• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Once upon a time in a world now gone by, Xbox was friendly, caring and nice. And simply one day, they asked you to pay, for the privilege of being online. We were baffled confused, what's this "internet" do And now they want more of your dimes."

A new video from the youtube channel Knowledgehub who brought you videos like:

- Nintendo Is An Awful Company Now...And That's Nothing New
- Video Games Are About to Cost $70. They Shouldn't Even Cost $60
- You Own Nothing: The True Cost of Digital Media
- Playstation: The Perils of Ego

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
"Once upon a time in a world now gone by, Xbox was friendly, caring and nice. And simply one day, they asked you to pay, for the privilege of being online."

Wasn't Xbox Live always paid?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Xbox Live has been charging us for online play for more than 18 years.

I know because I've paid for every single one of those years.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing of a value to be gained, being contrarian for the sake of generating clicks, based on past videos.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
A new video from the youtube channel Knowledgehub who brought you videos like:

- Nintendo Is An Awful Company Now...And That's Nothing New
- Video Games Are About to Cost $70. They Shouldn't Even Cost $60
- You Own Nothing: The True Cost of Digital Media
- Playstation: The Perils of Ego
Wow they seem like such cheery people

Aug 31, 2019
Joke is on you, I only bought Live Gold for 1 dollar, or the 12 month cards to transform in Ultimate.

I haven't been an Xbox owner for a long time.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Nothing of a value to be gained, being contrarian for the sake of generating clicks, based on past videos.
This. I know paying for online sucks, but companies won't invest a huge amount of money into it otherwise and in the case of XBL, it was the service that changed the standard a user expects out of a online service on console. Nothing was like it, even though PS2 had online already. But it was in shambles.

Don't get me wrong, they make a bank and alot of money that they don't reinvest into the service and as a consumer I would rather not pay anything. But I do think the fact you had to pay for XBL meant they had more of a drive to improve the service and set a new bar for online services and community on consoles.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I won't even click on this awful video title.

Xbox Live was always paid, and when you remember how the only world was back then, if was WELL spend.
While PS3 felt like an complete offline console, Xbox 360 was a multimedia online hub that made the feeling of being on a platform with all your friends around you and instantly accessable, as good as it never were since. The innovative guide menu with the new party system with you always being able to see who in your friendlist opened one in one simple list so that you can immediately join or just one tab next to it look at your friendlist who is online and what they are playing currently.
Something PS5 as example almost completely eliminated again with an f'n awful new system and a weird combination of small pop-up boxes and and no open parties anymore. But on Xbox now it's also not as good as it was back then.
Then they had their Xbox Live store that felt great and XBLA which basically gave Indie games THE kickstart to make them what they are today worldwide.

We all paid for it back then because it was f'n great and because it gave you a feeling that no other platform gave you at that time.

Oct 28, 2017
The title is not wrong. Can we talk about that please? Online being behind a paywall will never not be complete horseshit. And we now live in a world where every console is paid online. It sucks and it sucks that it was allowed to happen so easily.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I haven't seen the video, but I feel it's disingenuous to call out Xbox Live in particular right now when PS and Nintendo both require online as well.

I also feel it's worth pointing out just how much more advanced the Xbox Live service was compared to online multiplayer on the PS2 or PSN on PS3 was. PS3 online was free and it was a much lower quality service in terms of quality and functionality (no cross game party chat, no name changes, no cloud saves until later etc) and Sony never made the effort to improve it until they realized they could monetize it.

So honestly, while online MP could and definitely should be free these days, I'm not so sure that paid online wasn't a necessary evil of sorts tbh.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it's true that mega corporations and pieces of plastic do not love you, this is not exactly breaking news.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this video assuming that paid online only came in with the 360? Because that's what came out 15 years ago.

But Xbox Live had been a thing during the OG Xbox too. Paid, same as now. It's been around since 2002 (I think?)

I don't mean to be pedantic but...

CxUIIvNVEAAqVvr.jpg

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the scam part? I think you get what they say you get for your money.

Absolutely not clicking btw

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really disagree with the premise of the video. Charging for P2P multiplayer has always seemed completely ridiculous to me, and I refuse to sign up for any of these companies' services. Microsoft tried to charge for Live on PC, it was rejected, so they offered the service for free but probably killed any chance GFWL had at success before it even really started.

At least now the subscriptions are somewhat justifiable since they offer access to games and not just the ability to use the internet service you already pay for.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The title is not wrong. Can we talk about that please? Online being behind a paywall will never not be complete horseshit. And we now live in a world where every console is paid online. It sucks and it sucks that it was allowed to happen so easily.
I hear you, but can we talk about what online would've been without XBL (and Halo) setting a new standard, too? Because those two are linked together.

I haven't seen the video, but I feel it's disingenuous to call out Xbox Live in particular right now when PS and Nintendo both require online as well.

I also feel it's worth pointing out just how much more advanced the Xbox Live service was compared to online multiplayer on the PS2 or PSN on PS3 was. PS3 online was free and it was a much lower quality service in terms of quality and functionality (no cross game party chat, no name changes, no cloud saves until later etc) and Sony never made the effort to improve it until they realized they could monetize it.

So honestly, while online MP could and definitely should be free these days, I'm not so sure that paid online wasn't a necessary evil of sorts tbh.

I'm convinced early PSN on PS3 was ran by actual hamsters.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Online should be free, but it's also not a scam. The expected outcome of what you're paying for is clear.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, someone that knows nothing about Original Xbox Live before the 360 era.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
You get the same on PC for free.

But it's not going away, so...
Yeah, this is the biggest sticking point in MS's whole play how you want where you want strategy. PC players get all the same games and all the same social features but they don't have to pay the MS online tax. MS also already makes a ton more money off of a console gamer than a PC gamer even without Xbox Live. It always sucked to have to pay for online but now that they're trying to give the same experience on console and PC but only charging console extra it's even worse.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

What? It's not necessary at all. And it's fine to call out Xbox seeing as they are on pc too but don't charge those players.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Why make this a thread and draw attention to this sort of YouTube junk?

Like, don't get me wrong, I don't think Xbox Live Gold should be a thing in 2021 but to call Xbox Live a scam ever since the 360 is just hyperbole.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
What? It's not necessary at all. And it's fine to call out Xbox seeing as they are on pc too but don't charge those players.
Not for lack of trying. The problem is that on PC players can just go somewhere else and play for free. Offering a "new" service to people that's similar to what they already have but you are charging money and the existing alternatives are free is not a great way to get started.

On a closed platform, you own Microsoft's box so you have to use their services and they can charge whatever they want.
this is purely xbox bashing and console war baiting.

giphy.gif
Not really? The video criticizes Sony and Nintendo for following in Microsoft's footsteps (also calls out PS3 PSN for the joke that it was, and Nintendo's online for being, well, Nintendo's online). It has problems but it's not biased.

Last edited:

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah, this is the biggest sticking point in MS's whole play how you want where you want strategy. PC players get all the same games and all the same social features but they don't have to pay the MS online tax. MS also already makes a ton more money off of a console gamer than a PC gamer even without Xbox Live. It always sucked to have to pay for online but now that they're trying to give the same experience on console and PC but only charging console extra it's even worse.
The only justification I have seen for this is they subdize the hardware.

This to me is like, do you want to take the bitter medicine you need now in full or do you want to fraction it and take it over a period of time?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised to see the negative response to this. Don't folks like Jim Sterling make similar videos and are praised for it? Especially the thing about $70 video games.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
The only justification I have seen for this is they subdize the hardware.

This to me is like, do you want to take the bitter medicine you need now in full or do you want to fraction it and take it over a period of time?
Eh, the 30% cut from every piece of 3rd party content sold more than subsidizes whatever loss (if any) they take on hardware sales.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, they advertised paid Live during the original Xbox, before the PS2 or gamecube could even get online. Not sure how much research this team did for their video.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Without Xbox Live, online console gaming wouldn't be what it is today. While it's clearly not a great value in 2021, these nerds rewriting history completely miss the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.