• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TameLucas

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
Isnt this updates only for One Games? I thought they said this at the first reveal last year
Is it? I had no idea o.o

The only quote I remember about this was when they mentioned it in this article.
Xbox Wire said:
We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

But it doesn't specifically says anything about being for Xbox One titles only. Maybe this was said by Jason Ronald in one of his many interviews? I'll try to find it.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
Cool feature but that is a very disappointing list of games to start with, hopefully more are coming soon.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I think it's really cool that you'll be able to toggle this and auto HDR on a per game basis. Sometimes I'm not a fan of the Auto HDR and it sucks having to turn the global setting off when the problem is just one game.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that Watch Dogs 2 is in the first batch of titles, when it's not even Xbox One X Enhanced.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly invested in the Xbox ecosystem, but I'm so glad they keep pushing the console market forward when it comes to BC.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Seeing how they've added two Ubisoft games right in the first batch, I think I'll leave my Assassin's Creed Odyssey playthrough on the backburner until the inevitable patch comes in.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
You love to see it. Don't own any of the games in the initial rollout, but I hope they ramp it up quick.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I feel like the most important part of this article was this:
This is just the beginning. We will announce and release more titles featuring FPS Boost soon, as well roll out new menu icons and system settings in an upcoming system update.

First batch is lackluster (even though I own Far Cry 4 lol) but I am definitely excited to see more and more games with FPS boost, and I hope that enhanced games begin to be a relatively common occurrence, kind of like when they would announce new BC games every few weeks during the Xbox One days

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Does anyone think developers might start to pull their old games because this might conflict with maybe a next gen upgrade they were hoping to sell us?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I've shifted the vast majority of purchases to the Xbox ecosystem. It's just safer, on top of cool shit like this.

Keep killing it BC Teams at Microsoft!

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
So.. there's a chance that Yakuza Kiwami 2 will get boosted to 60fps!?

I actually made a post yesterday complaining about 30fps in this game, hah.

Will definitely focus on other games for now in hopes of a 60fps boost.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I second the Sonic games getting this Boost, FPS Boost is literally the name of the main mechanic in Generations and the good half of Unleashed

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Do they say how this is done? Is it motion interpolation, or does the actual code run faster to where it will be more responsive to inputs? Any added latency?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Finished Digital Foundry's overall analysis, cool stuff, I just think these Pre-One X titles really could have some resolution boost, Far Cry 4 looks fuzzy.
WD2 in 60FPS is very nice, Sniper Elite was awful and is totally transformed in 60, Super Lucky Tail looks simply amazing and UFC4 is the least interesting one.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also strange to me that Gears of War: Ultimate Edition and Fallout 4 didn't make the cut for the first batch of games.

Gears was only confirmed for the resolution boost. They hadn't mentioned a 60fps update and seeing how folk had trouble hitting that performance on PC it might be pretty tricky to get on these machines. Fingers crossed though!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I don't understand, but isn't Sony also doing this? Like with the God of War patch? Granted, I don't know of any PS5 patches that boost to 120fps.

Is it different in that PS5 requires specific patches where this just requires a flag to trigger FPS mode?

Sorry, not trying to take away from MS, just trying to understand the difference.

They do actually raise that at the end of the DF video!

The big difference being that those patches required the devs to go in, update them, test them, basically do the work. This method is game agnostic and doesn't require the devs to touch them. They don't have to be updated to the next gen XDK, they just need approval from the pubs/devs to do it.

A game like Far Cry 4 from 2014 was very unlikely to have a team go in and do the work to unlock the framerate or anything. Probably a lot of people who directly worked on it aren't even there anymore. Xbox have been able to do the work themselves, trick the system into running it at double the framerate and just needed approval from Ubi to unlock it for users.

Oct 26, 2018
If they can boost San Andreas and sunset overdrive to 60fps, I'm buyin 3 xboxes.... I don't even need three, bit I need these games at peak console performance!!!

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox stay winning. Really great to see the continued support of their full ecosystem of games. They really didn't have to do this.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's not a "boost mode".
You were saving this tweet to make a zinger that is completely wrong. Well done.
Considering the article states it's a mode you can toggle on/off then for all intents and performance it is an FPS "boost mode":
Starting this Spring, you can go into the "Manage Game" section for any title, where you'll be presented with a new "Compatibility Options" button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost (as well as Auto HDR) on or off.

Anyway, my post was just in jest.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I don't understand, but isn't Sony also doing this? Like with the God of War patch? Granted, I don't know of any PS5 patches that boost to 120fps.

Is it different in that PS5 requires specific patches where this just requires a flag to trigger FPS mode?

Sorry, not trying to take away from MS, just trying to understand the difference.

The thig ins, that his is not a patch, there's no change on the game code at all, this is a system-level surface, the game still think it is running at the original framerate when in fact you're getting at least double the performace. This is crazy good because when you run a game at higher framerate that it was originally developed you can run into issues with the physics and speed, but since the game think it is still running at its original fps you don't get these issues.