• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that they introduced a dynamic resolution in this version alone. Seems like it was a (relatively) easy way to keep performance stable.
It's also possible I was just mistaken with my initial counts. I used very short edges due to the compression, so the differential between the two results is only 1 or 2 pixels. I've continued to count more screenshots, and all of them have been 3200x1800. Even if the game is dynamic, it seems to typically run higher than I first found.

That said, those other screenshots also seem to contain more artifacts suggesting CBR. This one especially has stippling in places that look like reconstruction problems. They could still be due to other graphical effects like lighting, but that seems increasingly less likely. My best guess now is that Andromeda runs at 1800c on One X.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Planning on picking up Vampyr on BF. Is there really no info on how it was enhanced for X? Was it even enhanced? Didn't see anything for the Pro either.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Planning on picking up Vampyr on BF. Is there really no info on how it was enhanced for X? Was it even enhanced? Didn't see anything for the Pro either.

The game is marked as enhanced on both platforms. I know the Pro version runs at 1080p with a combination of medium and mostly high settings. Not sure about the 1X but I can do a pixel count tomorrow after work and let you know what I find out.

Edit:

Here is NX gamers analysis of the PS4/Pro and PC version.

https://youtu.be/A14JUt9xKcw

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Try as I might I could never find any information on Vampyr. As Kage Maru said, Microsoft lists it in their X Enhanced list, so it has to have something different when running on the system. I just wish I knew what that is. Haha!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders looks super clean on Xbox One X:

31924584738_3fd0ef2f22_o.png

43978880590_33c0457898_o.png

43978880450_05733f1837_o.png

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't wait to revisit this game. I had so much fun with it when it first came out. How are the glitches? Are they still giving trouble?

I had one glitch early on, where I would reach a portal that would normally send you to a loading screen, but instead my Xbox just straight up shut off, to the point that the only way to turn it back was to physically unplug it and then plug it back in. This happened twice, but I'm about 8 hours in now and I haven't had a single issue since then. I know someone else here shared some audio glitches but my audio's been perfect.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the 1X but I can do a pixel count tomorrow after work and let you know what I find out.
Good luck! This is one of the softest games I've seen, with CA and film grain and even an effect that intentionally breaks up edges into painterly flocking. There's a desaturated "vampire vision" mode that may be easier to count.

As Kage Maru said, Microsoft lists it in their X Enhanced list, so it has to have something different when running on the system.
Texture expression is improved on One X versus Pro, though it doesn't really look like different textures. I believe the increased clarity is due to higher resolution. Hints of this can also be seen on more stable thin geometry in the distance. I haven't tried to fully analyze the One X version, though.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible I was just mistaken with my initial counts. I used very short edges due to the compression, so the differential between the two results is only 1 or 2 pixels. I've continued to count more screenshots, and all of them have been 3200x1800. Even if the game is dynamic, it seems to typically run higher than I first found.

That said, those other screenshots also seem to contain more artifacts suggesting CBR. This one especially has stippling in places that look like reconstruction problems. They could still be due to other graphical effects like lighting, but that seems increasingly less likely. My best guess now is that Andromeda runs at 1800c on One X.

I don't know how I missed this before. Was looking into this yesterday and while it could be using CBR, the stippling isn't a clear sign of it because BF1 on the PC also has the same type of artifacts and that version doesn't use reconstruction. However on the other end, we know that CBR is being used in Anthem. So really it could be either. In theory, the game shouldn't need it to reach 1800p, the 1X has more than enough power to quadruple the resolution without any reconstruction needed, but the artifacts do raise questions. It's in instances like this that I wish there was more transparency or details with patch notes.

Good luck! This is one of the softest games I've seen, with CA and film grain and even an effect that intentionally breaks up edges into painterly flocking. There's a desaturated "vampire vision" mode that may be easier to count.

Yeah that's the impression I also got in the short time I played. It does have a very aggressive TAA implementation. Thanks for the tip on the vampire vision.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the late follow up shinobi602, got home later than expected. Did a count for Vampyr on the 1X and it's being rendered at 1080p, just like the Pro version. Also just like the Pro version, it suffers from frame pacing issues, so I wanted you to be aware of that in case you're sensitive to slight stuttering at times. The gameplay doesn't require good frame timing, so it hasn't hindered my enjoyment even though it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl to me. Not sure how the individual settings stack up since I don't have any other version to compare it to.

Hope that all helps though.

Might get BF5 on Xbox since it runs like garbage on my 1070/6600 even at 1080p.

Really? I was thinking of double dipping for the PC if I really enjoyed the game but I don't think my 1070/2700x set up would provide much more performance than your rig.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for the late follow up shinobi602, got home later than expected. Did a count for Vampyr on the 1X and it's being rendered at 1080p, just like the Pro version. Also just like the Pro version, it suffers from frame pacing issues, so I wanted you to be aware of that in case you're sensitive to slight stuttering at times. The gameplay doesn't require good frame timing, so it hasn't hindered my enjoyment even though it sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl to me. Not sure how the individual settings stack up since I don't have any other version to compare it to.

Hope that all helps though.

Really? I was thinking of double dipping for the PC if I really enjoyed the game but I don't think my 1070/2700x set up would provide much more performance than your rig.

Apparently some people with 6600k CPUs are having better luck than me. I have to do some more tweaking I guess, at 1080p Ultra it was running at 50-60fps in Conquest mode.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry looked at MEA and it looks like you were right Liabe Brave, it uses CBR. At least they use the additional GPU resources to slightly improve the AO and shadow quality. Based on their video, it also looks like SSR are also improved. Frame rate is also better than before. All in all, it does seem to be a decent patch in the end.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Digital Foundry looked at MEA and it looks like you were right Liabe Brave, it uses CBR. At least they use the additional GPU resources to slightly improve the AO and shadow quality. Based on their video, it also looks like SSR are also improved. Frame rate is also better than before. All in all, it does seem to be a decent patch in the end.
They didn't mention this but it also looks like it has better texture filtering as well if you look at the ground textures.

I went between both versions again recently and overall the X version holds up very well & with more benefits since it does have better performance.

Deleted member 59

I've been tempted by ME:A for ages, the patch and it's performance improvement will likely have me jumping in over Christmas.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for a native resolution considering the power gap.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So how are people finding RDR2 on the 1X?

Most of the time it's fantastic but I'm actually finding weird FPS drops a times, especially indoors when there are volumetric god rays. Not really locked 30fps 99% of the time like I was led to believe. The volumetric lighting also looks pretty low resolution and sticks out like a sore thumb.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Most of the time it's fantastic but I'm actually finding weird FPS drops a times, especially indoors when there are volumetric god rays. Not really locked 30fps 99% of the time like I was led to believe. The volumetric lighting also looks pretty low resolution and sticks out like a sore thumb.

The volumetric lighting is the same issue I have. It looks really ugly and low resolution.

The image also looks surprisingly soft at times. Anyone else have that? Chapter 1 in the snow felt that way a decent amount during the day, but looked amazing at night.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
Has there there been any word about possible One X enhancements for the Spyro Reignited Trilogy? It's showing on the official Xbox enhanced list but with no details available.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Have you tried a full shit down? I don't recall seeing drops like that indoors. Then again I hardly spend any time indoors, so I may not be the best source.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It certainly drops frames on the X. There's a quest where you're chasing a little magician and he's spawning colourful clouds and it was pretty rough. Lots of indoors hurt it too. There's a very nice shop where you go and meet a guy you'd met at a party and that buckled notably.

It's not too bad though, all things considered. Had some really buggy AO/shadow stuff though.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing RDR2 on a 1080p TV and it seems very stable at that resolution. (It also looks fantastic downsampled)

Does playing it at 1080p possibly improve the framerate?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

It drops every time I enter a town, and more so when I enter a shop or saloon.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
BFV on X

X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2844x1600. Both consoles appear to be using a form of checkerboard rendering to reach the stated resolutions.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
Any info about Spyro Reignited Trilogy regarding resolution and framerate? Can't find anything online.

I don't think the X enhanced patch is available to dl yet. I have the game installed via digital preorder and the base size is only 42 gb...a far cry from the 60+ gb that the ps4 is seeing for it's disc version. Likely today or tomorrow the patch will drop.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The volumetric lighting is the same issue I have. It looks really ugly and low resolution.

The image also looks surprisingly soft at times. Anyone else have that? Chapter 1 in the snow felt that way a decent amount during the day, but looked amazing at night.

Softness is from the fog and excess bloom. I haven't seen many people mention the low resolution volumetric lighting though, can't even remember DF saying anything in the analysis. I'm only running at 1080p but whenever there are a lot of god rays on screen it looks pretty awful.

Have you tried a full shit down? I don't recall seeing drops like that indoors. Then again I hardly spend any time indoors, so I may not be the best source.

Hard reset definitely doesn't fix it.

It drops every time I enter a town, and more so when I enter a shop or saloon.

Pretty much plus also other random slowdowns in the open world. Some feel like glitches rather than actual performance issues due to heavy load though. Indoors is the worst though. Your room in the chapter 4 camp literally runs at like 20fps every time you first enter it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Softness is from the fog and excess bloom. I haven't seen many people mention the low resolution volumetric lighting though, can't even remember DF saying anything in the analysis. I'm only running at 1080p but whenever there are a lot of god rays on screen it looks pretty awful

Ah I see - I must be using the wrong terminology. It's the bloom and god rays that look awful then. I was pretty shocked at how soft and low resolution it looks. It really stands out against an otherwise beautiful game. Not sure if you have played Skyrim on PS4 or Xbox One, but I have the same issue there.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly drops frames on the X. There's a quest where you're chasing a little magician and he's spawning colourful clouds and it was pretty rough. Lots of indoors hurt it too. There's a very nice shop where you go and meet a guy you'd met at a party and that buckled notably.

It's not too bad though, all things considered. Had some really buggy AO/shadow stuff though.

Yeah I get them occasionally and did during the mission you mentioned. It's pretty rare though, it's usually plays.......magnifico!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Oh yes, running through the colored clouds let the FPS tank pretty hard.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I didn't think I would re-encounter that annoying as hell shrill audio bug in Mass effect Andromeda across systems from ps4 to xbox and through several updates. The amount of times I run into it, you think it would have been something common and they would have tackled it before dropping support of the game.

I'm generally happy at how it looks on my X aside from the insanely small LoD line popping folliage and grass feet from you that I assume is a hold out from the base One versions. I didn't remember it being this bad on ps4

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Pretty much plus also other random slowdowns in the open world. Some feel like glitches rather than actual performance issues due to heavy load though. Indoors is the worst though. Your room in the chapter 4 camp literally runs at like 20fps every time you first enter it.

I don't get many slow downs in the wilderness, but yeah indoor drops are the worst and I've the same issue in the
swamp camp

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Man, I didn't think I would re-encounter that annoying as hell shrill audio bug in Mass effect Andromeda across systems from ps4 to xbox and through several updates. The amount of times I run into it, you think it would have been something common and they would have tackled it before dropping support of the game.

I'm generally happy at how it looks on my X aside from the insanely small LoD line popping folliage and grass feet from you that I assume is a hold out from the base One versions. I didn't remember it being this bad on ps4
What's the audio bug?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That's disappointing. More and more, it seems like they should have implemented a dynamic resolution on all versions.

They could have but to be honest they were better off with native 4K and some minor dips once in a while. The end result is mostly fine, it just isn't locked 30fps 24/7 outside of big towns like I was led to believe. The low resolution god rays is actually more annoying to me and that never even got brought up.

To put it into perspective AC Odyssey's performance issues are much worse.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I checked the OP and a few pages back, and didn't see anything. Does anyone know how World of Final Fantasy is enhanced? It's digital only here so I had to order a copy from Amazon US. It won't be here for a week and a half, so I was wondering.