• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Can't really give Microsoft credit for doubling the price of Gold, getting tons of backlash, and then reversing course. If anything it just makes me think the people in charge there have no idea what they're doing.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
yeahhh, glad to see it

I can imagine the Power Point presentation that lead to the price hike, I can imagine what some of the driving pressures might've been, I can imagine how with a certain amount of tunnel vision doing this could seem like a solid compromise or even straight up BEAUTIFULLY synergistic with the larger Xbox strategy

this was fucking dumb, though, and whoever ran the numbers completely failed to properly frame them

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
gWOcCrB.png

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Good to see a quick response like this, kudos to the Xbox team.

At the same time I'm stunned that this even happened in the first place. Everyone in the decision making process should have immediately reacted with "Hey this probably isn't a good idea" when it was proposed lol.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Well, didn't expect this to turn into a net positive. Good to know that they are this agile in their decision making. If anything this sets a precedent, next time they fuck Up, people will half expect them to correct course.
I know it's bad that they tried it in the first place though, and some people might be disappointed that the hatefest is over, but knowing they are ready to do what it takes actually reinforces my trust in the brand. Usually if someone fucks up in the industry they just stick to it for way too long or forever (sony with cross play, 505 with their control update plans, nintendo with not admitting stick drift and so on and so many more...) I would love for other companies to follow suite...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The bizarre thing is how did they not anticipate this response? Surely this was in the works for a long time, with who knows how many meetings about the change. This can't have been a surprise that people hate it!

My job has me launching new products to customers. Microsoft is way bigger than my company and we're the biggest telecom in Canada. We always have discussions about price and expected reactions from the market at more than one price point. We got an entire team who's job is just deal with the pricing of products and price hikes.

They knew that people would complain and they wrongly estimated the reaction from customers. They were way off.

This is scrabbling that back and trying to spin it as them "learning" something from this. They did learn something, next time the price hikes will come in smaller percentages over the course of a year or two but will end up at the same place they just tried to get to on one go

Oct 25, 2017
lol

That whoever made this decision didn't see the backlash coming is really something.

Just think if they ever had Phil Spencer or Aaron Greenberg try to defend or even explain the price increase, their credibility would have been totally shot. It's so obvious what they were trying to do to push people to gamepass.

Last edited:

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, this was genius. They probably made a profit out of this with people rushing to buy Xbox Live cards and stashing 3 years worth of Game Pass. I know I did.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Good to see a quick response like this, kudos to the Xbox team.

At the same time I'm stunned that this even happened in the first place. Everyone in the decision making process should have immediately reacted with "Hey this probably isn't a good idea" when it was proposed lol.
This.
It's insane they didn't anticipate the backlash.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MS trying to pull some sketchy anti consumer nonsense, getting called out on it, and then reneging on the whole thing? I'm SHOCKED.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just proves it was a money grab anyway. PSPlus, Xbox live and whatever nintendo does are just profit padders.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is this lmao. If it's this easy to change how they did not gauge people would react badly.

This screams as always meant to be a lie so they can announce something that isn't as bad by comparison

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
It seems like there are several schools of thinking butting heads at the top of Microsoft's gaming division.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact Microsoft folded on free to play not requiring Live today is the only thing that gives credence to the theory that this was a calculated move... but I don't personally buy it.
Oh 100% considering the amount of changes required to just not require gold for online is more than just switching a button with no planning.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. I'm tuned in to see how they choose to "recover" from this backtrack. I can't imagine they won't try to find another way to replace a now cancelled doubling in price

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Good that the backlash was massive enough to stop this, but it's still a very bad look that Phil and others thought this was a good idea.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
This whole thing is really starting to stink of a PR stunt... and an intelligence-insulting one at that.