• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I have all three of them. I have all the games practically from all the of them. The last game I finished was Detroit and the last game I bought was Luigi's Mansion. Maybe you should research.
Ok so does a lot of people here but I don't get the statement that Xbox has more variety than the competition, Luigi's mansion is like Mario kart? Or botw?

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Thats good, wasn't a huge fan of the acquisition phase unless the studio was in trouble. Who they have can make a wide variety of stuff which is great. I don't need every single game to be a single player, action adventure, cinematic experience revolving around daddy-issues.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Nintendo has made very few acquisitions and does not have that many first party studios. And there are a lot of genres that Sony's first part studios haven't touched in over a decade. I'll eat a mediocre sandwich with way too much mustard if one of Sony's major studios makes an RTS on the PS5.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox is "shifting focus" from studio acquisitions to a new phase of "execution and delivery," its studios boss told media at X019 on Thursday.
In the past 18 months Xbox has aggressively expanded its portfolio of first-party studios via acquisitions and studio launches, ahead of the release of its next-gen console Project Scarlett in 2020.

more at the link

With MS stopping the acquisition of studios how do you feel about the current state of their first party and the future it brings going forward?
I don't have an Xbox anymore but that's what I wanted to hear now I will keep a look for the next gen version and see if they keep up what they are saying.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Their current first party stuff doesn't interest me at all. I'm hopeful the new studios have some fresh new IP ideas that resonate with me more.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And there are a lot of genres that Sony's first part studios haven't touched in over a decade. I'll eat a mediocre sandwich with way too much mustard if one of Sony's major studios makes an RTS on the PS5.

And some Xbox major studio will make a baseball or golf game?

This argument won't go anywhere, all have great studios.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Shifting focus doesn't mean they're done. I'm sure we'll see some more in the next year or two, but if not they've got a pretty good line-up. Let these developers do their thing and Scarlett will have a good variety of first-party games. Next-gen should be an exciting one, at the very least.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
What does this mean for next-gen launch window lineups? If they are just finishing studio acquisitions and are now in the "execution" phase, when's the earliest we can see the fruits of their labor so to speak? A typical dev cycle for a AAA game these days is at least 2 to 3 years at the shortest if I'm not mistaken. By all accounts, we should see next-gen hardware by late 2020. I get the feeling that MS and Sony are both going to be relying a lot on cross-gen software and backwards compatibility. Despite PS4 being my main console this gen, I think MS has done a better job messaging in regards to the future in the past few years and stuff like Game Pass is great. That said, they've ALWAYS had a problem with first-party output, especially this gen. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence if they are just now starting serious development on their first party software lineup based on their recent acquisitions.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It really is true, who else comes close at getting such a wide variety of genres covered with great quality studios all setup to expand and improve. No one.

Sure dude. Xbox is going to the right direction, but as of yet and in terms of quality, the recently acquired studios have released nothing which could be fairly compared to the big ones at Sony or Nintendo. Who's to say about future but I just don't understand the need to go so over the top with this kind of praise. Sony, Nintendo and MS all have certain genres and games which the other two don't have. What you're saying is just so delusional imo.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean for next-gen launch window lineups? If they are just finishing studio acquisitions and are now in the "execution" phase, when's the earliest we can see the fruits of their labor so to speak? A typical dev cycle for a AAA game these days is at least 2 to 3 years at the shortest if I'm not mistaken. By all accounts, we should see next-gen hardware by late 2020. I get the feeling that MS and Sony are both going to be relying a lot on cross-gen software and backwards compatibility. Despite PS4 being my main console this gen, I think MS has done a better job messaging in regards to the future in the past few years and stuff like Game Pass is great. That said, they've ALWAYS had a problem with first-party output, especially this gen. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence if they are just now starting serious development on their first party software lineup based on their recent acquisitions.
Bro just wait for E3, it's a tradition at this point.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing about those quotes suggests that they're done with acquiring studios. Simply that the overall focus is no longer the purchase of studios.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has made very few acquisitions and does not have that many first party studios. And there are a lot of genres that Sony's first part studios haven't touched in over a decade. I'll eat a mediocre sandwich with way too much mustard if one of Sony's major studios makes an RTS on the PS5.
You know how I know that you're full of shit?
There's no such thing as too much mustard

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
When MS say they will temporary stop there will always be hardcore fans who like to spin the words to "we might see 2 or 3 acquisitions around Scarlett launch or early 2021". It's similar to Jim Ryan's comment who is always looking into studio acquisitions with care and will not be on random terms and jeopardize the risks.

Oct 28, 2017
It really is true, who else comes close at getting such a wide variety of genres covered with great quality studios all setup to expand and improve. No one.

Cheers mate. Idk if I'd say most varied, but I will say that as a PC player: Halo, Forza, and Gears of War appeal to my preferences more than what Sony and Nintendo are offering. Acquiring Ninja Theory and Obsidian, and the potential of both Fable 4 and Rare's Everwild just strengthen my confidence in the brand. Game Pass certainly helps as well.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
This is not true at all, they are still acquiring an American and Japanese study.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
They are still going to be acquiring...it's just going to be as fast as what they did in the past. Remember that their focus is to bring in regular cadence of games to gamepass and they need diversity of their titles...and exclusive ones like that (*cough* japan *cough*). It's not over...it's just that you shouldn't expect them at every show.