• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
+1 on Halo 5 being amazing.

Not only is the campaign severely underrated it's also the best competitive MP FPS of the gen.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The xbox one is very reliable and runs nice and quiet. Microsoft have done a decent job with it, all things considered.
Not sure it's a master-class though, but the Forza Horizon series has made it more than worthwhile for me anyway.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the launch lineup of the PS4 and one, I have no idea how anyone could look at each year for the consoles exclusives and ever come out saying Microsoft had a better year than either Sony or Nintendo.

Even from a business point of view, the PS3 was a bigger turn around then the one had. If the one had caught up, hell even if it got close to the PS4 in sales I would agree, but it's not even close the PS3 at least accomplished that

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that console is missing is good games (or at least games that appeal to me). I don't consider a single one of their exclusives this gen as a must-play. Literally everything else in that ecosystem is borderline perfect, but you have to have a reason to invest in the first place.

OP
OP
Podge293

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, while I value your opinion and kudos for you for having one, I'm sincerely wonder if there is a practice of astroturfing going on in this forum. Don't get me wrong, I have an Xbox One and a One X, but that is because I'm a video game hoarder and have more than I need and use, but ERA is the only place in the whole Internet where I constantly see giving all praise and shout to Microsoft.

* puts tin foil hat on *

ha nah it's fair but i'm an accountant in ireland working for an insurance firm.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Xbox One is the only console I didn't buy this generation (and I usually buy them all). There's too much overlap in games between it and the other consoles/PC this generation.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I own all three consoles, including the X version of the Xbox. It's the clear loser of the bunch as far as exclusive content goes, but it gets the most active time in my house. Things I use it for:

Multiplatform titles
Anything that involves connected / internet-based games
Anything that involves multiplayer games
Anything that is a shooter
Gamepass
Web browsing / streaming sports
Apps (Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Twitch, etc)

Meanwhile the PS4 is only turned on when I want to play PS4 exclusives. And yet I think the PS4 is the obvious choice and obvious winner between the two if a consumer is in a position where they can only choose one. I think OP is right in that the XB1 is a phenomenal console, personally. There should be less hand-waving because although it's not the #1 purchase for a one-console household, it gets the most mileage in a multi-console household.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It was an unmitigated disaster, but now things feel more exciting than ever before. Can't wait to see Double Fine, Obsidian, inXile, Ninja Theory, and Playground next gen. Age of Empires and Flight Simulator are back.

Aug 26, 2018
Yes I know straight away some of you will be like

"Sony dominated this gen" & "Even the switch is outselling it"

But this isn't about sales. This is about my view on the xbox one and how for me it's a masterclass.

Origins
We all know the xbox got off to a bit of a rocky launch. Cries over forced drm, always online and no used games (not entirely true but not what I'm going into) but for me none of those rang hollow. To me they sounded interesting (mainly cuz I rarely trade/buy used games and have been online constantly since 2010) as it was changing how the industry worked. This obviously died as we know it but it has come back in slightly other forms (gamepass being the key example).

The beginning of the turn

Both consoles started off with a bit of a rocky launch line up. I personally liked Ryse but the rest were a bit meh

Then 2014 started with Titanfall coming to Xbox One (a pretty great game), fast forward to September and we had the next Forza Horizon (a pretty good game) and then November a pure delight for everybody Halo MCC, a superb value for arguably the best FPS series around (best overall series for me too!).

The first half of 2015 then was a bit meh (except the witcher 3 but that's multiplat and this is about xbox dammit!) but had stuff like State of Decay being remastered and released for XBO which delighted a good few I'm sure

2015 and beyond

In 2015 the legendary Halo series continued. I loved Halo 5 and was easily the best exclusive game released in 2015 (yes yes i can hear you already, but what about Bloodborne Podge, well I say pfft to that).

MS finally looked to be hitting their groove. They'd dropped the price, Kinect was being slowly but surely pushed to one side, and they were releasing quality games.

E3 2015 brought the news that MS were bringing in backwards capability to the delight of millions!

2016 brought us Gears 4, a series that was wonderful on the 360 and is getting better on the X1, and more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree). Ori showed us that MS weren't all just massive AAA title but also could focus on indie like games. MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.

Not to mention the tease of something bigger & better at E3 2016!!!!

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

2017 started off with a bang, the Switch was out and it was swinging hard with Zelda but Xbox already had an ace up it's sleeve. the Xbox One X was formally announced in June of 2017 and boasted a power boost nobody realistically expected from MS

Xbox One X was a beast. It put MS back at the top of power and performance. It also proved to the masses that MS was no longer trying to diversify it's gaming platform to everything (TV TV TV we all remember you!) but it was aiming to be the standard bearer.

2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry

Conclusion

I went on a bit of a ramble i'll admit.

For me Xbox One is the generational masterclass.

Yes they fucked the start and it hurt the sales but they bounced back.

They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood). They've released a console that's currently unrivaled in power. They've set themselves up to continue to push forward in gaming. They dont look like stopping.

Mixed Bag for me ,the way they pivoted from the Kinect Fiasco to being Gamepass centric is remarkable though.

Positives:

+Services ( Gamepass)
+Back Compat
+Nice End to the gen ( 2020 has a lot of nice exclusives for Xbox)
+Hardware ( Elite Controller 1/2, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Adaptive Controller, Design Lab)
+Good Studio Acquistion
+Minecraft
+Games as a Service really hit home later on in the gen ( SoT, SoD2, Gears 4/5, Halo 5/Wars 2, FH3/4 etc.)
+Low Entry points ( Xbox SAD at 149$ etc.)

Negatives:

- Lack of Exclusives (For most of the gen)
- Too many games at less than 1080p and crappy framerates
- Kinect
- Not enough Japanese games till late in the gen ( Nioh, Nier, Yakuza, Persona. FFXIV etc)

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed Bag for me ,the way they pivoted from the Kinect Fiasco to being Gamepass centric is remarkable though.

Positives:

+Services ( Gamepass)
+Back Compat
+Nice End to the gen ( 2020 has a lot of nice exclusives for Xbox)
+Hardware ( Elite Controller 1/2, Xbox One X, Xbox One S, Xbox Adaptive Controller, Design Lab)
+Good Studio Acquistion
+Minecraft
+Games as a Service really hit home later on in the gen ( SoT, SoD2, Gears 4/5, Halo 5/Wars 2, FH3/4 etc.)
+Low Entry points ( Xbox SAD at 149$ etc.)

Negatives:

- Lack of Exclusives (For most of the gen)
- Too many games at less than 1080p and crappy framerates
- Kinect
- Not enough Japanese games till late in the gen ( Nioh, Nier, Yakuza, Persona. FFXIV etc)
There's no persona for the xbox

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
If we are talking comeback story after an awful launch, I'd still have to say PS3 ultimately did that better. PS3 came back to selling roughly the same as the 360 (I've heard slightly more and even slightly less, not 100% on this). They did this mainly by making some of the best games of the generation. Nintendo in my book is having a generational masterclass with the Switch by combining their console and handheld into one. They came out swinging with Breath of the Wild, a true masterpiece and evolution of its genre. The Switch could very well surpass the PS4 at its current rate. I will say that with the XB1X and game pass they provided the best console for multi platform games. I think they deserve a lot of credit for that. Masterclass in a console generation? I think you need a complete vision from launch day and execute it to the highest standard.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Or, and call me crazy, but i have personal preferences?

Bloodborne did nothing for me. Halo 5 was a better game for me.

That's totally fair - people like different things and there's no accounting for that. I think the issue is that when you set out to argue a contentious point like this (most people ITT seem disagree with your general premise) you have to back it up with more than your own personal preferences, otherwise, it won't be taken seriously.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Never owned an Xbox System and never had the feeling im missing out on something.

PC + PS4 + Switch covers 99% of my gaming needs.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 proved all you need is a price cut and games to turn it around. The XB1 has had a big game giveaway subscription and a mid gen upgrade that gave them the uncontested power advantage, and still havent regained their market share. Need those exclusives.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
The UI is clunky and slow, even on my One X. And the name is terrible. To me, "masterclass" implies flawlessness. The Xbox One is not that.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Xbox One is the most impressive turnaround I have seen from a console.
The launch of this thing was rough, but in the past few years things have turned around for it and it is a true quality platform now.

All my favorite things about the platfrom right now are things that were not there at launch.

-Game Pass. I mean, what a deal. Love this service and the direction its taking Xbox. May even get a Series X at launch off of this alone.
-The Xbox One X. The power boost and build quality this box offers is amazing. My PS4 Pro meanwhile sounds like it is going to take off and fly away.
-Xbox Play Anywhere. The ability to buy a game once and get the Xbox and PC version with seamless cloud save is great. I can play Forza on my couch with a controller or on PC with a wheel with the same campaign progress being carried over.

All in all, I still think PS4 and Switch are better platforms due to their better exclusive libraries, but I do love my Xbox.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
For me, the system is clealry better than PS4. Own an Xbox One X and play on it all the time, it's amazing.

The one caveat being, I don't personally believe their first party portfolio was particularly strong this generation and was a huge step down from 360 imo. It's not a huge issue if you play mostly multiplats like me, but that's probably why most people skipped on it after 360 was such a huge success and Sony's strong first party efforts this gen

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It was in my opinion the worst Xbox in terms of exclusive games ever. The only good thing that came from them this gen was Gamepass and even that isn't enough for me to care.

Hell, I have a Scorpio edition X1X and I still play my PS4 Pro over it, the system just doesn't do anything for me outside of playing 4K disc movies.

OP
OP
Podge293

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's totally fair - people like different things and there's no accounting for that. I think the issue is that when you set out to argue a contentious point like this (most people ITT seem disagree with your general premise) you have to back it up with more than your own personal preferences, otherwise, it won't be taken seriously.

In my defense i did go into this in the OP about the Xbox as a whole.

Wasn't really going on specific games, the bloodborne was a throwaway comment for other users who i've had this discussion with outside the forum.

But ultimately everything goes down to personal preference. I've thoroughly enjoyed games in the past that are janky messes but i had fun with them. There's games that are technically great that i just struggled through and it was a chore vs enjoyment.

Ultimately games and the console that play them resonate with me if I've enjoyment on them. And this gen i've had more fun on xbox vs the rest

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hate to say it but this is easily the worst generation for MS. They barely pushed out any first party content. It was a three peat of Halo, Gears, Forza which is embarrassing considering people have been memeing them for that since the late 00s.

Service wise, yeah they're killing it right now, but it's more so because they needed to. It's weird for me, this is my first generation without an Xbox and I don't feel like I've missed anything. Although MS has slightly won me over when they announced they won't be leaving older platforms behind for another couple of years. So with that said I'll be grabbing a One X and a PS5 this holiday. Win/Win for me I guess lol, GP might actually make Xbox my main platform for indies since it's significantly cheaper than what I'm paying on Switch.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

But this isn't about sales. This is about my view on the xbox one and how for me it's a masterclass.

Origins
We all know the xbox got off to a bit of a rocky launch. Cries over forced drm, always online and no used games (not entirely true but not what I'm going into) but for me none of those rang hollow. To me they sounded interesting (mainly cuz I rarely trade/buy used games and have been online constantly since 2010) as it was changing how the industry worked. This obviously died as we know it but it has come back in slightly other forms (gamepass being the key example).

Both consoles started off with a bit of a rocky launch line up. I personally liked Ryse but the rest were a bit meh

Then 2014 started with Titanfall coming to Xbox One (a pretty great game), fast forward to September and we had the next Forza Horizon (a pretty good game) and then November a pure delight for everybody Halo MCC, a superb value for arguably the best FPS series around (best overall series for me too!).

The first half of 2015 then was a bit meh (except the witcher 3 but that's multiplat and this is about xbox dammit!) but had stuff like State of Decay being remastered and released for XBO which delighted a good few I'm sure

2015 and beyond

In 2015 the legendary Halo series continued. I loved Halo 5 and was easily the best exclusive game released in 2015 (yes yes i can hear you already, but what about Bloodborne Podge, well I say pfft to that).

MS finally looked to be hitting their groove. They'd dropped the price, Kinect was being slowly but surely pushed to one side, and they were releasing quality games.

E3 2015 brought the news that MS were bringing in backwards capability to the delight of millions!

2016 brought us Gears 4, a series that was wonderful on the 360 and is getting better on the X1, and more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree). Ori showed us that MS weren't all just massive AAA title but also could focus on indie like games. MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.

2017 started off with a bang, the Switch was out and it was swinging hard with Zelda but Xbox already had an ace up it's sleeve. the Xbox One X was formally announced in June of 2017 and boasted a power boost nobody realistically expected from MS

Xbox One X was a beast. It put MS back at the top of power and performance. It also proved to the masses that MS was no longer trying to diversify it's gaming platform to everything (TV TV TV we all remember you!) but it was aiming to be the standard bearer.

2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry

Conclusion

They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood). They've released a console that's currently unrivaled in power. They've set themselves up to continue to push forward in gaming. They dont look like stopping.
Are you just gonna ignore how much of a disaster MCC was at launch? People couldn't play the campaign let alone the mp.

To me, the UI is still clunky and slow. The PS4's ui is just better. And there really aren't a lot of reasons to play xbox. I have an X and i barely play it anymore. PS4 and Switch just have better exclusives and any game on gamepass I can just play it on pc. Its good for 4k blue rays and that is about it. They really need to come up with better exclusives for next gen.

I mean you can actually make the case this was the worst gen for xbox even if they did come back just like last gen was the worst for playstation even though they did come back.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
In my defense i did go into this in the OP about the Xbox as a whole.

Wasn't really going on specific games, the bloodborne was a throwaway comment for other users who i've had this discussion with outside the forum.

But ultimately everything goes down to personal preference. I've thoroughly enjoyed games in the past that are janky messes but i had fun with them. There's games that are technically great that i just struggled through and it was a chore vs enjoyment.

Ultimately games and the console that play them resonate with me if I've enjoyment on them. And this gen i've had more fun on xbox vs the rest

Again, I think that's totally fine: whatever makes you happy as gamer is completely valid. I think for most people it's the reality that claiming something is a 'generational masterclass' implies that it went further and did more than 'Podge on ERA really loved it'.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
They made a decent comeback and I like that I don't have to buy an Xbox to play the games now that they come to PC. The exclusives are the least interesting of the big three to me, but I still enjoy them.

Your biggest mistake was the Bloodborne comment lol

Oct 27, 2017

you traded a once in a lifetime game for a console upgrade? I'd take the games anyd
They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood).

they have released some good games, and it's gotten better. Games are subjective so if they're better to you (while also playing the others to compare) then that's great. They aren't better than Nintendo or Sony exclusives for me tho, in both quality and quantity.
more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree).
I agree. FH4's weird campaign intro messed up progression imo but yeah it's great. Their one great series this gen imo.
MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.
They've gotten a few and that's good. The key is getting them day one with PS4/ps5/switch going forward which is not something I have confidence in. They still miss out on Persona, Dragon Quest, etc. but Yakuza and KH ports are a good step

OP
OP
Podge293

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I think that's totally fine: whatever makes you happy as gamer is completely valid. I think for most people it's the reality that claiming something is a 'generational masterclass' implies that it went further and did more than 'Podge on ERA really loved it'.

Nah that's fair.

I did a rough overshot of how i felt they went from bust to considerably better over the last 6/7 years. ]

Like to me Sony played it relatively steady. They came out brilliant no doubt but they never really went above and beyond that. PSVR is a phenomal piece of equipment however.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They've released quality games that are best in class for me.
The only games that may be best in class are the forza horizon games and ori is up there, the rest of are underwhelming to bad, Halo 5 is a straight up bad game and easily one that has hurt the halo series which who knows if it will recover with halo infinite, That's not even touching the quality of exclusives they were against.

They really haven't bounced back other than some goodwill but there's still a lot up in the air and it's not looking like the slamdunk your saying it is.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - CearĆ”
MS games output this gen is very underrated, Forza Horizon is the best series in the genre. Sea of Thieves is amazing, Quantum Break has the quality of Uncharted 4 imo and how both were received is baffling to me. Games like Ori and Cuphead are unique and MS should have some merit on those games, but I understand how Gears and Halo aren't enough to bring people over like before.

People talk about how the PS3 was the best recovery in a gen ever and I don't agree with that, the damage MS has caused in 2013 was way bigger than the PS3 had back in the day, even though the success of the PS3 was bigger in the end.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Origins

2015 and beyond

Conclusion

A for effort!

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its been like 10 years since the last Fable game, so XBO fails its assignment of delivering enjoyment to me.
Maybe it can retake the Masterclass next year.

TheNexus

Brand Marketing Specialist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. I'm of course biased but damn, was this written by a 12 year old who just got their Xbox one x?

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Runs games like poo = A Generational Masterclass

Late gen games especially are an abomination on Xbox One S.

Status
Not open for further replies.