• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense to shift focus now and try and get these games out the gate in good time and up to scratch. Really hope the new stuff being worked on with these acquisitions is up my street.

And wtf thinking these acquisitions put Ms on par with Sony and Nintendo. They have to deliver the games first and foremost, then have a track record over a number of years and have that type of world wide recognition, the kind of stuff Sony and Nintendo have been doing for years.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Your list is 5 third person action game studios and Japan Studio. I like a good Naughty Dog game as much as the next person, but it's pretty easy to see MS has way more variety of output at this point. They have multiple studios making games in genres that Sony doesn't even compete in any more (WRPG, arcade racing, shared world games, FPS). I mean, if I'm an RPG fan, what does Sony offer? Horizon?

The narrative about there being not much else than cinematic 3rd person action-adventures doesn't hold water, when there are games like Astro Bot, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush, MLB, Everybody's Golf, SingStar, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, GT, Tearaway, Bound, Entwined, Hohokum, and Dreams. (Dammit, you made me go into list wars) It's funny how smaller games, like Ori and the Blind Forest, only seem to count in one end.

They do lack in the arcade racing department now though, but so do most big publishers these days, and it's a downer that next gen is going to start without one. I loved how arcade racers used to be the showcase pieces for each gen; WipEout for PS1, SSX for PS2, MotorStorm for PS3, and Driveclub for PS4. :(

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they will finally deliver some interesting content. They have literally zero exclusive games that appeal to me.

Flou

Jan 31, 2019
For the longest time, Microsoft seemed to have an identity crisis about halfway through the Xbone's lifespan, wherein Phil has to clean up a huge mess, and i'd say he's done fairly well with relying on Gamepass and XCloud for the future to give the console market some innovation in thier own niche. The acquisitions are nice, but they tend to have the developers I like for a genre going in a completely different direction, and not in a particularly good way? You'd think Microsoft + Obsidian would be an RPG, but nope. I'm not a fan of what I saw, but personal taste etc.
You can't blame Microsoft for Grounded though. That project was started before Microsoft bought Obsidian. Imagine them cancelling the game right after the acquisition. How well do you think the senior team working on that passion project would have taken it?
This is some of the Pillars of Eternity team taking a break from making one of those "hardcore" CRPGs. I for one think they deserve such a break after working on the franchise for 6 years.

The game itself sounds quite good actually when you read what Brennecke (the project director) and Atadero (senior programmer) were saying about it. It's not your average survival game. It will have elements from Obsidian's games in it.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Console Warring, Numerous Prior Bans for the Same
Seems even Klobrille's dream of #16by20 will not be fulfilled.

And I have a fair question for all of the recent XGS announcements/games. Why most of them are Gaas type and have a cartoony looking artstyle. Is it what the audience want? Seems it would be even harder for me to consider Project Scarlet a true rival to PS5 from now on. Like seriously, where's quality AAA content???

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
You must be joking. Let's revisit this opinion in a few years. Xbox made some great and sorely needed aquisitions, but these acquisitions are not remotely bridging the quality gap between them and Nintendo/Sony. Most of their studios are far from producing their best work and the proof will be in the pudding.

I have been totally triggered by your flagrant misuse of that saying. Why does everyone get it so wrong?????

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who has the best suite of studios is obviously down to personal preference though does Xbox now have the most diverse studio output out of the big three? I'd say they do now.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they've made enough aquisitions to have a robust first party now. Obviously they are missing a Japanese studio to get some quality output from there, but if the opportunity presents itself to Microsoft they will acquire someone. However, it needs to be a good fit.

I think the "best" first party is going a bit too far. They now have a large quantity of quality studios who have historically made good stuff, but how they fit into the Microsoft family is yet to be seen. There are also still lingering concerns with 343i and whether they can deliver a Halo game that lives up to Bungie's. Meanwhile, Sony and Nintendo both have first party studios going back decades who develop great games and continually foster incredible talent. That kind of thing is hard to match overnight, but hopefully they can bring quality and not just quantity going forward and look at their studios as a long term investment in people, culture and IP. It'd be a shame if we had another Lionhead (dead) or Rare (over a decade in the wilderness before they found their way) situation with one of their acquisitions.

This gen, Microsoft's first party output has been mediocre - dire if you compare it to the first party competition. With the output they've had this generation, Microsoft might as well be a third party publisher because they just haven't taken risks or been as inventive as their first party competitors. Nintendo released more masterpieces in the Switch's first year than Microsoft has in the Xbox One's entire life, and despite all the bluster about Xbox One having the better launch lineup, Sony delievered more consistent and better games in the first 12-24 months of the PS4's life where Microsoft did not. But there's definitely a sense that things are turning around and I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the studios get up to in the years ahead.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
An 'Execution and delivery' focus surely means getting games out on time, because if they have a game every quarter on XGP, it means if one gets delayed, it's going to crash the release of the next, and so-on. It's a nice problem they haven't had to solve up until now.

With Ninja Theory and The Initiative, they now have two studios eminently capable of producing the games that can measure up to everyone's 'moody white guy adventures in third person' yardstick.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They have a good number of first party studios now. Let them get to work and make original content for the Scarlett. They can boost their exclusives portfolio with third party exclusives if necessary.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
I think they have enought studios now.
But i'm wondering if they uses them in the right way.

I mean, Obsidian is known for their CRPG, and their first game Under MS is a Survival game.
Ninja Theory is known for their action games, their first game Under MS is a multiplayer fighting game.

It's great that theses studios have some Freedom, i just hope their output has the same quality as their traditional games

Oct 25, 2017

And I have a fair question for all of the recent XGS announcements/games. Why most of them are Gaas type and have a cartoony looking artstyle. Is it what the audience want? Seems it would be even harder for me to consider Project Scarlet a true rival to PS5 from now on. Like seriously, where's quality AAA content???

We got two AAA's yesterday: Everwild and AOE4. The 'cartoony looking' bs is just embarrassing at this point

Oct 27, 2017

How can you consider yourself a member of this forum yet be so ignorant and uniformed. Sad

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
They have acquired some good studios. None of the studios that they have acquired are as good as what they already had but that is the challenge now. MS is now actively trying to improve all of the studios under their umbrella. If everything works out for them then yes they will be very competitive with Sony and Nintendo but until they cross a certain quality barometer they are always going to be a step below. The closest they have come is Playground with Forza Horizon receiving universal acclaim (I loved 3 and 4). However, racing games will never be looked upon as prestige titles. MS needs one or two story focused games to well and truly knock it out of the park.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
We got two AAA's yesterday: Everwild and AOE4. The 'cartoony looking' bs is just embarrassing at this point
AOE 4 will release on consoles? What's your point? Also this game was announced in 2017. AOE 4's art style looked more like a new Settlers rather than a true successor to previous AOE. Does Everwild look like a true AAA? It felt very comparable with all other games from X0 yesterday in regard that this game is a smaller, more experimental game (and GaaS type which is truly awful because it does concern mhow many more there will be pointless service games thrown into the market).
How can you consider yourself a member of this forum yet be so ignorant and uniformed. Sad
Prove your point, dear. Or you just trying to defend your preferred manufacturer/publisher? I have a point, you have just a couple of words.

Oct 25, 2017
AOE 4 will release on consoles? What's your point? Also this game was announced in 2017. AOE 4's art style looked more like a new Settlers rather than a true successor to previous AOE. Does Everwild look like a true AAA? It felt very comparable with all other games from X0 yesterday in regard that this game is a smaller, more experimental game (and GaaS type which is truly awful because it does concern mhow many more there will be pointless service games thrown into the market).

yikes

i would just argue that you need to inform yourself better but frankly i'm not going to waste my time with the art style bs

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing missing is the Japanese exclusives back in the 360 days.

They are slowly getting back Japanese support such as Yakuza and KH. I hope there's more to come.

Atelier next pls.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
AOE 4's art style looked more like a new Settlers rather than a true successor to previous AOE.
You shouldn't have wasted your time at all in the first place knowing that you can't defend your point of view with actual facts.
giphy.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Your list is 5 third person action game studios and Japan Studio. I like a good Naughty Dog game as much as the next person, but it's pretty easy to see MS has way more variety of output at this point. They have multiple studios making games in genres that Sony doesn't even compete in any more (WRPG, arcade racing, shared world games, FPS). I mean, if I'm an RPG fan, what does Sony offer? Horizon?

Some of you fall for PR way too easily.

We only have this generation to compare. And the dearth of first party games compared to Sony and Nintendo has been staggering, easily their worst generational showing. They did not tackle the variety of games other publishers have this generation.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have acquired some good studios. None of the studios that they have acquired are as good as what they already had but that is the challenge now. MS is now actively trying to improve all of the studios under their umbrella. If everything works out for them then yes they will be very competitive with Sony and Nintendo but until they cross a certain quality barometer they are always going to be a step below. The closest they have come is Playground with Forza Horizon receiving universal acclaim (I loved 3 and 4). However, racing games will never be looked upon as prestige titles. MS needs one or two story focused games to well and truly knock it out of the park.

This. They need a "game of the generation / 9.4 metacritic" title. It's what they lack. Their studios can pump out as many games as they want, but they need to improve the quality along the quantity. Quantity should be covered now, but quality? For public opinion to shift they need their Zelda/Mario/Last of Us/God of War. Something that is not just good but exceptional. Ori came close, real close. Maybe Ori 2 will be that game, yet i think the game is too small in scale to make an impact.

Hopefully some of their studios will really get the time and resources they need to realise a focussed vision with exceptional results. Studios like Double Fine ofcourse should continue making smaller, fun experiences.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Would be great if MS can get Mistwalker to do another JRPG.

Mistwalker would need to find an independent Japanese developer to make it for them and there are very, very few of those left. They aren't a real developer themselves unless you're talking tiny mobile games with visuals that look like they run on Flash.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The narrative about there being not much else than cinematic 3rd person action-adventures doesn't hold water, when there are games like Astro Bot, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush, MLB, Everybody's Golf, SingStar, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, GT, Tearaway, Bound, Entwined, Hohokum, and Dreams. (Dammit, you made me go into list wars) It's funny how smaller games, like Ori and the Blind Forest, only seem to count in one end.

They do lack in the arcade racing department now though, but so do most big publishers these days, and it's a downer that next gen is going to start without one. I loved how arcade racers used to be the showcase pieces for each gen; WipEout for PS1, SSX for PS2, MotorStorm for PS3, and Driveclub for PS4. :(

This. Most of Sony studios don't work in "third person cinematic games": Japan Studio, Pixel Opus, London Studio, Media Molecule, Polyphony, San Diego, Insomniac, and the new Manchester Studio that is making a VR game. Guerrilla is making a FPS.

It just happen that TLOU and God of War are the most popular games.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I love the PS ecosystem, but I do have to say I haven't been as impressed at the diversity of Sony's first party this generation (that said, PS2/PS3 releases were 100% more my jam) . So I'm not offended if someone thinks that Microsoft has put together a stable of quality developers that are capable to create a variety of great games across a host of industries that surpasses Sony's ability to do so.

They all have strengths and weaknesses. I'm probably more excited about Microsoft's offering next gen, just given the loads of new IP we'll likely see versus (from what we know), Sony's studios are more focused on sequels. Don't have the bandwidth to get Scarlett though, so I'll admire afar!

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This. Most of Sony studios don't work in "third person cinematic games": Japan Studio, Pixel Opus, London Studio, Media Molecule, Polyphony, San Diego, Insomniac, and the new Manchester Studio that is making a VR game. Guerrilla is making a FPS.

It just happen that TLOU and God of War are the most popular games.

People have short memories. It's not that long ago, when XB was downplayed as a mere shooter platform due to the popularity of Halo and Gears series. Yet that's not all what it offered either. It appears, we have come a full circle.

Oct 31, 2017
Now they just need to fund Ninja Gaiden 4 (if it's not already happening).

Then give money to Sakaguchi to make Lost Odyssey 2 or a spiritual successor to The Last Story... It seems like he doesn't want to go back to consoles but who knows ? He might get that itch again.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
they arent done getting new studios but they are focused more on getting XGS to executing instead of expanding.

doubt we see 5 or even 2 new studios being announced at a time let alone within a year though. I can see 1 more studio being bought or built up in 2021 tho.

Oct 31, 2017
I love the PS ecosystem, but I do have to say I haven't been as impressed at the diversity of Sony's first party this generation (that said, PS2/PS3 releases were 100% more my jam) . So I'm not offended if someone thinks that Microsoft has put together a stable of quality developers that are capable to create a variety of great games across a host of industries that surpasses Sony's ability to do so.

They all have strengths and weaknesses. I'm probably more excited about Microsoft's offering next gen, just given the loads of new IP we'll likely see versus (from what we know), Sony's studios are more focused on sequels. Don't have the bandwidth to get Scarlett though, so I'll admire afar!

The issue people have is that we're crediting variety for games that haven't been announced/released. The only real comparison we can make is what's been released. Can anyone actually say that this year's two games from MS is diverse compared to nearly any other big publisher?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The issue people have is that we're crediting variety for games that haven't been announced/released. The only real comparison we can make is what's been released. Can anyone actually say that this year's two games from MS is diverse compared to nearly any other big publisher?
I don't have an X1 so I can't rattle off their exclusives off the top of my head. I think what people are excited for is that Microsoft took its current output, which upon a quick glance, was fairly diverse already, many of which were good quality (definitely not the quality of Nintendo or quantity of Sony) add in the 6-7 studios they acquired over the past two years (looking at their output this generation as a reference point of what we can expect from each developer) and all of a sudden, Microsoft first party looks pretty exhaustive in terms of reach compared to other publishers**.

I don't think anyone is wrong per se.

**Sony is also supporting a VR platform simultaneously so it could be argued it's not a fair comparison.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Who has the best suite of studios is obviously down to personal preference though does Xbox now have the most diverse studio output out of the big three? I'd say they do now.
I'd say it's better argued that they're more or less even in this regard than anything else. Certain things balance their other out. PlayStation has 2 dedicated VR studios, the team that created Dreams, the team that makes that Major League Baseball game, a Japan Studio consisting of several teams with a history of working on diverse games, Insomniac which splits its time between 3 categories of game, the newfound duality of Guerrilla, and other studios that also have dual output such as Santa Monica.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
With the inclusion of Xbox Publishing and a Japanese studio, I'd say XGS is going to deliver the widest variety of content going forward.