• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yea it's weird to see people say they are having issues, I don't doubt them but after hours of Enhanced gaming and watching UHD movies I've never heard the X1X do anything
I can chime in on the other side.

Again, it is not SUPER loud but I can hear it. Quiet room, I mute the TV while playing a game like Wolfenstein 2. Yes I can hear the fans running. At certain points, I can hear the fans kick into to overdrive for 3 seconds of "whoosh" With the audio on, I can't really hear it. Unless the scene gets quiet or it gets to a loading screen.

My console is absolutely not silent though

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Probably, we don't get banned here on the spot for expressing positive opinions about the Xbox brand. Either more of us or we don't fear getting banned for speaking up about Xbox

There is nothing wrong with posting positively about Xbox.

Would would lead to a ban is engaging in console war like behaviour on this forum. Keep that stuff to twitter or whatever. There is no place for it here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
dunno if this is the right place but dunno if there's an OT for game pass anyway

you dudes doing the november reward stuff? does it work if you change your console from another region and use it? anyone received a reward already, what are the "mystery gifts"?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Off topic, is it just me or are there much more xbox fans on here than there was in neogaf?
I think that old place was horrible for gamers that preferred Xbox or had an interest in it. No one wanted to speak, because you would get banned. The threads would turn to shit in an instant, so what was the point of posting there. Here Xbox fans have place and it feels good. I own all platforms and I like talking about them all. Finally I can do that here without feeling like I have to constantly defend a positive post about something Xbox related. I am very happy here on this forum and have 0 plans on returning to the old one. The mods here have been absolutely fantastic!

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted in the Xbox threads at the other place because I got tired of every since one of them turning into garbage. So much nicer here.

Trickstar

Oct 30, 2017
So about the batteries, mine came with duracell lol. Does that mean i have to buy new ones when theyre dead?i thought id be like ps4 where u just plug with the USB port and let it charge?or do they offer both options?

Trickstar

Oct 30, 2017

Again, it is not SUPER loud but I can hear it. Quiet room, I mute the TV while playing a game like Wolfenstein 2. Yes I can hear the fans running. At certain points, I can hear the fans kick into to overdrive for 3 seconds of "whoosh" With the audio on, I can't really hear it. Unless the scene gets quiet or it gets to a loading screen.

I received my unit yesterday night, wife and kid were sleeping so it was very quiet. Plugged the box and set it up, and i could hear the fans i was chocked because everyone here kept sayinh how quiet it is. It isnt that quiet. Im sure its just the xbox fanboys trying to get back at ps4 fanboys. This is so xhildish. But yea, its not ThAT quiet and its in the open vs my ps4 pro in a cabinet (noisy yes)

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So after a week, i have to say i absolutely love this X. Exactly what i wanted this gen to be. Games look amazing so far, HW is sleek and quiet as hell. So happy. A bit pricey, but totally worth it.

edit: now if only the OS was as amazing as the console is. Still feels like the OS is really holding it back.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So after a week, i have to say i absolutely love this X. Exactly what i wanted this gen to be. Games look amazing so far, HW is sleek and quiet as hell. So happy. A bit pricey, but totally worth it.

edit: now if only the OS was as amazing as the console is. Still feels like the OS is really holding it back.

Agreed, I've not played my Xbox this much since Sunset Overdrive. And I'm only playing BF2 trial (crap), Don't Starve (great) and Warframe (looks fabulous) it's a great little machine, holding off AC:Oranges until a cheap time over Xmas. Had they launched this originally (or something to the same design guidelines) we'd have a different generation I suspect.

Agree on the OS too, it's still miles better than every iteration since launch and though I've become quite absorbed by the social features, clubs are great. I still find it the worst of the main 3 in terms of aesthetics and advertising. I also find it to be a little sluggish sometimes when navigating, dpad button presses don't quite register or register twice etc.

Oh and join the ResetERA club people! :D

Mzoga

Nov 6, 2017

I get the same thing on Wolfenstein 2, it's not overpoweringly loud, but it is noticeable (although it's more like the air flow vs. the actual fan noise) -- my real concern is about the smell. The thing smells like ozone or sort of hot plastic and I'm worried that it's going to end up melting something down. MS support to this point has just sorta shrugged because I apparently haven't said the magic word "burning", but since it's a Scorpio Edition I didn't really want to send it back because I'm paranoid about new console smells.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Agreed, I've not played my Xbox this much since Sunset Overdrive. And I'm only playing BF2 trial (crap), Don't Starve (great) and Warframe (looks fabulous) it's a great little machine, holding off AC:Oranges until a cheap time over Xmas. Had they launched this originally (or something to the same design guidelines) we'd have a different generation I suspect.

Agree on the OS too, it's still miles better than every iteration since launch and though I've become quite absorbed by the social features, clubs are great. I still find it the worst of the main 3 in terms of aesthetics and advertising. I also find it to be a little sluggish sometimes when navigating, dpad button presses don't quite register or register twice etc.

Oh and join the ResetERA club people! :D

Yeah I've also noticed some lag in the menus and when navigating the store. Also encountered a bug where my background color changed and I had to change it to another color to get the color I wanted before. Other than some nitpicky stuff like that, the UI is okay IMO, they really need to update it to 4K though.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Have Halo 5, Gears 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 3, Oblivion already and bought Forza 7, WW2, and Battlefront 2 to play with my new X and fucking Amazon and UPS fucked me with my 4K TV shipment. Should of had it Saturday and it's still showing as "Delayed" with no update since Saturday.

Never buying a TV again online...

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
dunno if this is the right place but dunno if there's an OT for game pass anyway

you dudes doing the november reward stuff? does it work if you change your console from another region and use it? anyone received a reward already, what are the "mystery gifts"?

Yes, I've got rewards last month. I am in the UK but haven't tried changing region. I've used the "play retro games" challenge as an excuse to finally finish kameo and also make more progress with guacamelee...

I did the UK game pass reward last month and got Xbox credit (I think) it pops up in your system messages.

There's no way to track progress or see if you've completed it so you just have to hope.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I am one day short of having this for two weeks and the wireless network adapter went bad. I have to choices. I can take this back to Best Buy and do an exchange, or send it to Microsoft for repair. smh

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Stupid question time....

Me and my wife bought a Scorpio edition Xbox One X for a family member and we are going to buy a few games and UHD moves to go with it and present it as a family gift to them. They have a 4k set and it does not do HDR. Will UHD's still run on their screen and will they look fine or is the HDR encoded that you have to have a HDR set to watch UHD movies? We have HDR capable sets in our home, so it is something I can't test with my or my wife's "X".

Thanks!

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ouch, my backlog of games hurts on the X. Note to self: resist buying Battlefront II as you have too many games to get through already...

Nick Trovato

Oct 31, 2017
Anybody here playing Tomb Raider and not able to get the HDR Luminance setting set correctly?? No matter what I do with the slider, I can still see the TOMB RAIDER screen

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question time....

Me and my wife bought a Scorpio edition Xbox One X for a family member and we are going to buy a few games and UHD moves to go with it and present it as a family gift to them. They have a 4k set and it does not do HDR. Will UHD's still run on their screen and will they look fine or is the HDR encoded that you have to have a HDR set to watch UHD movies? We have HDR capable sets in our home, so it is something I can't test with my or my wife's "X".

Thanks!
4K will be displayed perfectly fine.
They just won't get the HDR color range and contrast plua peak brightness.

Neolink

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid question time....

Thanks!

The games will look great still on their sets, just not as good as if they had HDR. Games and movies with HDR still display fine on non-HDR sets.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Stupid question time....

Thanks!
I wouldn't have thought there would be anything to stop you watching UHD's on a non HDR set you just wouldn't get the benefit.

Arsebiscult

Nov 15, 2017
Still playing stuff on the back compatibility on the X, Love visiting Lost Odyessey again....

ZWANCiR.png

rtQ0WxT.png

31ld5C2.png

KrBnHJX.png

Nick Trovato

Oct 31, 2017

Bizarro ... I was using the exact same settings from that guy and this is the first time I've had any issues. So you can't see the logo at all?? Do you have 10-bit and Standard Color Space selected ... what about Allow YCC 4:2:2?

EDIT: NM ... I had to adjust the Brightness setting in the game and then the HDR disappeared.

Last edited:

CerebralRogue

Oct 28, 2017
Bizarro ... I was using the exact same settings from that guy and this is the first time I've had any issues. So you can't see the logo at all??
I'll check again when I'm back at home later but to your earlier point, this HDR shenanigans is not consistent across different games. Some games look blown out and others dark as hell. I couldn't get recore looking satisfactory to my eyes, but I chalk that up to an issue with the game.

Nick Trovato

Oct 31, 2017
I'll check again when I'm back at home later but to your earlier point, this HDR shenanigans is not consistent across different games. Some games look blown out and others dark as hell. I couldn't get recore looking satisfactory to my eyes, but I chalk that up to an issue with the game.

NM .. I figured it out ... had to adjust the brightness controls in the game and then the HDR logo disappeared ... what a dumb ass!! ;)

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Not sure how everyone is expecting the Xbox X to be quite when running high end games? I get none of you are PC gamers, but have you seen what's under the hood of the Xbox one X?

It's bound to make more than your average noise of your ps4\xbox one, everyone's room temperature, humidity, temperature in air flow is different, which will effect the temperatures your X is running at and makes it hard to compare to each other.

Stick a termometer and hydrometer where your X is if you want to compare machines. As you need to compare the environment they are living in.
My 1070 sounds like a jet engine when playing anything on my PC. I have yet to hear a peep out of my X

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stupid question time....

Thanks!

Out of curiosity what TV do they have?

I have a 2015 Samsung 4K set which wasn't advertised as supporting HDR. Turns out it was because the standard for HDMI 2.0a (I think that was the version) wasn't finalised when the sets were released, so they couldn't say it had it. They then upgraded all 2015 4K sets to support HDR on HDMI1.

I was pleasantly surprised when I hooked my Xbox One X up on HDMI1 and the Xbox reported my console supports HDR.

The implementation probably isn't as good as more recent TVs, but I still notice a difference with it on. Of course your family member may not have a 2015 4K Samsung set, but I thought it was worth a mention :D

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity what TV do they have?

I have a 2015 Samsung 4K set which wasn't advertised as supporting HDR. Turns out it was because the standard for HDMI 2.0a (I think that was the version) wasn't finalised when the sets were released, so they couldn't say it had it. They then upgraded all 2015 4K sets to support HDR on HDMI1.

I was pleasantly surprised when I hooked my Xbox One X up on HDMI1 and the Xbox reported my console supports HDR.

The implementation probably isn't as good as more recent TVs, but I still notice a difference with it on. Of course your family member may not have a 2015 4K Samsung set, but I thought it was worth a mention :D

It is a 2014 Panasonic AX800u. It was a set I originally bought, but the upgraded to the 2015 model. I don't think the 800u ever got an update for HDR.