• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is really great, I have a huge amount of appreciation for all the wonderful BC features Microsoft has invested in. It's one of the main reasons I bought a Series X (after Game Pass, obvs). Can't wait to see what other games this expands to.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I really hope they're working on making it standard on every Xbox, and 360 tittles, as well as a resolution bump.

Pretty amazing work. Their commitment to bc is why I jumped on Xbox.
This is literally never happening, so please don't hope for it lol.

These will always be curated lists of select titles because of the way it works. They'll still need to test all these games individually if everything works properly and above all need permission from original developers and publishers to maintain the artistic integrity.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic. Going to try out Sniper Elite and Far Cry 4. Can't wait to see what other games the boost comes to in the future.

Kinda feels like Ubisoft should update Watch Dogs 2 to at least the same resolution as PS4 Pro, given that MS have effectively made the game run better for them for free.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Incredible, Gears 3 at 60 would make me buy xsx again, the influx of new players would surely be great.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Sekiro is unlocked so it already goes all the way up to 60. Please do this for all the dark souls though.
Yes please. Dark Souls 3 in particular because it also released before the one X so it runs at 900p I believe. I replayed it recently and while I loved it 900p 30FPS was not really a good experience. bumping that to 60 would really transform that.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
They say in the DF video that they were told that this could come to OG Xbox and 360 titles. In theory.
Is it? I had no idea o.o

The only quote I remember about this was when they mentioned it in this article.

But it doesn't specifically says anything about being for Xbox One titles only. Maybe this was said by Jason Ronald in one of his many interviews? I'll try to find it.

I thought it was mostly for the séries S in general more than Series X. Since the X can get some enhanced from the previous One X profiles. But i hope it extends to OG and 360 titles.

Since we got 2 Ubisoft games on this batch, give me some faith for Origins/Odissey and FC5 at 60!

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
*returns to his Mirror's Edge shrine and lights the candles* Please, oh please Microsoft (and EA), get Catalyst working with this technology.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
All I want is freaking Bloodborne at 60fps on my PS5... is that too much to ask Sony? :/

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
But thats the thing; Sony can't make things happen retro-actively; MS has made specific choices throughout the years that have resulted them being able to do this.
Developers of the RPCS3 emulator have a mode that enables double frame rate on some PS3 games. Can Sony do the same for PS4 games? No idea, but they can do a lot more than what they are doing, which is maybe a patch a month for a random popular first party title and only if it was a PS4 game.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Really cool and looking forward to them updating more titles. Xbox commitment to BC is refreshing

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I know this is a long shot but I just want Sonic Generations at 60FPS but also hope they bring Max Payne 3 to BC and enhance the hell out of it with 60FPS too!

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Yep, I know it is hard to not compare but people could just like, think, regardless if Sony wants or not to have a bigger commitment with BC, this type of tech can't appear overnight with magic, which is a bummer but yeah.
Hopefully they are taking notes with MS and making stuff behind the scenes lol, I won't hold my breath though.
The excuse for Sony doesn't hold much water when they just released new hardware. If there are changes that need to happen on the hardware or API level, this would have been the time to solve that.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I'm interested in the initial titles the fps boost supports, but looking forward to seeing more bc games use it in the future. Hoping to see RE2 if only because I'm used to the 120fps knife on the pc. :p

This feature is something that can probably be easily increased with each new console, which is a pretty cool thought. What is boosted now to 60 could be 120 fps in a couple of years.

Oct 29, 2017
Funny enough some really old school OG Xbox had uncapped Frame rates. Morrowind for example runs at a ridiculous framerate lol. Knights of the Old Repulbic also runs 60 FPS in backcompat.

The BioShock titles on 360, oddly enough, allow you to unlock the framerate. Who knows why they thought that was a good idea on Xbox 360 hardware but it works out pretty nicely on Series X|S.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a more in-depth explanation of how they're actually doing this than the brief snippet in the DF video?

It sounds like the method would be applicable to even older than One games, which would be excellent news, but regardless it's awesome to see them do this and one of the reasons I've been purchasing games in their ecosystem since the BC program opened.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair there is probably a lot of testing done from MS side to guarantee nothing is broken while boost mode is on.

Must be nice for the devs that made the games that are now seeing their games running better.

Oh yeah, it's not no work. It's (essentially) no work on the original devs side. MS have clearly done a ton of work.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Incredible stuff. The BC team continues to amaze me.

It's an interesting choice of games. New Super Lucky's Tale is the only one I have on Xbox, though I don't own a 120fps display to take advantage of the boost.

I'm a little surprised there are no Microsoft published titles in the first lot.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean Microsoft didn't start the X1 gen with BC, so they had to start somewhere with what they are doing. My point was I wish Sony would see how well this has done for Xbox and build a team like Microsoft did specifically for this purpose. I doubt that will happen, but it would be nice if every console manufacturer took it as seriously as Phil did.

They started 'somewhere', but they also leveraged the fact that how the Xbox OS works (which is is still Windows-based and with games running basically running in a VM) which is different from what Sony has been doing. Because of Xbox's more 'decoupled' design it has been possible to basically put a lot of effort into writing a software emulator being able to play older games. Sony's current solution is much more akin to hardware emulation, with the system itself acting like its a PS4/PRo.

* small note: it has been a while since I read about how Xbox BC-stuff works so I might be off on a few things

Developers of the RPCS3 emulator have a mode that enables double frame rate on some PS3 games. Can Sony do the same for PS4 games? No idea, but they can do a lot more than what they are doing, which is maybe a patch a month for a random popular first party title and only if it was a PS4 game.

Oh I agree on that. I do kinda hope that they will bring some form of emulation for the older consoles down the line.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just need it to go on sale. It is $49.99 on the Xbox Store right now...no way am I paying that much for it. Hopefully they will have a sale on it soon.
I know haha, i looked instantly. i've seen it go on sale multiple times, just never had a reason to buy it over the PS4 version. but i'll gladly drop $10 to play it 60fps

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
If you said "patch-begging" that would make more sense. The games already plays on the PS5.

The point is that xbox is really investing into older games running better on new hardware, and its amazing.
"Patch-begging", oh boy, what a mouthful. Haha yeah that's what I meant. :D

I played and finished God of War yesterday. Couldn't finish the first chapter on PS4, and destroyed the game on PS5 with its silky smoothness. Do wish Sony was all in on it, there are so many games that I want to play but haven't because of lack of 60fps. I will clear my backlog if they all supported 60fps.

But yeah, Microsoft is KILLING IT!! They deserve all the praise with their daily communications, and QoL updates.

Sony is hibernating and waiting for their future games to speak for itself; they will probably hibernate till the Summer.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished up Watch Dogs 2 a few months ago, I should have waited a bit longer.

This is super great though, hopefully much more on the way.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will be interested for Xbox one X optimized game. For one S it's still blurry ass imho.

Oct 27, 2017
*returns to his Mirror's Edge shrine and lights the candles* Please, oh please Microsoft (and EA), get Catalyst working with this technology.
Catalyst was 60fps but it came out before the One X so it doesn't have a 4K mode. I think it's like 900P. The first game on 360 can be played in 4K but it's stuck at 30 fps. It would really benefit from a 60 fps bump.

Unfortunately the games didn't sell that well so I imagine they're lower priority for getting any type of graphics bump.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Which is why I'm still surprised Sony doesn't give a shit. It's clearly making a difference for Xbox so I figured Sony would eventually be like yeah we should at least care a little more about this. Oh well it is what it is. My Series X will be playing a ton of X1 games soon it seems.
Yeah, it's honestly pretty surprising how little Sony cares about backwards compatibility and long term eco-system support, but at least PS4 on PS5 works incredibly well (and a lot of games run better than XSX for now thanks to the performance differential between PS4 Pro and PS5) and they did offer some enhancement tools to the game devs to allow doubled frame rates as well, even though they lack the wizardry powers of the Xbox BC team.

It sucks too because we know that they have emulators for PS1, PS2 and PSP that run on PS4 hardware, and I have no doubts they could build a PS3 and PS Vita emulator as well, but they just outright refuse to further invest in there...

I just hope that they keep it up and that the PS6 can play PS4 and PS5 games, but based on how PS4 compatibility on PS5 works I am not so sure that will be possible.
Cool if they can extend this back all the way to OG Xbox titles.
In the Digital Foundry vid John Linneman says that Jason Ronald says that the technology is applicable to Xbox 360 and OG Xbox titles, so they definitely can and likely will do it.

Hoping for 60fps Splinter Cell series now, damn it
Can't watch the video now, but is NSLT 120 hz? Cause that I'd absolutely love to check out myself.
Yeah, New Super Lucky's Tale is 120fps on both Series X and S, at 4k and 1080p respectively.

Funny enough some really old school OG Xbox had uncapped Frame rates. Morrowind for example runs at a ridiculous framerate lol. Knights of the Old Repulbic also runs 60 FPS in backcompat.
Wait really? I'm about to get my old KOTOR disk and start playing that now, had no idea it was 60fps on Xbox One/X, same with Morrowind. Thank you for letting me know because holy shit

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a long shot but I just want Sonic Generations at 60FPS but also hope they bring Max Payne 3 to BC and enhance the hell out of it with 60FPS too!

Digital Foundry call out Sonic Generations in their video at the end. Hopefully Microsoft is watching (they definitely are).

As I say in every one of these threads, games that released on PC at the same time as consoles are good candidates for this upgrade. Games that were built with 30fps consoles as their only target might have issues if they weren't originally tested at 60fps.

The games showcased here tick that PC box.

I'm very excited to see a Skyrim/Fallout 4 comparison with the direct 3d technique Microsoft is using to change framerates versus the mods that enables 60fps. I wonder if it'll be identical performance or if there will be a difference. The same i imagine.

Also hoping for Yakuza Kiwami 2 to get the upgrade. Hopefully Yakuza 6 supports the Series S/X natively.

Now we just need to hear about resolution bumping and whether they can take a game like Gears of War Ultimate which is 1080p30 and bump it up to 4k60.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
None of these first games are One X enhanced, right? I'm curious if they could apply that to already enhanced games running at higher resolution, on Series X of course. For example, Darksiders 3 (or Genesis) at 4k and 60 fps on a console, it would look awesome.
Looking forward to many more games having this applied.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The excuse for Sony doesn't hold much water when they just released new hardware. If there are changes that need to happen on the hardware or API level, this would have been the time to solve that.
Not really. You need to enable devs or tell them at the beginning of gen You wish to emulate further. What MS achieved was thw result of setting things up for X One generation. I imagine Sony doing that for this gen going forward which You will see when PS6 launches.
But quite frankly all You need is do what devs do with PC for 30 years now.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
None of these first games are One X enhanced, right? I'm curious if they could apply that to already enhanced games running at higher resolution, on Series X of course. For example, Darksiders 3 (or Genesis) at 4k and 60 fps on a console, it would look awesome.
Looking forward to many more games having this applied.
UFC and Lucky are One X enhanced