• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
DbM2PEsX4AIVdd8

IGN posted this garbage on their Facebook and Instagram. They have since apologised and removed the posts.

Saw the actual post last night and thought it was in really poor taste.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this is some bad journalism. I love the IGN unlock people but whoever posted that really put a stain on the site. That post will forever be used to show how a press can be biased

I don't think this is a sign of bias in the press. More like an example of someone on the social media team having poor judgment. The joke was unprofessional, but let's not turn this into something it's not.

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
Just seen the IGN guy's apology and just wow. It's the sort of thing I'd expect if they'd posted something racist or genuinely offensive.

It's just mind boggling to me that level of response was felt warranted.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DbM2PEsX4AIVdd8

IGN posted this garbage on their Facebook and Instagram. They have since apologised and removed the posts.

Wow, never expected this from IGN (or any other professional website for that matter), glad to see Ryan addressing it though.

So are these OG Xbox games in actual native 4K? Like Jade Empire?

All titles should run at 1960p or higher. Depends on their native res. If the title was 480p it goes up to 1960p and if they are 720p I believe it reaches 2160p.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I found it to be unplayable. It looks good in stills but movement feels even less than 30 fps. It gets better the faster you are, but it's pretty bad otherwise. Game would need motion blur to make it feel more smooth. I found it more playable on my 360.

What's funny is the mid-ground background scenery (which is just used for show) seems to a more ideal focal point, in terms of more smooth, useful movement at 30 fps.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Just seen the IGN guy's apology and just wow. It's the sort of thing I'd expect if they'd posted something racist or genuinely offensive.

Xbox fans got upset. See everyone knows Xbox lineup is weak right now compared to Sony and Xbox fans are upset about it but these media sites keep rubbing it in and mock them for choosing Xbox over PS. If you keep poking them and make fun of them just coz they choose Xbox then they bound to get mad. Saying same thing over and over again will obviously irritate some people.

Hardcore fans on both sides don't like this while those who own all consoles and are neutral, they don't get affected by it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand why anyone would get upset about what was obviously a pretty light hearted post.

It's not particularly funny but imagine being upset by something that trivial.

It's not something IGN should be doing

ESPN posting "wow handegg team one won the NFL suck it handegg team two" on their social media would be just as stupid. It's not about people being "too sensitive", it's fucking common sense

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I own both and still think it was a pretty dumb thing to post. There's enough childish console warrior stuff knocking around without the likes of IGN getting involved.

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
It's not something IGN should be doing

ESPN posting "wow handegg team one won the NFL suck it handegg team two" on their social media would be just as stupid. It's not about people being "too sensitive", it's fucking common sense

Not really, if fans demand an apology like that for their team being mocked they're being overly sensitive too. People need some perspective.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I am all for jokes and giggles, but that IGN post was like some hot-take from N4G. The offence is how lame it is.
I find it pretty weird that so many people (and especially Xbox fans) keep bashing out the no exclusives mantra. We get it. Hell, everyone gets it. Xbox is in a bad place for exclusives right now, but it's not something that needs to be brought up and again and again and again, especially 2 months before E3.

It's like having a friend who's broke and is working on being unbroke, but literally everyone around him just keeps telling him how broke he is.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, if fans demand an apology like that for their team being mocked they're being overly sensitive too. People need some perspective.

Ah yes, people today are just too damn touchy am i right?
I'm not even going down this rabbit hole with you. Just shaking my head about how you can't understand why a news website (for games/sports/whatever) posting a fanboyish joke on their official social media accounts is an incredibly dumb thing to do

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I am all for jokes and giggles, but that IGN post was like some hot-take from N4G. The offence is how lame it is.

It is. As someone who's working on building up my own gaming site right now via social media and any kind of outreach possible, it's glaringly obvious the social media team were going for the edgy angle here. Playing that Facebook game, it'll be a killer post for engagement just because it stokes the fire, but it's just too cringe.

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, people today are just too damn touchy am i right?
I'm not even going down this rabbit hole with you. Just shaking my head about how you can't understand why a news website (for games/sports/whatever) posting a fanboyish joke on their official social media accounts is an incredibly dumb thing to do

I do agree it was a dumb thing to post and already said so but actually being offended by it and thinking an apology was needed? Really? That's what I can't get my head around.

Anyway I shouldn't clog this thread up with more posts about it as it's a bit off topic.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I do agree it was a dumb thing to post and already said so but actually being offended by it and thinking an apology was needed? Really? That's what I can't get my head around.

Anyway I shouldn't clog this thread up with more posts about it as it's a bit off topic.

I mean if you do a dumb thing you apologise partially to let people know you realise it was a mistake and that you're not actually dumb. It doesn't have to be about people taking offense.

Although people do, obviously, but... I mean... those people just will. :)

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you do a dumb thing you apologise partially to let people know you realise it was a mistake and that you're not actually dumb. It doesn't have to be about people taking offense.

Although people do, obviously, but... I mean... those people just will. :)

Sure but I think it was a dumb thing because of the response it would get despite being harmless, besides that it just wasn't even that funny. If I made a dumb joke like this and people got that upset about it I may apologise if I was in a position of needing PR but in reality I wouldn't mean it and would think people were being ridiculous.

An IGN response of 'It was just a dumb innocuous joke, don't take it so seriously' would be completely valid but obviously they would never respond that way.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Joke wasn't funny, and wasn't clever enough to even warrant posting. The issue comes from when supposedly impartial sites makes jokes that "take a side" in either direction. Joke or not, it just looks super unprofessional of them. They didn't do anything similar when Sea of Thieves, or even Breath of the Wild came out.

Not a big deal, probably just some low level employee who thought it would be a funny joke and didn't actually think that he represents a business who can't be seen taking sides like that.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Can we get back to talking about Enhancements? :D

Lol yeah. So to contrast things a bit, I was playing some God of War at resolution mode, which is 4Kcb.
I've played a few Native 4K games on the One X and while it might not be noticeable to some, I can definitely feel a difference. the 4kcb looks great, (and honestly it might just be the film grain) but it doesn't look as sharp/clear as I've seen on Halo 5.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Going through Homefront The Revolution right now,I got the deal a few weeks back that included the 4DLC's for 10 bucks(CAD)...anyway I know this game had a rough launch,deservedly so in some area's but I am having a blast with it right now...the HDR is very well done and it looks nice at 1800P...I think its worth it now,it's probably cheap even out of deals,they did a great enhancement job.
The game looks great. The story was ok but the dlc set after the regular game is really good and actually sets things up well for a sequel if we end up getting one.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Now that they've done Gears 2 and 3 enhanced, do we have any bets on whether they're going to enhance the 360 version of gears 1 or the xbox one version?

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Now that they've done Gears 2 and 3 enhanced, do we have any bets on whether they're going to enhance the 360 version of gears 1 or the xbox one version?

I sure hope if they do it, they do the X1 version. It's already stellar and getting it in 4K would be brilliant. Admittedly though, I probably wouldn't play it again. Twice is enough for me.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Lol yeah. So to contrast things a bit, I was playing some God of War at resolution mode, which is 4Kcb.
I've played a few Native 4K games on the One X and while it might not be noticeable to some, I can definitely feel a difference. the 4kcb looks great, (and honestly it might just be the film grain) but it doesn't look as sharp/clear as I've seen on Halo 5.

Yea I could easily tell just from direct footage of it. CB rendering isn't going to look as clean and detailed as a native res. But it's still a great way to save performance and still keep a good IQ

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Any word or rumor on Halo Reach? I am doing my first every playthrough of the series and oh goddamn is it rough to play at 30 fps after my CE-2-3-ODST run.

Loving Halo so far but feel like this lack of a Reach port is a roadblock. If there's zero word on an update I'll just plow through it but if it's a "wait for E3" kind of thing I could get started on other Xbox IPs I've missed out on like Gears of War.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Any word or rumor on Halo Reach? I am doing my first every playthrough of the series and oh goddamn is it rough to play at 30 fps after my CE-2-3-ODST run.

Loving Halo so far but feel like this lack of a Reach port is a roadblock. If there's zero word on an update I'll just plow through it but if it's a "wait for E3" kind of thing I could get started on other Xbox IPs I've missed out on like Gears of War.

Not a peep aside from 343 acknowledging it's a common request for an MCC update.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Halo Reach is soooo good but yeah, I can't go back to 30fps Halo. I would gladly pay for Reach DLC for MCC.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Sure but I think it was a dumb thing because of the response it would get despite being harmless, besides that it just wasn't even that funny. If I made a dumb joke like this and people got that upset about it I may apologise if I was in a position of needing PR but in reality I wouldn't mean it and would think people were being ridiculous.

An IGN response of 'It was just a dumb innocuous joke, don't take it so seriously' would be completely valid but obviously they would never respond that way.
You're missing the point that they're a news outlet who covers Xbox as part of their business and almost 100% have personal relationships with members of those teams. I bet there are a ton of people at IGN who are friends with Xbox team members and developers, maybe people who let them in on secrets, give them access to things, or else are just on friendly terms. Taking this kind of needless, unfunny dig at them is shitty. It's completely unprofessional. It's like if you and I were friends and at different companies and I was like "yeah, man. I talked to some people and I can get you guys in to see x, y and z" then the next day you turn around and call me an asshole across your social media. That's a shitty thing to do.

Should fans get upset? No. Did someone from Microsoft get upset and send a word to IGN? Abso-fucking-lutely. Did someone need to apologize in a professional manner to try and mend that bridge? Of course they did. As for the tone of the apology? You don't need to be apologizing for something like being a racist to make a sincere professional apology. Come on.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If they wanted to do some light ribbing that even Xbox owners would appreciate they should have gone with a screenshot of the new GOW and something like "how about a Ryse 2 @xbox?". I don't think the tweet was worth getting upset over but it was incredibly unfunny.

Rodhull

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing the point that they're a news outlet who covers Xbox as part of their business and almost 100% have personal relationships with members of those teams. I bet there are a ton of people at IGN who are friends with Xbox team members and developers, maybe people who let them in on secrets, give them access to things, or else are just on friendly terms. Taking this kind of needless, unfunny dig at them is shitty. It's completely unprofessional. It's like if you and I were friends and at different companies and I was like "yeah, man. I talked to some people and I can get you guys in to see x, y and z" then the next day you turn around and call me an asshole across your social media. That's a shitty thing to do.

That is not even remotely comparable to the IGN post.

Going by this logic games sites can't possibly offer any opinions on any company if they wish to have any potential relationship with them. Making a joke out of something that games sites have been saying regularly for at least a year should not be this level of a controversy. If it is then almost every gaming podcast i listen to will need to be issuing apologies shortly. Now granted IGN is in a unique position given its size and it does get more exclusives than almost any outlet besides Game Informer but if it's really the case that companies are that sensitive that they would restrict access to them due to their content then i don't think thats something we should be championing as consumers even if it is realistically how the world works.

What if Sony/EA/Microsoft/whoever has a really shitty E3. Should IGN not mention it in a serious or joking manner then? Of course not but to me that would do more damage to the companies reputation than a mild joke that should have been forgotten about almost immediately if people had any sense.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
There's a difference between legit criticisim and warrior-baiting meme shitposting. They're not kids on a forum.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's the sort of apology you'd expect when there are potential repercussions from one of the major players in the industry. Sony and Nintendo haven't been afraid to pull advertising and support for sites in the past following ill-judged posts.

They're running a business, so an unwarranted post like this has financial impact hence the speedy and grovelling apology. They don't want to alienate Xbox gamers or Microsoft, but I fear they've managed to do both.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person who wants another 30 fps Halo Campaign? I want my face to melt when I play it on my X.

Remember how blown away some people were at the first Halo 4 screenshots? I miss that.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person who wants another 30 fps Halo Campaign? I want my face to melt when I play it on my X.

Remember how blown away some people were at the first Halo 4 screenshots? I miss that.
What in the world is this

I'm playing through the Halo series for the first time and Reach's 30 fps has been the stumbling block stopping me from playing the rest of the campaign.

I mean I respect opinions and all that but I'm firmly in the camp of "it literally doesn't matter what you put in your game, if the price is 30 fps it's not worth it"

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
What in the world is this

I'm playing through the Halo series for the first time and Reach's 30 fps has been the stumbling block stopping me from playing the rest of the campaign.

I mean I respect opinions and all that but I'm firmly in the camp of "it literally doesn't matter what you put in your game, if the price is 30 fps it's not worth it"
I grew up with 30fps Halo and most people have for that matter. I would love 60fps to stay for the Multiplayer of course but I don't see how people would hate going back to it if that's Halo started out anyways? Also, there's a track record of proven success in 30fps shooters. Once again though, I'm specifically talking about campaign. Not Multiplayer.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK

I hope it stays at a solid 60fps (campaign and multiplayer). I really like the feel and responsiveness of 60 frames per second shooters.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any hint/rumor for GTA IV being enhanced for the X? With RDR having just been enhanced, I'm hoping they'll try for this soon.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I grew up with 30fps Halo and most people have for that matter. I would love 60fps to stay for the Multiplayer of course but I don't see how people would hate going back to it if that's Halo started out anyways? Also, there's a track record of proven success in 30fps shooters. Once again though, I'm specifically talking about campaign. Not Multiplayer.

I'm not as averse to 60fps as some people, but do appreciate it when developers commit to it. However, the thing that I object vehemently to here is the split of 30 60 in campaign and multi. That just hangs there as a constant reminder of what you're missing out on, input latency and control wise. I can do 30 precisely up until the point where I taste 60 in the same game. Gears 4 and Uncharted 4 were both agony :)

Also, 30fps Xbox One version just means the PC version will beckon more, and Xbox players are stuck playing the definitively second best version of the flagship Xbox franchise. Granted, there'll prolly be boons to a PC version either way, but at least not purely in regards to controller gameplay.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Halo 6 single player needs to be 30fps. Halo 5's cutbacks to get it to 60 in the campaign weren't worth it, I'd rather play at 30 with cutting edge graphics than what Halo 5 looked like. Especially now there will be a PC version too. Multiplayer is a different story.