• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 27, 2019
Here is an interesting article that explains the complexity of music rights and licensing. These apply especially to making games BC, as most of these old titles have to be re-enabled for purchase and distrubution online.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Music licensing in games: trials, tribulations, and what's next

The games and music industries have had a long and at times illustrious relationship. Early 80s arcade titles like Jour…

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. The stuff about perpetuity contracts is fascinating—I assume MS probably negotiates for those types of licensing deals when making games BC.

I assume they also negotiate a different type of perpetuity license—one that allows MS to release a game on all Xbox platform devices. (In the old days, a game was licensed for a specific platform like the 360.)

That is an added layer of complexity as well.

All in all, when you learn about how complicated all this is, it really makes it clear how much of an achievement the Xbox BC program was and is.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing. That was a great read. The stuff about perpetuity contracts is fascinating—I assume MS probably negotiates for those types of licensing deals when making games BC.

I assume they also negotiate a different type of perpetuity license—one that allows MS to release a game on all Xbox platform devices. (In the old days, a game was licensed for a specific platform like the 360.)

That is an added layer of complexity as well.

All in all, when you learn about how complicated all this is, it really makes it clear how much of an achievement the Xbox BC program was and is.
Not just platforms. I remember hearing the BC team talk about how online streaming of games has complicated things as most older games didn't have the language to account for that and how that needs to be addressed and resolved with the publisher and any licenses they might have.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
One thing that I never understood is why is it different for videogames and movies for example? As far as I understand, and save for some exceptions, a movie can be sold everywhere for eternity without having to renew music licensing, couldn't the same "laws" apply to videogames as well?

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
One thing that I never understood is why is it different for videogames and movies for example? As far as I understand, and save for some exceptions, a movie can be sold everywhere for eternity without having to renew music licensing, couldn't the same "laws" apply to videogames as well?
I think this might be because traditionally games were only sold for a generation of consoles and after that they became irrelevant - so purchasing music rights in perpetuity was not necessary, as opposed to movies which as soon as home media became a thing were being sold decades after their original release

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
There are movies and TV series that are nearly impossible to release due to rights issues however that's usually due to some artists who made aggressive deals. The music industry just was far more strict with videogames agreements because they didn't see the games as promotion like they do for movies.. "Oh x movie wants our music? Sure!" "oh video game wants our music? Hmm. Sure, but JUST for this release."

Re-releasing movies is a very common practice as well and it's been build into contracts probably for many decades. Gaming and licensed music has been very platform specific for so much of it's history, with remasters and the sort only really game into their own last gen.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There are examples of music licensing causing issues for some TV shows too (although it's not as common as with games).

The new streaming release of Baywatch replaces many of the songs with new original compositions.

www.forbes.com

How Baywatch Once Again Became One Of The Most Widely Distributed Series

Baywatch is available in 120 countries on countless streaming services, cable networks, and broadcast TV channels. How an old-time hit came back despite the odds.

"To remaster 242 episodes of Baywatch and replace over 400 songs cleared for streaming was a monumental project, but with the dedication of the team involved and the superb work done by the remastering houses it was completed within 11 months."

"We used industry contacts and negotiation skills learned decades ago to transform and remaster all 11 seasons, and then created new original music for about 10% of the millions in license fees it would have cost to clear the old songs, all the while creating our own record label to own and control that new music. Today this record label is its own significant revenue source."

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
When I think of TV shows and licensed songs disappearing, I think of Married with Children.

I think the "current" set has the theme song replaced from season 3 forward, and I think the older sets had even less of the original music than that.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some movies have been changed. And mostly it's that movies have better deals when the license than tv and games. More money to spend to get a in perpetuity license

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Decided to boot up Saints Row 2 on a whim from the $2 sale and also because I loved the game on PS3 back in the day. Graphically, boy does the game look dated. Don't know what resolution it's trying to run at on the Series X, but definitely doesn't seem like it's meant to be played on a 4K display lol. Some of the controls are a bit dated as well and the acitivities can be a bit hit or miss, but at its core, the game still is a lot of fun for me. Hearing the songs on The Mix and Gen X is just a huge nostalgia trip for me by itself. Performance is also alright for the most part. Seems the missions that take place over water really tank the framerate (like the intro mission), but from what I recall those don't happen too often. Otherwise seems it's a pretty locked 30 (also have VRR enabled).

Not sure if I'll finish this replay, but definitely $2 well spent regardless (plus I never got the Xbox achievements before so there's that as well). Only other gripe I have (which is something I wasn't a big fan of at the time either) is needing to fill the respect meter up to start story missions, but cruising the city for activities to do isn't necessarily bad.

Overall glad this is part of BC on Xbox (especially with how notoriously bad the PC version is), but at the same time, also makes me wish SR2 got the remaster treatment. Here's hoping the 'fixed' PC version comes out eventually. Perhaps should have just waited for that before replaying this, though I've sort of wanted to replay SR2 to 4 anyways before the new one comes out.

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere so I'll put it here.

As part of Ninja Gaiden Master Collection's addition to Gamepass today: the game has been updated to support 'Xbox Play Anywhere' as part of it being listed on the Windows MS Store for the first time.

(the same happened to the outer wilds+Firewatch when they were added to Gamepass).

Great for me as it means I now own it for PC.
oh cool, thx for the heads up.
i know it's publisher dependant but i wish all games were "play anywhere" such a great feature to be able to switch from console to pc or the other way around

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to boot up Saints Row 2 on a whim from the $2 sale and also because I loved the game on PS3 back in the day. Graphically, boy does the game look dated. Don't know what resolution it's trying to run at on the Series X, but definitely doesn't seem like it's meant to be played on a 4K display lol. Some of the controls are a bit dated as well and the acitivities can be a bit hit or miss, but at its core, the game still is a lot of fun for me. Hearing the songs on The Mix and Gen X is just a huge nostalgia trip for me by itself. Performance is also alright for the most part. Seems the missions that take place over water really tank the framerate (like the intro mission), but from what I recall those don't happen too often. Otherwise seems it's a pretty locked 30 (also have VRR enabled).

Not sure if I'll finish this replay, but definitely $2 well spent regardless (plus I never got the Xbox achievements before so there's that as well). Only other gripe I have (which is something I wasn't a big fan of at the time either) is needing to fill the respect meter up to start story missions, but cruising the city for activities to do isn't necessarily bad.

Overall glad this is part of BC on Xbox (especially with how notoriously bad the PC version is), but at the same time, also makes me wish SR2 got the remaster treatment. Here's hoping the 'fixed' PC version comes out eventually. Perhaps should have just waited for that before replaying this, though I've sort of wanted to replay SR2 to 4 anyways before the new one comes out.
It can definitely be hard to go back to 720p (or sub 720p) non-enhanced Xbox 360 BC games. 90% of my BC library is resolution enhanced or FPS Boosted; just really hard for me to play untouched BC games.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017

Buy DEADLY PREMONITION | Xbox

Welcome to Greenvale, a remote rural town where mystery and murder go hand in hand. Assume the role of Agent Morgan, and delve into Greenvale’s deadly secrets.

Deadly Premonition is up in the Store - $19.99
Doesn't seem to available outside the US (at least it doesn't show up for me, unable to purchase pls don't let this be a Ridge Racer 6 situation)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Buy DEADLY PREMONITION | Xbox

Welcome to Greenvale, a remote rural town where mystery and murder go hand in hand. Assume the role of Agent Morgan, and delve into Greenvale’s deadly secrets.

Deadly Premonition is up in the Store - $19.99
www.resetera.com

Deadly Premonition is back on Microsoft Store

Just noticed you can buy the old, better version on the Microsoft Store again. Is this a new thing or was it available before and I didn't notice?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Still waiting on a Deadly Premonition sale. One of my few 360 games I only own physically (and I own it for Switch digitally).

I feel like I'm playing chicken with a delisting.

Aug 7, 2020
Here is an interesting article that explains the complexity of music rights and licensing. These apply especially to making games BC, as most of these old titles have to be re-enabled for purchase and distrubution online.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Music licensing in games: trials, tribulations, and what's next

The games and music industries have had a long and at times illustrious relationship. Early 80s arcade titles like Jour…
This is a great read, thanks. Sucks that a lot of my favorite games are difficult to re-release because of this but I hope these perpetuity deals become the norm in the future.
Off the top of my head, I remember Skins having licensed tracks removed for the DVD release. What I've seen in video games but not movies/shows, as far as I'm aware, is video games being delisted because of cars, product placement, or archival footage. Plenty of games have been delisted over it (Soulcalibur IV, Driver: San Francisco) and I wonder how many games were kept from BC over it as well.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Still waiting on a Deadly Premonition sale. One of my few 360 games I only own physically (and I own it for Switch digitally).

I feel like I'm playing chicken with a delisting.

This was me with SoulCalibur 2, I was thinking I had some time and then all of a sudden last week it was gone (thank you Dell for having it available though somehow). Definitely don't wait too long if you want it that bad, because you never know.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
This was me with SoulCalibur 2, I was thinking I had some time and then all of a sudden last week it was gone (thank you Dell for having it available though somehow). Definitely don't wait too long if you want it that bad, because you never know.
Truer words about digital console games never spoken. Now we better know to just do it or risk an unannounced delisting.

I owned SCIIHD from when it dropped on XBLA, so I'm chillin' there (I'm glad you were able to get a key from a third party seller!). Deadly Premonition is a weird one - if I hadn't just bought the (inferior) digital Switch Origins version just months earlier w/ the Deadly Premonition 2 hype, I woulda jumped on the Deadly Premonition relisting on the Microsoft Store at full price. And like I touched on, it's one of the few discs I still own and put into my Xboxs. So chicken I play, eh? I'm gonna get burnt at this rate.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Can anyone on series X play Nuketown 2025 in Cod Black Ops 2? Lol I'm having the hardest time getting the map to populate for me in the solo or public match in zombies. Ive verified that it's installed from game management side and even uninstalled and reinstalled everything.
Could anyone help me out?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just a bug on my end, or have they got rid of the Backwards Compatibility section on at least the Series S store?
I can manually search for BC games, but there is no dedicated section for them now, which is a bit of a pain lol.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
Is it just a bug on my end, or have they got rid of the Backwards Compatibility section on at least the Series S store?
I can manually search for BC games, but there is no dedicated section for them now, which is a bit of a pain lol.

No they totally did. I figured it was so they can finally update the section with the most recent bc games since they never did so before but the section just never came back.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Fyi I recently moved my 360 stuff to cloud finally. Not sure if any is helpful.

Aegis Wing can't be moved or copied
Dark Souls can only be moved (makes sense)
Castle Crashers missing saves, that's sad
Fable 2 move only
Fable 3 move only
Gears 3 campaign and player data is move only
Gears 3 beta player data move only
Gears Judgment campaign and player data move only
Mass Effect 2 move only
Mass Effect 2 importer allowed copy
Mass Effect 3 move only
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 custom head from vision camera allowed copy
Splinter Cell Conviction nothing can copy or move
Street Fighter IV save and extended save are move only
Super Street Fighter IV copied fine
Too Human could only be moved

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Truer words about digital console games never spoken. Now we better know to just do it or risk an unannounced delisting.

I owned SCIIHD from when it dropped on XBLA, so I'm chillin' there (I'm glad you were able to get a key from a third party seller!). Deadly Premonition is a weird one - if I hadn't just bought the (inferior) digital Switch Origins version just months earlier w/ the Deadly Premonition 2 hype, I woulda jumped on the Deadly Premonition relisting on the Microsoft Store at full price. And like I touched on, it's one of the few discs I still own and put into my Xboxs. So chicken I play, eh? I'm gonna get burnt at this rate.
It's worth it for $20 tbh. Kind of the best version too.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
Fyi I recently moved my 360 stuff to cloud finally. Not sure if any is helpful.

Aegis Wing can't be moved or copied
Dark Souls can only be moved (makes sense)
Castle Crashers missing saves, that's sad
Fable 2 move only
Fable 3 move only
Gears 3 campaign and player data is move only
Gears 3 beta player data move only
Gears Judgment campaign and player data move only
Mass Effect 2 move only
Mass Effect 2 importer allowed copy
Mass Effect 3 move only
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 custom head from vision camera allowed copy
Splinter Cell Conviction nothing can copy or move
Street Fighter IV save and extended save are move only
Super Street Fighter IV copied fine
Too Human could only be moved
Just an FYI w/ SC Conviction: it gets your progress associated with your Gamertag from XBL/Ubisoft servers when you play the game on another console, so don't worry (for now) about losing any progress. But I would recommend booting it up so that it collects that info.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
It's worth it for $20 tbh. Kind of the best version too.
Yeah! Definitely the best performing and best looking version - glad to still own the 360 version physically even if I'm not about that disc-swapping life at all anymore.

With Deadly Premonition 2 having a heartbeat with its Steam release today, maybe I'll just wait a little bit longer (famous last words) to see if anything happens with the series for Xbox. Origins went on sale on eShop when 2 was announced, I'd hope the same with DP1 vanilla finally for Xbox if 2 were to come over.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Prince of Persia Sands of Time got delisted? Unavailable for purchase. Might want to add it to the delisting thread litebrite

Buy Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time | Xbox

Relive the epic adventures of the Prince in medieval Persia, and master the Sands of Time to save your Kingdom. Erase the past, witness the future, and freeze the present to survive.
It's been for a while but I think it can still be bought from the old marketplace

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Prince of Persia Sands of Time got delisted? Unavailable for purchase. Might want to add it to the delisting thread litebrite

Buy Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time | Xbox

Relive the epic adventures of the Prince in medieval Persia, and master the Sands of Time to save your Kingdom. Erase the past, witness the future, and freeze the present to survive.
www.resetera.com

BC Xbox 360/OG Xbox games that are still listed but can only be bought on the online Marketplace or on a Xbox 360.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood** Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag* Assassin's Creed Liberation HD** Blood of the Werewolf Castle Crashers* Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare* Counter Strike: GO Dark Souls* Darksiders II* Daytona USA Defense Grid: The Awakening Final Fight: Double Impact Iron Brigade...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They should really be more consistent with what's available on the new store, especially when they're putting that stuff on sale.
Like both GTAIV DLCs finally showed up for me in the new store the last time they were on sale, and I was looking at buying Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds last week (is that good btw? it's not on sale but it's only like £2.39), but the DLC wasn't available on the new store. Then I checked again last night, and all 3 packs were there and able to be bought.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Lords of Shadow is on sale for £6.59, but I can't tell if it's a permanent price drop, as it's got no mention of an end date, and it's like the only thing put on sale today.

Did these games get any upgrade for the Series S, so either FPS or Res boost?

I've been wanting to replay them recently, so this has come at a good time.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Lords of Shadow is on sale for £6.59, but I can't tell if it's a permanent price drop, as it's got no mention of an end date, and it's like the only thing put on sale today.

Did these games get any upgrade for the Series S, so either FPS or Res boost?

I've been wanting to replay them recently, so this has come at a good time.

They didn't get any enhancements unfortunately. So 30FPS and low res. The intro for LoS2 looked like it was 200p when I played it on Series X. Huge, chunky pixels that wouldn't have looked out of place on PS1 when I was hacking at enemies and blood was spraying everywhere.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't get any enhancements unfortunately. So 30FPS and low res. The intro for LoS2 looked like it was 200p when I played it on Series X. Huge, chunky pixels that wouldn't have looked out of place on PS1 when I was hacking at enemies and blood was spraying everywhere.
Oh god lol. I'll grab them on PC in that case then.