• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to eject discs from the controller?
Yeah, you use Kinect and say Xbox eje-- hang on..

As someone who recently watched a 4K Blade Runner disc I also wanted to know the answer and it turns out it is not actually possible. The physical eject button on the console is the only option.

Out curiosity what is the manufacturing date on the sticker on the back of your x?
Don't know if you were asking someone specific, but for example mine is from Sept 26th.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some deals on these today, 420 for console only at simplygames, and tesco have a deal with 5 games for 460 iirc

HockeyGuy412

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, you use Kinect and say Xbox eje-- hang on..

As someone who recently watched a 4K Blade Runner disc I also wanted to know the answer and it turns out it is not actually possible. The physical eject button on the console is the only option.

Don't know if you were asking someone specific, but for example mine is from Sept 26th.
Thank you for the replies. I was asking the for the manufacturing date for anyone on this thread. Did you pick up yours on launch day?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a piece of shit, but I don't really like it. I bought one with my X and after about 3 days I switched the normal controller and haven't pulled the Elite back out. Granted I don't like Xbox controllers period so my opinion probably doesn't help you much.

I don't get it. If you remove the paddles it's the same shape and layout as the og contoller, only with a better d-pad, sticks, and grip.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing through wolfenstein 2 and during some parts of the game I'm hearing the fan pick up considerably. I'm playing on a 1080p screen.

How quite is this console supposed to be? Literally whisper quite? I'm thinking it may be an issue with the console so may exchange it.

What are shopto like on exchanges? Will they have one sent over to swap at the door or will I have to send this one back in?

Edit -
More specifically the segment is heavy on cut scenes. When it swaps from cutscene to gameplay the fans pick up a considerable amount.

Last edited:

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Elite controller is great for all those bone head games that map sprint to the A button, map it to a paddle and keep your thumb on the stick.

BrightCanon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through wolfenstein 2 and during some parts of the game I'm hearing the fan pick up considerably. I'm playing on a 1080p screen.

How quite is this console supposed to be? Literally whisper quite? I'm thinking it may be an issue with the console so may exchange it.

What are shopto like on exchanges? Will they have one sent over to swap at the door or will I have to send this one back in?

Edit -
More specifically the segment is heavy on cut scenes. When it swaps from cutscene to gameplay the fans pick up a considerable amount.
I've had two X's. Both haven't been silent. You can definitely hear them. One was a little louder than the other but both definitely audible.

berryman69

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Is that a double-standard in your post?

I'm not pretending the Elite doesn't have problems. But just because you haven't had problems with your DS4s doesn't mean other people are not.

All versions of the DS4.....while ergonomically fantasic.....are of sub-standard quality.

I definitely don't agree with this. Last gen the PS3s were decent quality but the controller was pure garbage with some of the worst sticks I've ever played with. DS3s are trash tier controllers. THAT is substandard quality. DS4s in my opinion are of great quality at this point in time. Even the originals were amazingly designed for the most part. A few things I would change for my personal preferences.

I have not any creaking, sticking, peeling, or usb problems. My controller with usb problem is likewise nearly perfect after 6 months decently hard use. And this is going through 4 controllers over the last 1.5 years. I've seen and felt the evolution of the controller, which is why I mentioned the possibility that the Elite has gone through revisions as well. But you don't just scoff at a 3.6 rating on Amazon. It takes work to get that score.

My elite had no problems. I liked it. I like bumpers, and I wish Sony would make a nice controller with bumpers. But that has nothing to do with atrocious warranties man. DS4s were guilty of this early on too. Sony and Microsoft seem willing to help users, but I don't forget both controllers have been a pain in the ass at one time or another if I'm gonna purchase something new. So I'm not sure what your point is here. I was one of the FIRST people to warn others about the peeling DS4 sticks. It was fucking atrocious and I burned through 4 controllers with moderate to heavy use.

But as of now my newest DS4 is absolutely grade AAA the best controller I have owned period. And I've used just about everything at one time or another. An Elite without problems is also up there for me. I actually prefer aspects of the 360 controller over the One though.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
not really sure if this is the proper place to ask, but they added the ability to delete games with 0 gamerscore right? I am pressing X to hide deadfall adventures off my list, and it is removed. But then when I check my list again, there it is right at the top not hidden. Is this feature currently broken?

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao microsoft sent me $5 cause they accidentally sent me duplicate emails when
i got my X.
They been too good 2 me this holiday season

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely don't agree with this. Last gen the PS3s were decent quality but the controller was pure garbage with some of the worst sticks I've ever played with. DS3s are trash tier controllers. THAT is substandard quality. DS4s in my opinion are of great quality at this point in time. Even the originals were amazingly designed for the most part. A few things I would change for my personal preferences.

I have not any creaking, sticking, peeling, or usb problems. My controller with usb problem is likewise nearly perfect after 6 months decently hard use. And this is going through 4 controllers over the last 1.5 years. I've seen and felt the evolution of the controller, which is why I mentioned the possibility that the Elite has gone through revisions as well. But you don't just scoff at a 3.6 rating on Amazon. It takes work to get that score.

My elite had no problems. I liked it. I like bumpers, and I wish Sony would make a nice controller with bumpers. But that has nothing to do with atrocious warranties man. DS4s were guilty of this early on too. Sony and Microsoft seem willing to help users, but I don't forget both controllers have been a pain in the ass at one time or another if I'm gonna purchase something new. So I'm not sure what your point is here. I was one of the FIRST people to warn others about the peeling DS4 sticks. It was fucking atrocious and I burned through 4 controllers with moderate to heavy use.

But as of now my newest DS4 is absolutely grade AAA the best controller I have owned period. And I've used just about everything at one time or another. An Elite without problems is also up there for me. I actually prefer aspects of the 360 controller over the One though.
Again

You are preaching that even though some may not be having issues with the Elites, that doesn't mean there aren't issues (which I agree there are) you keep stating like I am saying there aren't issues with the Elites. That's the opposite of the truth

Yet to me you are doubling down on the notion that since you aren't issues with the latest build of the DS4s how they are fine, despite some of us are having issues.

Oct 30, 2017
Anybody see what happened on slickdeals? Seems like if you could get the price match people on Best Buy's online chat to get you to match some Wal Marts in Missouri or Mississippi you could get a One X for 350 or 200 dollars.

Also, if anyone here lives in either of those states, there's apparently a Wal Mart in your state selling these things for very low prices.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody see what happened on slickdeals? Seems like if you could get the price match people on Best Buy's online chat to get you to match some Wal Marts in Missouri or Mississippi you could get a One X for 350 or 200 dollars.

Also, if anyone here lives in either of those states, there's apparently a Wal Mart in your state selling these things for very low prices.
Screenshots?

EricTheCleric

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Is there a good third party website to browse the MS Xbox Store?
Their website store front is so poorly designed it is annoying me and I'm losing time.

I mean for fucks sake. More than half the games listed on their deals page are full price games at 70$.
What idiots designed the Xbox Store?

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Elite controller is without doubt the best controller I've ever used. By a huge, huge margin. So much so I've bought two.

The DS4 was a massive upgrade over the DS3 but still lagged behind the XB1 controller in my view. The XB1 controller just felt better for FPS games especially. And I used the DS4 a lot more so it isn't a case of familiarity.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
The Elite controller is without doubt the best controller I've ever used. By a huge, huge margin. So much so I've bought two.

The DS4 was a massive upgrade over the DS3 but still lagged behind the XB1 controller in my view. The XB1 controller just felt better for FPS games especially. And I used the DS4 a lot more so it isn't a case of familiarity.
I have always preferred the Xbox controller, even going as far back as the OG Xbox. You're right the DS4 is an improvement, but it still falls short against its Xbox counterpart.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I have always preferred the Xbox controller, even going as far back as the OG Xbox. You're right the DS4 is an improvement, but it still falls short against its Xbox counterpart.

I agree. I play my PS4 significantly more than my Xbox One, but I play my PC more than both of those put together.
If I'm playing a game with a controller, I'm using an Xbox controller. My hand just grips it better and the sticks feel smoother. Also, my PS4 face buttons have started to stick for some reason.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017

I agree for the most part. The Elite Controller is really good. I like both the regular Xbox One controller and DS4 the same. The DS4 feels more comfortable for long gaming sessions, and quality is the same. The Elite Controller is definitely really solid, and well worth the money.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I got my Xbox One X and was trying to use an IR blaster because I used the On/Off function with my TV and A/V receiver thanks to the Kinect.

I bought one that people said worked with prior Xbox Ones, but no dice on it working.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, looking forward to trying Witcher 3 with the new patch. I'll definitely be doing the performance one.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well, I got my Xbox One X and was trying to use an IR blaster because I used the On/Off function with my TV and A/V receiver thanks to the Kinect.

I bought one that people said worked with prior Xbox Ones, but no dice on it working.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, looking forward to trying Witcher 3 with the new patch. I'll definitely be doing the performance one.

I don't know what your issue is with your IR but it might be good to provide folks here what exactly you have for troubleshooting advice.

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on the AVSforums said it's best to put color depth of the X to 8 bit for the content that may not support it, since X automatically uses 10 bits when needed. Color depth is what i'm talking about.

Is this true?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what your issue is with your IR but it might be good to provide folks here what exactly you have for troubleshooting advice.
Here is the IR cable I am using.

I'm using a Samsung Plasma TV from a few years back and a Yamaha A/V surround sound system. I don't have the model numbers for them (I can update when I get home).

As mentioned, the Kinect worked perfectly fine for turning them both on and off, so hopefully I can get this figured out.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Here is the IR cable I am using.

I'm using a Samsung Plasma TV from a few years back and a Yamaha A/V surround sound system. I don't have the model numbers for them (I can update when I get home).

As mentioned, the Kinect worked perfectly fine for turning them both on and off, so hopefully I can get this figured out.

Kinect's IR blasting was disabled for consoles newer than the Xbox One (S & X)

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Yup, mine used to woosh in Assassin's Creed Origins, too. I exchanged it and the new one hasn't EVER wooshed. Not once. It is SILENT. I've put 90+ hours into the game.

Don't settle for a loud one.

Also, the old one crashed Assassin's Creed back to the dashboard a number of times, which my new one has not. I'm not sure that I can attribute that to the console or not, since there have been a number of AC:O patches.

Here's a video of my old, loud Xbox One X:

That whooshing noise is exactly the same that mine makes every now and again. I've seen loads of other reports with people saying the same thing across various boards my cousins unit does it too

Genuinely unsure what to do about it as the system is so quiet at all other times and on non enhanced games. I'll see how it goes I guess. Did speak to an Amazon rep about it and they said if your not happy with it within the year warranty they'll issue a replacement, so hey ho

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinect's IR blasting was disabled for consoles newer than the Xbox One (S & X)
I had an old Xbox One that had Kinect and used the IR blasting just fine with it on these devices. That's what I meant.

I heard you needed an IR cable like the one I linked to control TV and A/V on Xbox One S/X, so I bought one, and it isn't working.

So that's what I'm trying to figure out. How do I get it working?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I had an old Xbox One that had Kinect and used the IR blasting just fine with it on these devices. That's what I meant.

I heard you needed an IR cable like the one I linked to control TV and A/V on Xbox One S/X, so I bought one, and it isn't working.

What's wrong with the X's built-in IR blaster?

BrightCanon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else's X case make cracking or popping noises occasionally? It's like the plastic is heating up or something.

Oct 26, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/ANkLM

That guy says you should put the TV resolution to 1080p even if you have a 4K TV, because the dashboard is not in 4K and it's fuzzier compared to when you set it at 1080p. I've tried it but as soon as i select 1080p i lose the signal completely and about a minute later it's back on the dashboard with the 4K UHD setting selected in the settings.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

The Xbox One X and the S have built in IR blasters (I use mine to control my TV and soundbar) do you have a special use case where you need a longer IR cable?

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/ANkLM

That guy says you should put the TV resolution to 1080p even if you have a 4K TV, because the dashboard is not in 4K and it's fuzzier compared to when you set it at 1080p. I've tried it but as soon as i select 1080p i lose the signal completely and about a minute later it's back on the dashboard with the 4K UHD setting selected in the settings.

And lose native 4K? The fuck? There are so many idiots on the net. Who the fuck spends so much time in the dashboard anyway that this remotely becomes an issue.