• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
For HDMI-CEC stuff, is there a way to remotely turn the Xbox on using that without turning it on literally every time the TV activates? Like activation when the correct HDMI channel is currently being displayed on the TV (either just switched to, or turned on and directly to that correct channel)?

Short of a universal remote, obviously which can map multiple functions to whatever. I'm a big fan currently of "Xbox On" with Kinect that won't exist anymore, but I'm not installing a google or amazon bullshit speaker just to retain that functionality.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the official media remote is sold out everywhere in Australia. Do we know if they're going to make an updated remote?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I already thought the leap from the original Xbox One to the Xbox One X was a triumph for their hardware designers but damn, they went absolutely crazy for the Series X|S. Just brilliant design decisions across the board.

Barring any launch day catastrophes, this is a benchmark for hardware design in the console space.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone: I didn't know the bind button was an IR receiver.

Me: I din't know the IR receiver was a bind button.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hdmi in was awesome and I don't care that like 5% of people used it. Glad this was saved at least

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
For HDMI-CEC stuff, is there a way to remotely turn the Xbox on using that without turning it on literally every time the TV activates? Like activation when the correct HDMI channel is currently being displayed on the TV (either just switched to, or turned on and directly to that correct channel)?

Short of a universal remote, obviously which can map multiple functions to whatever. I'm a big fan currently of "Xbox On" with Kinect that won't exist anymore, but I'm not installing a google or amazon bullshit speaker just to retain that functionality.
Well have to wait to see the settings. My nvidia shield let's me choose when it should turn on and off through cec

Nov 8, 2017
Well have to wait to see the settings. My nvidia shield let's me choose when it should turn on and off through cec

Hmmm. I don't even know what I want it to do, exactly.

I guess I'll probably need to bite the bullet and drop stacks of money on a universal remote? I want to be able to use just the TV remote to turn on the TV/console and navigate, but without the annoyance of having false positives where I turn it on, and it automatically turns on the xbox, but I actually want to play the Switch or the Playstation.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm. I don't even know what I want it to do, exactly.

I guess I'll probably need to bite the bullet and drop stacks of money on a universal remote? I want to be able to use just the TV remote to turn on the TV/console and navigate, but without the annoyance of having false positives where I turn it on, and it automatically turns on the xbox, but I actually want to play the Switch or the Playstation.
I think you would just have to manually turn on the Xbox, and turn off the power functions of CEC. But really, you should look into a universal remote. I don't know how I would live without my Logitech Harmony remotes. Love them

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. i swear by my Logitech Harmony IR remote. if I can still use it, that's fantastic. I was disappointed to lose the optical port, but this is good news.

Nov 8, 2017
I think you would just have to manually turn on the Xbox, and turn off the power functions of CEC. But really, you should look into a universal remote. I don't know how I would live without my Logitech Harmony remotes. Love them

It seems like my options are this ugly ass remote for 100 or some kind of harmony hub bundle for 500 dollars (Aus). Ooofffff.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
I ordered a PDP Talon yesterday and noticed them mentioning support. Which is nice.

I started using my Xbox One S for DVD's and Blu-Rays a couple of days ago when I realized that my standalone Blu-Ray player makes DVD's look worse than they should with weird blocky sharpening.

Now if only Xbox One had stretch zoom for the couple of non-anamorphic DVDs that I have. The 360 player has a bunch of stretch and zoom options. And yes, I watch old discs like a caveman.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

Strange not to have this feature and surely it will be updated...

Google are weirdly restrictive with HDR YouTube support. My LG TV version of the app works with it, but the NVidia Shield doesn't.

Apple TV just got 4k YouTube support and still has no HDR too. Basically don't hold your breath.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Google are weirdly restrictive with HDR YouTube support. My LG TV version of the app works with it, but the NVidia Shield doesn't.

Apple TV just got 4k YouTube support and still has no HDR too. Basically don't hold your breath.

It's about decoding support for their vp9.2 codec to get HDR. Some devices don't support it like Shield and Apple TV. That's on those manufacturers. Even a cheap Roku or Fire TV stick supports it. I'm not sure if that's the case for Xbox though. It could be that the app just needs to be updated. However the Youtube app on my PS4 Pro works just fine with 4k HDR, though that update didn't happen until much later after the system launched.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Does the PS4 have HDMI-CEC? I've noticed my PS4 seems to control my TV, but I always thought it was because I have a Sony TV. I'm probably just being stupid. Anyway, the more I learn about the Xbox Series consoles, the more excited I am about my XSX preorder. The 10th can't come soon enough.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ohey that's neat. My friends use a remote with their xbox all the time and may upgrade in a couple years. They'd absolutely want to use their remote.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
It was more to head off any comments/questions like "Yea...but what about Series S"
😆

Thanks to you and the rest of the Xbox team for the transparency on the new Xbox consoles! It's been so nice to have a steady stream of information. The wait is still nearly unbearable, but the communication helps ease it just a little. 😋

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does the PS4 have HDMI-CEC? I've noticed my PS4 seems to control my TV, but I always thought it was because I have a Sony TV. I'm probably just being stupid. Anyway, the more I learn about the Xbox Series consoles, the more excited I am about my XSX preorder. The 10th can't come soon enough.
Pretty much all devices do now. Which is why it was curious the One didn't.

I'm still amazed the One S had an IR blaster to control the TV by bouncing it off the back wall. For the longest time I thought it had CEC.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Pretty much all devices do now. Which is why it was curious the One didn't.

I'm still amazed the One S had an IR blaster to control the TV by bouncing it off the back wall. For the longest time I thought it had CEC.
I never even knew the one had an IR blaster. Yeah, I'm definitely glad the XS has CEC. Seventeen days and counting :)

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
It is incredible how MS thought about such small details that make consumers life easier. Making the decision to switch from ps to Xbox easier every day, now if only they wold have added gyro lol, it has everything but that. I know we gyro folks are the worst but gotta make sure to use every chance we get. Please majornelson help us talking to Phil.