• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all who are shrugging off backwards compatibility would be praising Sony from the rooftops if they included it.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
It bums me out that Sony stopped doing those PS2 to PS4 titles, and didn't even bother with a similar "PS1 to PS4" program.

Even if PS1/PS2 titles would have to be re-purchased and not be connected to the original PSone / PS2 Classics, just make them available on the latest platform FFS.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I like my series x a lot. Kudos to MS. But I also feel like the writing was on the wall when it came to Xbox turning their bad PR around a couple years before this gen started. So much further ahead than the competition imo.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The thing I don't get about psnow is that Sony allows us to install PS4 games from psnow. Not all is related to streaming the games.

How hard is it for them to allow that for other older platforms? Am I supposed to believe PS5 can't run ps one and PS2 games with a software emulator? Hell even PS3. It's weird how they could do just this to increase ps now value tbh...

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
You always got to ask yourself why are billion dollar companies doing the things they are doing. Is it because they have data that suggests a vast majority don't play old games? Is it because it helps bolster your library, especially when you lack newer titles that are needle movers? Is it because they know they can repackage old content in the future for easy revenue?

Who knows...but I will sit back and grab the popcorn and let the console warring continue!!

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I agree but think people are too quick to forget that the only reason MS bothers with backwards-compatibility is because Sony abandoned it last gen. It's just incredibly easy how we could be praising Sony in lieu of MS if last gen had a different "victor" as it were.

Still, nice to see Xbox doing it the most because so many PS2 games were huge that they had re-releases and are easier to play than some original Xbox exclusives that are hard to even emulate now. And despite Nintendo's shitty approach to BC they'll still trot them out for re-release every now and then (e.g. Super Mario Sunshine).

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how everyone is fine without bc but loves to get every basic remastered.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. In regards to what?
na27L28.gif

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It bums me out that Sony stopped doing those PS2 to PS4 titles, and didn't even bother with a similar "PS1 to PS4" program.

Even if PS1/PS2 titles would have to be re-purchased and not be connected to the original PSone / PS2 Classics, just make them available on the latest platform FFS.

It's such a tragedy we went from the synergy between PSP/PSVita/PS3 cross play era to what we have now.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yes, we get it. MS is putting more into BC than Sony and certainly Nintendo. Yes, Sony is closing the stores to be able to buy PS3/PSP/Vita games. Yes, it sucks for preservation and, recently visibly, developers still making Vita games.

There's something I almost never see discussed: is BC necessary to the current demographics of who is spending? The absolute yes/no is still there that BC is good to have, especially for games preservation, but when was the last time anyone other than enthusiasts bought games on generations earlier than the PS4/XBO? It's a very real question and will point at why companies are doing this.

Pretty much. Another day, another BC thread/article/thread about an article.

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I don't get about psnow is that Sony allows us to install PS4 games from psnow. Not all is related to streaming the games.

How hard is it for them to allow that for other older platforms? Am I suppyto believe PS5 can't run ps one and PS2 games with a software emulator? Hell even PS3. It's weird how they could do just this to increase ps now value tbh...
Worst part is PS3 apparently does have an emulator for both PS1 and 2. PSP too.

So they have already done emulators (that could be improved further).

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You always got to ask yourself why are billion dollar companies doing the things they are doing. Is it because they have data that suggests a vast majority don't play old games? Is it because it helps bolster your library, especially when you lack newer titles that are needle movers? Is it because they know they can repackage old content in the future for easy revenue?

Who knows...but I will sit back and grab the popcorn and let the console warring continue!!
People should look at things from their own consumer perception. Defending sony's take on BC is just console fanboyism

Jan 4, 2018
I'm so happy to be able to play Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark 64 on my phone now (and I wish that the Virtual Console will return someday so I can do the same (handled) with other N64 games on the Switch). The BC team made an incredible work.

If the BC ever adds more OG Xbox games in the future, I hope that Jet Set Radio Future, Fatal Frame and Dead or Alive 3 will be backward compatible one day (even though I fear that JSRF may never happen because of the licencing issues).

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Given the power of the PS5, wouldn't it be fairly easy for Sony to create an emulator for PS2 and PS1 games? I mean, once you have the emulator up and running, the hard part is pretty much over, right?

I just don't understand why they don't officially make a PS1/PS2/PS3 emulator for the PS5, and then go to town taking their extensive library of first party games and making them available on the PS5. If some of these games can be streamed then presumably one already exists.

Same goes for Nintendo.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the people working on BC are the same developers that create new games. You have figured it all out.
I think the implication is that Xbox has to put a big effort behind this because they have a content problem when it comes to new, exclusive software

the other two should be doing it but they don't really have to because they're putting out enough new stuff in IPs that do big numbers

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

How hard is it for them to allow that for other older platforms? Am I supposed to believe PS5 can't run ps one and PS2 games with a software emulator? Hell even PS3. It's weird how they could do just this to increase ps now value tbh...

I can download PS2 games via PS Now, just not PS3 games.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
User Banned (5 Days) - Continued history of platform warring
Ya, you need to do that when you haven't introduced a new IP in over a decade.

In all seriousness, the Xbox hardware being mainly PC framework slimmed down has meant this is an easier path for them. Not to mention they've mostly had the benefit of working with studios that are still in business or around to support the leaps in tech. Sony has had a lot of studios/titles come and go through its 5 console cycles 7 if you include portables. It's just not as feasible, and their answer is streaming anyway...eventually it'll be good/widely adopted. Been awhile, I didn't have adequate bad with the last time I tried it...I wonder what it's like now?! (I think I tried the trial of PSNow 4 years ago).

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think the implication is that Xbox has to put a big effort behind this because they have a content problem when it comes to new, exclusive software
Which is why they bought all the new studios who are working on new games right now. I mean no one is going to deny the content problem that existed but the wording makes it seem like they don't just have an arsenal of devs working on stuff atm

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Given the power of the PS5, wouldn't it be fairly easy for Sony to create an emulator for PS2 and PS1 games? I mean, once you have the emulator up and running, the hard part is pretty much over, right?
Given the PS4 already has an emulator for PS1, PS2 and PSP that is currently used to run select games, and the PS5 is BC with PS4, yes.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird how at the start of the generation Astro's Playroom made me feel more nostalgic for Playstation than anything else ever had, and then very soon after Sony's all like "Nah, son."

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we get it. MS is putting more into BC than Sony and certainly Nintendo. Yes, Sony is closing the stores to be able to buy PS3/PSP/Vita games. Yes, it sucks for preservation and, recently visibly, developers still making Vita games.

There's something I almost never see discussed: is BC necessary to the current demographics of who is spending? The absolute yes/no is still there that BC is good to have, especially for games preservation, but when was the last time anyone other than enthusiasts bought games on generations earlier than the PS4/XBO? It's a very real question and will point at why companies are doing this.
The real question is when was the last time they were readily available to play on current hardware?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is why they bought all the new studios who are working on new games right now. I mean no one is going to deny the content problem that existed but the wording makes it seem like they don't just have an arsenal of devs working on stuff atm
It's unfortunate that Microsoft also has a track record of buying things that are either fizzle out or get mismanaged

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

I just don't understand why they don't officially make a PS1/PS2/PS3 emulator for the PS5, and then go to town taking their extensive library of first party games and making them available on the PS5. If some of these games can be streamed then presumably one already exists.

Same goes for Nintendo.

I would assume they just don't see it as worth the investment. I know that in the past the Xbox team has talked about how difficult and how much work it was to get the emulator up and running. Not to mention all the other stuff like res boosts, FPS boosts, auto HDR, etc. It's undoubtedly no small undertaking.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently it took Sony closing down their digital store for game journalists to notice they've been avoiding BC since the PS4 launched? Well, better late than never.

Keeping enthusiasts happy is a good way to keep the brand in a positive light. Sure, they can just spend more money on marketing but why not just spend the money on not needlessly pissing off their old customers and causing newer customers to be wary of the long-term viability of their purchases.

Google gets away with shutting down old services that aren't very popular, but do it too much and you get a Stadia situation where it never gets off the ground because no one trusts Google to stand by it. Granted, Sony and Nintendo aren't anywhere near that bad (at least there's physical copies of many games), but with MS being a lot better, they're both handing MS an easy marketing win.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The problem is, unless it was left off the specs, the PS5 lacks a CD-laser. So it couldn't read any PS1 games or half of the PS2 catalog. Even if they added support. :-/ But at this point I'd pay for an add-on. OR the PS5x which had it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Aside from the slightly easier availability, stupendous BC support and having an active GP membership amidst price hiked titles (esp. in Canada it is rather brutal with added 15% HST) until Nov are pretty much why I went with an Xbox console (SX) for the first time since I started console gaming back with PS3.

The ghost of Kutaragi will forever haunt Sony- that is except for people who are willing to cough up for PSNow as it builds its library of PS1-3 titles via emulation over time.

Edit: Fixing feckin' grammatical err0rs.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate that Microsoft also has a track record of buying things that are either fizzle out or get mismanaged
Old MS sure, but we need to move the Ballmer/Mattrick era out of our heads, most of the studios that were bought said nothing has changed, MS's new policy is to buy shit that you like and leave it alone

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me playing SquareSoft's PS1-PS2 library, all the Metal Gears, Capcom's PS1 library, Tekken 5, the real versions of Silent Hill, Ridge Racer Type 4 and V, SotN, God Hand, Persona 3 FES, Tokyo Jungle wouldn't be a big deal? Come on…..

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Or maybe it's not feasible to easily bring old gen games to PS5 and Switch.
The PS5 could easily play PS1 and PS2 games. It can brute force PS1 and there's already a PS2 emulator that they built and barely used.
Nintendo has a working emulator for NES and SNES, and in 3D All-Stars they've shown they have a functional N64 emulator that has other games listed in the source code. GC and Wii are more complex, but they can also be done with a little bit of effort.
Don't make excuses for the billion dollar corporations, they don't need it and they're not your friend.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would assume they just don't see it as worth the investment. I know that in the past the Xbox team has talked about how difficult and how much work it was to get the emulator up and running. Not to mention all the other stuff like res boosts, FPS boosts, auto HDR, etc. It's undoubtedly no small undertaking.

It sure isnt. But what are they doing to make a difference. They have worse hardware, worse service, worse bc and soon with ms having double the devs even less games.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Aside from the slightly easier availability, it and alongside having an active GP membership amidst price hiked titles (esp. in Canada it is rather brutal with added 15% HST) until Nov are pretty much why I went with an Xbox console (SX) for the first time since I started console gaming back with PS3.

The ghost of Kutaragi will forever haunt Sony- that is for people who are willing to cough up for PSNow as it builds its library of PS1-3 titles via emulation over time.

I agree with you.

I wish i had an Xbox with gamepass right now, honestly. I wouldnt have to pay 80 dollars to play on pc thats on xbox gamepass. It makes buying full price games on pc a tough pill to swallow. At least with my switch or ps5, i can resell the game, recouping most of my money.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is, unless it was left off the specs, the PS5 lacks a CD-laser. So it couldn't read any PS1 games or half of the PS2 catalog. Even if they added support. :-/ But at this point I'd pay for an add-on. OR the PS5x which had it.
I don't think people expect to put their physical discs into the system nowadays, just that their digital purchases from the PS3 era continue to be playable on newer hardware. Although if Sony had actually really wanted physical BC from the start they could have put that CD lens in there for the cents I'm sure it costs per unit.