• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing AC Origins again, going through the Hidden Ones DLC expansion. This game on the X is phenomenal.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great for me. Maybe adjust the sliders a bit lower?

I have an OLED and the game looks amazing!!! I play my games in Game Mode.. Not HDR mode.

It looks sufficiently bright in non HDR Game Mode. I'm aware that on OLEDs, LG goes for a more "accurate" tone mapped picture in HDR Game Mode, which results in some dimness. But FH3 along with Madden 18 are the only two games across my PS4P and One X where I'm like, yeah, this doesn't look right.

PositiveGamer you're saying you play games that are HDR compatible in in regular game mode?

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
I must be the only one that isn't all that insanely impressed with FH3 on X, maybe it's the HDR that just doesn't look right, still too dim or something. It doesn't impress me as much as the other X enhanced games with HDR.

You are not alone. Im not that impressed either. Theres plenty of better looking games IMO: Gears 4, Witcher 3, Battlefront II. Even Halo 5 enhanced is more notorious.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
It looks sufficiently bright in non HDR Game Mode. I'm aware that on OLEDs, LG goes for a more "accurate" tone mapped picture in HDR Game Mode, which results in some dimness. But FH3 along with Madden 18 are the only two games across my PS4P and One X where I'm like, yeah, this doesn't look right.
I dont have an LG, but the way I adjusted was to look at the bright sun, and adjust sliders until sun itself (and the surrounding sunburn) looked just right.
After that, just go to blizzard mountain and pick a night track with snow etc, I think you will see the phosphorescents reflections etc already being adjusted just right too.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing Mafia 3 last night when suddenly my screen went black for a second and my tv said no connection. It came right back though. Then ten minutes later the same thing. I restarted the system, my tv and my receiver and all seemed well for the 35 min I played after. Still, I'm worried. I'm using monoprice certified cables, about a month old. Sony 900E and Denon receiver. Been using this equipment for months without issue, and had my X since launch day.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

PositiveGamer you're saying you play games that are HDR compatible in in regular game mode?

Correct.. the TV Still detects HDR through Game Mode. HDR mode is only recommended for movies that don't have HDR. And honestly, I don't really like the way it looks anyway through HDR mode.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Correct.. the TV Still detects HDR through Game Mode. HDR mode is only recommended for movies that don't have HDR. And honestly, I don't really like the way it looks anyway through HDR mode.

Eh? I think you're going to confuse people here. You are using HDR...the fact its in game mode is irrelevant.

HDR mode is a fake HDR mode that should be avoided at all costs.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Eh? I think you're going to confuse people here. You are using HDR...the fact its in game mode is irrelevant.

HDR mode is a fake HDR mode that should be avoided at all costs.
I dont know how LG panels work, but on samsung I also have it set always on game mode, and the corresponding hdmi ports (xbox, ps4) set to always HDR mode,
so TV is always at game mode, and (only) when I fire up an HDR game I can see it automatically enables HDR in the info (adds "HDR" next to "UHD")
On samsung, not LG, there is a "HDR+" option that should be deactivated, that is to turn SDR to HDR.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I dont know how LG panels work, but on samsung I also have it set always on game mode, and the corresponding hdmi ports (xbox, ps4) set to always HDR mode,
so TV is always at game mode, and (only) when I fire up an HDR game I can see it automatically enables HDR in the info (adds "HDR" next to "UHD")
On samsung, not LG, there is a "HDR+" option that should be deactivated, that is to turn SDR to HDR.

Yep. Thats basically how it works on LG.

Set the HDMI port your console is on to "game". And select the SDR game mode preset. That gives you SDR game mode. When it switches to an HDR game it auto switches into HDR and LG have an HDR game mode preset for low latency.

As you say the HDR Effect mode on LG (a mode you can see in SDR) is just fake HDR like HDR+ on Samsungs.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's such a shame and ridiculous really. Wasn't this game on the list ever since that list appeared? It's definitely a game I still intend to get at one point as soon as I am fully done with MHW and have finished The Evil Within 2. Capcom or MS hasn't said anything about it since?

Seriously, Capcom just visited MS office and teased everyone with the damn finger meme once again..

How can they not care about RE7 X patch? There's something going on for sure.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When it goes into HDR mode though your TV will switch to HDR standard, Bright, vivid or game. So your mode does change when HDR kicks in. HDR game I assume is what you use?

I guess that's what you call it??

It says Game Mode in Input but when it detects HDR, the HDR logo flashes on the top right.

I have also adjusted some of the settings according to Rtings in Game Mode. Maybe that's why Forza Horizon 3 looks good?

There are some dark moments here and there, but when the sun hits, it literally goes through the TV.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess that's what you call it??

It says Game Mode in Input but when it detects HDR, the HDR logo flashes on the top right.

I have also adjusted some of the settings according to Rtings in Game Mode. Maybe that's why Forza Horizon 3 looks good?

There are some dark moments here and there, but when the sun hits, it literally goes through the TV.

When it switches to HDR bring up the TV menu and select the mode you want. There are a few HDR modes. It will remember this mode whenever it switches into HDR on this input. You can also tweak the settings too.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When it switches to HDR bring up the TV menu and select the mode you want. There are a few HDR modes. It will remember this mode whenever it switches into HDR on this input. You can also tweak the settings too.

I haven't even checked those settings yet. I guess I left them to default HDR then lol

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, Capcom just visited MS office and teased everyone with the damn finger meme once again..

How can they not care about RE7 X patch? There's something going on for sure.

Oh damn, forgot about their visit yeah. But didn't they also recently say that they didn't have any news on it or even that they had never promised it? Or am I now thinking of a different dev?

I've been saying previosuly, its being held back to implement vr support which microsoft will announceat e3. Occulus partnership.

Believe.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, forgot about their visit yeah. But didn't they also recently say that they didn't have any news on it or even that they had never promised it? Or am I now thinking of a different dev?

No, you are right. That's what they said recently. Who knows at this point?? Just a major letdown. RE7 was my top choice for the X when it was announced.

Nov 14, 2017
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I have a gaming PC (with a Saphire R9 380 4gb), a base PS4 and an Xbox One S.
I'm very interested in the X, but is it worth it paired with a 1080p display?

I was thinking about selling my R9 380 and the XB1S to buy an XB1X, since I play console much more these days than PC.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I have a gaming PC (with a Saphire R9 380 4gb), a base PS4 and an Xbox One S.

I was thinking about selling my R9 380 and the XB1S to buy an XB1X, since I play console much more these days than PC.

Short answer: Yes it is.

I would keep the 380 for the odd indie title that doesn't make it to Xbox/PS4.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was playing Mafia 3 last night when suddenly my screen went black for a second and my tv said no connection. It came right back though. Then ten minutes later the same thing. I restarted the system, my tv and my receiver and all seemed well for the 35 min I played after. Still, I'm worried. I'm using monoprice certified cables, about a month old. Sony 900E and Denon receiver. Been using this equipment for months without issue, and had my X since launch day.
Something similar happens to me. TV goes black, then back to normal, ten seconds later black again. I turn my TV on and off and everything's fine. No clue if it's a problem with the TV or the X.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yes, I know a couple of people who did the upgrade and the difference is pronounced.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017

All I have are 1080p TVs and the X was definitely worth it.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
AC Origins looks damn good on the X. As does Wolfenstein 2. Very impressed by the looks of both titles.

Nov 14, 2017
Short answer: Yes it is.

I would keep the 380 for the odd indie title that doesn't make it to Xbox/PS4.

Yes, I know a couple of people who did the upgrade and the difference is pronounced.

All I have are 1080p TVs and the X was definitely worth it.

Thank you guys, I'm going to sell the R9 380 and the S, then buy the X and a gt 1030 (used) so I can play the low end odd indie on PC as well.
The biggest reason for me to have a gaming PC, was to play last gen titles maxed out, but with the back compat on the Xbox One (and Metal Gear Rising), I don't feel like I need the PC platform anymore.

Also, do you guys think that a price drop for the X is possible on E3?

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Something similar happens to me. TV goes black, then back to normal, ten seconds later black again. I turn my TV on and off and everything's fine. No clue if it's a problem with the TV or the X.

I have an older Vizio 4k model and this happens only sometimes with the 4k/60 hdmi port. I'm pretty sure it is something with my tv because it does it with my Pro hooked into that port and my x.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Thank you guys, I'm going to sell the R9 380 and the S, then buy the X and a gt 1030 (used) so I can play the low end odd indie on PC as well.
The biggest reason for me to have a gaming PC, was to play last gen titles maxed out, but with the back compat on the Xbox One (and Metal Gear Rising), I don't feel like I need the PC platform anymore.

Also, do you guys think that a price drop for the X is possible on E3?

Alright, that sounds good.

E3 is too soon for a price drop, November would be a safe assumption.

Oct 29, 2017
This is the first game since owning my X for a week where I am having to decide which platform to buy it on. When I tried to search for info all it mentioned was how the Pro was the leading platform they were developing on and apparently they received the X units late or something. I want to see some tangible evidence of any differences though and hopefully we get a good comparison before release.
That does sound concerning but surely it can't be worse?

Oct 26, 2017
No, you are right. That's what they said recently. Who knows at this point?? Just a major letdown. RE7 was my top choice for the X when it was announced.

That's a goddamned shame man. This game would shine on the X with a proper patch. I wonder what MS would say when asked about this. I never use Twitter otherwise I'd ask the team, but then again I'm sure people have already asked that.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in FFXV royal edition. Hoping the XB1X delivers mostly in frame rate.

meanwhile if this hasn't been posted yet.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Holy crap what happened to Quantum Break, just fired it up again after the latest patch and it's just unplayable, screen tearing, bad frame rate, even audio issues which I imagine is because of the frame rate, I was on Act 3 Part 1 btw.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, who knows. Seems to be stuck in the same limbo as the Elex patch - zero communication about both of these and both went to 'coming soon' in the list around the same time many many months ago now. It's frustrating as hell.

The Elex patch is in certification. No clue why it's taking so long, though.

I have an older Vizio 4k model and this happens only sometimes with the 4k/60 hdmi port. I'm pretty sure it is something with my tv because it does it with my Pro hooked into that port and my x.

It might be your HDMI cable. Both my Pro and X did the same thing any time HDR and higher resolutions were used together until I bought some better cables.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Holy crap what happened to Quantum Break, just fired it up again after the latest patch and it's just unplayable, screen tearing, bad frame rate, even audio issues which I imagine is because of the frame rate, I was on Act 3 Part 1 btw.

I think that game is just destined to be a technical shit show on every platform.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really disappointing to hear. I was so hopeful this final patch would get it right.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried Quantum Break, Act 3, Part 1 to be specifically. It might be on your end because it runs quite smoothly on my X. Maybe try do a hard reset? (Hold the power button for 30 seconds then unplug external HDD. Boot it back up, hook in external HDD again).

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You must play a different game than me. I have none of this issues. Maybe time to hard reset your One X?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fine on my end

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
What the fuck....

Fired up Crackdown, and all of a sudden the performance tanks like hell, insane really. This was in co op though. Took a while to get straightened out. It was like it was running in slow motion too. It's fine now, but that was odd.
Happened to me too, game went down to like 3FPS for a solid minute then sorted itself out.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017

Plays fine for me(finished tonight) but I did start a new game after last weeks patch. I did get screen tearing during some cutscenes.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just tried Quantum Break, Act 3, Part 1 to be specifically. It might be on your end because it runs quite smoothly on my X. Maybe try do a hard reset? (Hold the power button for 30 seconds then unplug external HDD. Boot it back up, hook in external HDD again).

You must play a different game than me. I have none of this issues. Maybe time to hard reset your One X?

Pretty fine on my end

Plays fine for me(finished tonight) but I did start a new game after last weeks patch. I did get screen tearing during some cutscenes.
Might be less sensitive to these things? I booted up the game after the latest patch and played for only a small while and yet I saw lots and lots of screen tearing and framerate drops. Can't say I would like to play it like that, I imagine this is the last patch they'll release as well.