• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
As a owner of all 3 and who bought the Xbox day 1 over PlayStation I think they still are way behind. 360 was my go to console and despite them dropping the ball with kinect I had high hopes for the Xbox one.

I was excited at launch, I loved the launch games , ryse , forza were far better then sony launch games imo , I even enjoyed the either exclusives in sunset , recore , quantum break but once sony started with its amazing games it started to decline.

Whilst backwards compat was a solid start of a comeback its not something I cared about . I would still come back for some of its excellent first party like halo 5 and forza horizon , but it didn't last long. The sheer amount of quality games that Sony was bringing out (and the switch) just meant I barely used the Xbox.

Gamepass is a really great initiative and will definitely weigh up my decision on who to go with next gen , but so far its hard to go past the inevitable Sony AAA sequels.

I'm really interested in Halo infinite and some of the studios they have acquired but they need to show ALOT of stuff to make me go with them first next gen.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 better than Bloodborne...

And I thought you'd have good taste after seeing your monkey island avatar.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry.
What about base Xbox One though? The actual Xbox One and the console most players own. Games didn't look better or played better there. In fact they looked and played usually the worst there.
And while it is nice that Microsoft shared some good news and made promises, Sony actually delivered the goods in that same year with Shadow of the Colossus Remake, God of War, Detroit, Spider-Man, Astrobot...

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is finally on Era.
Phil Spencer would never say anything like this. He's been pretty forthcoming on XB1's failures.

Xbox is turning its mindshare around and I expect great things from the brand moving forward, but at the end of the day, it's about software and I've never owned a console with a less appealing slate of first party titles than the Xbox One.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Did they change their plans when they realized consumers would not swallow it all up? Yep. And pretty darn quick.
Masterclass at salvaging their own ass - yes.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Master class?

Did they really bounce back? PS3 bounced back, but Xbox One? No.

They've become the most consumer friendly of the big three for sure though.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Pretty much this.

If you can consider the way a first party has ran a generation in master class it would be Sony with the PS4 - MS and Nintendo fucked up quite a bit with One and WiiU ...if it wasnt for Sony to secure the console market things would be far worse nowadays. Even now with Switch and the late Xbox One/Game pass MS and Nintendo profit from the stability the PS4 provided for developed early this generation.
Never looked at it that way. A very relevant post.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I like Xbox One. The One X is a great machine, game pass is hands down the best deal in gaming. But Microsoft's output of first party games this gen leaves something to be desired when comparing to PS4 or even Switch. I bought an Xbox one day one and wasn't a huge fan. Now it's what I play most multiplatform games on. I will almost certainly buy a series X thanks to game pass, I just hope their first party output gets stronger

Deleted member 59848

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
People will just make fun of it. But I see the point your are trying to make.
I see the point OP is trying to make. Unfortunately it's not a good point. PS3 is a great example of what OP is describing. Xbox is dead last this gen despite having the most powerful system a head start of several years over Switch. The only things Xbox improved over the course of this gen is their message and their services - thankfully they got those 100% right imho and I hope they do great next gen.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it is a turnaround, but nothing more than that.

It also took the release of a whole new and dramatically more powerful console for it to happen, well at least in the minds of the hardcore consumer.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The X made it the best console to play multiplats, the BC program continuously expanded, Phil went to Japan and brought back with him a big bag o' Japanese games and Game Pass gave me more than I could possibly play. Xbox is also expanding beyond the console borders and reaching both PC and phones (Beta) now. A few major first party hits also arrived in Forza Horizon (4 in particular) and Sea of Thieves. The brand has definitely turned things around and is heading in an interesting direction.

But those early years were dire. One after another, the big first party games failed or were cancelled and most multiplats were outperformed by the base PS4 counterparts. Xbox also missed out on a ton of important Japanese games. Game Pass didn't truly hit its stride until 2019.

Xbox was an F grade or at best an E for me 2013-2017; a borderline useless console except for Sunset Overdrive and Ori. I was way happier with my Wii U and Vita. 2018 was a B and 2019 an A. The Xbox One is a masterclass console in 2020 but when talking about the generation, it took way too long to get there.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Xbox One is many things... masterclass it is not.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Well, GamePass is great.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go on the subject of Xbox One's greatness.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Are you unironically arguing that Halo 5 is a better game than Bloodborne

I have played a shitload of both games and Bloodborne is way, way better. Halo 5 feels like it's held together by scotch tape and hope sometimes. You can navigate from one part of the menu to another and half the time it triggers a loading screen, half the time it doesn't.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
MS's positive moves this gen have almost nothing to do with the boxes they made, and everything to do with their pivoting business model. They have been digging themselves out of a hole all gen.

I struggle to believe someone could rationally conclude this gen was a "masterclass" on the whole.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems one of those Forbes contributor articles that are popular these days. Or a sponsored thread by our friends at MS

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Accessibility, Game Pass, more consumer friendly-ness have certainly turned them around in how they are viewed by their fans and they generally have a better view of them going forward.

But the Xbox One never recovered after the botched launched. It's had it's lunch eaten by everyone. I know people will argue that sales don't matter and it's all about MAU. Going forward now with MS strategy, sure, but the Xbox One failed and never bounced back.

Next-gen will be interesting if they start reporting numbers again because I don't know why you would develop a $499 box to not care if they buy it.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Console wars, prior infraction for thread whining
Shooters and racing games, wow. Don't care.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox team did and still doing the best they could to fix this generation biggest mistake.

They have the foundation set for a truly great next gen hardware.

The best is yet to come.*

*As long as they actually deliver games this time.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This was the gen that Xbox hit absolute rock bottom. First party games were the worst of any previous gen for them and the original Xbox one was a disaster. You are already seeing them bounce back but sheesh it's been a rough gen for them

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The timing of this thread is quite something, the only thing going in MS favour is that they rebuilt some goodwill that's it.
Yeah... This.
Masterclass....
Yikes. Gamepass is a good deal for them and us. It's a strategy they can succeed at better than Sony and Nintendo. But nothing can prevent this generation from remembering the xbox One was a trainwreck and then some. You can't say a poor launch is why their being outsold by the Switch today that released well after it (and will soon eclipseit in sales, if it hasnt already), and the PS4 thats plus 100 Million+ as opposed to 40Million MS has bagged.
I honestly feel though, Gamepass gives them great goodwill starting next gen. But framing the Xbox One as a success for them.. cant do that.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual takeaway is the importance of competition. Both ways. From Sony's messaging & direction at the start of the generation, to MS keying in on areas where Sony was lacking and going the extra mile. Now we're seeing Sony responding to a lot of those moves. We(consumers) continue to reap the benefits.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual takeaway is the importance of competition. Both ways. From Sony's messaging & direction at the start of the generation, to MS keying in on areas where Sony was lacking and going the extra mile. Now we're seeing Sony responding to a lot of those moves. We(consumers) continue to reap the benefits.
Very true

OP, do you use white gloves when playing your Xbox /s?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean you claim the XBOX1 is a masterclass, but it honestly reads like you only own an XBOX1 and haven't dabbled into other platforms, playing the other games you mentioned (Bloodborne, BOTW). Which makes this post very biased. Would be nice if you could touch upon why you love Xbox games much more than games on competing platforms.

Because people have different taste and opinions?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
+

this is the first time in a while that it feels that all 3 big console players are in a very healthy space. All3 of them would need to mess up quite a bit to loose the momentum or their core customer groups right now. I think the ceiling for Nintendo and Sony is just higher because they appeal to more customers in more markets, and you need to own their consoles for their latest games - but in general all 3 are in a good space.

The upcoming years should be about console gamers coming together and appreciating what every player in the game has to offer - none of these companies are going away anytime soon and they will have alot to offer for their customers.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't agree. In games department with rarely exceptions Xbox ONE fail to delivery and can't be praised on that department.

MS set the road for next-gen but in terms of games Xbox ONE got everything wrong. quality and quantity of exclusives.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Yes I know straight away some of you will be like

"Sony dominated this gen" & "Even the switch is outselling it"

But this isn't about sales. This is about my view on the xbox one and how for me it's a masterclass.

Origins
We all know the xbox got off to a bit of a rocky launch. Cries over forced drm, always online and no used games (not entirely true but not what I'm going into) but for me none of those rang hollow. To me they sounded interesting (mainly cuz I rarely trade/buy used games and have been online constantly since 2010) as it was changing how the industry worked. This obviously died as we know it but it has come back in slightly other forms (gamepass being the key example).

The beginning of the turn

Both consoles started off with a bit of a rocky launch line up. I personally liked Ryse but the rest were a bit meh

Then 2014 started with Titanfall coming to Xbox One (a pretty great game), fast forward to September and we had the next Forza Horizon (a pretty good game) and then November a pure delight for everybody Halo MCC, a superb value for arguably the best FPS series around (best overall series for me too!).

The first half of 2015 then was a bit meh (except the witcher 3 but that's multiplat and this is about xbox dammit!) but had stuff like State of Decay being remastered and released for XBO which delighted a good few I'm sure

2015 and beyond

In 2015 the legendary Halo series continued. I loved Halo 5 and was easily the best exclusive game released in 2015 (yes yes i can hear you already, but what about Bloodborne Podge, well I say pfft to that).

MS finally looked to be hitting their groove. They'd dropped the price, Kinect was being slowly but surely pushed to one side, and they were releasing quality games.

E3 2015 brought the news that MS were bringing in backwards capability to the delight of millions!

2016 brought us Gears 4, a series that was wonderful on the 360 and is getting better on the X1, and more Forza Horizon (it's better than the main series lets just all agree). Ori showed us that MS weren't all just massive AAA title but also could focus on indie like games. MS also started getting some of those previous PS4 exclusive games during this year to further reduce the difference.

Not to mention the tease of something bigger & better at E3 2016!!!!

UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

2017 started off with a bang, the Switch was out and it was swinging hard with Zelda but Xbox already had an ace up it's sleeve. the Xbox One X was formally announced in June of 2017 and boasted a power boost nobody realistically expected from MS

Xbox One X was a beast. It put MS back at the top of power and performance. It also proved to the masses that MS was no longer trying to diversify it's gaming platform to everything (TV TV TV we all remember you!) but it was aiming to be the standard bearer.

2018 truely showed the gap. Games looked and played better on X1X, good news was coming out of the MS camp, devs being acquired showed MS's desire to push forward in the industry

Conclusion

I went on a bit of a ramble i'll admit.

For me Xbox One is the generational masterclass.

Yes they fucked the start and it hurt the sales but they bounced back.

They've released quality games that are best in class for me. I honestly think they're best in gen (yes yes bloodborne fans again and probably some BOTW fans will be baying for blood). They've released a console that's currently unrivaled in power. They've set themselves up to continue to push forward in gaming. They dont look like stopping.
I actually agree with you with everything you said and I will add some stuff of my own if you don't mind. Xbox One really is an amazing console. I love both my PS4 and Xbox One but it is def the Xbox that I go back to daily and play more of and enjoy more of -

Backwards Compatibility
They added Backwards Compatibility which was a huge hit - I love BC - I don't trade or sell my games so I have over 200 Hard Copies of Xbox 360 Games and 80% of them work on Xbox One - I just love that.

Multi-HDD Support
They added External HDD support way before PS4 as well - That made me buy all 3rd Party Titles on Xbox One because now I can just add external drives to the system - In fact I can add up to 3 HDD to the system - Which PS4 still doesn't allow. I have 3 Xbox Ones - Launch / Gears 4 Edition / Xbox One X - All of them have 2 HDD connected to them.

Media Streaming - More Formats
They added Media Streaming to Xbox One before PS4 got that feature back - And from my experience the amount of formats Xbox One supports is almost unlimited - I've had issues with certain files not working with media streaming on PS4 but never on Xbox One - When it comes to streaming stuff from my PC - Xbox One is my go to console.

Power of X
Then came the beast that is Xbox One X - Which as you mentioned plays all 3rd Party games BEST on Xbox One X - So I was buying all 3rd Party games on Xbox One before but now I have another reason to do so. These 3rd party games do work and look best on Xbox One X - Witcher III, Assassin's Creed Origins, Odyssey, DOOM, Wolfenstein Series, Control, Rainbow Six Siege, Mordor Series - etc.

Achievements Sync
Also simple features like Achievements and Cloud Saving is GOD SENT on Xbox One - On PS4 if you get any trophies, you need to go to trophy section and sync them in order for your friends to see them right away - Xbox One, if you get that achievement, it is uploaded that very second.

Cloud Saving done right
Another simple feature which I am sure not many people use here but it is GOD SENT for me is cloud saving. I know PS Plus allows your saves to be uploaded to the cloud and all, but it is not done right away - For a guy like me who owns 2 PS4 systems, (Launch and Pro), if I am playing a game in my bedroom and I decide to stop playing there and head to my man cave to continue - and game supports auto save feature - I can't just shut my PS4 and head to PS4 Pro - I have to make sure to go to the dashboard - please select on the game and then go to upload/download save files, and then copy over the files to the cloud which takes some time (Games like MK11 which I played a lot, takes 5-7 minutes sometimes) and then once it is uploaded, I can turn the system off, head downstairs, turn my PS4 Pro on, highlight the game and again press select and go to Upload/Down Saves and then download those save files on to the system which now will take 5-7 minutes (depending on the game) again and THEN I can continue playing where I left off -

On Xbox One, all is not needed at all - Playing any game, I can switch off my console completely, head downstairs to my Xbox One X, turn it on, and start playing the game and it auto-sync the save files from cloud and I am good to go within 2 seconds. I know this is a feature which almost nobody uses but for people that own 2 Xbox Ones and 2 PS4s, trust me, it is amazing!

Multi App
Also being able to run multiple apps on Xbox One is an excellent feature - Back in the days when Halo MCC just came out, the matches would take long to start and all, I played Trial Fusion in between, while waiting in the lobby and my friends would tell me that we are good to go. It is a simple feature but an excellent one.

Customer Wallpapers - More options
Even for the custom wallpapers - Xbox One X allows all sorts of wallpapers to be added except for one restriction (it has to be smaller than 3MB in file size) - As for PS4 Pro - If your custom wallpaper isn't the exact right size you cannot use it as a custom wallpaper which can get very annoying - Cannot just download any wallpaper but only 3840 x 2160 one (I believe) -

I love all 3 of my consoles and yes they do have their pros and cons but I agree with you that Xbox One is just an amazing console and has a lot to offer - And yes as it plays 3rd party games BEST on it, I do have more games on Xbox One than PS4 -

Last edited:

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
You're getting dog piled for this, and tbh rightfully so. Everyone has different opinions but this is a REALLY bad one. You're free to like what you like but for your own sake I wouldn't share it with others because the vast majority completely disagree.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
Arguing that MSoft releasing X1X is somehow better than having a 1st party release like Zelda is truly some funny shit. Like ok they released a good box? But what do I play on it? Thats the whole point of these plastic boxes, to you know, play games on them.

(I say this as someone that has a PS4/Pro, Xbox One/X, a switch and a PC. I love my X1X but if you compare it to any other modern gaming platform its probably the weakest and has the most flaws) Game pass is awesome tho

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're getting at OP albeit the post is a bit poorly written. Sony definitely had them beat all generation, but Microsoft definitely nailed a lot of things, while absolutely failing at others. They absolutely fumbled the launch between the higher price, the weaker hardware, the Kinect and the mixed messaging about DRM, but on the other hand I dare to say it easily had a better launch line-up than PS4 or Wii U.

The problems though arose later because the first parties just kinda dried up. Forza Horizon was still incredible, Gears was only fine, Halo 5 had a lovely multiplayer but a disappointing single player (and the MCC launch was a mess), and the other games... well, they just kinda didn't arrive. They definitely turned a lot of things around to compensate by pushing for crossplay, doing excellent enhanced backwards compatible games, launching Game Pass (best value in gaming atm), pushing for PC as well, xCloud being already impressive and so on. And the games are also finally coming, as 2020 is gonna have at least 10 first parties that we know of already, including some quality franchises like Halo, Age Of Empires and Ori.

Again, it's all groundwork for next-gen mainly because they did a lot of things wrong this generation. But they've had their moments, and already Xbox One X is a great console. But yeah, the real test of where Microsoft can stand will be the launch of next-gen consoles.

On a side note, it's disappointing to see so many users accusing OP of being paid by Microsoft, astroturfing, using drugs and so on. For a place that has daily threads about franchise x, game y or console z be the best thing since sliced bread, and for a place that is supposed to be inclusive, this thread sure isn't friendly at all.

Deleted member 30365

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
OP, while I value your opinion and kudos for you for having one, I'm sincerely wonder if there is a practice of astroturfing going on in this forum. Don't get me wrong, I have an Xbox One and a One X, but that is because I'm a video game hoarder and have more than I need and use, but ERA is the only place in the whole Internet where I constantly see giving all praise and shout to Microsoft.

* puts tin foil hat on *

Status
Not open for further replies.