• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I have been a PS4 Pro owner for some time and I have experienced the dreaded "jet engine" fan. Last week I decided I had enough and got myself a One X after hearing great things about the noise level.

I know most units are known to be Silent but apparently not all of them. I put my new X in a free space with plenty of room for air ventilation from all directions and with the heating in my living room turned off.

My X is so loud, as soon as I boot most games in 4k theres a clearly audible "wind" sound and when Im in intensive gameplay it goes incredibly loud. I booted up GoW on my PS4 Pro at the same time, even after the "Jet engine" sound picked up it was silenced by my X.

After checking the internet I found some people with the same issue that blamed it on the "Hovis" method. This is supposed to be Microsofts method to manifacture the hardware, resulting in different consoles needing different levels of power to reach the same performance.

Im not sure if this is the case, and to my knowledge most X's are silent but its defenitley not always the case.

Hopefully I will get a refund or a better console but I was really surprised and thought this topic deserved some attention, its worth knowing before you decide to go buy one.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Are you sure nothing has got inside like a small pebble or rock?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have been a PS4 Pro owner for some time and I have experienced the dreaded "jet engine" fan. Last week I decided I had enough and got myself a One X after hearing great things about the noise level.

I know most units are known to be Silent but apparently not all of them. I put my new X in a free space with plenty of room for air ventilation from all directions and with the heating in my living room turned off.

My X is so loud, as soon as I boot most games in 4k theres a clearly audible "wind" sound and when Im in intensive gameplay it goes incredibly loud. I booted up GoW on my PS4 Pro at the same time, even after the "Jet engine" sound picked up it was silenced by my X.

After checking the internet I found some people with the same issue that blamed it on the "Hovis" method. This is supposed to be Microsofts method to manifacture the hardware, resulting in different consoles needing different levels of power to reach the same performance.

Im not sure if this is the case, and to my knowledge most X's are silent but its defenitley not always the case.

Hopefully I will get a refund or a better console but I was really surprised and thought this topic deserved some attention, its worth knowing before you decide to go buy one.

I don't understand - now everybody should consider not buying the console which is mostly silent for most people because yours isn't? I mean, of course it deserves its own topic to see if others have the same issue but then again, wouldn't there be way more threads about it?

Oct 30, 2017
I only hear the fan in my One X on 2 games: DMCV and TD2. Only on loading screens though. In the actual gameplay it's quiet. Even muted my tv to double check.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I know exactly what you're talking about OP.
Sent my two different xboxes in to MS on different occassions and they would always send them back, having only been "factory reset"
They DID come back quiet tho, so yeah, who knows what they actually did.
Definitely send it in or get it replaced

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
My extended warranty is almost up and I'm thinking of getting it swapped. Recently it failed while trying to install a game multiple times. The drive slowed to a crawl for a long time then it said installation failed. It's become a little louder as time has progressed but nowhere near Pro.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is too, plus it has coil whine. I sent it in once and it was just factory reset, so it still does the same thing. I've just said fuck it, as I don't feel like sending it in again, just for them to do the same thing again.

Oct 28, 2017
I've had a One X since the day it launched and it's been deathly silent the whole time I've owned it.

Until I played Devil May Cry V. The fans kick in pretty much at the title screen and run at various speeds at different points in the game.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
A few games that I have played can have some loud moments but mostly it's not too bad (and doesn't bother me).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Get it replaced. The fan does kick in for some games but it tends to be for a few seconds and then back to normal.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Got two X1X models,one loud and the other silent,always been like this from day one.
My white GOW Pro is half the volume of our loud X1X.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely get it checked out/returned, my X runs shockingly quiet.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Get it swapped.
My external hard drive is louder than my one x.

also, my xbox does get a little more audible during a long session of an intensive game, or it sporadically pushes out a ton of air at once.
It varies.

Id deff swap it out tho in ur situation.

OP
OP
LuckyLinus

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Definitely get it swapped out, my x is incredibly quiet. Yours sounds defective.
Yeah I think Ive been incredibly unlucky by the sound of it, I will have to try and get a replacement
I've had a One X since the day it launched and it's been deathly silent the whole time I've owned it.

Until I played Devil May Cry V. The fans kick in pretty much at the title screen and run at various speeds at different points in the game.
some loud moments is fine, mine just goes "windy" all the time
Are you sure nothing has got inside like a small pebble or rock?
I didnt open the unit but I couldnt hear anything sounding like a small object inside

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Are you sure there's ventilation on the back side? That's the most important side as the hot air needs to be moved away so any enclosed furniture that has a closed back isn't ideal. If you're out of warranty then you can open it up and replace the thermal compound (as it's most likely dried out) or just swap it out at a Microsoft store. Also when you're in menu's and title screens and notice extra noise I believe those screens are uncapped frame rates so they push the console harder than if it was running the actual game, but it shouldn't be as loud as you are describing. Do note that enhanced games have full access to the hardware so the fan will be louder than if you were running a non enhanced xb1 game or a 360 (non enhanced) game which can be limited to around only 3TF of the GPU IRC.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I've had a scorpio edition since day one and I would never call it loud. The fan will ramp up during intense games, but its more like a gentle breeze than a loud whoosh. There did used to be an issue where it would rev up for a few seconds at max every 15 mins or so but that stopped after a system update about a year ago

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
Definitely get that replaced, I hardly hear a peep out of mine and my mate who has one doesn't have a problem either.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not normal. Back when Microsoft was using live people and I explained a similar issue, they told me send it in. Do it before your warranty is up.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is too, plus it has coil whine. I sent it in once and it was just factory reset, so it still does the same thing. I've just said fuck it, as I don't feel like sending it in again, just for them to do the same thing again.

Coil whine is very common for the Xbonx, mine has it as well. I don't think you'll get one without it.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My X is audible in games that stress it, but it's not even close to my launch PS4 Pro - mostly due to the difference in pitch and how the Pro shifts up and down constantly. How is it in non-enhanced games / dashboard etc? It should be almost silent there.

I'd swap it out if you're able to / concerned, there's somewhat of a lottery with these things unfortunately.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
X1X should be almost totally silent, report it to MS for replacement. First check if there is dust clogging the holes on the sides. I had this and after removing the dust, it was whisper-quiet again.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Mine is loud aswell. But since I'm always unlucky and never get a silent console I gave up worrying about it. The X works fine for me, so it's okay.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, I thank you for this thread as it's motivating me to get my One X replaced. I've played a ton of Capcom games recently, and Monster Hunter World and DMCV specifically make my Xbox quite loud. Loud enough that I can hear the fans over my sound bar.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Not normal. To all people who are saying they have one that is loud, it shouldn't be like the PSPro wine on intense games like UC4 and GoW. Yes, fans will kick in on the X, but not jet engine loud.

If you just got it OP, get it replaced.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I exchanged my One X with a loud fan for another one and it was still not as silent as people make it out to be.
So I swapped the thermal paste which was really dry to the point that there was absolutely no moisture in it. The One X was still not silent and not much better.
I then swapped the paste out for liquid metal and the console is now so much better.
It seems that the One X struggles with the transfer of heat from the APU to the heat sink and that the liquid metal helps so much with this.
Also don't try and replace the thermal pads that MS use because 1mm was to thin and 2mm was to thick and caused huge issues with how the heat sink came into contact with the APU.
But and I think this is a big but, we really need to realise that this little box is pushing out game like forza horizon 4 and RDR2 at 4K and that heat has to come from somewhere.
The liquid metal compound also made my PS4 Pro a lot quieter than it was.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I hear little "tings" from mine occasionally, but if I hear any whirring like a fan, it's usually because I have a disc in the drive. Otherwise it's quiet (Quite unlike the power bricks on the original Xbox One). Definitely not normal for it to be loud.

The launch PS4 Pro is very loud though in some games. It's the worst thing about that system.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
My extended warranty is almost up and I'm thinking of getting it swapped. Recently it failed while trying to install a game multiple times. The drive slowed to a crawl for a long time then it said installation failed. It's become a little louder as time has progressed but nowhere near Pro.

I would do it.

I should've got mine swapped before it ended but too late.
Now it doubles as a heater in my room.