• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Yes. Much much less.

edit: much much much MUCH less.

Ok, thanks. I still haven't played this, but really want to. Own it for Switch as I like the idea of being able to play in both docked and handheld, but the aggressive pop-in on the Switch version is the only thing that has me considering playing elsewhere... hard trade-off though... less pop-in vs. play in handheld in bed at end of the night...

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, thanks. I still haven't played this, but really want to. Own it for Switch as I like the idea of being able to play in both docked and handheld, but the aggressive pop-in on the Switch version is the only thing that has me considering playing elsewhere... hard trade-off though... less pop-in vs. play in handheld in bed at end of the night...
Use remote play :)

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Actually I also tested Death of the Outsider, same case as Dishonored 2 - crashes after pressing the button in the main menu with hearable hang in sound.... :\

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I also tested Death of the Outsider, same case as Dishonored 2 - crashes after pressing the button in the main menu with hearable hang in sound.... :\
I fired up Dishonored 2 shortly after the Series X|S came out and didn't have any problems. I tried again just now, after seeing your post, and was able to play Dishonored 2 without issue. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game?

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
I fired up Dishonored 2 shortly after the Series X|S came out and didn't have any problems. I tried again just now, after seeing your post, and was able to play Dishonored 2 without issue. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game?
Yeah, i did... I'll make a video of the issue - i just uninstalled the game again, lol

Makhx

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
There was some talk about Gears of War Ultimate Edition and Fallout 4 running 60fps on Series X, any news on that?

Played through GoW Ultimate Edition for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was (sadly...) still only 30fps. Also the whole game had a very weird glitch where it changed resolution and brightness every few seconds... Very annoying :(

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Tried a few games that had performance issues on XBO to see how they fare on the XSX:

- Supraland - locked 60, flawless performance. (Don't be put off by the janky intro which is a pre-recorded video.)
- Ion Fury - locked 60, flawless performance.
- Crash 4 - locked 60, flawless performance.
There was some talk about Gears of War Ultimate Edition and Fallout 4 running 60fps on Series X, any news on that?
No news yet sadly. Been pretty quiet regarding the BC res and framerate boosts.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i did... I'll make a video of the issue - i just uninstalled the game again, lol
I don't see how it would matter, but it's worth asking: what storage is Dishonored 2 on? I have mine on an external USB hard drive.

Those both are incoming patches, but no new news on when they will drop.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
I don't see how it would matter, but it's worth asking: what storage is Dishonored 2 on? I have mine on an external USB hard drive.
Actually I tried on the internal drive, maybe that's the problem? I'll reinstall this evening and record a video, can't get around to it since i'm at work ;)

Those both are incoming patches, but no new news on when they will drop.

Actually I tried on the internal drive, maybe that's the problem? I'll reinstall this evening and record a video, can't get around to it since i'm at work ;)

Here's the video - I just re-installed this game, same thing happens. Internal storage.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Here's the video - I just re-installed this game, same thing happens. Internal storage.

Have you tried making sure the game isnt suspended by making sure that after its exited you click on the game and make sure quit isnt there as an option? Also following that ,switching off instant on, shutting down the console fully. Powering off at mains for 2minutes, then switching on mains, turning on xbox and trying? At least then it would eliminate any residue state of the game and or console.

After that I would be wondering if its anything to do with a previous profile/save state of the game i.e ensure you have cleared any profile save data for it. Perhaps ensure your console is set as home console too.

Hope that helps. I may just download it and see if it works my end too.

EDIT: ok I've just booted it and its fine my end. However the point at which you crash is when it syncs profile data.

Last edited:

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Have you tried making sure the game isnt suspended by making sure that after its exited you click on the game and make sure quit isnt there as an option? Also following that ,switching off instant on, shutting down the console fully. Powering off at mains for 2minutes, then switching on mains, turning on xbox and trying? At least then it would eliminate any residue state of the game and or console.

After that I would be wondering if its anything to do with a previous profile/save state of the game i.e ensure you have cleared any profile save data for it. Perhaps ensure your console is set as home console too.

Hope that helps. I may just download it and see if it works my end too.

EDIT: ok I've just booted it and its fine my end. However the point at which you crash is when it syncs profile data.

ok, i tried to remove all of the saved data - both from the cloud and locally, the console is set as the home console. Also i turned it off completely, pulled the power cord for about 2 minutes, reconnected - same thing... LOL. I don't use anything like quick resume, always full shutdowns. Also i tried and removing the DLC for it with the Imperial weapons, still the same, signed out of the account and tried to play without one, still forces me to sign in - so i did, keeps crashing at this whole profile sync, even if you remove the saves from both local and online storage...

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I started playing Gears Tactics a couple days ago, and if I'm being honest, if this is one of MS's first party's optimizing their game for Series X, I'm not very blown away, and may even be a little worried. It runs, mostly, pretty smooth, but I have had a couple glitches where I have had to restart from a checkpoint, and I also feel like, when enemies are coming in from off screen that the frame rate looks like it takes a hit. The problem for me though, is the load times. They aren't horrendous, probably 10-15 seconds (I didn't actually count) to get into a given mission, but that still seems like too much based on what I'm hearing about games like Miles Morales on PS5, and the fact that you need to load into a mission every time you want to start a mission. I want to chalk it up to, "well, it wasn't built from the ground up for Series X", but you could say the same thing about Miles. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, and I'm sure the load times on XB1 must be much longer, but it just feels like, for this type of game, from a MS first party, on this hardware, I shouldn't have to deal with loading screens for every mission.

All that said, given the length of these missions and the nature of the gameplay, this is a great Quick Resume game. I didn't realize how long the last mission I started last night was going to take, and I didn't want to risk exiting out and losing progress, even though I really needed to go to bed, but then I remembered "screw it, just back out to the home screen, and even if I start up another game tomorrow and forget about Gears Tactics for a week I'll be able to hit resume and be right back on the same turn I was on."

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with the following additions/modifications. Please note, for Cyberpunk I simply copied The Witcher 3's information until we can get a good technical analysis.

A Way Out
Series X/One X
Favor Resolution: 1440p​
Favor Performance: 1080p​
Call of Duty: Warzone
Series S
120Hz: 1080p Dyn (1920x1080-960x1080, 120fps-80fps)​
60Hz: 1080p, 60fps​
Series X
120Hz: 2160p Dyn (3840x2160-1920x2160, 120fps-80fps)​
60Hz: 2160p, 60fps​
16x AF, increased grass draw distance.​
One X
2160p Dyn (3840x2160-1920x2160)​
HDR
VRR
atmosnvjhf.png

Call of the Sea
Series S
1080p​
Series X
2160p, 60fps w/drops​
One X
UNKNOWN​
Cyberpunk 2077
Series X/One X
4K: 2160p Dyn (2160p-1800p), 30fps​
Enhanced shadows, textures, texture filtering, and AO.​
Performance: 1332p Dyn (1332p-1080p), 60fps​
Enhanced shadows (less than 4K's), textures, texture filtering (less than 4K's), and AO.​
HDR
Destiny 2
Series S
1080p, 60fps​
Series X
2160p, 60fps​
120Hz Crucible: UNKNOWN, 120fps​
"lowers resolution, and lowers some advanced graphics settings upon entering a Crucible match."​
One X
2160p​
HDR
Neon Chrome Overseer Edition
Series S
1080p, 120fps​
Series X
2160p, 120fps​
One X
2160p​
Sleepin' Deeply
Series X/One X
2160p​
HDR
Tesla vs Lovecraft Game of the Year Edition
Series S
1080p, 120fps​
Series X
2160p, 120fps​
One X
2160p​

I can vouch I have been in-game stealthing around and knocking people out without issue. Again, though, that's with the game on an external drive.

Do you have the ability to test that?

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
I've updated the OP with the following additions/modifications. Please note, for Cyberpunk I simply copied The Witcher 3's information until we can get a good technical analysis.

A Way Out
Series X/One X
Favor Resolution: 1440p​
Favor Performance: 1080p​
Call of Duty: Warzone
Series S
120Hz: 1080p Dyn (1920x1080-960x1080, 120fps-80fps)​
60Hz: 1080p, 60fps​
Series X
120Hz: 2160p Dyn (3840x2160-1920x2160, 120fps-80fps)​
60Hz: 2160p, 60fps​
16x AF, increased grass draw distance.​
One X
2160p Dyn (3840x2160-1920x2160)​
HDR
VRR
atmosnvjhf.png

Call of the Sea
Series S
1080p​
Series X
2160p, 60fps w/drops​
One X
UNKNOWN​
Cyberpunk 2077
Series X/One X
4K: 2160p Dyn (2160p-1800p), 30fps​
Enhanced shadows, textures, texture filtering, and AO.​
Performance: 1332p Dyn (1332p-1080p), 60fps​
Enhanced shadows (less than 4K's), textures, texture filtering (less than 4K's), and AO.​
HDR
Destiny 2
Series S
1080p, 60fps​
Series X
2160p, 60fps​
120Hz Crucible: UNKNOWN, 120fps​
"lowers resolution, and lowers some advanced graphics settings upon entering a Crucible match."​
One X
2160p​
HDR
Neon Chrome Overseer Edition
Series S
1080p, 120fps​
Series X
2160p, 120fps​
One X
2160p​
Sleepin' Deeply
Series X/One X
2160p​
HDR
Tesla vs Lovecraft Game of the Year Edition
Series S
1080p, 120fps​
Series X
2160p, 120fps​
One X
2160p​

I can vouch I have been in-game stealthing around and knocking people out without issue. Again, though, that's with the game on an external drive.

Yeah - thanks, i'll try later today :D

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Is Call of the Sea 30 fps on one S and/or series S?

I've been playing up to chapter 2 (so prologue plus chapter 1) on one X and it is 60 fps, with very little drops it seems. Doesn't look particularly high resolution though, I'm guessing just 1080p, and there are a lot of textures made of giant pixels. But it feels nice to play.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

As I pointed out, going by his video it appears to crash at the point where the game syncs profile data. Why would that be because of the hard drive its installed on? I'm asking as I know you have far greater technical knowledge than myself. Thanks.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

I've been playing up to chapter 2 (so prologue plus chapter 1) on one X and it is 60 fps, with very little drops it seems. Doesn't look particularly high resolution though, I'm guessing just 1080p, and there are a lot of textures made of giant pixels. But it feels nice to play.
I asked this same question in the Call of the Sea thread and hadn't gotten answer yet. If anyone can share this info, that would be greatly appreciated!

As I pointed out, going by his video it appears to crash at the point where the game syncs profile data. Why would that be because of the hard drive its installed on? I'm asking as I know you have far greater technical knowledge than myself. Thanks.
RE: Bold/Underlined
I wouldn't go that far... 😋

I'm just going through troubleshooting motions to try and isolate where the issue may lie. If at that step, the game is trying to load the save tied to the profile, then tandeciarz , I think you've done all you could, outside of trying the game on another Xbox Series X signed in as yourself.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I literally cannot tell the difference in resolution between these two modes.

I'm not a framerate person AT ALL, 30fps is always fine for me, in everything I've played. I played Yakuza 7 in 1440p/60fps but I could clearly see the difference in clarity between the 1440p mode and 4K mode.

On Fallen order though I honestly can't see the difference, If you told me the 1080p/60 mode was in 4K I'd believe you.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I believe Witcher 3 is currently running at 1800p on Series X in performance mode with no dips. This was mentioned in an XboxEra video. But I've tested it around Novigrad and its definitely at a higher res than the 1332p on x1x. Not tested it in crookback bog though.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

I asked this same question in the Call of the Sea thread and hadn't gotten answer yet. If anyone can share this info, that would be greatly appreciated!

I can confirm Call of the Sea is 60FPS (or at least, appears to be; it's definitely not 30) on Series S. I have a One S I can also test out but I need to hook it up.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

Looks like the drops in Call of the Sea are pretty minor. Hopefully they iron them out in a patch.

Though not completely fixed, yesterday's Call of the Sea patch increased performance quite noticeably. I had a save in Chapter 3 and pre-patch it dropped frame rate no matter which direction I looked. Post-patch it was near flawless in the same area.

There's still frame rate issues, no doubt about it, but it is at least improved.

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any eta on the outer worlds series x patch? It was announced earlier this year with the expansion packs but I can't find any information about when

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
A Way Out
Series X/One X
Favor Resolution: 1440p
Favor Performance: 1080p

Just like to chime in and say the 1080p mode is 60fps and the 1440p is 30. I'm guessing the base XB1 is just 30 and no choice of framerate.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how does Code Vein perform on the X1X?

Also, wasn't Pillars of Eternity 2 enhanced? I don't see it on the list, I thought the first one wasn't but the second was.

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control is showing as series X | S enhanced on my system.

Downloading that version now. Thought it was supposed to be 2021

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017

Judging by this little test, Its 60 on Series S

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cold War is a damn mess on Xbox. So at launch it was basically perfect, looked and ran great in campaign and multiplayer as shown in DF's video. Then it got a patch that made performance with RT on terrible, and introduced crashing with RT on and the game also randomly locks to 30FPS until you restart the game sometimes. Two patches since and the crashing is fixed but the performance isn't and neither is the 30FPS bug. Now in today's patch the HDR has been seemingly broken with raised blacks, so everything that was black is now grey. AFAIK this was always a problem in the menus but it was fine in gameplay, now the game looks terrible on an OLED. I was halfway through the campaign when the patch came out that broke RT and I just want to finish the game. Is there a single release from the end of this year that isn't broken in some way? Honest question. Feel like every game I've bought for my Series X I'm just waiting for patches to fix except for Yakuza.

Edit: The raised blacks my have been from the Xbox HDR app resetting settings. So tired of bugs from this new gen already.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Cold War is a damn mess on Xbox. So at launch it was basically perfect, looked and ran great in campaign and multiplayer as shown in DF's video. Then it got a patch that made performance with RT on terrible, and introduced crashing with RT on and the game also randomly locks to 30FPS until you restart the game sometimes. Two patches since and the crashing is fixed but the performance isn't and neither is the 30FPS bug. Now in today's patch the HDR has been seemingly broken with raised blacks, so everything that was black is now grey. AFAIK this was always a problem in the menus but it was fine in gameplay, now the game looks terrible on an OLED. I was halfway through the campaign when the patch came out that broke RT and I just want to finish the game. Is there a single release from the end of this year that isn't broken in some way? Honest question. Feel like every game I've bought for my Series X I'm just waiting for patches to fix except for Yakuza.

Edit: The raised blacks my have been from the Xbox HDR app resetting settings. So tired of bugs from this new gen already.

Bummer Black Ops has had so many issues. I'd highly recommend Gears 5 and the Hivebusters DLC, it looks phenomenal on Series X. I've also been playing AC Valhalla, Tetris Effect, Call of the Sea, Rogue Company, Gears Tactics, and Watch Dogs Legion without major issues so far. I've also been having an awesome time playing the Series X/S patches for Destiny 2, Borderlands 3, and Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4, Vermintide II, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and those run and play amazing. Skyrim also running and looks great with the 60fps mod, and other mods added on.

I could definitely see people being bummed out if they bought Black OPs, or Cyberpunk though.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with the following. I tried real hard to find info on Morkredd and came up empty-handed. Going by its Xbox Store page, I'd believe it's 120fps on at least one of the Series systems. However, I'm not going to make a blind guess.

Calico
Series X/One X
2160p​
HDR
Elemental War TD
Series X/One X
2160p​
HDR
VRR
Fortnite
Series S
120Hz: 1080p, 120fps
60Hz: 1440p, 60fps
"Will support most of the visual enhancements available on the Series X."​
Series X
120Hz: 1440p, 120fps
60Hz: 2160p, 60fps
"Grass and trees responding to explosions, enhanced fluid simulations for smoke and liquid (cooler-looking smoke and liquid effects), and all-new Storm and cloud effects."​
One X
2160p Dyn (uses temporal upsampling)
Battle Royale: 1728-1152p (1440p avg), 60fps w/drops
Increased textures, shadows, foliage, AO, lighting, AF.
Save the World: UNKNOWN, ~30-40fps uncapped
Framerate selectable.​
Morkredd
Series S
UNKNOWN​
Series X
UNKNOWN​
One X
UNKNOWN​
HDR
My Hidden Things
Series X/One X
2160p​
Panzer Dragoon: Remake
Series X/One X
2160p​
HDR

A Way Out
Series X/One X
Favor Resolution: 1440p
Favor Performance: 1080p

Just like to chime in and say the 1080p mode is 60fps and the 1440p is 30. I'm guessing the base XB1 is just 30 and no choice of framerate.
Does the game have an unlocked framerate on the One X? I completed a 3-hour run of A Way Out with a friend on the Series X and it was 60fps in Resolution Mode, no doubt.

I'm frustrated about Cold War, too. However, I'm willing to give leeway, considering the pandemic and the game proceeded by 2 major holidays. But, then again, it is Activision...

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never played Skyrim on the Xbox, but seems the game has a bunch of mods you can add that include "graphical enhancements" and one even claiming to unlock the framerate.

Do any of them actually work?

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Skyrim on the Xbox, but seems the game has a bunch of mods you can add that include "graphical enhancements" and one even claiming to unlock the framerate.

www.resetera.com

Revisiting Skyrim on Xbox Series X - Mods and Load Order.

To preface, I also play Skyrim on PC which according to my Steam gameplay time is is a tad just under 700 hours give or take, I'd say a good 100 of those hours was spend mucking around in the Nexus Mod Manager, BOSS / LOOT, Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash and so forth. So I also find enjoyment in...

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Yes. There are a ton of mods that you can make the game look pretty great....but the best is the 60fps mod. But when you use mod's it disables achievements...with the exception of the 60fps mod. There is a trick where you download the mod, activate it, start a game and make a save. Then quit the game. Reload the game and deactivate the mod. You then start your save and it keeps the 60fps but also allows achievements.

There was thread that probably explains it better....I will look and post the link for it for you.

edit: Here is the thread with the step-by-step on doing the 60fps mod and still have achievements.

Skyrim Special Edition hits Game Pass today and, PSA, console players can use the 60fps mod without disabling achievements. Instructions within! | ResetEra

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. There are a ton of mods that you can make the game look pretty great....but the best is the 60fps mod. But when you use mod's it disables achievements...with the exception of the 60fps mod. There is a trick where you download the mod, activate it, start a game and make a save. Then quit the game. Reload the game and deactivate the mod. You then start your save and it keeps the 60fps but also allows achievements.

There was thread that probably explains it better....I will look and post the link for it for you.

edit: Here is the thread with the step-by-step on doing the 60fps mod and still have achievements.

Skyrim Special Edition hits Game Pass today and, PSA, console players can use the 60fps mod without disabling achievements. Instructions within! | ResetEra

Thanks, though that was going to be my next question: let's say you play through the game with all these mods on, which has the achievements turned off.

If I turn all the mods off and load up that same save, will the achievements then pop all at once?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, though that was going to be my next question: let's say you play through the game with all these mods on, which has the achievements turned off.

If I turn all the mods off and load up that same save, will the achievements then pop all at once?
No they won't pop because the mod is active when you would of earned it. I wish it worked that way honestly, but it does not.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017

Thank you for this, I was aware that mods disabled achievements so hadn't dived back in but the fact I can now play 60 and unlock achievements is brilliant.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Ooohhh man, thanks!!! Can't wait to dig back in! Love that game!

Upgrade is generous term. All they have said is they are uncapping the frame rate from 30. Nothing about changing sliders to make it a closer match the PC version sadly. The game is a stunner, but by the time that upgrade cones out the game will be in maintenance mode. It's unlikely it gets meaningful support after the end of this season. Especially with those player numbers.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Upgrade is generous term. All they have said is they are uncapping the frame rate from 30. Nothing about changing sliders to make it a closer match the PC version sadly. The game is a stunner, but by the time that upgrade cones out the game will be in maintenance mode. It's unlikely it gets meaningful support after the end of this season. Especially with those player numbers.
I see! I'm happy enough with that though! Game at least has a FOV slider from before too.