• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
This is amazing. Hope to see this across a huge swath of games. Dark Souls 3 is one I hope for in particular. Another post mentioned it, but the way the Xbox team is handling backwards compatibility makes me want to invest into the ecosystem more. Similar to how every game on my steam library continues to function over the years, my Xbox collection now feels like it has longevity.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Guys, play New Super Lucky's Tale. It's a cute, easy to play platformer. A good game to show and play with your loved ones.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
- Destiny 1
- Gears 2 & 3
- Forza Horizon 2 & FF
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 (& most likely 6: Song of Life)
- Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, LR
- Red Dead Redemption
- Sonic Generations
- Bully

So many good games that could use 60fps or higher. Super excited for this program! Hope they also add an option for resolution bumps, but happy with this so far!

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the article states it's a mode you can toggle on/off then for all intents and performance it is an FPS "boost mode":

Anyway, my post was just in jest.

I know that, but the "boost mode" has always been a thing since the One X release, the games always benefit from the extra horsepower. This fps boost is on a whole new level.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I really hope they're working on making it standard on every Xbox, and 360 tittles, as well as a resolution bump.

Pretty amazing work. Their commitment to bc is why I jumped on Xbox.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft literally killing Remastered and Definitive edition.

Read Dead Redemption at 60fps, imagine that

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's amazing.

And I don't mean to look at gift horse in the mouth but Watch Dogs 2 needs a resolution boost more than FPS. That game look like jaggy hell on Xbox.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Maybe I don't understand, but isn't Sony also doing this? Like with the God of War patch? Granted, I don't know of any PS5 patches that boost to 120fps.

Is it different in that PS5 requires specific patches where this just requires a flag to trigger FPS mode?

Sorry, not trying to take away from MS, just trying to understand the difference.
The God of War patch required the developer to go back, makes changes, compile the code and distribute the patch. If that developer were no longer to exist or wouldn't commit the resources to get that patch made then you would never get the game running at 60fps on your console (outside of an unauthorised patch like Bloodborne which can't run on stock consoles).

This is Microsoft making changes that impact the game without any involvement from the developer required. It's transformational and works in a similar way to Auto HDR where Microsoft makes sure it works OK and enables it for games they have tested.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
They do actually raise that at the end of the DF video!

The big difference being that those patches required the devs to go in, update them, test them, basically do the work. This method is game agnostic and doesn't require the devs to touch them. They don't have to be updated to the next gen XDK, they just need approval from the pubs/devs to do it.

A game like Far Cry 4 from 2014 was very unlikely to have a team go in and do the work to unlock the framerate or anything. Probably a lot of people who directly worked on it aren't even there anymore. Xbox have been able to do the work themselves, trick the system into running it at double the framerate and just needed approval from Ubi to unlock it for users.
The thig ins, that his is not a patch, there's no change on the game code at all, this is a system-level surface, the game still think it is running at the original framerate when in fact you're getting at least double the performace. This is crazy good because when you run a game at higher framerate that it was originally developed you can run into issues with the physics and speed, but since the game think it is still running at its original fps you don't get these issues.
Gotcha, so it's the difference between manually patching in the upgrade and just adding the title to a whitelist. I understand now, very impressive work. Thanks!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Their commitment to BC continues to amaze me, they really do look after the existing library for invested players.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Also strange to me that Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and Fallout 4 didn't make the cut for the first batch of games.
I can see why with Fallout 4, downtown Boston is a hole where FPS dies and saying wow 60 FPS for it in an official manner may not be possible unlike with skyrim

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
But thats the thing; Sony can't make things happen retro-actively; MS has made specific choices throughout the years that have resulted them being able to do this.

I mean Microsoft didn't start the X1 gen with BC, so they had to start somewhere with what they are doing. My point was I wish Sony would see how well this has done for Xbox and build a team like Microsoft did specifically for this purpose. I doubt that will happen, but it would be nice if every console manufacturer took it as seriously as Phil did.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when this will roll out for XB360 games. I want Mirrors Edge to get it.

I'm actually most excited (and hopeful) for 360 games support in the future. They mention in the DF vid that they were told that it's possible.

The One obviously got the One X so a lot of (later) games already had enhanced modes and high framerate support. The 360 absolutely did not have that luxury and a lot of great titles are stuck at 30fps. Could be amazing!

Can't watch the video now, but is NSLT 120 hz? Cause that I'd absolutely love to check out myself.

Yeah, on both Series X and S. 4k/120 on Series X and 1080p/120 (up from 1080/30!) on Series S I believe.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
But thats the thing; Sony can't make things happen retro-actively; MS has made specific choices throughout the years that have resulted them being able to do this.
Yep, I know it is hard to not compare but people could just like, think, regardless if Sony wants or not to have a bigger commitment with BC, this type of tech can't appear overnight with magic, which is a bummer but yeah.
Hopefully they are taking notes with MS and making stuff behind the scenes lol, I won't hold my breath though.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
That's pretty good, Sonic Generations should get that since it's 4K on One X but 30 FPS.

I hope they continue to add more BC titles now, I need my DoA games.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Microsoft literally killing Remastered and Definitive edition.

Read Dead Redemption at 60fps, imagine that
Not really killing it since plenty of remasters are being made still. Personally I'm glad remasters still exist. I much rather play the Remastered version over the original release via bc. Just look at Saints Row, Mass Effect, Mafia etc.

But it's great for games that will never get a remastered release. I wonder when we'll get this magic unleashed on original Xbox tittles. 🤔

Oct 29, 2017
It's stuff like this that really justifies investing in Microsoft's ecosystem, even when the exclusive games don't always hit. I feel way more confident my older purchases will have expanded life on new hardware.

This so much. Far Cry 4 has been sitting on my shelf unopened for a while. Now it's like, wow, out of nowhere I get this huge value boost for an old title when I finally crack it open on Series X. So cool!

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I am currently watching it and man, I am freakin' happy that Microsoft is pushing for this!

THIS makes the generation for me. Being able to play games I haven't played yet with better FPS or go back to games I loved to play and play them with higher FPS: game changer.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Awesome to see. Hasn't been any new info on this for a long ass time. So many games I'd like to see supported (Sonic Generations, Mirror's Edge, Ninja Gaiden Black, Dead Space 2). Hell, it would be real neat to see the XBO port of Vanquish at 120fps.

Since the game thinks it's running at its original FPS, how does this work if a game's logic is tied to the framerate? Can it still be increased at the system level?

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
This is so crazy that they're not going in and changing any of the game's code and, as far as the game is concerned, it's still running at 30fps.

To take a game like Far Cry 4 from 2014 and double it's framerate without devs having to go in and unlock it or do anything.

Really magic.
To be fair there is probably a lot of testing done from MS side to guarantee nothing is broken while boost mode is on.

Must be nice for the devs that made the games that are now seeing their games running better.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is so excellent. Categorically, Xbox has the best console ecosystem for long-term support.