• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe this for a second. What do you think they were expecting, some people would be happy about it?

People weren't happy when microsoft started live, or when plus and now nintendo online started being paid. However it didn't get enough of a pushback to be harmful enough to the companies so they went with it and people just accepted in the end.

There's an amount of blowback companies can take if in the long run people just get used to it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh GamePass Ultimate per year costs the same as the canceled double price of Gold per year and GPU has Live Gold too so i don't see why they need to double the price of Gold and be the same as GPU since the latter contains it so in that case will make Live Gold obsolete and everyone woudl go for GPU instead.
It's good that they reverted the price.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Oh yeah.. some additional thoughts.
It seems that the price hike was an obvious move to make people shift to GPU.

Now that they will not do the price hike (at least for the foreseeable future).. then MS will have to make sure that GPU is as attractive as possible.

Bottom line: I think we can safely say that Bethesda future Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox ecosystem. Having games that can only be played in this ecosystem would make people eventually getting GP/GPU..

Otherwise, how do you want to funnel people into getting GP/GPU now that the price hike option was poorly thought through?
On the other hand...now that they aren't raising the price of their subs...they will need to come up with a way to get more revenue/profits. And possibly the easiest way to do that would be to release their games on more platforms.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Still baffled that they didn't do it way sooner. How out of touch can they be... The fact that they tried this when they're not even the market leader speaks volume.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I was very angry yesterday, but this is the right thing to do and it's a credit to them that they've done so. It also shows them just how seriously price changes will impact their goodwill, which bodes well for the future.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They went from 60 to 120, then they made a 180 and are now back at 60...

The numbers Mason what do they mean?

Math is fun..

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
People in here acting like MS haven't made good decisions and are greedy.

First place, nah. Second place, no shit?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They tried their luck, it backfired so they decided against it, rightfully so too, it was an ridiculous price hike.

At least they are finally removing the F2P barrier, so that's a good thing.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
No wonder developers and publishers think they can walk all over us year in year out.

Microsoft were about to happily rob us blind but now they're the good guy again because they got caught out.

smh

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing feels really weird to me: the fact that they course corrected so quickly and removed the gold requirement for f2p games on top of it is rather suspicious, but whatever the case, i'm not going to give them any credit for this stunt.

Good news for those who use gold / play f2p games on xbox consoles though.

Last edited:

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
lol a multi-trillion dollar company got cyber bullied out of its business plans

More than likely they already had anticipated this scenario, marketing division was like:

a) We hike the prices and goes over "well"? We don't do shit about it.
b) We hike the prices and people lose their shit? We "backtrack" and make up for the lost income hiking some other shit.

Although this whole "price hike/not really/we listen to you" sounds a lot like a PR stunt tbh, and a very good one at that.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Something something Game Pass something something sustainable
Microsoft searching for an opportunity to make more money for GP? Sure. Also, don't forget that we are getting an extra GWG game. Not sure if that will continue past February now. Regardless, MS has shown no signs of not making GP their top priority.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The fact that they even tried this tells me everything I need to k ow about their long term goals. If MS were the market leader then they would not have backed down.

Not even a market leader should increase prices by 100%. Netflix is raising prices quite regularly, but it's always a slow increase. If there is anything good about today's events, I think it's that Xbox will now have to deliver hard again with value for their consumers. It was still a really bad day for them.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
They went full circle and ended up back where they started. It's an Xbox 360.
Except financially they might be worse off now that Fortnite/Roblox/Apex players won't need to sub to Gold to play.

The obvious move to make was to just raise it by $10 while getting rid of the F2P requirement and most people wouldn't have batted an eye. The decision to go full on mask off and double the price is just mind boggling.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Great that they reversed it and even killed off the paywall for F2P games but this is really embarrassing. What were those execs even thinking in the first place by doing a 100% price hike? Did Phil really think this was a good idea? They could've seen the backlash coming from lighyears away.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
On the other hand...now that they aren't raising the price of their subs...they will need to come up with a way to get more revenue/profits. And possibly the easiest way to do that would be to release their games on more platforms.

Not if one of the reasons was to shift people to get GPU. I don't see MS need to be in a hurry in order to increase revenue considering they already have crazy figures monthly in terms of profits.

They can play the long game but to accelerate the adoption rate of GPU, they will focus on making it a more "must have". So my perspective is that stuff like what happened now will affect/enforce exclusivity on devs/publishers they have/buy and again, games will be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem..

Revenue, with time, will not be a problem.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How they thought doubling the price at all was an option I'll never know, that's like actually just stupid and whoever pushed for it shouldn't be anywhere near those decisions. F2P being free is nice though.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
"We always try to do our best for you" did they seriously need a backlash to understand charging double for the same shit is not good?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a market leader should increase prices by 100%. Netflix is raising prices quite regularly, but it's always a slow increase. If there is anything good about today's events, I think it's that Xbox will now have to deliver hard again with value for their consumers.

I think the plan is to reverse the price hike and hope people move onto the next gaming related outrage. I really don't think MS are going to try and add value to Gold.

It's pretty obvious they want people to subscribe to Gamepass instead. Gold is just a legacy subscription for them at this point.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Not if one of the reasons was to shift people to get GPU. I don't see MS need to be in a hurry in order to increase revenue considering they already have crazy figures monthly in terms of profits.

They can play the long game but to accelerate the adoption rate of GPU, they will focus on making it a more "must have". So my perspective is that stuff like what happened now will affect/enforce exclusivity on devs/publishers they have/buy and again, games will be exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem..

Revenue, with time, will not be a problem.
We'll see I guess. It just seems pretty clear to me that someone at Microsoft (not Xbox) basically said that they can't keep spending a ton of money without having some way to recoup costs and this was what they came up with. They probably reversed it with the assumption that they either have or will think of some other way to get extra revenue from consumers without spending too much.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Great that they reversed it and even killed off the paywall for F2P games but this is really embarrassing. What were those execs even thinking in the first place by doing a 100% price hike? Did Phil really think this was a good idea? They could've seen the backlash coming from lighyears away.
It's more stupid than that. They thought, by getting rid of the 1 year gold subscription a FEW MONTHS AGO, people would forget about it, and increasing the 6 months subs from 50$ to 60$ would not be so bad, and would not be compared to the former 1 year subs (which was still available in some stores).

It's incredible.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They doubled the price so that they don't lose out on billions converting people from gold to gamepass.

The temporary backlash was likely too strong for their liking. Maybe the brand hit was deemed not worth saving the future revenue.
Possibly, yeah. It still feels like the wrong way to go about it. If they'd actually taken their customers' perspective into consideration before announcing this they would've mothballed this idea at conception. Anyone with an ounce of sense knew how this would go down.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
I can't help thinking if this was Sony or Nintendo the backlash would have fallen on deaf ears, Fair play to them for listening to the community and reversing.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This either indicates they didn't do their research or they don't know their audience.

No chance they they changed heart, did a complete 180 and realigned F2P if they had conviction.

Something isn't right.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I have no problem with companies being called out for their anti-consumer practices and correcting them within hours. It's no secret that these companies want to make money out of us, but unreasonable bullshit should he called out.

Now, about the other disgusting practice of £70 videogames...

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
The fact the complaints about pricing have been very limited and the games in question have sold well shows that the market accepted the increase.
are you really comparing a $10 increase to a game's cost at launch to $60 a year increase to a service?
unless if you buy over 6 new AAA games from sony every year, it still ends up being a smaller increase.
The game cost didnt suddenly double.
The reaction to the gold increase wouldnt have been nearly as bad had it been a $10 increase per year.
Honestly it's gross that you're both defending it. It's absolutely on the same scale as yesterday, and has rightly been called out by the majority in this forum for months.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This whole thing feels like a "let's see with how much crap we can get away with".

Less than 24 hours later: "Oops, seems like we can't get away with any crap".

Or it's just a PR move.

At least, now anyone who dared to suggest that Phil isn't a good guy will have been silenced.

May 25, 2019
London
I don't know what they were thinking with this approach. Did they seriously think people wouldn't mind a 100% price increase?

You have to do something like this in steps. Raise it by 10-20% initially, then another 10-20% in a few years. People tolerate Netflix price increases because they are a dollar or two each time. They didn't go from $10 to $20 immediately