• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Updated OP with the final update and the latest changes to the program.

Its been a blast. Sad to see you go :(
Amazing Job, Man. It's been real while it lasted.

Just wanted to point out one small error when looking through your OG Xbox BC list. You have GTA: San Andreas listed when it shouldn't be.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Out of curiosity, are you going to update your stats thread?
I'm going to now, making a final post. I'll do a new thread to show my appreciation with all the final numbers and stats, so everybody can give it one last hurrah..........

Amazing Job, Man. It's been real while it lasted.

Just wanted to point out one small error when looking through your OG Xbox BC list. You have GTA: San Andreas listed when it shouldn't be.
Well I included that since the OG disc is kind of BC. The disc will grant you the 360 version, but I get what you mean. I made it more clear now.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
I dont get this "the end" mentality. I am pretty sure I saw a video where it was said that the back compat group is stronger than ever, but *for now* they will stop making releases for xbox/scorpio
because they are moving on working on making the legacy games available on next xbox (plus whatever enhancements for next platform I can add easily).

isn't this -you know- like ...good news?

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I dont get this "the end" mentality. I am pretty sure I saw a video where it was said that the back compat group is stronger than ever, but *for now* they will stop making releases for xbox/scorpio
because they are moving on working on making the legacy games available on next xbox (plus whatever enhancements for next platform I can add easily).

isn't this -you know- like ...good news?
Well its pretty clear that new 360/OG additions are off the table for at least two years, if not forever. We get that BC ain't dead, its just that we probably won't see any new 360 and OG games added from now on. They aren't saying 'final' batch for nothing. I'm all for staying positive but I think they made it pretty clear.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Updated OP with the final update and the latest changes to the program.

Its been a blast. Sad to see you go :(
Hey Man, thanks for the work maintaining this thread series. It's been a wild ride and I can safely say that outside of licensing hell games I pretty much got all the games I could want. The only true loss was the lack of X enhanced games. Either way I'm happy with everything we got and the fact that I can play all this content I've amassed on whatever the next console is as well.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm going to now, making a final post. I'll do a new thread to show my appreciation with all the final numbers and stats, so everybody can give it one last hurrah..........

Well I included that since the OG disc is kind of BC. The disc will grant you the 360 version, but I get what you mean. I made it more clear now.
Awesome. Thank you so much for all you've done with making and keeping up this thread and your stats thread (and the Xbox Live deals every week).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I could see them wanting to get a batch of new to BC oXbox/360 games for Scarlett launch, in addition to the work they are likely doing on further enhancing oXbox/360 BC games on Scarlett, and enhancing Xbox One games.

But I think Xbox One on Scarlett will be the bigger priority.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I could see them wanting to get a batch of new to BC oXbox/360 games for Scarlett launch, in addition to the work they are likely doing on further enhancing oXbox/360 BC games on Scarlett, and enhancing Xbox One games.

But I think Xbox One on Scarlett will be the bigger priority.
I would rather they focus on beefing up Xbox One games. Imagine playing games like Arkham Knight and Watch Dogs 2 and other non enhanced games in native 4K and HDR on Scarlett. I would happily trade this 360 BC for a while for that. Just bring it back after that will ya MS?!

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what happens going forward.
They clearly said next generation will have 4 gens of games.

It would be comical if they wouldn't update OG and 360 BC ever again.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Well its pretty clear that new 360/OG additions are off the table for at least two years, if not forever. We get that BC ain't dead, its just that we probably won't see any new 360 and OG games added from now on. They aren't saying 'final' batch for nothing. I'm all for staying positive but I think they made it pretty clear.

They said final batch for Xbox One. Since X1 is BC with Scarlett I assume it won't be that hard to make sure current BC games work. And then they may add more.

However, we're pretty good so far as most wanted games go that aren't licensed properties / sports.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather they focus on beefing up Xbox One games. Imagine playing games like Arkham Knight and Watch Dogs 2 and other non enhanced games in native 4K and HDR on Scarlett. I would happily trade this 360 BC for a while for that. Just bring it back after that will ya MS?!
Yea, brute forcing stuff from XB1 would be nice
No matter what happens going forward.
They clearly said next generation will have 4 gens of games.

It would be comical if they wouldn't update OG and 360 BC ever again.
With even more brute force power I would be surprised if 360 games that weren't possible for X enhancements wouldn't get some sort of scarlett equivalent. Some games could have really used an X enhancement for clarity purposes but didn't get one.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
This post gives me a little hope. Hopefully they continue once the kinks are worked out with Scarlet Backcompat *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This post gives me a little hope

There is hope m23
HairySecondaryJohndory.webm

Oct 27, 2017
They've said their efforts will continue on new hardware. I don't know how much more certain you need it to be.

The past page and a half at least demonstrates that I wasn't alone in my confusion over whether new 360 and OG games will be added on Scarlett. It would be helpful for someone like Jason Ronald to clear the record in a tweet or some other kind of official statement. Right now the messages are a bit mixed between Jason leaving the door open but not outright confirming more non-X1 games in a tweet yesterday to the quote that you posted the page before which seemed to be more definitive.

Yes, I've seen his tweets but I'm staying cautiously optimistic. It'll be at least a dry spell for like two years so thats bad enough as it is.

That's a bit too conservative, don't you think? I don't think there's any indication that we should set the timeframe for the program to resume as far as June 2021. If there is to be any further mention of 360 and Original Xbox era games again for backwards compatibility, you can be damn certain they'll want to showcase them and any possible upgrades Scarlett can offer for them before launch. It will probably be spoken with their emphasis on all the advantages Scarlett will have on Xbox One games. I just can't see them starting to boast this early before Holiday 2020 that all 4 generations will be BC only to not cater something to 360 and Original Xbox games at launch or sometime after it.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Shame its come to an end. Did i get everything i wanted? Nope. But i did get a hell of a lot of what i did want and majority of my 360 library will carry forward to scarlett too.
For free. Thank you microsoft. Job well done

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be optimistic and guess they'll have a fresh batch of 360 and OG Xbox games ready for the day Scarlett launches.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get Skate 2 on Scarlett eventually. 1 and 3 is so odd. Both great games, but I want 2 y'all, lol.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ZbkZOpZ.jpg

Unreal Championship 2 aged like fine wine. Forgot how smart it is that since the game is an old school FPS without sprinting you can also jump pressing the left stick. It makes for supereasy bunnyhopping even without an elite controller or sacrificing a trigger or paddle, which is really key in such a frantic FPS.

Feb 27, 2019
Most inexplicable omissions for me are Max Payne 3 (must be a remaster coming) and MK9 (probably biggest series not on BC—must be because of Warner's resistance).

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ZbkZOpZ.jpg

Unreal Championship 2 aged like fine wine. Forgot how smart it is that since the game is an old school FPS without sprinting you can also jump pressing the left stick. It makes for supereasy bunnyhopping even without an elite controller or sacrificing a trigger or paddle, which is really key in such a frantic FPS.
Yea it works surprisingly well after you get accustomed to it

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
While browsing the web for if any other games than Halo Infinite has been confirmed as a launch title for Scarlett I came across an article on techradar.

They stated that Scarlett will be able to play games from previous generations of Xbox. Games from One, 360 and the Original.

Where did they get that information from? They mention it atleast 2 times in the article.

• What can I play on it? Halo Infinite is its first confirmed launch title, while all previous generations of Xbox console games will be covered by backwards compatibility.

If Halo is not your thing you wont be wanting for games to play at launch though – especially if you're an existing Xbox player. Xbox Project Scarlett will be capable of three generations of backwards compatibility. So, as well as Scarlett-era games, it'll also play games from the Xbox One, the Xbox 360, and the very first generation of the Xbox.

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-project-scarlett

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was wishful thinking really. Every Forza game has been delisted upto Forza 5 and Horizon 2. These games likely only have a 5 year or so license from all those car manufacturers, which is many other racing games are delisted and unlikely to come like PGR4 and Outrun.
And to add to that, the rare times it is made BC, it's for disc owners only, with no option to buy digital(i.e Forza Horizon 1)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They did let people that had bought Forza Horizon digitally prior to the delisting get the BC version too.
I was referring to buying the game after it's delisted. But yes, anyone who owned it digitally before delisting still can play it through BC. I do love that MS supports their digital ownership so well. I just want a good search feature of my purchase history so we'll be set a decade from now when we wanna DL something we bought back in 2007

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

If they can get the pre-enhanced Xbox One games enhanced for the new console, it's going to be insane and considering the caliber of work they did with the 360 and original Xbox compatibility, I don't expect Sony's solution to measure up at all.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst with proper textures and 4K would be the best-looking game on console

Feb 27, 2019
The past page and a half at least demonstrates that I wasn't alone in my confusion over whether new 360 and OG games will be added on Scarlett. It would be helpful for someone like Jason Ronald to clear the record in a tweet or some other kind of official statement. Right now the messages are a bit mixed between Jason leaving the door open but not outright confirming more non-X1 games in a tweet yesterday to the quote that you posted the page before which seemed to be more definitive.

Agree with this. I honestly think it's still unclear if new 360 and OG games will be added after Scarlett is released. This tweet from the official Xbox Twitter account makes it seem like they won't add any more at all after this: https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1138518662082703361

So the messaging has been mixed. (Maybe even after fall 2020 they'll just focus on Scarlett-enhancing XB1 titles and the current BC list, for example.) So I also think it'd just be nice if Jason Ronald or someone could just tweet and give a clear answer, even if it's still up in the air. "We may add more 360 and OG titles to BC after Scarlett is released, but we cannot confirm that right now," or something like that.

I'm sure that getting all XB1 and current BC titles working on Scarlett is no small task, so I definitely understand the need to stop adding new games right now. And even if they never add any other titles, it's a really impressive achievement. Like I said before, I think that we all have a few games that didn't make the cut that we're bummed about, but still, the vast majority of the best 360 games are playable (in a better form) on XB1, and they will be going forward too. It's honestly amazing.

That said, I do hope they add more 360 and OG titles after fall 2020! I think it's just still unclear if that will be the case.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Hello, friends. I have a question.

So after the E3 conference, I really want to replay Psychonauts (it's been years), so off I go to the Xbox store, aaaaand… it's not there. Is it a digital-only BC game, or was it just not added to the store in UK/Europe?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has metatag been updated yet ? Games are enhanced but don't appear in tab day + 1. Strange

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello, friends. I have a question.

So after the E3 conference, I really want to replay Psychonauts (it's been years), so off I go to the Xbox store, aaaaand… it's not there. Is it a digital-only BC game, or was it just not added to the store in UK/Europe?

This the digital page, it works both in the US for $10 and it worked in my region (NL) too for €10. If you're talking disc copies than it might not be up yet. They have said all games will be available throughout this week so it might not be up yet.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

This the digital page, it works both in the US for $10 and it worked in my region (NL) too for €10. If you're talking disc copies than it might not be up yet. They have said all games will be available throughout this week so it might not be up yet.

Huh. I checked just the other day and it was just gamer picture packs and stuff, but there it is, £8.99. Thanks Mauro!

Mucha

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So, got a random fact and question about BC in non Tier 1 countries.

Sadly many BC games are missing from the Argentina Store, who should I tweet about this issue to generate awareness?

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to replay the splinter cell series. I forgot how hard the first game can wear on your patience. 2 was a lot more forgiving

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Still bummed we never got Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain. With Sega's past acceptance of this program and the acquisition of Obsidian, I really thought AP had a real shot. Always wondered if "Turn Up the Radio" from a certain boss fight kept it from being done. I wish MS would acquire the rights to AP for a remaster and a sequel.