• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This is the right call for now. I think they should focus on getting the ball rolling for next gen. That said, I think buying Asobo and DontNod aren't bad calls given they are second party now. Not the devs you want to lose, but better to wait and let them finish up their committments at other publishers.

Dec 21, 2017
For the longest time, Microsoft seemed to have an identity crisis about halfway through the Xbone's lifespan, wherein Phil has to clean up a huge mess, and i'd say he's done fairly well with relying on Gamepass and XCloud for the future to give the console market some innovation in thier own niche. The acquisitions are nice, but they tend to have the developers I like for a genre going in a completely different direction, and not in a particularly good way? You'd think Microsoft + Obsidian would be an RPG, but nope. I'm not a fan of what I saw, but personal taste etc.

I want to like the Xbox, and I hope they can sell me on the inevitable Scarlett Pro.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Microsoft is going to have a great next generation. They have prepared for many years. They will not repeat the same mistakes that they did this time. It's just like how Sony recovered from PS3 and Nintendo recovered from GameCube and Wii U.

Both consoles will probably be almost identical in power. They are no longer using different technologies to make something better or worse. So it all comes down to games, features and services. I am very confident that Microsoft will deliver big time next gen.

Feb 10, 2018
The future is looking very bright for xbox and gamers, great time to be a gamer.

When we play together, we all win 💖

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
And Sony has just begun acquiring studios with Insomniac Games!

Seriously, I was really hoping Microsoft would get 4A Games for the next Metro title, and also to make a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
This is the right call for now. I think they should focus on getting the ball rolling for next gen. That said, I think buying Asobo and DontNod aren't bad calls given they are second party now. Not the devs you want to lose, but better to wait and let them finish up their committments at other publishers.

Eh, how's that even remotely true?

Eh4Ek9u.jpg

Six out of seven games have been available on PS platforms as well, so I don't see how the studio is something MS "wouldn't want to lose".

It's essentially the same as saying, it's not a bad call to prevent their games from being released on other platforms.

Case in point...

They're done with studios and moving onto publishers.

pMNWb1L.jpg

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I feel they need a few more studios to reach the levels they need to be at but they are ok for now I suppose. They will need to expand further next generation though.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I kind of expected them to buy one or two more studios, like Remedy, Dontnod or Ready at dawn.

Also, as promising as many of them look, I cannot but feel that many of them have yet to show off their skills at developing AAA games, whereas Sony got Insomniac which we all know are beyong amazing at developing games and have shown many times what they can achieve if given enough time and a big budget.

Don't get me wrong, Ninja Theory, Double Fine and Playground and Obsidian are all well known for their quality, and I don't want to shit on the other smaller studios.

It's just that the new studios like Compulsion games or InXile all look way smaller and are yet to show off what they can do with an AAA budget.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are good for now. Honestly they have a good chunk of studios working on very diverse games. Scarlett will have lots to offer.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. It was necessary to acquire those studios to catch up to the competition and they admitted as much. Now we get to see if they deliver or not.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hopefully this is them saying "stop making lists online about who we should buy and look forward to the games the teams we have will make. Better yet go and actually play some games now, go on, it won't hurt you".

Because it was getting to meme status. Or it was a drinking game but those on the inside never told anyone else.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
That post about Xbox having the "best" lineup of studios seems like low quality bait and we all fell for it

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The acquisition talk will continue because this ain't over for MS or Sony, imo.
In 1 year they more than doubled their 1P count so winding down could just mean acquiring less studios in the near future. MS going in hard with GP next gen
also means they'll probably keep looking out for good talent to join their teams.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have the best lineup of studios in the industry now easily. Shifting focus seems wise.
In what world is this even remotely true? Avatar checks out, I guess? You think Xbox has more GOTY winners than Sony and Nintendo all of a sudden? Some acquisitions here and there doesn't change much until we see real results. I don't think you know how this works at all.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
You consider these handful of meager studios to be on par with Nintendo or Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Japan Studio, etc.?

LMAOOOO

Your list is 5 third person action game studios and Japan Studio. I like a good Naughty Dog game as much as the next person, but it's pretty easy to see MS has way more variety of output at this point. They have multiple studios making games in genres that Sony doesn't even compete in any more (WRPG, arcade racing, shared world games, FPS). I mean, if I'm an RPG fan, what does Sony offer? Horizon?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It really is true, who else comes close at getting such a wide variety of genres covered with great quality studios all setup to expand and improve. No one.
With wide variety in the same way MS have? no one. But you ignore the fact MS have their studios setup in small teams developing AA titles to cover many of the genres they're lacking. Sony on other hands are expanding their studios to work on bigger games than they're doing on the PS4 which is leading obviously to less genres being covered as a result.
Nintendo has made very few acquisitions and does not have that many first party studios. And there are a lot of genres that Sony's first part studios haven't touched in over a decade. I'll eat a mediocre sandwich with way too much mustard if one of Sony's major studios makes an RTS on the PS5.
MS doesn't have a studio that develops RTS games either. Their RTS studio is a support studio while the game is developed by Relic (owned by Sega).

Last edited:

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
For MS purposes the new studios are perfect to push Game Pass.
How they will do with their next big games in 3-4 years is the question.

Sony has just another target with their 1st party. They do not look to develop more smaller games, but fewer bigger games. Than again Sony pushes VR and content.

We have different approaches/philosophies between MS and Sony with 1st party.

I still prefer 1st party from SIE, but MS makes it almost painless with Game Pass to enjoy all.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Bloodborne, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 7R? Even the new God of War had RPG elements lol.

I mean, that kind of makes my point for me. You list a 2nd party game from 5 years ago, 3rd party game, 3rd party game, multiplat, and God of War. Thought we were talking first party studios?

Look Sony WWS have done an awesome job. Can't dispute the quality, the awards, etc. etc. Horizon is probably my favorite game this gen. But they are nowhere near MS in terms of variety of output at this point, and if you're a fan of certain genres - like RPGs - it's easy to see MS as the leader in terms of 1st party output. That was completely implausible a couple years ago.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that kind of makes my point for me. You list a 2nd party game from 5 years ago, 3rd party game, 3rd party game, multiplat, and God of War. Thought we were talking first party studios?

Look Sony WWS have done an awesome job. Can't dispute the quality, the awards, etc. etc. Horizon is probably my favorite game this gen. But they are nowhere near MS in terms of variety of output at this point, and if you're a fan of certain genres - like RPGs - it's easy to see MS as the leader in terms of 1st party output. That was completely implausible a couple years ago.
Actually, whether they're 1st party or not, you dismissing them as if they're not exclusive doesn't make your point since you'll need a PlayStation to play these critically acclaimed games. Sure you can talk about Microsoft's 1st party studios, but have they made anything that left the same impact or not? Bloodborne alone went on to become the most praised game I've seen this gen, and the IP belongs to Sony.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have the best lineup of studios in the industry now easily. Shifting focus seems wise.

I swear to god this isn't console wearing but— what??? Nintendo and Sony both clearly outstrip Microsoft's stable on their own. If you took any studio from Microsoft's save for The Coalition and Turn 10, they would be among the worst studios in Sony's lineup. That isn't even to say that they are bad, but there's no way that Microsoft's lineup remotely meets the quality of Nintendo or Sony. The only way you could make an argument would be to make an argument for greater relative diversity, but that's separate from overall quality.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Still feel remedy would be a good fit for the overall output. They need a studio like this, sp with nice gfx

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
We can probably stop dogpiling the guy on page 1 who thinks Xbox has the best studio lineup now. Some time after the 15th or 16th notification, he probably got the message that the entire SIE OT disagrees.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea for Microsoft to build up a presence in Asia. Not necessarily buy a studio, but maybe start one of their own and definitely increase partnerships. Whatever the employee head count at Microsoft Japan is, it isn't enough. And not just in Japan either. Having little to no presence in Asia means there still work to be done. That's where a lot of the finest game development in the world is happening today.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Actually, whether they're 1st party or not, you dismissing them as if they're not exclusive doesn't make your point since you'll need a PlayStation to play these critically acclaimed games. Sure you can talk about Microsoft's 1st party studios, but have they made anything that left the same impact or not? Bloodborne alone went on to become the most praised game I've seen this gen, and the IP belongs to Sony.

Oh, I didn't realize we were just blatantly moving the goalposts. Remember yesterday when Yakuza was PS exclusive too? But fine, let's count Nioh and Persona. Maybe they won't go multiplat at E3. You're still up to 0 WRPG studios, where MS is bringing Obsidian, inXile, and Playground 2. Why is it so painful for you to admit MS clearly has an advantage in certain genres? It's ok to see each player's strengths.

Also not sure why you're bringing up Bloodborne. It's only tangentially an RPG and is just another From formula game from From. Great game for those who love that style, but in the end a couple million sales to existing fans. If I'm a big fan of Fallout or Baldur's Gate or even Skyrim, I'm probably not dying to play Bloodborne.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can't even take this opinion seriously. They both cover very specific things and do it well. Xbox has everything.

You must be joking. Let's revisit this opinion in a few years. Xbox made some great and sorely needed aquisitions, but these acquisitions are not remotely bridging the quality gap between them and Nintendo/Sony. Most of their studios are far from producing their best work and the proof will be in the pudding.