• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
  1. We need an Xbox-equivalent of the Playstation platinum trophy. You can call it an "Xbox completion".

1. Each game should have an "Xbox completion" for completing the original 1000 gamerscore.
    2. For some older Xbox 360 arcade titles (which had 200 gamerscore, 400 gamerscore, or 500 gamerscore, depending on the type of title) there should also be an "Xbox completion".

2. Each game should very explicitly segregate DLC achievements into their own lists, just like Playstation does.

1. Consider Gears 5 - it has several new groups of achievements added on top of the 1000 gamerscore. For Gears 5, the DLC achievements should be grouped into 6 different lists, exactly the way TrueAchievements.com does it: Operation 3 achievements, Operation 4 achievements, etc.

I think that's all it would take to make me a happy man.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
It's minimal but I'd also like a way to reveal a hidden achievements name and description, that's the one thing I feel Trophies really have over Xbox. It's a pain when you're looking at a wall of hidden achievements and have no clue what you're missing and need to cross-reference with a list online

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think they are fine just doing their own thing and not being like Sony at all. It's bad enough I'm completing quests everyday I'm in Gamepass.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've thought about this before and I'm fairly 50/50 on it. I think it's usage depends on the game. For example, Smite, a game that's been going since 2015 on Xbox and now has upwards of 4,500 achievement points available... The original 1000 points are basically meaningless in 2021. Completing that set and getting a special completion award means nothing. You haven't completed anything. It's had six years of updates and content since then and all of it is as important.

Same with something like Sea of Thieves. The original 1000/1000 gamerscore doesn't include things like the Tall Tales, which I think most people would agree are a pretty core part of the game now. The original 1000 points includes inane things like selling x hundred amount of fruit crates which is a meaningless stat in 2021. The things they've added and concentrated on since are more relevant to 'completing' the games' challenges but wouldn't be included.

I think I'd lean towards either having an award for getting every achievement (like, every one, not just the initial 1000 - this would obviously have to be able to be lost if more get added) or none.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they've lagged behind PlayStation in that regard.

A completion/platinum would be great. For example, I have exactly 1000GS in Forza Motorsport 3 and Forza Motorsport 6. FM3 is completed, while FM6 just happens to have DLC that got me to 1000GS.

Splitting updates, DLC, and even different games, would be ideal. The Master Chief Collection's achievement list is unusable with 700 achievements for six games and many updates. The only way to properly see DLC and updates separate is by going through TrueAchievements.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind some old achievement features being brought back. I frequently used the Xbox mobile app to track achievements -- what I was close to getting, what I was missing, what my friends' progress looked like by comparison -- but they yanked that shortly before the Series S|X launch. I know that functionality exists on the Xbox itself, but it's not nearly as convenient.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Im not a fan of the platinums. Ehat i would love to see (and this might be controversial aswell) is repeatable achievements. Not all of them, a select few. It shouldnt be faster than grinding achievements the normal way. But i would like to get achievements in games that i play for a long time. Like halo could have an chievement for killing 1000 players in multiplayer and be worth like 50 points. Its not much, its not an efficient way to grind gamerscore but i would make those games more fun to me. Same for completing a games campaign. You could get 50 or 100 points for completing the campaign and you could repeat it. Again, not very efficient, just a little something for when you replay a game.

Oct 28, 2017
The rarity concept someone came up with awhile ago i thought was a neat idea. Colored rarity tiers like loot games do nowadays. Yellow, Purple, Blue, Green and maybe a Diamond for full completion.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Nothing against achievements and those improvements, but I having much more fun not looking to platinums (as I looked on the PS4) and now to 100%. With Gamepass I want to play the most games I can, and I don't want to be playing for trophies. (Sorry achievements, first time with xbox)
I still like when a achievement unlocks, I like that most xbox trophies to complete the games are valued in 100 points, but I only do the achievements tied to the gameplay I do for complete the story or while I like to play the game. I recently finished Plague Tale and I had 2 or 3 achievements I could do in 10 minutes with chapter selection, I opted not for do It.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I could swear that Microsoft used to somehow call out "completed" games in this fashion, but I feel as though it's something that fell along the wayside with changes to the profiles over time. I distinctly recall the "completed" games being separated from the other ones somehow. I don't need anything along the lines of a platinum trophy, though. Frankly, I like the way the achievement system works now, especially when I bit a rare achievement. Very satisfying. That said, I don't know if I'd want anything special for "completing" a game's achievements, as I think some of the accessibility problems surrounding video games are largely due to the achievement scene.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I agree about the DLC part but I like that there are no Platinum trophies on Xbox.

I always felt like I had to either get every trophy on a PS4 game or I shouldn't even bother. With the Gamerscore I don't feel like I am missing out on not reaching 1000G as getting 800G is no different than 1000G.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
The rarity concept someone came up with awhile ago i thought was a neat idea. Colored rarity tiers like loot games do nowadays. Yellow, Purple, Blue, Green and maybe a Diamond for full completion.

That's actually neat. Would devalue certain games that are known to be a quick & easy 1000GS since they would be more common. Feels like we've had Gamerscore "inflation" in recent years lol.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Number 2 is huge for me. It bugs me when I get all the achievements for a game then go back a year later and it says I have 50% of the achievements. We should be able to see base game achievements separate from individual DLC achievements.

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

Especially the missing Platinum Trophy is a shame.

Oct 28, 2017
That's actually neat. Would devalue certain games that are known to be a quick & easy 1000GS since they would be more common. Feels like we've had Gamerscore "inflation" in recent years lol.
Yeah i think the concept was that the colored rarity of an achievement would change depending on the percentage of people who have it. Which Microsoft and Sony currently surface. So lets say an achievement has a <2% rarity on Xbox Live it would be Yellow. As more people achieve it the rarity goes down and becomes greater than 2%, thus becoming a Purple and so on. So theoretically an easy to complete game like Avatar The Last Airbender would be full of common greens.

I think it was Klobrille honestly lol.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'd like some things people have suggested
A 0G completion award
Separated update/DLC completions
Showing hidden details

I also still want a Mii Plaza sort of thing but requiring much bigger numbers, as you meet so many people online

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered what ended up happening to this... back in 2017 MS people were talking about big changes coming and nothing.. happened.

www.xboxachievements.com

Some Fundamental Changes to Achievements Might be Coming

It appears that Microsoft could be planning some &quotfundamental&quot changes to the way that achievements work on Xbox according to Corporate VP of ...

In my opinion they really do not care about them any longer. Just like the game stats that they no longer push (time played and more).. they have annoyed me in the recent years with their slow move away from any attention on systems like achievements that they made popular.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I could swear that Microsoft used to somehow call out "completed" games in this fashion, but I feel as though it's something that fell along the wayside with changes to the profiles over time. I distinctly recall the "completed" games being separated from the other ones somehow.
It's on a tab in the 360 dashboard. It's basically a platinum.

Inversely, I think the addition of trophies has let developers get lazy with achievements. I can't stand all those "get all other achievements" achievements that are worth 100pts. That's obviously a trophy.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see these kinds of changes/improvements. I care most about DLC-specific achievements being sub-divided, just because that can effect the actual approach by a player for which achievements they're working toward.

I do like the diamond achievement rarity status they added several years back, and I think 1000/1000 has its own significance already (as opposed to a "completed" label).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Id rather not have completed trophies thanks. It's meaningless (as achievements in general are) but in a kinda mean spirit way where the smaller parts of your progress don't really matter much when the big shiny trophy at the end is "what counts".

Splitting DLC from game should be there day one though.

I always wondered what ended up happening to this... back in 2017 MS people were talking about big changes coming and nothing.. happened.

www.xboxachievements.com

Some Fundamental Changes to Achievements Might be Coming

It appears that Microsoft could be planning some &quotfundamental&quot changes to the way that achievements work on Xbox according to Corporate VP of ...

The achievement tracker is a big change that gets often overlooked.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I like collecting Platinums but I do think there are drawbacks. Check out the Destruction Allstars subreddit/OT and see what percentage of posts are around the frustration of the Platinum being too hard/frustrating to get.

Nobody gives a shit if they get 750 or 1000 gamerscore. You don't see the same drive to 'go for plat' in every game. Which has its pluses and minuses id say.

I feel like a lot of games have switched to a 'getting the platinum is fairly straightforward' because they've realised that people feel happy when they get it and makes them feel good about the game.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Feels to me like they're burying achievements in the various UIs with recent updates. You can't even see your Gamerscore/games you've played in the app anymore, or anywhere beyond the home screen on the Xbox.

I'd also like to see system level achievements, similar to what Peloton does. Play 50 FPS games, play 100 hours, consecutive day/week streaks. Feel like that would be a fun addition.

Also bring back achievements for non-games. Anyone else remember when Netflix, Hulu, etc. had achievements at Xbox One launch?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I could swear that Microsoft used to somehow call out "completed" games in this fashion, but I feel as though it's something that fell along the wayside with changes to the profiles over time. I distinctly recall the "completed" games being separated from the other ones somehow. I don't need anything along the lines of a platinum trophy, though. Frankly, I like the way the achievement system works now, especially when I bit a rare achievement. Very satisfying.

There used to be a completed games tab on the 360 UI that called out your completions (including DLC), but it doesn't exist on the One. That would be neat to have back.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way the system works now. I don't think a Platinum trophy equivalent would add anything.

True Achievements satisfies my needs for additional tracking/stats tools.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Id rather not have completed trophies thanks. It's meaningless (as achievements in general are) but in a kinda mean spirit way where the smaller parts of your progress don't really matter much when the big shiny trophy at the end is "what counts".

Splitting DLC from game should be there day one though.

The achievement tracker is a big change that gets often overlooked.
But they are talking about deeper stuff.. like if someone only plays one game how do they get recognition. Seems lots of things maybe died with Mike Y left.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I am actually fine with the achievement system. The rare achievement with the diamond is enough for me to be honest.

Don't really care about trophies on PS4 though. I deactivated the notifications completely.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Im okay with the achievements as they are I just wish they would add some way to view them in the app again.
Im not sure why they removed the ability to do that and now I have to rely on a third party app.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
100%

Achievement system needs a rejuvenation. There needs to be an accolade for 100% (or getting all achievements) in a game.

Microsoft introduced achievements but let Sony surpass them with a similar model (platinum trophies) and Microsoft has made no strides to do the same. Baffling

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
But they are talking about deeper stuff.. like if someone only plays one game how do they get recognition. Seems lots of things maybe died with Mike Y left.

well you said that nothing happened, i just mentioned something that did

and to me at least achievement tracking is far more useful and helpful than a flashy "congratz you got all cheevos on this one game take this stamp *slap*"

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird but I feel with the platinum system it's platinum or bust for me if I decide to go for more trophies in a game.

I don't feel that way with achievements. Kinda refreshing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with platinums is how do you represent that on Gamerscores? Sony doesn't have this issue since their trophy system put more emphasis on how many platinum trophies you have versus their level system which no many people care about. The only solution would be to bring an extra number indicating all your completed games (eg: g 66205/ 15) and I'm sure that retroactively implementing that would be a pain in the ass on those games that have dlc achievements

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah, both of the changes you mentioned would really improve the system. I would really love some sort of platinum equivalent because it's such a better reward than just 100% completion.

Jul 1, 2020
Even though I vastly prefer trophies to achievements I like that both are doing something different and have their own upsides and downsides. I think it's far more satisfying to earn a single achievement than a single trophy but more satisfying to platinum a game than to get 1000G. I don't think achievements need a big overhaul, just a few small tweaks.
Although Microsoft should definitely separate games in compilations and DLC achievements, some lists like the Master Chief Collection are just absurdly big.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
After grinding Seriously on Gears of War I don't think I'll ever hunt down an achievement or related accolade ever again.

The completionist in my is well and truly dead.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's minimal but I'd also like a way to reveal a hidden achievements name and description, that's the one thing I feel Trophies really have over Xbox. It's a pain when you're looking at a wall of hidden achievements and have no clue what you're missing and need to cross-reference with a list online

If you go into all achievements and then check the progress of a game you can click on hidden achievements and use the 'search for help' to get all the info.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Although Microsoft should definitely separate games in compilations and DLC achievements, some lists like the Master Chief Collection are just absurdly big.

Yeah, some long lasting games like MCC have basically unmanageable achievement lists at this point. There needs to be a better way for devs to filter them out into their own categories (single player, multiplayer, expansions etc)

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I like collecting Platinums but I do think there are drawbacks. Check out the Destruction Allstars subreddit/OT and see what percentage of posts are around the frustration of the Platinum being too hard/frustrating to get.

Nobody gives a shit if they get 750 or 1000 gamerscore. You don't see the same drive to 'go for plat' in every game. Which has its pluses and minuses id say.

I feel like a lot of games have switched to a 'getting the platinum is fairly straightforward' because they've realised that people feel happy when they get it and makes them feel good about the game.

This is why I think combining Xbox's number score with PlayStation's "Platinum" completion is ideal. You still have the distinction of 750G vs. 1000G, but get a nice bonus if you decide to go for the completion. Meanwhile, anything less than a Platinum on PlayStation feels... empty? Even though you could translate percentages into numbers in your head, seeing "Achievement Unlocked - 50G" is more exciting than "Trophy Unlocked - Bronze" hundreds of times. It is to me, anyway.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I agree some acknowledgment for completionists would be nice, but then it feels like with Microsoft, having a "high" Gamerscore is the ultimate goal. Even the monthly charts against your friends imply this in a way. So it's probably more about playing lots of games rather than completing them from a design standpoint.

I do like the rarity functions though and Xbox was actually fairly early with tracking your achievement progress, so you could see how much you are missing from completing a certain objective straight from the menu. PS5 now has a similar system.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly not too bothered, I like the simplicity. I suppose a badge or something for completion sounds fine, kinda like the 360 did really.

Outside of that, I don't want trophies or medals. The rarity is a nice compromise that isn't in your face. Don't go putting layers on achievements.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Yep, Xbox lost me going for achievements the moment Sony brought out trophies with the Platinums. I would probably care a little more about them again if they had something similar to it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I think combining Xbox's number score with PlayStation's "Platinum" completion is ideal. You still have the distinction of 750G vs. 1000G, but get a nice bonus if you decide to go for the completion. Meanwhile, anything less than a Platinum on PlayStation feels... empty? Even though you could translate percentages into numbers in your head, seeing "Achievement Unlocked - 50G" is more exciting than "Trophy Unlocked - Bronze" hundreds of times. It is to me, anyway.

All I know is that if there was a platinum available for Sea of Thieves right now i (and a lot of community) would be going insane trying to grind to it where, as it is right now, I don't care that my achievement score is an uneven *checks achievements* 2,115 out of 2,790 šŸ˜…

I might prefer the latter way and being more zen about not 'completing the core content' for a shiny badge.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another issue with the trophy system is that the tier of those have zero thought on it, besides the platinum and the gold trophy that you get for "finishing" the story mode, it makes no sense why a trophy is silver or bronze, since some of them are much more harder than others, and also they feel that they don't add anything to your account even though they have an standarized number that adds to your overall ranking.

Also Microsoft is a more GaaS oriented publisher than the single player driven Sony, so giving platinums to those games would be absolute hell, at least I'm now on peace with myself that I will never complete Gears 5 or Sea of Thieves, but that I still have a very high gamerscore on both of them

Honestly the only thing that I want from MS is add an achievement expositor that you can put on your profile like steam does, even go the extra mile and put the games that you completed.

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft should also get credit for some of the recent changes they've made to achievements. All of which some of us may take for granted:

1. Achievement counters/tracking. In other words, if an achievement asks you to get a certain number of something (or perform a task a certain number of times), the achievement tracker will show you how much you've done.
  2. Achievement descriptions show up on-screen whenever you pop an achievement.
  3. Rare achievements - whenever an achievement has been earned by less than 10% of people, there is a special symbol/sound that appears on-screen whenever you pop the achievement.
  4. The ability to put an achievement counter/tracker on-screen (you can choose where/when you want it, and the opacity/transparency of the tracker).
  5. The ability to hide 0-gamerscore games.
  6. Embedding TrueAchievements within the Xbox OS itself, allowing you to search achievement solutions.

But at the same time, I really, really want my two suggestions from the OP.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018
I feel like adding "Xbox/Microsoft has made some amazing strides recently, BUT" in the title adds no value.

I would also like the achievement system to be more fun (generally). How achievements tie into MS Rewards and Game Pass is great.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yes, the achievement system needs a overhaul. They be insignificant and shallow, but they make you feel part of the community and it's a nice way to track your progress.

I would like to have a little symbol for when you actually finish a game, even without 100% completion. Something like, the dev can flag an achievement as a "game completed tracker", and when you unlock it it means you actually finished the game or at least the main story.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Yeah, this actually disappointed me going into this generation. It does feel like they've have been somewhat forgotten about. I've never really liked how achievements have been presented since the start of Xbox One. I always thought the way they were presented on 360 was much cleaner, easier to navigate and I liked the addition of the tab for games which you had 100% complete, which for me is a good enough trade-off for platinums:

So yeah, I'd be open to a revamp. I think a lot could be done with how it is presented currently. I don't like how much the current set-up seems to prioritize the monthly leaderboard stuff and comparing with friends. I'd much rather have a cleaner presentation that focuses on my achievements and stats. I like the idea of better distinction for DLC and compilations. I'm not sure about pushing for an equivalent of a platinum - like I say, I think a tab for completed games is good enough. But maybe the last achievement you unlock has a different sound / icon in the way rare achievements do?

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like adding "Xbox/Microsoft has made some amazing strides recently, BUT" in the title adds no value.

I would also like the achievement system to be more fun (generally). How achievements tie into MS Rewards and Game Pass is great.

See my post #46 - what I meant was, although Microsoft/Xbox has made good changes to the achievement system in the past generation, I want to see them improve it even more.