• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they backtracked so fast but still embarrassing that this was even a thing to begin with.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's bad that they tried it in the first place though, and some people might be disappointed that the hatefest is over, but knowing they are ready to do what it takes actually reinforces my trust in the brand. [....]
I would love for other companies to follow suite...

Totally, other companies should follow suit. Personally, I hope Sony tries to triple the price of PS Plus and then reverses course hours later. That would really reinforce my trust in the brand.

Oct 31, 2017
This says 1 of 2 things:

1) The 100% hike and subsequent walk-back (with freebies tossed in, what pals!) was 100% intentionally done.

-or-

2) Internal numbers after the initial news breaking were looking so bad that they had to 180'd mega fast.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so they didn't expect people to be angry about a doubling in price of a "service" that should've been free?

and now that they've discovered that people are angry they're walking it back instantly?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This was a win win for them either way. If the price hike went forward without any negative feedback more money for them. Going back and doing this makes them look like the good guy.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
This is why Phil Spencer is the good guy of the industry and why I idolize him. He really listens to the community with pro-consumer moves like this.

(please know I'm kidding)

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like, someone will probably be demoted. I can understand maybe $5 or $10 increase, but 2x the pricing is crazy. They surely should have expected a huge backlash at the price, but to cave so soon, doesn't look good no matter what.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I wonder if they were thinking this would make everyone just jump to Game Pass Ultimate? Either way, it was a headscratcher for sure.

Nov 8, 2017
Good. The hike was dumb and online pay walls for f2p aren't tenable if your competitors aren't doing it. (All online pay walls are dumb)

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This is really great. Good job Microsoft. Also f2p games are now finally f2p is the best news here

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could of been.

"Man Xbox Gold...people think it's too expensive"

"Let's raise the price."

"Wait what why the fuck..."

"Hear me out, we say we are raising it, people freak, we go back to our lower price and give them like free, free games and then Xbox Gold will seem like a good price and not the potential new bad price"
Do you really believe that? That just seem like real amateur hour. That is just damaging your brand on an whim. Seems very thoughtless if true.
MS does the wrong thing : omg greedy m$ fucking the industry

MS does the right thing : omg sinister m$ lurking in the shadows to fuck the industry

-Resetera.com
Lol you don't get brownie point by correcting a "wrong". What it does do is "pile on the negatives". And we all know we remember the "wrongs" more than the correct and happy thing.

Thank you *name coperation* for not doing *insert something wrong*. /s

Put off your rose tinted glasses. :)

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
This says 1 of 2 things:

1) The 100% hike and subsequent walk-back (with freebies tossed in, what pals!) was 100% intentionally done.

-or-

2) Internal numbers after the initial news breaking were looking so bad that they had to 180'd mega fast.

I'm curious how many, like myself, cancelled game pass and/or xbox live gold today.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This was absolutely not planned
They really didn't need a "publicity stunt" if the actual outcome is something good for Xbox players. They could have just announced that Free to Play games will not require gold anymore and the reception would have been far more positive

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Do you really believe that? That just seem like real amateur hour. That is just damaging your brand on an whim. Seems very thoughtless if true.

Lol you don't get brownie point by correcting a "wrong". What it does do is "pile on the negatives". And we all know we remember the "wrongs" more than the correct and happy thing.

Thank you *name coperation* for not doing *insert something wrong*. /s

Put off your rose tinted glasses. :)
I don't really believe it, I really don't know what I believe. The whole situation is baffling.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Totally, other companies should follow suit. Personally, I hope Sony tries to triple the price of PS Plus and then reverses course hours later. That would really reinforce my trust in the brand.
Yeah, I was expecting this kind of reply, fuck M$ for not knowing better for half a day! Am I doing it right?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The fact Microsoft folded on free to play not requiring Live today is the only thing that gives credence to the theory that this was a calculated move... but I don't personally buy it.
They wouldnt of shipped those retail cards to retailers if that was the case. This price increase first leaked from retail workers yesterday.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If it was that easy for them to make F2P games actually free why did it take them fucking up XBL pricing to change that. Because if this would have never happened you would still have to have gold for them I imagine?

Weird.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
I think they were going to get rid of the Gold requirement for F2P when Halo came out but the reaction to this nonsense just made them pull the trigger on it now.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't think this was a PR move BUT I can see the paywall for F2P being something that they would drop in a later date(because of Halo etc) but they decided to do it now to help with the situation.

Oct 27, 2017
How did this even pass PR and marketing? How is this such a trivial decision they can go back on? I assume multiple departments okay'd the price hike, they clearly researched it and deemed it a necessary risk, but then go back on it in less than 24 hours? What is going on there?

I get F2P finally not needing gold. Should've been like that for almost a decade.

reminds you that no matter how many wins you've racked up PR wise, just one can mess your marketing up very quickly

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
lmao these companies are so insane. How any of that passed in the first place is shocking.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a better outcome then the past couple of years of Xbox. Wow!

I hope whatever metrics they're looking it that ok'd the initial move be a reminder that not every move needs to be data driven, not every metric is an intention. This is good old gut instinct, and something MS needs to get better at.

Still, we start the weekend in a better place then we were last gen! Great news!!!

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it was that easy for them to make F2P games actually free why did it take them fucking up XBL pricing to change that.
Probably cause lots of people paid for gold for them and there was no real vocal "change this". Part of this backlash was also showing the cost of playing a game like Fortnite.