• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The big thing I was worried about in Series S|X was Harmony compatibility. Keeping the IR receiver pretty much confirms support.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that's awesome! I was confused when Jeff Grub quickly mentioned it working in a video—I figured it was a no-go.

Last edited:

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the black pair button on the white console was a little weird! Haha that's such a cool idea

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_lihynlRomV1qzr81to1_400.jpg

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, they've thought of everything with these damn consoles.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome news! I use my Xbox as my 4K Blu Ray player, so get a lot of use out of my remote.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Loving this commitment from Microsoft for Backwards Compatibility. Its such a no brainer move that its a shame it hadn't been done enmasse before.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I was actually just wondering about this a few minutes ago. I was getting Jelly of the PS5 media remote . . . glad to now I can pick up an Xbox one now.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Loving this commitment from Microsoft for Backwards Compatibility. Its such a no brainer move that its a shame it hadn't been done enmasse before.

Well I mean, Nintendo was sort of good with it for awhile. From the GameCube to the Wii to the Wii U, there was a lot of compatibility. There are even some USB peripherals that continue to work with the Switch.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I thought this was known for a little bit now. PDP has been selling their Talon Media Remote with "Works with the NEW XBOX" branding on it for a few weeks.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
That's the only good news I've heard this week. No need to switch to PS for media and buy their remote now.

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I love my media remote and I'm glad I can keep using it. I have no idea why MS discontinued this thing.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm switching over to Xbox this gen, what is the best media remote?

I have a PDP one for PS4 and it's alright but there are waaaaayyy too many buttons on it that literally never get used.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Awesome! I love my media remote and I'm glad I can keep using it. I have no idea why MS discontinued this thing.
Same. My Xbox media remote bit the dust after many years of use. I got the PDP one and it works fine but there are so many useless buttons on it. I keep hoping Microsoft announces a new one for the Series consoles.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Another Harmony remote user very happy with this piece of news! I find it even cooler that they though to integrate it into the pairing button.

I also find it interesting Larry sent us a picture of the button on the Series S. Maybe because the black/white contrast shows off the integration better?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! I was hoping they would carry IR forward. Bluetooth as an option is fine, but it has drawbacks when you're looking to integrate your media-centric system into your other A/V components.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'm switching over to Xbox this gen, what is the best media remote?

I have a PDP one for PS4 and it's alright but there are waaaaayyy too many buttons on it that literally never get used.

Amazon.com: PDP Gaming Remote Control: Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Xbox: Video Games

Amazon.com: PDP Gaming Remote Control: Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Xbox: Video Games

im getting this one soon, it has much less buttons and looks similar to the original xbox media remote!

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am I right in thinking that everytime Sony release some info or news MS do a reaction response?

Sony give media remote info and MS respond.

I feel like I've seen this many times now

majornelson

Xbox
Verified
Jan 9, 2018
( ( ( searching ) ) )
Another Harmony remote user very happy with this piece of news! I find it even cooler that they though to integrate it into the pairing button.

I also find it interesting Larry sent us a picture of the button on the Series S. Maybe because the black/white contrast shows off the integration better?
It was more to head off any comments/questions like "Yea...but what about Series S"

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's using the same IR codes. I guess there's no reason to have an X1 and XS in the same room, but I expect there would be some conflict.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Does the YouTube app on Xbox One/Series X/S support HDR videos?

Also, has anyone any recommendations for a good media controller now that we have this great news?