back into Xbox gaming after a 3 year hiatus.

Oct 29, 2017
I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

When setting the options for games (for instance Wolfenstein II), should I set it to surround sound, or just stereo? I know Atmos does a faux surround for everything, but I've never known if it is better to set just to stereo or what. Thanks!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

When setting the options for games (for instance Wolfenstein II), should I set it to surround sound, or just stereo? I know Atmos does a faux surround for everything, but I've never known if it is better to set just to stereo or what. Thanks!

Surround. The Atmos Headphones algorithm will do its thing and downmix the 5.1 to a headphone mix.

If you just give it a 2 channel stereo mix, it won't have nearly as much info to work which while trying to create a faux spatial mix.

Oct 28, 2017
Who uses their console on a 4k monitor instead of a tv? Was planning on getting a tv, but its a bedroom setup so maybe sitting 3 feet away from a 50" tv isnt the best idea? Plus freesync is a thing I guess. Obvously HDR monitor's aren't really affordable yet.
Was looking atthisearlier and it seems alright. Thoughts?

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

Gonna have to check that out

Oct 26, 2017
Who uses their console on a 4k monitor instead of a tv? Was planning on getting a tv, but its a bedroom setup so maybe sitting 3 feet away from a 50" tv isnt the best idea? Plus freesync is a thing I guess. Obvously HDR monitor's aren't really affordable yet.
Was looking atthisearlier and it seems alright. Thoughts?
I have one. All right seems about right. You notice the TN-ness of it even though some reviews say you don't. I like the built in headphone jack, it helps me run TV audio through some old analog stereo speakers. The two HDMI 2.0 ports are nice too so I can run PS4 Pro as well. I still need to work on calibrating it. Who knows if FreeSync will ever really be a thing and if you'll need 2.0 or whatever to make it happen. Man have they been quiet about that lately or what?

Oh, the stand it ships with is straight trash.

I had a 23" Dell 1080p IPS before and it was really good, and their stands are nice as well. I don't think they have a 2.0 HDMI 4k model in that price range though.

I look at my Asus purchase as holding me over until FreeSync 2 and HDR are established at a reasonable price on monitors. As a matter of circumstance I've been playing on a Vizio 60" 1080p screen with OG Xbox One for the past week or so at 3-4 feet. Not ideal for competitive FPS but pretty manageable. A nice TV might be a good choice actually. 28" monitor is decent size but I feel like something bigger would be nice to go pixel hunting in PUBG or whatever. To think I considered going with 24" for 4k gaming! Anyway the TV market has more choice available than monitors at the moment as best I can tell. And you could go UHD and all that, though you'd probably give up the dream of FreeSync. Sorry that I don't have a slam dunk recommendation one way or the other.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about monitors, since it is indeed not a 50" screen and the system downsamples, 4k is less important to me than HDR and other qualities, so I'm looking to get one of these. I can handle 1440p on a 32" and the color, pixel response, and LFR will go a long way. That should carry through to whenever 4k chroma 4:4:4 whatever Dolby Vision standards are actually obtainable.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I just grabbed one of these bad boys on Saturday. I sold my old Day One edition Xbox One, combined with some gift cards and Best Buy reward certs and got a good deal on it. I wanted to snag one while the free PUBG promo was happening.

Man, this console is significantly better than the old Xbox I had. It looks nicer on my entertainment center, it's super quiet and the controller is greatly improved.

I grabbed The Witcher 3 in the marketplace sale so I can check that out with HDR in 4K and I also played a bit of Super Lucky's Tale in 4K, which looked great. Still in the process of downloading all of the 4K updates.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
A friend of mine doesnt own a xbox but does have a very good pc. Is it possible for him to buy Forza Horizon 3 and play it? I know its a xbox play everywhere title so what does he need to play that game?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine doesnt own a xbox but does have a very good pc. Is it possible for him to buy Forza Horizon 3 and play it? I know its a xbox play everywhere title so what does he need to play that game?

Buy it on the windows store or from here. Cheaper.
https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/forza-horizon-3-xbox-one-digital-code
And just redeem the code. Play Anywhere just means if you buy one version you get the other version also. Xbox to PC or PC to Xbox. Its just one code.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As soon as you activate a digital code on the Windows store it should appear in your library.

Buy it on the windows store or from here. Cheaper.
https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/forza-horizon-3-xbox-one-digital-code
And just redeem the code. Play Anywhere just means if you buy one version you get the other version also. Xbox to PC or PC to Xbox. Its just one code.

Awesome so no Gold needed or something? I saw somewhere that you needed a gold account on xbox live to use this feature..

Thanx!!

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Have I made a mistake? I have still to receive my X, but I already have buyers remorse. I have a 1080p 50inch sony KDL TV, and I sit 5m away from it. I don't know if I will gain that much of a difference due to the supersampling. Is there anyone here with a 1080p TV that can encourage me to keep it when it arrives?

Oct 28, 2017
Have I made a mistake? I have still to receive my X, but I already have buyers remorse. I have a 1080p 50inch sony KDL TV, and I sit 5m away from it. I don't know if I will gain that much of a difference due to the supersampling. Is there anyone here with a 1080p TV that can encourage me to keep it when it arrives?
It'll look nice on the 1080p display, and games will run better.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

It will basically be like upgrading your pc but using the same old screen. Same benefits.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So has anyone's power-bill been...higher since the 1X launch?

My primary display is a 1080p, and I've been happy with it. The IQ/detail differences there are noticeable, even ignoring any performance bumps. It's not quite on this level, but think of 4K supersampling like how the image quality on a Bluray running at 1080p looks better than most console games at that resolution.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just purchased a Xbox One X today in Curry's Store with five games for £479.
Amazing looking hardware but it has a manufactured date of October. I would have thought they'd be selling faster than that.
What is everyone' manufacture date? Anyone get a December?

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Amazing looking hardware but it has a manufactured date of October. I would have thought they'd be selling faster than that.

depends on the area you live i guess. They sold out pretty quick in my area. Anyway you have nothing to worry about. Ive had no issues with the console.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're simply keeping up with demand.
They also manufacture the batches pretty early, I wouldn't read too much into the lead time to sale.
For example, European launch units for November (non-'Scorpio Edition') by many accounts were manufactured in September.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My X has me worried at the moment. I played Halo 5 earlier, and after returning to the menus following a game of Warzone, the game froze. I could still bring up the guide, go to the dashboard, etc. though. Later, I was playing Prop Hunt in Modern Warfare Remastered and it did the same thing mid-game.

Has anyone had this happen to them, or heard of it happening to others? Really hope this thing isn't messing up on me. I'm sure Microsoft would fix or replace it without any hassle if needed, but I'd rather avoid that route. :/

Oct 28, 2017

Try the 'Insects' demo when you get your X, and decide for yourself :)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sto...enhanced-experience/9p798w4vdt91?SilentAuth=1

edit: In case you meant to return it without opening it: I have a 55" 1080p display and supersampling makes a big difference in my opinion, not to mention all the other QoL upgrades that come with the X.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I probably won't get a 4K display for a while, but I'm curious...should I get a 4K monitor or TV? Is there any real difference?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm really like the X, the hardware and games look stunning, even on my 1080p TV.
But the UI is stuttering and it shouldn't.
Also I have the same issue I had we hen I bought a my PS4 Pro, why do retail staff insist on asking why I'm buying the X if I'm not using a 4K TV?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really like the X, the hardware and games look stunning, even on my 1080p TV.
But the UI is stuttering and it shouldn't.
Also I have the same issue I had we hen I bought a my PS4 Pro, why do retail staff insist on asking why I'm buying the X if I'm not using a 4K TV?

Why are you having so much conversation with retail staff that they know what TV you have? To each their own and all, but I shit down the unnecessary retail chatter pretty quickly.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
no difference, I kept my fat cable (that was a pain to switch as well) and everything is OK.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My game seems to not be updating... Wasnt it the point it would update the games with the 4k content and downscale it?

If you are connected to live, and are using the X and it launches then you already have a fully patched game. Many games were patched for 4K with general updates and didn't have a specific 4K update. So if you had an old Xbox One and were playing the game on there you'd already have the 4K patch installed.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark

I meant to say game*s*. None are updating.

If you are connected to live, and are using the X and it launches then you already have a fully patched game. Many games were patched for 4K with general updates and didn't have a specific 4K update. So if you had an old Xbox One and were playing the game on there you'd already have the 4K patch installed.

Hmmm... PUBG launched with no issues since I had it on my external. I may try to delete and redownload the games.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Hmmm... PUBG launched with no issues since I had it on my external. I may try to delete and redownload the games.

What? If you can launch PUBG then you have the 4K updates. There isn't anything to download. The updates were just part of the general patches. Everyone got them. You wouldn't be able to launch the game if it wasn't updated.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Any game you download from the store would already have any updates installed. PUBG for example would already have the 4k patch when you buy and download the game.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I just got the X and I am setting it up. Is there a difference in HDMI cable that I got with my day one xbox and the x? Like, 4K stuff? Its a pain to switch them out.
Pretty much any cable that's purchased post-2010 supports the bandwidth needed for 4K/HDR etc. unless it's a longer cable, then success rate may vary.
The HDMI stuff you may need to change depending on your setup is with your gear, receivers and whatnot. Those would need to support HDMI 2.0 for 4K/60Hz output, 1.4 spec only goes up to 4K/30Hz.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to hop in and say that I finally took the time to look up some Xbox One S vs One X footage and holy wow. The differences for Assassin's Creed Origins at 1080p looked like I was viewing the game with and without glasses.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I did the thing. I got an Xbox One X. I don't even know why.. um... does anyone know if they're going to add more backwards compatible XBox and XBox 360 games? Also will they maybe enhance more titles for the X?

And uh... does game pass let you download the games or is it some weird streaming thing

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I did the thing. I got an Xbox One X. I don't even know why.. um... does anyone know if they're going to add more backwards compatible XBox and XBox 360 games? Also will they maybe enhance more titles for the X?

And uh... does game pass let you download the games or is it some weird streaming thing

You download the games from Game Pass. Also, more BC games will be coming for Xbox and Xbox 360, just a matter of time. Before the new year, we would see some added every week or every other week.