• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
I had a quick chat with two of my friends today. The reason you ask? Xbox Live... again.

I've made two Xbox Live is down threads in August this year because it annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't play online with my old friends. It is always a huge disappointment because we don't see each other that much. Playing online once a week is our thing since 2014. But it ain't working because we have issues with Xbox Live almost every week. We switch to PS4 if an issue occurs but two of our friends don't have a PS4. Which means almost one half of our group can't play with us. So last month I decided to make a list for every Xbox Live issue. Here are the problems that came up over the last 2 months.

24th October: Can't purchase Xbox 360 BC content & Login issues after the latest updated.
23rd October: Can't launch or play purchased games.
15th October: Can't sign in. Xbox Live down.
11th Ocotber: Can't access the store. Can't purchase games.
10th October: Can't purchase Xbox 360 BC content.
8th October: Can't purchase Xbox 360 BC content.
2nd October: Can't access the store. Can't purchase games.
1st October: Can't access the store. Can't purchase games.
28th & 29th September: Can't access the store. Can't purchase games.
24th September: Can't start party chat. Matchmaking issues.
19th September: Can't access the store. Can't purchase games.
18th September: Can't start party chat.
12th & 13th & 14 September: Can't start party chat. Can't access the store.
6th & 7th September: Can't sign in. Xbox Live down.

And the list goes on and on. You can verify it for yourself on XB Support's twitter account. Just for comparisons sake [please don't make this a console war thing] Xbox Live already had way more issues in 2018 compared to PSN. But 2019 is a whole new ball game. We are having issues every week. Sometimes even every day. So we already decided that we won't use Xbox for our mp games next gen. But right now we're just annoyed as hell. And we are clearly not alone.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yea that's bull, this type of stuff is unacceptable from a paid service in 2019, Xbox or anyone else. Everything better be working at midnight, I want to play The Outer Worlds.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
There are a lot of moving parts, but I agree, recent times have seemed flakier than in the past. It's especially troubling when it blocks you from using Gamepass (On PC). I don't play on my Xbox all that often, and I've run into issues more frequently than I would expect.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how Xbox Support's twitter feed is nothing but them reporting issues and resolutions and Sony's support page is tips and tricks for how to plug in your PS4 and alter settins.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these outages only impact a small portion of the Xbox Live userbase. Out of all of these dates listed I can only recall having issues maybe twice?!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After years of hearing about how Live was magical, the best thing ever and had no cooties unlike that stinky PSN, i gotta say that calling my experience with Live on the past year underwhelming is a nice euphemism.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Trolling, console warring, and thread derailing over a series of posts
After years of hearing about how Live was magical, the best thing ever and had no cooties unlike that stinky PSN, i gotta say that calling my experience with Live on the past year underwhelming is a nice euphemism.

I remember when I had a Sony console and I couldn't play online for a month and my account was compromised. Good times!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I had a Sony console and I couldn't play online for a month and my account was compromised. Good times!
Not gonna enter console wars. But i'll say this. What happened to you, happened to me as well. I was pissed as i can imagine you were as well. Rightfully so. But being hacked that one time has literally nothing to do with what this thread is about.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I did notice that XBL seemed to have more issues this year than previous years, however I play a lot and I can only recall maybe a couple of times this year when I wanted to play but XBL was down. Other than that it's been pretty much a non-issue for me.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Not gonna enter console wars. But i'll say this. What happened to you, happened to me as well. I was pissed as i can imagine you were as well. Rightfully so. But being hacked that one time has literally nothing to do with what this thread is about.

You bought up PSN. Live outages I can live with, 'being hacked that one time' I can't. But anyway....

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
as someone thats had XBL since Gears of War 1 came out. I can think of maybe 1-3 times in those 12 years where i couldn't use XBL. Every now and then it will say "xbl is experiencing an issue with....such and such". But 9/10 times it doesn't effect me. So i assume these are localized incidents. Like this is happening to a number of ppl in oregon or something. And not in the specific area where i use XBL?

I think maybe once this whole time did i ever have an issue trying to purchase something from the store??

PSN however. Which i have had since MGS 4 came out. i cant count. The store is actually unusable. I think 90% of the time i want to buy something off PS Store i have to do so on the website.

Switch online. I couldn't give an accurate assessment of. Half the time it doesn't have the wifi signal strength to even connect. And my router is all of 50 ft away

ForZoey

May 29, 2019
People always seem to forget/gloss over that this happened to PSN. Same with Steam.

Nobody glosses over it.

Almost every time there's a thread with Xbox Live somebody tries to derail the thread with "Remember that time PSN was down for an entire month..."

There were Xbox issues again last night and yet people are talking about PSN downtime in 2011.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
For almost two years? I doubt it. Whatever it is, it's getting worse.

I get it. PSN was hacked over 8 years ago. That's not what this thread is about.

Didn't say it was, I was replying to a post from someone saying they heard PSN was bad compared to Live and i presented a reason for why that may be the case.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Following the Xbox twitter account, I feel like they have a 5 days streak going on right now lol.
And yeah I noticed it has being going down a lot in the past year or two.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since the inception of XBL I don't think I've ever had more that 2 major outages due to DDOS against them. Any other issues are short lived e.g. fixed within minutes or hours at worst.

The biggest gripe I ever had was the major platform change around MCC launch and it took months almost years to get party chatting and lobbies stable for Australians/Halo fans. Literally you were forced to play solo basically, mid to large parties just shat the bed constantly. Once this was sorted by the XBL team 343 followed up quite well. MCC and parties are rock solid these days.

I do also note I don't "buy" many BC titles so I likely don't experience them.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to play xbl like twice in over 10 years

A lot of these issues affect a small amount of the user base

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't negate the rest of your sentence. PSN's prior reputation is implicit in the comment you were replying to. You're just shit posting right now.

Of course it's implicit. PSN got hacked. Live didn't. People live with outages, but not with their personal details being stolen. Hence the reason PSN got its bad rep = stinky.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure that they're doing a ton of BTS work, but yea a paid service should not go down nearly as often as XBL does. Imagine if Netflix or Spotify went down as much as XBL does. There would be riots.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I have had the occasional issue with XBL. Nothing that would compel me to start a thread though.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I like how Xbox Support's twitter feed is nothing but them reporting issues and resolutions and Sony's support page is tips and tricks for how to plug in your PS4 and alter settins.
Does Sony even have a support Twitter for technical issues? Nearest I could find is SonySupportUSA and it's pretty much the same technical fixes.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It's under the handle AskPlayStation I believe.
Looks like they just don't address issues as tweets on the account, probably for PR reasons - they answer and refer to phone or DM. Went back to a known outage and there's no mention of it, just some tips on how home console works.

It's a smart strategy, it gets people to stop ranting in public.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Live has tons of issues, I have friends in the US that encounter it and I encounter issues fairly regularly in canada here to.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget how you no longer can view purchase history on 360 for some bizarro reason.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
giphy.gif

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there is a lot of back end work being done in preparation for.........................................

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
So many of these outages are confined to regions. Combine that with your own limited play time, and it's really not much of an issue. Sometimes you get unlucky and something in your region doesn't work at the time you want to play. It's pretty rare though.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm sure that they're doing a ton of BTS work, but yea a paid service should not go down nearly as often as XBL does. Imagine if Netflix or Spotify went down as much as XBL does. There would be riots.
Neither of these services do any meaningful improvements at all. XBL is consistently being upgraded and improved on the backend

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Of course it's implicit. PSN got hacked. Live didn't. People live with outages, but not with their personal details being stolen. Hence the reason PSN got its bad rep = stinky.
Someone criticised LIVE....quick, bring up the hack from 2011...PSN in 2011 has no bearing on today. I own an X, PS4, had a 360 as well...there has been no difference playing online between Live or PSN. There is not much differentiating them these days. I was worried when i switched from 360 after hearing people say how bad PSN was...that turned out to be a big pile of hyperbole, should have not been surprised I guess.